Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Lawanda: The Book of Burial

• Start Topic

As Jefferson Pierce tries to determine if the community can survive without the help of Black Lightning, Anissa starts to come into her own. Meanwhile, Jefferson and Lynn try and figure out their new dynamic. Finally, Jennifer reveals to her parents that she has been grappling with something big.

They paralyzed Khalil?  Damn, it's only the 3rd episode.  His and Jefferson's conversation in the school was hilarious, though.

So either Gambi doesn't want Jefferson to get obsessed with Tobias, or he's related to the female always with Tobias.  I'm not a fan of him keeping stuff from Jefferson.

The Supergirl namedrop was nice.

• Love 4

Aretha too? The music supervisor on this show definitely deserves a raise.

The way the show broke up Anissa & Chenoa was antiblack as hell.

At least Khalil lived. Really awful that he's paralyzed though.

@janeta Lady Eve was Jill Scott

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

I guess I need to put these comic book comments in spoilers as well, much like my comments from the first episode……………..

Spoiler

So anyway, Grace in the comics is a “Bana” Amazon (think of them as “Amazons with Attitude")

And, much like Anissa (AKA Thunder), she was a member of the Outsiders when Nightwing (Dick Grayson) and Arsenal (Roy Harper) were in charge of the team

(The comic book that TV show Grace was actually holding – HA)

And, much like this TV show, the two of them were ……………………. 

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 1

I haven't seen this episode all the way through yet.  I kind of wish that this show was paired with Arrow or Supergirl/Legends of Tomorrow  instead of The Flash.  Black Lightning seems like a show written by people who know Black people or maybe even are Black people.  The Flash still seems like a show written by people who have maybe seen Black people at a distance or perhaps on the cover of National Geographic and just assumed that they were White people with really, really dark tans...

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 11

I haven't screamed in pain and anguish at my tv screen like that since they killed Abby on Sleepy Hollow and I thought Reverse Flash killed Cisco.  Oh and when Zoom killed Barry's dad.

I was already wrecked when I saw the preacher shot - but then they showed Khalil looking shocked and I was like Please no!! And then ... dang they paralyzed him!

I'm emotionally compromised.

The rest of the episode was amazing as per usual. 

JILL SCOTT ya'll!!!!!

Tobias with the one liners... "These folks wanna go to heaven, but they don't wanna die."  LMAO.

And Jefferson "My father would say that's some white people stuff."

And Jefferson again "You wanna get athlete's foot into my daughter in places where athlete's foot shouldn't be?"  LMBO  - oh so horribly awkward but funny.

Anissa and Grace... awww... but side eyeing Anissa for her messiness - girl you hadn't closed the door with Chenua - of course she had a right to be upset.  Getcho life together hunty.

Poor Jennifer.  Poor Khalil.

Preacher and cop calling each other out...

This ep had so many gems I can barely process it all... and then that sniper shot at the end took me out.  I screamed so loud.

Just wanna add how wrecked I am for Khalil's sake... he was going to use his speed to get him out of there and now he's paralyzed.  Damn.

• Love 15

I'm really liking this show so far. It does feel distinct from the other CW superhero shows.

I just knew something bad was going to happen to poor Khalil, though I'm surprised it happened so soon. At least he's still alive, for now.

I liked Jill Scott as Lady Eve. She has a real menacing presence. I'm really beginning to like Tobias as a villain as well. He sure does like to stab his underlings. 

I wonder if Supergirl is supposed to be just a comic book character or a real hero in this universe? Or are they deliberately leaving that unclear?

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

I wonder if Supergirl is supposed to be just a comic book character or a real hero in this universe? Or are they deliberately leaving that unclear?

When I saw that comic of the outsiders, I had a thought that maybe they'll do this like they did on an episode of Justice League (the animated series) where Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl and J'onn got sent to an alternate universe where the Justice Society of America was real - to them these people were just characters in a comic book but they were real in this alternate universe.  I wonder if Flash, Supergirl and even Arrow are going to be comic books in Black Lightnings universe (meaning maybe BL's universe is OUR universe)?  That would be a fun crossover.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 3

Is Khalil definitely paralyzed or maybe? I thought Jennifer said he "may" never walk again. Maybe I'm just holding out false hope?

