Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Grocery Games - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Of course Alex is safe.  She is, after all, the Queen.  I'm betting she wins this one or is the final two.  I thought her and Eric should have been in the bottom with Marc and Maneet.  Jet and Richard's was more creative on the steak and eggs over the chili cheese fries.

• Love 3

I can't stand Alex. They put her on this pedestal and it's like she does no wrong. I hate when she is in any kind of competition because it seems like she always wins.

Nooooooooooo... Jet :( I love him. I wish he would win a competition. I like to watch him cook and think he just so cute and nice. 

• Love 3
On 9/12/2016 at 3:10 PM, Crucial said:

Of course Alex is safe.  She is, after all, the Queen.  I'm betting she wins this one or is the final two.  I thought her and Eric should have been in the bottom with Marc and Maneet.  Jet and Richard's was more creative on the steak and eggs over the chili cheese fries.

For years I couldn't stand Alex on Chopped and called her Pooh Face.  On her own cooking show, though, she came across as very soothing and fluid in her demonstrations.

That said - she manages to sail through every single challenge when she competes.  Is she that great, or does FN have a large investment in her unconquerable mystique?

(I thought Amanda Freitag outcooked her, BTW.)

• Love 1

Well I guess they had to freak us out with Alex on the bottom.  Judges are afraid to say anything negative to her.  Speaking of the judges, the one guy with the hat and glasses.  I hope he is done with the judging for a while.  I don't care if he won a GGG competition either.  He's awful and I don't think some of these chefs care for him.  Loved when Eric shut him up about this BLT.  I'm sure it will be Richard and Alex as the final two with Alex winning.  She's an Iron Chef and Queen Alex.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Crucial said:

Well I guess they had to freak us out with Alex on the bottom.  Judges are afraid to say anything negative to her.  Speaking of the judges, the one guy with the hat and glasses.  I hope he is done with the judging for a while.  I don't care if he won a GGG competition either.  He's awful and I don't think some of these chefs care for him.  Loved when Eric shut him up about this BLT.  I'm sure it will be Richard and Alex as the final two with Alex winning.  She's an Iron Chef and Queen Alex.

I didn't even know what that critique to Greenspan was supposed to mean - was the dish more ingredient based or more chef based? If it was chef-based, wouldn't Greenspan have tried to make a grilled cheese?

• Love 1

I was really worried about Marc, but he pulled through.  I like Eric Greenspan, but watching him sweat over food makes me queasy.

Alex is Alex.  Most of us feel the fix is in.  Her breakfast sandwich did look delicious, though.

I was disappointed with the automatic pass for Blais.

• Love 1

That's what I thought too LexieLily.  I turned off when it was her and Richard as the final two.  They should have had different judges in each episode.  I didn't see the point of having the same 3 when they have never done that with any other Championship.

Imagine my surprise!  Alex didn't even have to do the manic shopping run.  Just - poof - 40K into her self-named charity.  I'm not exactly a Blais fan, but I'd rather the money had gone to his Seal Dogs project.

The judge from DDD can retire now.  He skeeves me out.

• Love 4

You do know it's not Alex's charity, right? She supports Alex's Lemonade Stand, but the name is just a coincidence. It's an AMAZING charity. Seriously, if you aren't familiar with it, I urge your to look it up and read the real Alex's story. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

You do know it's not Alex's charity, right? She supports Alex's Lemonade Stand, but the name is just a coincidence. It's an AMAZING charity. Seriously, if you aren't familiar with it, I urge your to look it up and read the real Alex's story. 

Thank you for pointing that out.  Alex G hasn't to my knowledge.  (and I actually like Alex, but FN seems to have a real bias when she competes.)

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 1

I actually watched the episode until its end. I had hoped that Blais would have pulled out the win. Alex wins everything on that channel.

I didn't mind Carl when he was competing on the GGG's DDD's chef competition, but he sucks as a judge. He's annoying. I like Troy. I don't mind Aarti.

• Love 2

Alex is an amazing chef but really doesn't have the persona for a Food Network celeb. Had she come around a few years later and missed her chance to be an Iron Chef, I don't think Next Food Network Star would have been kind to her. (Then again, Justin Warner won so what do I know?)

The other 3 have both skills, and while Blais needs to get hip to the fact that gimmicks wear on the audience when we see them every time I'm still a big fan of his. I'd still rather see him on his own show than touring all the other ones.

Is it just me or does the prize seem a little lackluster? $40k is a decent chunk I guess. But considering they got several shows out of this I'd expect they could afford more than $1000 for the others. Are they paying appearance fees for their celebs that eat into the budget?

2 hours ago, Amarsir said:

Alex is an amazing chef but really doesn't have the persona for a Food Network celeb. Had she come around a few years later and missed her chance to be an Iron Chef, I don't think Next Food Network Star would have been kind to her. (Then again, Justin Warner won so what do I know?)

