Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Grocery Games - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Is this the first time Zane has been a judge? I know Guy promised it to him when his show didn't go forward on Guy's Big Project. 

Oh, thanks! I was totally blanking on why I should know him.

• Love 1

I liked the firefighters too.  I was rooting for the nice looking captain who placed second but I thought the woman who won was really attractive.  I loved her pixie haircut.  

In the second hour, I liked both the guys in the final round but I was happy that Panini Pete finally won one.  I liked him both times he was on before.

The first time that Thai woman was on, she could barely speak English and Jet Tila did some translating for her.  This time, her English was fine and they didn't even need subtitles.  Curious.  :)  She was annoying and I was glad to see her go.

• Love 2
On 3/18/2018 at 10:32 PM, mlp said:

In the second hour, I liked both the guys in the final round but I was happy that Panini Pete finally won one.  I liked him both times he was on before.

Panini Pete had me when he said his charities included no-kill pet shelters.

Lovelovelove.

• Love 4

It was clear from the beginning who the two finalists would be.  The older guy pizza maker was one-note, and the woman pizza maker seemed to be way out of her league (plus, you're going to be on tee-vee, maybe you should wear a bra!).

• Love 1
1 minute ago, roughing it said:

It was clear from the beginning who the two finalists would be.  The older guy pizza maker was one-note, and the woman pizza maker seemed to be way out of her league (plus, you're going to be on tee-vee, maybe you should wear a bra!).

Agreed on both counts. I also thought her hair would have benefitted from being brushed.

• Love 1

I was listening/watching the pizza episode that was on last night.  The judges were Mark  Murphy, Eddie Jackson, and Tregaye Fraser.  The previous time I saw Tregaye judging, she was almost mute.  This time, Tregaye, in trying to be hip, used so much jargon, she was incomprehensible in most of her commentary.  IMO she would have been better off staying mute.

• Love 2

Just watched the April Fool's show and I was so glad that Justin won. I think he was truly surprised he won since the other two seem to always be the winners in the judges contest! He has really grown on me since he was on the Food Network Star...he has grown up but still has interesting twists in his cooking. He also can come up with great dishes no matter what is thrown at him. I truly enjoyed the show tonight.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

Just watched the April Fool's show and I was so glad that Justin won. I think he was truly surprised he won since the other two seem to always be the winners in the judges contest! He has really grown on me since he was on the Food Network Star...he has grown up but still has interesting twists in his cooking. He also can come up with great dishes no matter what is thrown at him. I truly enjoyed the show tonight.

I was so happy that he finally won one of these shows. His shocked reaction was so cute and refreshing. 

• Love 5

Justin was cracking me up because he had the same look on his face I would have had if I'd been bamboozled like that.  I was also glad he won.  I absolutely couldn't stand him during his season on FNS but he's grown up and toned down his shtick and I actively like him now.  

• Love 7

I was hoping Panini Pete would win.  He seems like a really nice guy.  When it came down to the final two, I was hoping for Bobby and I thought his dish looked a lot better than Carl's pork chop.  I don't really dislike Carl but he gets obnoxious  about that belt and I get the impression that it's not just for fun.

• Love 2

Note to future contestants:  if you want to win, don't use frozen fries!

Guy really rounded up some good DDD folks for this tournament.  Panini Pete is very likeable, but I figured he was in trouble when he chose the French bread (or whatever type of bread that was) for his sandwiches.  I was also hoping for a Bobby win in the end.  Carl knows how to plan his dishes to hit what the judges will look for.  Very classy on his part to donate the $5,000 to Bobby's charity.

• Love 6

Along with the others, I agree with the new improved Justin. Couldn’t stand him on FNS, but it seems he has matured, dialied down the red lipstick, and is interesting to listen to.

Unlike the other posters, though, Cuban Carl has grown on me. I thought he was a one note braggart who got lucky, but whenever he cooks, he exhibits an intelligence and a willingness to explain what he is doing, and never seems to get flustered in the challenges. 

• Love 7

Mike on last night's episode reminded me of a greasier, lighter-haired version of Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day. He seemed like a nice enough guy but I don't like fingernail polish on anyone who is cooking and fingernail polish on men grosses me out for some reason. 

I was glad Tamra won. I hope she got the motorcycle for her son.

• Love 2

I thought Mike was really creepy looking.  I couldn't decide if he was wearing black eyeliner or just looked like that and I hate black nail polish.  He did seem like a nice guy though.  Tamra also was wearing nail polish, all different colors, and I also hate to see it during cooking.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I thought Mike was really creepy looking.  I couldn't decide if he was wearing black eyeliner or just looked like that and I hate black nail polish. 

Oh, totally agree. I did not mean the Billie Joe Armstrong comment to be a compliment. It's a good thing he seemed like a nice guy because eyew.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

Mike on last night's episode reminded me of a greasier, lighter-haired version of Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day. He seemed like a nice enough guy but I don't like fingernail polish on anyone who is cooking and fingernail polish on men grosses me out for some reason. 

I was glad Tamra won. I hope she got the motorcycle for her son.

I agree.  Call me old-fashioned, but cuisine and the Goth look are off-putting when combined.  I might have felt differently if I'd just listened to Mike without the disturbing visual.  He certainly seemed well-meaning with his desire to teach cooking to at-risk  kids.

