Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2018 Season

• Start Topic

I doubt that DeSantis could withstand an interview with someone as knowledgeable as Rachel. 

Yes, MSNBC plays way too many Donald clips.  I don't even watch Hardball anymore since he began showing so many of them (it's a program I already had a low tolerance for because of Chris constantly interrupting his guests) .  It was easier to stop watching than having to mute/unmute the television over and over again.  Anyway, one of the many, many things I appreciate about Rachel's show is that she almost never shows them.

• Love 11

The Hebrew singing was stunningly beautiful. The story (as with all the news these days) continues to be horrifying and tragic, but I appreciated having an uplifting moment of beauty in the midst of the ugliness. 

• Love 7

I am really looking forward to tonight’s special report from Dodge City, KS. 

Also, highly recommending the Bag Man podcast! Just listened to the two eps this morning and was disappointed I have to wait a week for the next one. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ahisma said:

The Hebrew singing was stunningly beautiful. The story (as with all the news these days) continues to be horrifying and tragic, but I appreciated having an uplifting moment of beauty in the midst of the ugliness. 

Agreed. Strangers coming together in song never fails to get me right in the feels.

Elsewhere, DTjr and squeeze are using Rachel's image in a GOTV ad. She is there, shaking a finger at the camera, representing their bogeyman "Main Stream Media"; no other reporters are featured.  

• Love 6

This is a comment from Monday's show (which seems like a hundred years ago at this point) but the story on the HIAS was really interesting.  Especially since they would have been there for my relatives when they arrived in America (around the turn of the century).  The picture she showed of the Sukkah they set up on Ellis Island for the refugees who were still being processed, that totally made me cry. 

• Love 8

I don't see enough other news to know if anyone else is covering the Dodge City voting disgrace, but thank goodness Rachel is invested enough to stay on top of it and also to provide special coverage tonight.  Her reports of the county clerk ("LOL") and the secretary of state should be enough to get them tossed out; but apparently not in this state.  I hope Rachel's staff was able to track down someone who was willing to answer some questions.  And she said a few nights ago that rides were being set up to take voters to the outside-the-city voting site, so I hope this ends up boosting voting from the populations that the county clerk is trying to suppress.  

• Love 12
On 10/17/2018 at 9:15 AM, M. Darcy said:

Wow, that was amazing story Rachel did: holy shit - they set up Gary Hart??!!  Another reason to add in my list of dislikes of Bush I.  Because, he had to have known - or if he didn't, he hired the guy who carried it out which IMO makes him just as guilty. 

I just heard on Pod Save America someone is making a movie about this. I agree that was a total WTF moment.  

On a somewhat lighter note, I was thoroughly enjoying her coverage of the  Biggest Idiots of 2018 story,  Jacob Wohl, Twitter Kid & his mom, aka the guys trying to frame Robert Mueller for sexual assault/harassment, whatever they were doing.  Her crew was laughing so loud you could hear them, and she had the NBC reporter on who was working the story, he said if lying was a crime these guys would get the death penalty. 

Jacob is now tweeting that Rachel attacked him.   

• Love 12

Debbie Cox, the County Clerk who "serves" Dodge City, Kansas, is elected.  Is she on the ballot this year?  I would love it if the citizens of Dodge City were able to tell Ms. Cox with their votes that the one who LOLs last, LOLs loudest, longest and best.

These efforts to block people from voting become more sickening with each story Rachel reports.  What's next?  Camping outside polling places, and tripping anyone who gets out of a car with a bumper sticker for a Dem?  

I also listened to the first 2 episodes of Bagman and really enjoyed it.  It's amazing how emotional the prosecutors are 45 years later.  

Edited by Calvada
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

Debbie Cox, the County Clerk who "serves" Dodge City, Kansas, is elected.  Is she on the ballot this year?  I would love it if the citizens of Dodge City were able to tell Ms. Cox with their votes that the one who LOLs last, LOLs loudest, longest and best.

These efforts to block people from voting become more sickening with each story Rachel reports.  What's next?  Camping outside polling places, and tripping anyone who gets out of a car with a bumper sticker for a Dem?  

I also listened to the first 2 episodes of Bagman and really enjoyed it.  It's amazing how emotional the prosecutors are 45 years later.  

Rach put a spotlight on Debbie Cox, but not enough of one.  Did she show a pic of Debbie Cox?  No.  Her contact info should be shown, so those who are angered by her shitty-ass LOL response can tell her directly.  She's supposed to be a "responsible" elected official & clearly is NOT.  I'd luv to see some public response to her despicable LOL.

Hope Rach follows up with the Waller County story because only a partially satisfactory result has come thru.  Rach needs to continue spotlighting this.