The other 3 have both skills, and while Blais needs to get hip to the fact that gimmicks wear on the audience when we see them every time I'm still a big fan of his. I'd still rather see him on his own show than touring all the other ones.

Is it just me or does the prize seem a little lackluster? $40k is a decent chunk I guess. But considering they got several shows out of this I'd expect they could afford more than $1000 for the others. Are they paying appearance fees for their celebs that eat into the budget?

Yeah, Chopped's been pulling that $50k tournament gimmick for years.  Instead of paying out $10k for a single ep, they run the competition for 4 weeks plus a 5th playoff - where the award a magnanimous $50k.

• Love 2

I knew Alex would win when she made fish. I don't hate her because I like competitive women who are actually talented. They aren't doing her any favors by making the competitions look fixed.

I'll be honest, I initially thought she was a spoiled girl who got ahead because of her mother's connections but as far as I can tell, she's the real deal. I was reading one of Jeffrey Steingarten's books (written before Chopped) and he mentioned her as one of the best chefs in NY, and she does have the credentials. Sure, maybe she could get a stage  at Guy Savoy based on connections, but apparently she was their first female poissonnier, and she worked there a few years and no way would a Michelin starred restaurant keep somebody on the line who wasn't madly talented-there are too many other qualified chefs who would kill for that job.

Anyway, I just assume that her food just really is that good.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

By all accounts, Alex is an outstanding chef.  I don't think she wins in competitions any more than Flay and Simon.  She's never won a Chopped Tournament nor did  she win on Cutthroat Kitchen.  I don't know what reason they'd have to favor her when she doesn't have her own show and hasn't in years.   She's not my favorite but I'd sure as hell rather see her win than Blais, who I've gone from being indifferent to in his Top Chef days to downright loathing now.  He makes such an ass of himself anymore and he's still an arrogant prick.   Every time he gets a negative comment he gets a pissy look on his face and makes some snotty comment in his talking head.  He really thinks his shit doesn't stink.   

• Love 4

I detest Guy but like when known chefs compete.  I used to dislike Blais but I have come to like him now and appreciate his skill.  

Alex is one of my favorite chefs and I knew she would win the final round with fish, too.  They had been eating red meat most of the entire competition and her meal was a lighter breath of fresh air.  

This is the first time I had seen Carl.  I love the guy!  Off to google him. 

• Love 1
On September 26, 2016 at 8:18 AM, spiderpig said:

Thank you for pointing that out.  Alex G hasn't to my knowledge.  (and I actually like Alex, but FN seems to have a real bias when she competes.)

I just assumed most had heard of Alex's Lemonade Stand by now. They have become synonymous with childhood cancer research over the last decade. Alex G is hosting an event tonight, Lemon:NYC, with 20 top chefs. She's also been a part of the Great Chefs Event in Philadelphia a couple of times that is a major fundraiser for them. I used to work for a chain of stores based in Philly and one of their major fundraisers is for Alex's Lemonade. One year they bought a couple tables at the Great Chefs event and one of the store mangers I worked with got to go. She said it was absolutely amazing and one of the best things she's ever got to attend in her life. 

I like Carl too.  I liked him the first time he was on as a competitor and I've liked him the couple times he's been back as a judge.  I thought it was a bit odd that both Carl and Philip have acted as judges before they came back as competitors last night.  I guess that didn't really matter but it seemed unusual.  

Philip looked very cute with his new haircut.  He has a great smile.  The Philip we saw last night is the same Philip who was on Chopped and GGG in the past.  I have a hard time reconciling that guy with the doofus who was on Top Chef.

On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 1:50 PM, wings707 said:

Carl Ruiz is my new favorite chef.  He could do stand up.  I want to see more of him.  ***stomps feet***

I just happened to catch the tail end of the show and he was hilarious. I'd like to see both of them together again. I was happy when he finally took the gloves off though lol.

Edited by CrazyDog

This past Sunday, I caught what turns out to be a four-week "GGG Impossible" tournament starring ... wait for it ... wait for it ... Robert Irvine.  Three chefs will compete in the first two challenges.  The winner wins $10,000 and a spot in the finale. There's an additional $10,000 if he/she wins in the third challenge against Irvine.

Week 1 (12/04/2016) judges: Richard Blais, Brandi Milloy, Robert Irvine
Week 2 (12/11/2016) judges: Richard Blais, G. Garvin, Robert Irvine
Week 3 (12/18/2016) judges: Richard Blais, Brandi Milloy, Robert Irvine
Week 4 (12/25/2016) judges: Richard Blais, G. Garvin, Robert Irvine

On 12/6/2016 at 8:31 AM, jcbrown said:

I saw the first part of that last night. Was looking forward to turning off my brain for a bit with this show and there is the muscle-bound pinheaded bully Irvine. And four weeks of him! Ack!