Despite the nail polish, I found Tamra to be a jolly soul who cooked with gusto.  I'm glad she won.

• Love 4
(edited)

I was surprised to enjoy the kid episode last night. My caveat is that it involved two of my least favorite judges: Melissa self-righteous condescending chirpface D'Arabian and Catherine "Who?" McCord or whatever her name is.  Too bad they couldn't get good judges for this one.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 3

Peggy, the girl who won, was on the kids' baking show two or three seasons ago.  She was a delightful little girl then and seemed just the same only older.  I was happy to see her again.  

I totally agree about Melissa and Catherine.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, mlp said:

Peggy, the girl who won, was on the kids' baking show two or three seasons ago.  She was a delightful little girl then and seemed just the same only older.  I was happy to see her again.  

Peggy and Matthew were from Kids Baking Championship while Tavia and Claire were on Chopped Jr. previously.

They all did really well on this episode of GGG too.  

When I was looking up Kids Baking Championship I noticed that Melissa D'Arabian's daughter Charlotte was on the 3rd season. They don't really use the kids last names on there each week so I don't think I realized who she was at the time.

• Love 1

When I was looking up Kids Baking Championship I noticed that Melissa D'Arabian's daughter Charlotte was on the 3rd season. They don't really use the kids last names on there each week so I don't think I realized who she was at the time.

I picked up on that when the kids introduced themselves during the first episode and mentioned it on the thread for the season.  We had some discussion about it because it didn't seem right that an employee's kid was on the show.  She ended up being eliminated early on so it never became a big issue.

• Love 1

The 5/15 ep was the first GGG I didn't enjoy much.  The contestants and dishes weren't appealing, and what's with skipping the run through the store and just handing the guy $20K?

Yeah, that was sort of odd. The contestants were not that engaging and they were a rough-looking bunch, to boot. I wasn't a fan of Mr. "In Tucson, we eat spice!" who won, either. It's not like it's a dining destination, dude, dial it back 10 notches.

That was an odd group.  The blonde woman looked like Damaris would look if she suddenly gained about 80 pounds.  I didn't really mind the goofy guy in the wild shirt but I was sort of glad he didn't win because I always worry that the extremely overweight cooks are going to drop over with heart failure from running through the store.  I didn't get why they skipped the final run for the 20K either.  I enjoy that part.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:01 AM, mlp said:

That was an odd group.  The blonde woman looked like Damaris would look if she suddenly gained about 80 pounds.  I didn't really mind the goofy guy in the wild shirt but I was sort of glad he didn't win because I always worry that the extremely overweight cooks are going to drop over with heart failure from running through the store.  I didn't get why they skipped the final run for the 20K either.  I enjoy that part.

I got the idea that they just ran out of time because of 3 people presenting food to the judges.  

• Love 1

Just watched the Biggest Burger contest....whoa, have you ever seen such decadent burgers? I love, love, love Darnell but was really happy to see Mackenzie win! She had some amazing burgers and now she can have the wedding of her dreams. Can't wait to see Darnell come back....his cooking is always way out there and everyone seems to love his cooking...come on Guy, have him back again really soon. (I sorta' wish they could come up with a cooking show for him. I should watch it!) 

• Love 5

Guy was just on the Tonight Show w Jimmy Fallon.  Guy seems to be very good-hearted and down to earth. I love that he highlights the small mom & pop restaurants.  I just like him, at least from what I’ve seen on TV over all these years.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love Darnell too! I was thinking how much I liked him a few weeks ago when I was watching the episode he was on with his mom, and so I was happy to see him again. I was bummed he didn’t take it but I was happy for Mackenzie as well. 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 2

Yeah, Darnell is a real find, not to sound too cynical about it -- he's got a great look, apparently great food, and is great TV! Also I loved his mom. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/26/2018 at 8:37 AM, Hero said:

http://blindgossip.com/?p=91848

People are guessing that this blind is about Guy. 

Tyler Florence?  He does 3 shows.   Alton Brown?  He drank heavily for awhile but stopped fairly recently.  I highly doubt it is Guy but I couldn’t say exactly why.  Just doesn’t seem to fit. 

Edited by Wings

I got to see Darnell again today during the marathon...I know I have already seen this episode but watched it again just to watch him. It was the Budget game...his run for the money at the end was not great but his cooking sure was! I am a fan!!!!!

• Love 1

I was happy that Mackenzie won until it came time for her to run the store at the end. Her narration during that time about drove me up a wall and back down. She must have a really good income outside of the show if she's going to use all of her winnings on a wedding. How each of the $4000 items were going to cover different aspects of it like $4000 for her dress, $4000 for catering so she wouldn't have to cook, $4000 for an open bar and etc....

• Love 1
On 5/27/2018 at 10:32 PM, Wings said:

Tyler Florence?  He does 3 shows.   Alton Brown?  He drank heavily for awhile but stopped fairly recently.  I highly doubt it is Guy but I couldn’t say exactly why.  Just doesn’t seem to fit. 

Please let it not be my FN Husband Tyler. 

On 5/31/2018 at 9:17 PM, Hero said:

I cannot stand Alex. She is so annoying. I wish they would stop having her on this show. 

Alex AND Carl the Cuban in the final two.  I didn't know which overexposed, rammed-down-my-throat jagoff I wanted to lose more.

• Love 2