Bad Anissa, bad Anissa. Although, I thought it was interesting that they set the other Arrowverse heroes up as comics, it reminds me of the end of 90s Spiderman cartoon where Spidey travels to different Earths and on one of them (ours) he's a comicbook character written by Stan Lee.

I liked the Anissa learning her powers montage intercut with the Funeral.

I was not happy with Gambi deleting the image of Tobias. I don't know what's going on but, I'm having trust issues.

Loved Lady Eve, need more of her and less of Tobias. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5

I said last week Khalil was too good of a dude.. So of course homey gets caught by a bullet at a protest that's already gone thru a preacher... 

Allow me to be shallow but daaaaammn Grace Choi !!!  I can't even be too mad at annisa for that... 

Loved Henderson getting at the preacher.. Once again so authentic.. 

I actually thought annissa was gonna tell her mom right then.. Then we could see Lynn just have a full blown meltdown.. Tho on some level she's had to have had the thought that the kids may not be ok.. 

Syonide will speak this season... Wont she? And Jill Scott was right.. That girl got them evil eyes.. 

Lol at Jeff and Lynn during the family dinner and the day after.. I come from a pretty(well super liberal household)  and I had talks with my mom and grandparents abt how ibwas getting closer to having sex and the day it happened I called my mom like 40 minutes after to let her know.. And my step-dad( who was just my moms new bf at the time actually said we were on some "white-folk mess" with all the sharing so the whole setup hit close to home andbi loved it.. 

One more time.. Daaaaammmmnnn Grace Choi... 

• Love 5

As an Asian I'm happy to see an Asian character on one if these shows.

I'm hoping they also let her be an Bana Amazon like her comic counterpart.

is this Lady Eve woman the real leader of the 100?

Poor Khalli, I figured something would happen to him. Didn't expect it so soon.

Anissa practicing her new powers in the junkyard was fun. Are they on Supergirls Earth? Or is she just a comic? 

Again with the secrets. Why is Gambi hiding Tobias from Jefferson? It's not like he's hiding. He seems to be operating some kind of business. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, phoenics said:

What WAS that with Gambi deleting the Tobias footage?  Is he trying to keep that from BL so he doesn't stop being BL??!  Or is it something else?

Maybe he doesn't want him getting all consumed with T. Whale since apparently it's tres personal between them.. Tho I figure it'll come out in the next epi or two

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I haven't seen this episode all the way through yet.  I kind of wish that this show was paired with Arrow or Supergirl/Legends of Tomorrow  instead of The Flash.  Black Lightning seems like a show written by people who know Black people or maybe even are Black people.  The Flash still seems like a show written by people who have maybe seen Black people at a distance or perhaps on the cover of National Geographic and just assumed that they were White people with really, really dark tans...

But, and here's the most important part, The Flash has good ratings and serves as a better lead in for Black Lightning. Arrow isn't strong enough to anchor a night any longer. Supergirl has been propping up Valor. And Legends won't be anchoring until Supergirl goes on hiatus. The Flash is the best pairing to guarantee that people watch.

Anissa did her girlfriend so wrong.

• Love 4

Poor poor Khalil. I figured something like would happen, but it was awful to see. At least he survived, and there is a chance he could walk again some day. 

Jefferson and the hygiene conversation was amazing. 

I hope Gami isn't up to something sketchy. I guess if he was doing something really bad, they wouldn't have shown us now? Maybe? Also, Tobias might have an amazing benefits package, because working for him is seriously a threat to your health. 

Anissa playing with her powers was really cool, but she was awful to her poor girlfriend. 

I continue to love this show!

• Love 4

I actually liked that nissa was kind of jerky to her girl.. Not because I enjoy bad significant others.. Just that sometimes when you have a character that is historically under represented... The writers don't wanna give them many flaws.. I appreciate them showing that yes nissa is a strong intelligent independent confident opinionated sister.. But she's not perfect.. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Is Khalil definitely paralyzed or maybe? I thought Jennifer said he "may" never walk again. Maybe I'm just holding out false hope?

This is what she said: "The bullet hit his spine. Khalil might not walk again." So there is still hope.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I actually liked that nissa was kind of jerky to her girl.. Not because I enjoy bad significant others.. Just that sometimes when you have a character that is historically under represented... The writers don't wanna give them many flaws.. I appreciate them showing that yes nissa is a strong intelligent independent confident opinionated sister.. But she's not perfect.. 