What is it with FN and Irvine - contractual obligations?

• Love 1

the judges have let RI  win the last 3 episodes.   His cooking cannot be that good.  I figure RI mediocre at best.   It must be scripted to let him “win”.   Or maybe it is just because I cannot stand him and he really is that good of a cook but I don’t think so.

• Love 5

I'm not a fan of Guy Fieri but I do think he does a good job with GGG and I usually enjoy the show.  I am, however, barely enduring the episodes with Robert Irvine who is loathsome IMO.  I'm not sure why I'm even watching.  I've noticed two things that seem a bit curious.  For all of Robert's constant bragging about being such a "he-man" who spends hours daily at the gym, he seems quite out of breath after running the shopping spree.  Also, I've seen people on various shows comment on how huge and imposing he is just like the female contestant last night did but, at the end, when everyone gathers around, he doesn't look like he's much taller than Guy who is, I'd guess, only 5'9" or 5'10".  

Giving Robert the win for his "deconstructed" casserole was a crock.  A dish has to meet certain criteria to be considered a casserole and various stuff on a plate does not.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I'm not a fan of Guy Fieri but I do think he does a good job with GGG and I usually enjoy the show.  I am, however, barely enduring the episodes with Robert Irvine who is loathsome IMO.  I'm not sure why I'm even watching.  I've noticed two things that seem a bit curious.  For all of Robert's constant bragging about being such a "he-man" who spends hours daily at the gym, he seems quite out of breath after running the shopping spree.  Also, I've seen people on various shows comment on how huge and imposing he is just like the female contestant last night did but, at the end, when everyone gathers around, he doesn't look like he's much taller than Guy who is, I'd guess, only 5'9" or 5'10".  

Giving Robert the win for his "deconstructed" casserole was a crock.  A dish has to meet certain criteria to be considered a casserole and various stuff on a plate does not.

Rigged, alright.  Aren't the other contestants playing for themselves, but RI constantly plugs, at some length, his own charity for veterans?  I'm all for supporting veterans, but what veterans is he talking about? Disabled? US? British? Both?  He's deliberately vague on what his veteran's charity actually does.

I'd Google it, but I'm not in the mood.

6 hours ago, mlp said:

I'm not a fan of Guy Fieri but I do think he does a good job with GGG and I usually enjoy the show.  I am, however, barely endurhow is the oe end, when everyone gathers around, he doesn't look like he's much taller than Guy who is, I'd guess, only 5'9" or 5'10".  

That's what he gets from just working the show muscles and no endurance or cardio.  Google says Irvine is only 5'10", making him shorter than Bobby Flay for whatever that's worth.

I completely agree about the deconstruction. If it's not cooked in one dish it's not a casserole.

5 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Rigged, alright.  Aren't the other contestants playing for themselves, but RI constantly plugs, at some length, his own charity for veterans?  I'm all for supporting veterans, but what veterans is he talking about? Disabled? US? British? Both?  He's deliberately vague on what his veteran's charity actually does.

I'd Google it, but I'm not in the mood.

Stranger than that: some of the contestants were playing for charity and some were playing for themselves. there's nothing wrong with that per se, but you do you think the woman who wanted the money for a "family nest egg" felt competing against a guy supporting a foundation for disadvantaged kids?

I did look into what Irvine's charity does and I'm still not sure. I think they give grants for any worthy reason to anyone connected with military past or present. I have no idea how efficient they are and I'm not going to badmouth a charity, but it does feel like a bit like it's intentionally vague so Irvine can do whatever publicity-worthy thing he wants with the foundation.

• Love 2

What I want for Christmas is my show back without the loathsome (thanks, mlp, for the perfect one-word descriptor) Robert Irvine. I watch this to turn my brain off, not to grind my teeth and seethe. And how is it even to work? If he "wins" every episode, is there no finale because there is no one for him to compete against? We can only hope that the rigging of the competition at least has that good collateral effect.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, jcbrown said:

And how is it even to work? If he "wins" every episode, is there no finale because there is no one for him to compete against?

How I understood it from the tournament description, regardless of whether they won in their heat against Irvine, the finalist wins $10,000 and comes back to compete in the 4th week.  In the 4th week, the three finalists compete in two challenges and the winner, again, competes against Irvine for a chance to at the final $10,000 shopping spree.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RealityCheck said:

How I understood it from the tournament description, regardless of whether they won in their heat against Irvine, the finalist wins $10,000 and comes back to compete in the 4th week.  In the 4th week, the three finalists compete in two challenges and the winner, again, competes against Irvine for a chance to at the final $10,000 shopping spree.

Which Irvine will win.  

I just don't like awarding payouts to celebrity self-named "foundations" who will supposedly dole out the cash to charities.  If I want to donate to a charity I am perfectly capable of finding one on my own with no middleman.