Will Kornacki be on her show every nite till Tuesday?  Ugh.  I shut down at the mention of polls now.  They change every 2 seconds, they're undependable & they just plain suck.  Go away, Kornacki.

Yay, Chuck!

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Rach put a spotlight on Debbie Cox, but not enough of one.  Did she show a pic of Debbie Cox?  No.  Her contact info should be shown, so those who are angered by her shitty-ass LOL response can tell her directly.  She's supposed to be a "responsible" elected official & clearly is NOT.  I'd luv to see some public response to her despicable LOL.

The County Clerk's office in Dodge City helpfully has the Clerk's contact info and picture on their own website.   I agree, Rachel should have let everyone know who is trying to make voting really, really hard and confusing for the minorities in Dodge City, and thinks it is funny to do so.

http://www.fordcounty.net/220/County-Clerks-Office

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4

Is it not criminal for government officials to conspire to keep people from voting?  It should be.  And if it's not, I wonder if the people of Dodge City could sue Cox and Kobach in civil court for violating their rights.  This is bullshit.

Thank you TRMS for keeping attention on this (and GA and ND). 

• Love 5

will Kornacki be on her show every nite till Tuesday?  Ugh.  I shut down at the mention of polls now. 

As others have said, polls don't matter, votes do!  Tuesday is going to be a long night.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Is it not criminal for government officials to conspire to keep people from voting?  It should be.  And if it's not, I wonder if the people of Dodge City could sue Cox and Kobach in civil court for violating their rights.  This is bullshit.

Thank you TRMS for keeping attention on this (and GA and ND). 

The Secretary of State should be firing her, if nothing else.  But since that is Kris Kobach and his hired minions, fat chance of that happening.  Maybe the state AG should get involved...oh, nope, it's still Kansas, so the AG is minding his own business, no doubt.

The ACLU is suing.  I don't know if their suit will do any good, but they have filed at least two lawsuits.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

FYI, just double-checked that Uber story. Not as simple as what I saw online—Snopes has details here: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/uber-lyft-free-rides-polls/ Basically, discounts are being offered for “underserved communities” and partnerships with nonprofit groups.

Technically, Lyft is offering free rids in underserved communities, which I understand is including Dodge City, KA.  Otherwise, Lyft is offering 50% discounts.

Uber is just offering discounts, which includes $14 off round trips from non-profit partners and $10 off for one-way trips for others, which could be a free trip depending on the cost of the trip.

I think its cool of them to step up.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Twitter Kid ( the knucklehead trying to frame Mueller)  held his press conf. Hopefully Rachel has time to make fun of it. Jack Burkman's fly was down the whole time. 

I don't know if Rachel will take the bait on her show tonight but, he gave her a shout out today...she attacked his mom last night ?

The shit in Dodge City and ND is just pisssing me off to no end. I'm really thankful that Rachael covered those stories because it seems like others picked it up from her. I wish there was more that could be done but there's no shaming these people. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

I hope there are volunteers that will offer rides out to the voting boonies.  If I lived near there, I sure would.  I took a quick glance at a Dodge City newspaper yesterday and there was nothing there regarding this.

Lyft is offering free rides in Dodge City for voters.

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't know if Rachel will take the bait on her show tonight but, he gave her a shout out today...she attacked his mom last night ?

The shit in Dodge City and ND is just pisssing me off to no end. I'm really thankful that Rachael covered those stories because it seems like others picked it up from her. I wish there was more that could be done but there's no shaming these people. 

Don't forget Georgia!  Rach has been all over Kemp's sleazy bullshit.  Yay, Rach!

I suspect she finds Wohl & Jr. & his ex-Fox hag mildly amusing -- at least right now.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

If she does, I hope she keeps it to a bare few minutes.  There is no need to give that nutjob more publicity and a national forum.  He already has had plenty of media coverage. 

I'd rather she feature someone who gets no media coverage and never will, like one of the people running for office, or more voter suppression efforts that thrive in the dark.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, roughing it said:

I hope there are volunteers that will offer rides out to the voting boonies.  If I lived near there, I sure would.  I took a quick glance at a Dodge City newspaper yesterday and there was nothing there regarding this.

I checked in with my locals and offered to transport anyone on election day and also our early voting days which are happening this week - especially those who are elderly or have a disability. Offered proof of current license, insurance and registration if requested. So far, crickets re that but lots of email requests for $$$. SMDH ... oh, well.

• Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, attica said:

Elsewhere, DTjr and squeeze are using Rachel's image in a GOTV ad. She is there, shaking a finger at the camera, representing their bogeyman "Main Stream Media"; no other reporters are featured

If they're using Rach in their ads, that's an indication that she's one that is feared by them.  It's their way of tearing her down and trying to make her irrelevant.  Sorry, Jr., you're dealing with a force much greater than you realize.  No contest...you lose.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Just FYI, the History channel is running a 3 night, 6 hour documentary on Watergate Friday, Saturday and Sunday that you should catch if you can.  The parallels to the current administration are spooky.

I listened to the first episode of Bagman last night and the similarities between Spiro Agnew's and Trump's words and actions are also really scary!

• Love 6

Rachel is on a panel at 9 ET/6PT Sunday evening.  Not sure if it is live or recorded.*  But some Rachel at her usual time!

*ETA:  it is live, with Brian Williams, Nicolle Wallace (I like her!), Eugene Robinson, and starting with Kornacki!  But Rachel started the program as anchor, with Brian co-anchoring. 

Taking a comment about the Watergate/ History Channel excellent show to Small Talk. 

Edited by freddi
  • Love 1

Rachel looks tired.  Get some rest, Rachel, we need you in the coming days, weeks, and months.  

She is really trying to get people to tune in all night tomorrow.  I have very mixed feelings.  What happened two years ago means I don't trust polls or prognostications at all.  I don't know if I can watch tomorrow night.  It's amazing when you think how crazy this week might be.  The election, then possibly resignations/firings in the Trump Administration and new indictments announced by Mueller.  

One thing I'll do tomorrow instead of watching returns:  I'll listen to the new episode of "Bagman."   Thanks Rachel!

• Love 7

Yeah, I am going to watch other entertainment rather than be glued to MSNBC, sorry.  I think all the anchors are sick of speculating and asking the same basic questions.  

But Rachel's TRMS Bingo will be fun if she keeps track of who wins. 

4 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Rachel looks tired.  Get some rest, Rachel, we need you in the coming days, weeks, and months.  

She is really trying to get people to tune in all night tomorrow.  I have very mixed feelings.  What happened two years ago means I don't trust polls or prognostications at all.  I don't know if I can watch tomorrow night.  It's amazing when you think how crazy this week might be.  The election, then possibly resignations/firings in the Trump Administration and new indictments announced by Mueller.  

One thing I'll do tomorrow instead of watching returns:  I'll listen to the new episode of "Bagman."   Thanks Rachel!

• Love 1

Nice seeing Lauren Underwood on with Rachel! Hers were the only commercials I liked to watch during the last several months, because she seemed so darn nice. I hadn’t realized where exactly her district was until now. That makes her win even more remarkable, because Naperville is soooo white, wealthy, and unbearably suburban. The farmland is being gobbled up by upscale subdivisions, golf courses, and strip malls lining Route 59. 

• Love 5

Rachel made me feel so much better tonight pointing out all the House Republicans endorsed by Trump who ended up losing.  I know it was the opposite in the Senate but Rachel made me see there is hope.  And the Governors.  If we want to see voting rights restored, it starts with winning the local races.

Lauren Underwood was terrific.  She's very charismatic.        

• Love 7

That first segment was great, Rach!  The Dems had a really good night & thanks for pointing out just how good it was, Rach.  Who the fuck cares if there was a blue wave or not?  Dems won the House & there were a shit-ton of fantastic Democratic success stories.  Underwood was merely one -- albeit a really heart-warming one.  I suspect Rach is gonna be covering many of them in the coming days & weeks.  Awesome!

Hey, no Kornacki quacking & clucking about stupid fucking polls  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

Nice seeing Lauren Underwood on with Rachel! Hers were the only commercials I liked to watch during the last several months, because she seemed so darn nice. I hadn’t realized where exactly her district was until now.

It was interesting to me because I live in the next district over (RIP, Peter Roskam!) and I never saw a single commercial for her.  I guess cable TV commercials can target very discriminately.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It was interesting to me because I live in the next district over (RIP, Peter Roskam!) and I never saw a single commercial for her.  I guess cable TV commercials can target very discriminately.

Taking this to Small Talk. 

Rachel's first segment was gold, and so encouraging.  I wish she had been able to cover the election like that last night, giving us background and context for these races and putting it all in the bigger picture.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I agree with Sharpie66 about Lauren's ads as they were positive and to the point.   I live in the city proper but saw plenty of suburban and Northern Indiana campaign ads.  Awesome for Rachel to notice Lauren!

• Love 2

Lauren!  I met her during the campaign.   Part of the campaign for challengers involves coming to DC and meeting with lots of people and our office was one of her stops.  (which is how I met Melissa Gilbert a few years ago when she was running for Congress). 