I totally agree. It was hard to watch Anissa be so crappy to her girlfriend (and hopefully she tries to apologize for how she went about things at some point) but I appreciate that she has flaws that she can work to overcome over the course of the series. Sometimes writers fall into the trap of making people from underrepresented backgrounds into perfect angels who have no flaws, and that doesn't make for a very dynamic character. It doesn't really make them seem like real people.  Anissa is human, and thats what makes a good character, no matter who they are. People have good and bad aspects to them, no matter their background, so its good that they are giving her layers and allowing her to be a person instead of just a role model or something. *

*Of course, you would think writing a black woman as a person would be...like...obvious, but some writers are idiots. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

Worst job on any world: person in charge of tourism for Freeland. I mean, we swing from tragedy to hope to tragedy, and when the main character's daughter's boyfriend is merely paralyzed. Best case: he'll have to wait to officially hook up with Jenn. Um . . . yay?

Damn, gotta love the hi-tech Hogan's Alley setup from Gambi. Great way for Jefferson to practice aim.

Kinda disappointed Grace isn't built like a truck. Then again, I got over Killmonger not being seven-feet in Black Panther, so I'll be okay with Grace. Sweet that we get winking about the nature of this world and comics, and Anissa looks good in Spandex. Or was that leather? This is the comic Grace had; I would not except Windfall to make the leap. Also had a laugh at Grace bringing up Looker, who had the most Eighties costume ever.

"Athlete's Foot" conversation . . . credit to Khalil for not turning around and running away from Mr. Pierce. And now, he can't do that anymore.

• Love 1

Dammit I was afraid Khalil was going to die(especially after he said he was a virgin!) but this is just as worse.

Loved Jill Scott. She makes a surprising good villain.

Anissa and Grace have great chemistry. Agree that the admittedly shitty way she treated her current girlfriend is good to show her character is not perfect.

Man, I don't know what Gambi is doing tampering with that video. I hope it's because he thinks it's because if Jeff found out Tobias was alive he'd lose focus and go on a vengeance quest.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

So is it reasonable to presume that Black Lightning takes place on Earth 2 given the Supergirl namedrop?

From how I understand it . . . not Earth-Supergirl, not Earth-ArrowFlashLegends.

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

So is it reasonable to presume that Black Lightning takes place on Earth 2 given the Supergirl namedrop?

Probably not.  I haven't seen any zeppelins or heard any references to Atlantis or Senator Beyonce Knowles.  I suspect it takes place on either Earth 1 with Flash, Arrow, etc or some other Earth.

3 hours ago, phoenics said:

I was already wrecked when I saw the preacher shot - but then they showed Khalil looking shocked and I was like Please no!! And then ... dang they paralyzed him!

See, my reaction was, "Awww, they paralyzed him.  Welp, here's where some unorthodox treatment turns him into the show's first real supervillain..."

• Love 4

So, a version of Supergirl is a part of this universe, at least.

Even after Black Lighting showed up, I figured something bad was going to happen to the protest.  And, of course, it had to happen to poor Khalil.  At least he isn't dead, but it is possible he could end up paralyzed?  Ouch, that is tragic.  Hopefully, he and Jennifer can get through this and the rest of her family will be there to support her.

Anissa's slowly learning to control her powers, but her personal life is becoming mess with her dodging family time and being shitty to her girlfriend.  I'm surprised they have already broken up this quickly, but now she has a new love interest of Grace, a hot Asian bartender (I'm assuming since she was serving her drinks at the end), who is into cosplay.  When I say it like that, I can totally see the appeal!  Still feel bad for her ex though.

So, it seems like even Tobias answers to someone in the form of Lady Eve/Jill Scott.  I wonder just how many other dangerous criminals will end up being involved with all the bad stuff that happens here.

What the hell, Gambi?!  I refuse to believe he's bad, so there has to be a reason he doesn't want Jefferson to know that Tobias was behind the shooting.  The question is why.

I know there are dozen of reasons why it will never work out, but I am so rooting for Jefferson and Lynn to make it work again.

Not sure which scene made me laugh the hardest: Jefferson's.... err, "shower talk" with Khalil or the awkward dinner scene that followed Jennifer's "I'm ready to have sex now" declaration.  Really enjoying the humor on this show.

