Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Lawanda: The Book of Burial

• Start Topic

This show's kind of killing it... pun totally intended.

No show is perfect. And science fiction /fantasy-like material in general, which even "grounded" superhero shows branch off of, have a bigger burden to overcome. And superhero shows have yet an even larger hurdle in my opinion. But this show's been doing a good job of everything. I've spotted a few outright bits of sloppy writing, for example in Ep2 the convenience of the Italian guy finding the body, and overall the super-convenience of Anissa basically having two careers just to keep her closer to the other characters, but those are nitpicks.  They even acknowledge the subtleties of how a community might react to a hero and how that can be both dangerous and good at the same time.

At this point I want to know a bit more of Whale's backstory. The scene at the end of Ep2 implied he's a meta of some kind... so they have to circle back to that.

Also, I love how they played with The Outsiders and later on with Supergirl. There's no saying that the Outsiders in that comic ARE the same ones from our world and that the Grace Choi we are seeing onscreen isn't also a superhero, albeit her origin has to be changed. Also they teased Supergirl in such a way that she could be either fictional in this world... or not. Very clever.

Poor Khalil. I think this horrible new development will change him for the worst. I will be shocked to see him come out of this still a positive and inspired young man. He had a plan and that plan entailed sports getting him far away from the ghettos of Freeland. Now that dream is dead. It will be interesting to see how the show plays this, if they decide to explore the fall out with him further. I don't think he'll turn into a mustache twirling villain, but I don't think he will be the young man Jennifer was ready to give her virginity to. I do think he will turn dark., maybe in some twisted irony end up working for Tobias.

Speaking of Tobias, there's always someone higher on the food chain. Glad to see there is someone he has to answer to and a woman ((Jill Scott) no less. 

Loved Jefferson and his wife's reaction to Jennifer letting them know she was planning to have sex. LOL. Jefferson totally nailed how a black family would've responded ie his parents if he'd come home with that type of news.  Glad though they didn't stick their head in the sand or blow a gasket. Jefferson scared the bejesus out of Kalil and Lynn set up an appointment for Jennifer to see a doctor, I'm assuming so she could be further educated on the risks of sex and to get on birth control. 

I'm still disappointed that we never learned what happened to LaWanda's daughter and that BL has made no attempt to find and save her. 

Interesting that Peter erased the footage of Tobias from the video, not wanting BL /Jefferson to see that it was him who was responsible for the Reverend and Khalil being shot. I wonder what that's all about. I'm assuming it has something to do with Tobias "killing" BL. I can't wait to see the backstory on that and why it is that Jefferson/BL has not thought of Tobias . Does he believe  he's  out of play just as Tobias believed he'd killed him?

Another good episode.

Edited by Enero
On 2/4/2018 at 2:10 PM, Enero said:

I'm still disappointed that we never learned what happened to LaWanda's daughter and that BL has made no attempt to find and save her

Same!!! With the title of the ep, I thought we would get that wrap up. 

Tobias seems hard and smart, and then he goes psycho... Yes, encourage your minion to do the shooting and not leave fingerprints anywhere, and then stab him in the hand so it's harder for him to handle the gun, and make it likely there will be trace DNA on it. smh. Lady Eve seems way more together.