Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2018 Season

• Start Topic

Know why I luv Rach?  She didn't show one Trump clip.  Not one.  No, she didn't show Trump babbling on 60 Minutes, the way every frickin' host on MSNBC & CNN showed endlessly.  Ah, thank you a zillion times for that, Rach.  

I was wondering why she showed that nutsy Youtube clip, but she clearly enjoyed telling us the latest Rick Gates news.  And she seemed to be almost chuckling, while calling him the President's Deputy Campaign Manager.  Guess she shoulda added "EX" to that description, right?  Nah, let her Rach have her fun.  Kinda fun to watch.  Well, at least it was a good contrast to the awful voter suppression stuff.  And it was a nice touch for Rach to tell us how Michael Cohen is hopefully continuing to rat out Trump.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 9

re Michael Cohen: " ... that whole mishegas …"

I love it when Rachel says Yiddish words.  

Aren't there 3 liberals on the Supreme Court.  Who the hell voted to uphold voter suppression?

I was curious so I looked it up.  This Article  explains why there are possible reasons that it was better for Beyer and Sotomayor to vote as they did - including that a tie could have made everything worse.  

Everything Rachel said last night just added to what I already knew - North Dakota just sucks.  Seriously, make Dakota one state, make DC or PR a state and we don't even have to redo the flag. 

• Love 11

Give Rachel a Pulitzer, a Peabody, and all the Emmys.  She deserves them all.  I agree, more than anyone else, Rachel has focused on what really matters.  

I love how Rachel is a history geek, since I consider myself one too.  When she has Michael Beschloss on, I always wish they could speak for a longer time.  Too often, he's on in the last few minutes, and gets only 2 minutes or so.  

• Love 13

Rachel proved tonight why she is the best in the business. I loved her talking about Gary Hart's setup by Republican operatives who derailed his ambitions for the Presidency. Noone else would do this type of story. Everybody is dissecting inane tweets.  Rachel is so right in that Bush begat Clinton who begat Bush Jr. who begat Obama who begat Trump. Who knows how the country would have been like had Gary Hart had achieved his goal in becoming President. 

• Love 13
8 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Rachel proved tonight why she is the best in the business. I loved her talking about Gary Hart's setup by Republican operatives who derailed his ambitions for the Presidency. Noone else would do this type of story. Everybody is dissecting inane tweets.  Rachel is so right in that Bush begat Clinton who begat Bush Jr. who begat Obama who begat Trump. Who knows how the country would have been like had Gary Hart had achieved his goal in becoming President. 

It was interesting to hear Rachel run through that.  I've thought many times, how the hell did we get here?  And what the hell did we do to deserve this? Although I don't know if that question will ever be answered.

• Love 8

Wow, that was amazing story Rachel did: holy shit - they set up Gary Hart??!!  Another reason to add in my list of dislikes of Bush I.  Because, he had to have known - or if he didn't, he hired the guy who carried it out which IMO makes him just as guilty. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Wow, that was amazing story Rachel did: holy shit - they set up Gary Hart??!!  Another reason to add in my list of dislikes of Bush I.  Because, he had to have known - or if he didn't, he hired the guy who carried it out which IMO makes him just as guilty. 

I don't think he was smart enough to conjure up a plan like that.  I think is was his "campaign", et al.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I don't think he was smart enough to conjure up a plan like that.  I think is was his "campaign", et al.

Plausible deniability. Although, from a lot of reading, Poppy was much more devious, cunning and sly than has ever been widely acknowledged. The "golly gee whiz" was a convenient facade that served him well.

Rachel isn't the only one presenting this particular story but she is very often a lone voice who sends me in search of more knowledge, more background. Beschloss, for example, has some of his best conversations with her.

• Love 10
On 10/13/2018 at 3:04 PM, stormy said:

Do they have early voting in MS?

In MN they do.  You go to your city hall and vote.

It's unfortunate if you the only way to vote is as you describe but if that were the case, I guess I would have to make sure I got to go the polls on election day.