• Love 2

My guess is that they haven't decided what Earth this show is set on yet.  So either Supergirl might just be a comic book character here (they've referenced Marvel heroes on the CW shows before after all), or perhaps the two shows are on the same Earth, OR it's a different Supergirl.

• Love 3

Loving this show. It suckered me good. I thought that Jeff had stopped Tobias' people, only for the woman to shoot the pastor and poor Khalil. At least he didn't die. I hope that he gets to walk again someday, but his dream of running out of the hood is definitely over, he will have to use his brain to get out.

Jeff and Lynn's reaction to Jennifer announcing that she was going to have sex was hilarious. Jeff looked like his head was about to explode. I cracked up at his "white people stuff" comment and then his weird attempt to warn off confused and terrified Khalil.

I just love Anissa. Well, at the least the girlfriend is out of the way and won't get hurt any more. Anissa and Grace are hot together. I loved that Lynn saw through Anissa's attempt to deflect her.

I am loving Gambi and Jeff together. They have a great dynamic. I wonder why he deleted the photo of Tobias. Tobias thinks he killed Black Lightning. I wonder if he seriously injured Jeff which is Gambi is afraid to let him know that Tobias is back in action.

I love how the community is rallying around Black Lightning, despite the police's negative attitude towards him. The cop telling off the pastor for his wealth after he called out the lack of effective policing was a nice touch. I enjoyed that people disagree without screaming on this show. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Bats27 said:

My guess is that they haven't decided what Earth this show is set on yet.  So either Supergirl might just be a comic book character here (they've referenced Marvel heroes on the CW shows before after all), or perhaps the two shows are on the same Earth, OR it's a different Supergirl.

I really hope all of the Flarrowverse characters are literally comic book characters in Black Lightning's Universe - making it identical to OUR real life universe.  That would be an awesome twist.  And what a funny crossover that would make - Flash, Arrow and SG characters reacting to seeing themselves as comics, lol.

• Love 3

OK I want to know more about Tobias's creepy female enforcer. There seemed like there might be more to her before, but Lady Eve's comments here just made me more intrigued.

And speaking of Lady Eve, Jill Scott is really good a being polite yet menacing at the same time.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, janeta said:

Do we know who played Lady Eve? (Imdb hasn’t updated yet.)

No offense at all but I chuckled at this question as this is a blackety-black show and Jill Scott is one of the biggest R&B stars of this century. Oh yeah "we" know exactly who that was lol. Even Michelle Obama was seen turning up at a Jill Scott concert. But if you dont know, you don't know so hey <shrug> Just busting your chops a little, its all love :)

I'm not much of a superhero fan and damn sure don't watch the CW but I really like this show. There's an unforced authenticity that was missing from Luke Cage for me. Also, does Cress Williams age? I just saw him in an old re-run of Living Single from 25 years ago and he looks exactly the same.

Anybody else feeling the albino dude? His voice and the way he talks....I like his whole swag. Seeing him I can't help but think how this role may not have open to somebody like him 10, 20 years ago and thank God for this push for diversity, even when we do have to march, kick and scream for it.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, Negritude said:

No offense at all but I chuckled at this question as this is a blackety-black show and Jill Scott is one of the biggest R&B stars of this century. Oh yeah "we" know exactly who that was lol. Even Michelle Obama was seen turning up at a Jill Scott concert. But if you dont know, you don't know so hey <shrug> Just busting your chops a little, its all love :)

I'm not much of a superhero fan and damn sure don't watch the CW but I really like this show. There's an unforced authenticity that was missing from Luke Cage for me. Also, does Cress Williams age? I just saw him in an old re-run of Living Single from 25 years ago and he looks exactly the same.

Anybody else feeling the albino dude? His voice and the way he talks....I like his whole swag. Seeing him I can't help but think how this role may not have open to somebody like him 10, 20 years ago and thank God for this push for diversity, even when we do have to march, kick and scream for it.

So far, I really like Tobias as a villain.  He's really good at being menacing while having a certain style to him.  Which is why it was interesting to see him seemingly scared of Lady Eve, or at least VERY deferential/respectful towards her.

• Love 6

See, my reaction was, "Awww, they paralyzed him.  Welp, here's where some unorthodox treatment turns him into the show's first real supervillain..."

My first thought was awww, another wheelchair Jimmy. And then my second thought was maybe they'll use tech to help him become a superhero like MANTIS from that old TV Show. Here's a blurb about it:

A paralyzed African-American scientist builds a powerful exo-skeleton in order to walk again, and uses his new abilities to fight crime.