• Love 4

"Night of Camp David" is getting re-released.  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/books/fletcher-knebel-1965-novel-night-of-camp-david-president-trump.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

The publisher isn’t shying away from drawing parallels between the novel and our current overheated political climate, with a dramatic black cover flap that reprises the tagline on the original novel: “What Would Happen if the President of the U.S.A. Went Stark Raving Mad?”

“It’s got the perfect balance of escapism and that haunting touch of reality,” said Anne Messitte, publisher of Vintage Books.

Messitte said she first became aware of the novel in early September, when Rachel Maddow spoke about it at length on MSNBC, and noted the eerie similarities between the fictional plot and the biggest political story of the day: the anonymous op-ed in The New York Times by a Trump official, who wrote that members of the administration were working to undermine the president’s agenda and had considered invoking the 25th Amendment to remove him.

“Dystopian thriller books and movies like that invite us as Americans to imagine what we might do with a presidency gone that haywire,”Maddow said. “It turns out, that all might have been good training because today’s news invites us Americans to consider the same.”

Rachel is awesome.

• Love 9

I hope Rachel does a follow-up on what happened with the f*ed up polling locations in Dodge City, Kansas.  And I hope that since Laura Kelly, the Democratic candidate, still got elected governor that she does something about the situation.

• Love 10

I thought it was interesting that Rach talked about something she got kinda wrong.  She thought CA, her home state, would make the big difference in getting to a Dem win in the House.  But the news was even better than that.  Dem House wins came not just in CA, but throughout the country, AND in unexpected (deeply red) districts.

As usual, Rach was probably the only one to report on that exchange between the top Mueller prosecutor & the judge he appeared before.  It was a really good explanation of how the special prosecutor (& those who work for him) are so limited in power by the AG -- and why this Trump henchman is such a sinister pick.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I read it in '71 and loaned it to someone who never returned it. I noticed that the NYT article says Amazon has used copies for $100 - yeah, paperback - hardcover starts at $575! I pre-purchased the ebook for $10. Score! Amazon's Kindle samples are skimpy but the website samples are generous. What appears to be the entire first chapter is available on the product page. (Scroll down). Tip o' the hat to Rach for getting this re-issued. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Night-Camp-David-Fletcher-Knebel-ebook/dp/B07J47PHTR/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541750243&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=night+at+camp+david

Edited by suomi
forgot link
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, QueerGirrl said:

I think I'm in love with Sharice Davids.

Well, I'd certainly like to hear the story of how she became a lawyer and an MMA fighter.  To slightly misquote Sesame Street, those 2 things are not like the other. 

• Love 6

Friday's show was one of those wonderful episodes where she covered a fascinating current story that I did not see on other MSNBC programs today:  That the new acting US AG is under investigation on several fronts for his board activities in a "scam" operation under investigation *by the FBI*, an entity over which he has jurisdiction.  It was amazing.  See the rerun if you missed the first run.  (Based on an article in the WSJ, with one of the authors interviewed by Rachel)

And two of Rachel's producers who were tossed on a plan to Broward County in the middle of last night's show -- what a great decision!  (Rachel promised them several days off -- and I hope they have VERY nice rooms in their hotel and all the room service they want).  Great on-the-ground reporting from them, and apparently it will continue.  

Thank you, Rachel!!!

(Did anyone else have a little blip or cut during the handoff to Lawrence?  I heard her say something about news, then seemed to lose some words, then it was Lawrence and his floral tribute from Rachel.)  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, freddi said:

Friday's show was one of those wonderful episodes where she covered a fascinating current story that I did not see on other MSNBC programs today:  That the new acting US AG is under investigation on several fronts for his board activities in a "scam" operation under investigation *by the FBI*, an entity over which he has jurisdiction.  It was amazing.  See the rerun if you missed the first run.  (Based on an article in the WSJ, with one of the authors interviewed by Rachel)

And two of Rachel's producers who were tossed on a plan to Broward County in the middle of last night's show -- what a great decision!  (Rachel promised them several days off -- and I hope they have VERY nice rooms in their hotel and all the room service they want).  Great on-the-ground reporting from them, and apparently it will continue.  

Thank you, Rachel!!!

I enjoyed the young ladies who reported from Broward County, they were so enthusiastic & I am sure thrilled to be sleuthing the story for Rachel....her 'peeps" who work with her are certainly hard-working & tenacious.

• Love 4

The Gary Hart movie is The Front Runner--starring Hugh Jackman with very interesting hair.   I've seen several promos recently for it.

Rachel's producers were great---much better than when she sent a producer to pick up her wax presidential figure.

I want to know why she sent Lawrence flowers. :)

• Love 2