Up until March of this year we  lived in MN. My husband hadn't voted since 2000 but in 2016 he went on election day, registered to vote and voted for Hilary. MN is quite progressive for voting rights. I miss that feeling. I don't feel like that in FL.

I am in MN. I sent my ballot in the mail a week or more ago. yes they make it easy! I love  it! I moved up here several years ago from AZ-- where they do NOT make it easy.

• Love 5

I am an election judge in MN and every year a transplant from another state is gobsmacked at how easy we make it (same-day registration, vouching, student ID + a bill with your address, etc). It's the way it SHOULD be. In 2012, Republicans put a voter ID amendment and a same-sex marriage ban on the ballot as referendums. Both failed!!! 

• Love 9
On 10/20/2018 at 5:41 PM, JakeyJokes said:

I am an election judge in MN and every year a transplant from another state is gobsmacked at how easy we make it (same-day registration, vouching, student ID + a bill with your address, etc). It's the way it SHOULD be. In 2012, Republicans put a voter ID amendment and a same-sex marriage ban on the ballot as referendums. Both failed!!! 

I moved to MN from KS and was pretty gobsmacked.  My husband has lived here his whole life; we moved from St Paul to St Cloud (kind of a sad story) and he didn't change his voter registration until we voted in the primaries. I (who DID change my address online) vouched for him. It still blows my mind. My kiddo still lives in KS, and she had to be registered in her new address by Oct 20 or she couldn't vote. 

• Love 2

Adding insult to injury they pull the election shit with the least advantaged, least confident, least able to protest and defend themselves and be believed. It's like kicking puppies. Fuckers. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Sigh.  I might just skip watching election night on MSNBC because of Kornacki.  I could always just hit mute when he's on I guess. 

I'll probably keep in on in the background but, it's less toxic to check twitter, TPM or FiveThirtyEight for updates.  I've grown to loath Kornacki and to be honest, he's not that good.  You get better analysis from Nate Silver & Co.

• Love 2

I think last night's A block was not only a lesson in health-care politics, but a lesson in media focus. The "Watch what they do, not what they say" was just as much a rebuke about the wall-to-wall coverage of "The Caravan" as anything explicit she could have done.

• Love 3

I'll probably keep in on in the background

That's probably what I'll wind up doing.  I love Rachel but if Chris Matthews, Brian Williams and Steve Kornacki are there....its not worth dealing with their stupidity to see a few seconds of Rachel. Hopefully Rachel will still have her solo show and they won't go to the entire group until later. 

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, attica said:

I think last night's A block was not only a lesson in health-care politics, but a lesson in media focus. The "Watch what they do, not what they say" was just as much a rebuke about the wall-to-wall coverage of "The Caravan" as anything explicit she could have done.

Rachel is one of the very few that generally stays above the fray.  Sometimes she falls into the trap or is forced into the trap by her producers/network but for the most part she sees these things for what they are and covers the important stuff.

I wish more would refuse to take the bait.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'll probably keep in on in the background but, it's less toxic to check twitter, TPM or FiveThirtyEight for updates.  I've grown to loath Kornacki and to be honest, he's not that good.  You get better analysis from Nate Silver & Co.

Although fivethirtyeight can be unnerving too. I can't look at poll predictions anymore after the 2016 election.  I think even now Nate has a different view of them.

His take on the current status of the midterms is both depressing and funny. Read today's article if you haven't.

• Love 1

As soon as Rachel said the judge’s name was Vance, I was thinking, “Wait...as in Joyce Vance?!?” Interesting and unique angle to take on the story. (BTW, the season 1 Criminal Minds episode “Won’t Get Fooled Again” delves into bombers’ signatures at length.)

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

As soon as Rachel said the judge’s name was Vance, I was thinking, “Wait...as in Joyce Vance?!?”

Same here! I follow Joyce on Twitter and my first thought was "Hey! Her husband is Bob Vance Jr.! This is going to end up at Joyce." I had no idea she had prosecuted Eric Rudolph. I also appreciated her angle on the bombing story; rather than making uneducated guesses/pointing fingers, let the signature point to the bomber.