Then again they just might use this to write him off...

Loved the "white folks stuff" line.

• Love 3

Khalil -- noooooo! We JUST met him!

Gambi -- nooo! I mean, Tobias is a big enough player that his involvement is going to come out sooner than later, right? So I don't see why he would hide this from Jefferson.

Jill Scott/ Lady Eve - yes! I want to see more of her and her role in the underworld.

I really like how they show how Black Lightning's action's affect the community.

5 hours ago, Negritude said:

None taken; she looked very familiar, and i was thinking, “i know her from somewhere...”

• Love 1

The silent shooter's orders was to kill BL instead she hits the reverend and Khali. Did she miss on purpose or is she a bad shooter or did the bullet go threw BL and hit the others?

I don't get why Tobias and Lady Eve were threatened by the marchers. 

A small part of Jefferson had to be relieved Khali and his daughter are not going to get it on this weekend.

Edited by mxc90
11 hours ago, mxc90 said:

The silent shooter's orders was to kill BL instead she hits the reverend and Khali. Did she miss on purpose or is she a bad shooter or did the bullet go threw BL and hit the others?

I don't get why Tobias and Lady Eve were threatened by the marchers. 

A small part of Jefferson had to be relieved Khali and his daughter are not going to get it on this weekend.

"Establishments" are often threatened by marches... in this case, they viewed the marching as a direct challenge to their gangsta authority.

And I think she missed on purpose.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, phoenics said:

I mean, she had to, right? (Which possibly opens up a whole other mystery) The bullet going through Black Lightning then hitting the Reverend is one thing, but she completely missed the closer and clearer target.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, phoenics said:

"Establishments" are often threatened by marches... in this case, they viewed the marching as a direct challenge to their gangsta authority.

I see what you mean but with their reach in the police department, receiving or going to receive protection payment from the church, and have closet supporters in the church ...Tobias and Eve should be over confident at this point and feel the march can't hurt them. Now these shootings made matters worse for them.

On 2/1/2018 at 5:24 PM, Trini said:

I mean, she had to, right? (Which possibly opens up a whole other mystery) The bullet going through Black Lightning then hitting the Reverend is one thing, but she completely missed the closer and clearer target.

Maybe she's some sort of undercover agent?  Although if she is - I hate what she did to Khalil.  She's destroyed his life.

3 hours ago, phoenics said:

Maybe she's some sort of undercover agent?  Although if she is - I hate what she did to Khalil.  She's destroyed his life.

I doubt it.  The bullet had to be on a trajectory to hit somebody in the crowd since it hit the reverend.  Figure if she was deliberately missing, she'd aim high, over the heads of the crowd.  I think the more likely scenario is that Black Lightning's powers unconsciously "pushed" the metallic bullet away from him, perhaps even giving extra speed so that it went through the reverend and into Khalil, which... damn, this show don't play!  And again, that sets up the idea of Khalil becoming a supervillain bent on revenge against Black Lightning.  And they kind of need to do something like that.  Right now it's pretty clear that the 100 aren't that much of a threat to Black Lightning, and not too much of a threat to people while Black Lightning is in the vicinity.  Plus Anissa just got super-powers too.

3 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I doubt it.  The bullet had to be on a trajectory to hit somebody in the crowd since it hit the reverend.  Figure if she was deliberately missing, she'd aim high, over the heads of the crowd.  I think the more likely scenario is that Black Lightning's powers unconsciously "pushed" the metallic bullet away from him, perhaps even giving extra speed so that it went through the reverend and into Khalil, which... damn, this show don't play!  And again, that sets up the idea of Khalil becoming a supervillain bent on revenge against Black Lightning.  And they kind of need to do something like that.  Right now it's pretty clear that the 100 aren't that much of a threat to Black Lightning, and not too much of a threat to people while Black Lightning is in the vicinity.  Plus Anissa just got super-powers too.

But Khalil knows BL didn't do anything and that he got shot from something else.  That's a huge leap to make that somehow BL was responsible.  I don't think Khalil will be turning evil.  Or anything. 

The actor playing Khalil gave a goodbye tweet right after the show.  I think he's back to recurring on Riverdale now.  Sucks.  I liked him better as Khalil.