I didn't like it when corporatations strong-armed employees into giving their "fair share" (which they specifically told you based on your salary - cough - United Way - cough) and I don't like redistribution of funds through a so-called celebrity's "charity".

• Love 1

Does FN force people to have Irvine on their show?  It is easy to get that other chefs don't like him.  They cannot disgiuse that and Scott Conan, on chopped, doesn't even try to mask his disdain.  I love him for that. I don't like Guy either but they are not in the same category. Guy may like him, can't tell. 

• Love 2

Guy may like him, can't tell. 

Guy does like him.  He was Robert's best man when he (Robert) married a female wrestler a few years ago.  

Back in the old Dinner Impossible days, Robert was more tolerable.  I never liked him but I watched because it was a new concept then and I did like David and George who acted as sous chefs.  I've always wondered why two serious chefs put themselves in the position of being subordinate to Robert.  I don't remember any details at this remove but both of them had bona fide credentials.  Unlike Robert.  The job must have paid well.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, mlp said:

Guy does like him.  He was Robert's best man when he (Robert) married a female wrestler a few years ago.  

Back in the old Dinner Impossible days, Robert was more tolerable.  I never liked him but I watched because it was a new concept then and I did like David and George who acted as sous chefs.  I've always wondered why two serious chefs put themselves in the position of being subordinate to Robert.  I don't remember any details at this remove but both of them had bona fide credentials.  Unlike Robert.  The job must have paid well.

He married a wrestler, of course. 

I watched tha show, too, for the same reason. And yes, the money on TV always trumps your real life job, ESPECIALLY, if you are a sous chef. 

• Love 1

Giving Robert the win for his "deconstructed" casserole was a crock.

One of the reasons I like Beat Bobby Flay - it's a blind tasting so the judges don't know whose dish they are trying (although Bobby does win about 95% of the time).  I wonder if this were also a blind tasting, if Robert would have really won all 3 times.

Edited by roughing it
  • Love 3

Good for Steven, beating Irvine.  He seems like a good guy and his food looked delicious.

To be fair, which I'm not, I did see Irvine get creative on Chopped awhile ago when he used what looked like a broom handle to ream out a venison loin, which he stuffed.

There.  I've said something nice.  Happy Holidays!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I hate the judge who is nothing more than a friend of Guy's and who "won" the diners challenge - which I find a fraud to have his friend be a judge.  This guy is AWFUL on the show.  He says the same thing over And OVER again with the people on the show.  No salt.  I HATE this guy on this show.

I watched an episode with the diners, drive ins, and dives chefs. The final challenge was to make a cheesy, northeastern dish. I guess I never realized how limited chicken parmesan is nationwide for the praise those judges were heaping on. As someone included in the Northeast region, chicken parmesan (eggplant parmesan and haddock parmesan for that matter, too) is always fried. At least it is at every chain restaurant, local restaurant, relative's house, hole in the wall, and dive bar that I've been to. I've only had non-fried versions when I make it at home with leftover chicken.

I'm so shocked by the rave reviews over what looked like a sad version of chicken parmesan. Where's the mozzarella? Where was the spaghetti or bread? You don't just eat a piece of chicken covered in sauce. I've never been a fan of the judges on this show, but chicken parmesan is basic.

I'm not sure why an episode of this silly show annoyed me so much.

• Love 1

As someone included in the Northeast region, chicken parmesan (eggplant parmesan and haddock parmesan for that matter, too) is always fried.

Yeah.  I grew up in the Northeast and live in the Midwest and I've never heard of chicken parm where the chicken wasn't breaded and fried.  What were they expecting?  Boiled?  Baked?  I can't even picture it any other way.

• Love 1

Is there anybody here whose first thought when told to make a sandwich, and finding the bread aisle empty, wasn't "go to frozen foods!"? 

I wasn't excited by any of the presentations, but I was glad the winner said he was donating to Guide Dogs.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Is there anybody here whose first thought when told to make a sandwich, and finding the bread aisle empty, wasn't "go to frozen foods!"? 

I wasn't excited by any of the presentations, but I was glad the winner said he was donating to Guide Dogs.

Right!!!   And if the Texas Toast/ Garlic bread was gone, I bet ethnic foods might have some wraps.  Though you could make a quick, small biscuit in that time frame.   Or do a lettuce wrap.

I was grossed out by the latkes as 'bread'.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, spiderpig said:

January 22 ep.  Call me a wimp (loud chorus of "You're a Wimp"), but I didn't want any of the contestants to go home and teared up when Bobby helped out Louis.

No losers in this episode.

Nice to meet you, wimp. My name is Sap and I felt the exact same way.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ellee said:

5 hours ago, Ellee said:

Sap, we are proof there is hope for humanity!

• Love 3