Tonight's show was almost surreal. Within 24 hours we have seen the attempted assassination of two former presidents, two former first ladies, a senator, a former AG, a former CIA director and a Holocaust survivor who supports Democrats. In normal times that would be the story all night, on every show. But then we find out the president is using an unsecured personal phone to chat with his friends. At least now his friends have been made aware of how they are being used by the Chinese to get to him. Hopefully no one will take his calls anymore now that they know China and Russia are listening in. And I hope the Dems hold a dozen hearings when they take back the Senate in two weeks....

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Rachel is one of the very few that generally stays above the fray.  Sometimes she falls into the trap or is forced into the trap by her producers/network but for the most part she sees these things for what they are and covers the important stuff.

I wish more would refuse to take the bait.

And she doesn't show those damn Trump clips that Matthews, Hayes & Williams endlessly play.  Do those 3 idiots realize they're promoting Trump by constantly playing those horrible clips?  Or are they just spineless jellyfish, propped up by producers who tell 'em what to do?  Rachel is clearly on a whole different level.  Her weakness is she has Kornacki on -- altho thankfully not too much.  I'm at a point now where I have to either mute him or move on till he's gone.  Guess he'll be the superstar for MSNBC on election nite.  I dread that.  I really do.  And it's gonna be a scary enough nite without dealing with Kornacki & his annoying shtick.

Thank you, Rachel, for pointing out EXACTLY who is lying about supporting Obamacare & pre-existing conditions -- and NOT just Trump, which is to be expected anyway.  Shine your spotlight on this, Rach & keep it up till November 6th!  Jeez, they really think people are morons -- to lie so blatantly, eh?  Or maybe they didn't count on Rachel to shine her spotlight on their obvious lies?

• Love 2

Loved how Rachel was all blushing and shy at the end when she talked about her podcast already being No. 1 even though it's not even going to be on air for another week.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

I also appreciated her angle on the bombing story; rather than making uneducated guesses/pointing fingers, let the signature point to the bomber.

In some of the detective fiction I read/watch, the best of 'em eschew motive for means and opportunity. Juries like to have a motive, but following the other aspects will get you farther in an investigation.

• Love 4

As soon as Rachel said the judge’s name was Vance, I was thinking, “Wait...as in Joyce Vance?!?”

Me too!  

In some of the detective fiction I read/watch, the best of 'em eschew motive for means and opportunity. Juries like to have a motive, but following the other aspects will get you farther in an investigation.

Another thing I've learned from Law & Order. 

That was a really great show last night.  She did calm me down a lot. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I watched that whole clip going, OK i see what you're doing drawing a parallel to previous bombings and how the guy was caught/identified in order to show how the FBI will be able to track this guy down.  When she started focusing in on the Judge and his son/daughter-in-law i was like OK....I care because?  Then she made comment about how they called the daughter-in-law to ask about the bombing and I again I was like Why should I care?  She must have said Judge Vance sooooo many times last night and I never put it together until Joyce showed up for the Interview...I felt like an idiot.

• Love 4

Joyce's husband, Bob Vance Jr was on one of the earlier shows last night talking about his father's killing.    I thought it was very generous of him to appear given what his parents and family went through.   I think it was either on The Beat or Hardball.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

And she doesn't show those damn Trump clips that Matthews, Hayes & Williams endlessly play.  Do those 3 idiots realize they're promoting Trump by constantly playing those horrible clips?  Or are they just spineless jellyfish, propped up by producers who tell 'em what to do?  Rachel is clearly on a whole different level.  Her weakness is she has Kornacki on -- altho thankfully not too much.  I'm at a point now where I have to either mute him or move on till he's gone.  Guess he'll be the superstar for MSNBC on election nite.  I dread that.  I really do.  And it's gonna be a scary enough nite without dealing with Kornacki & his annoying shtick.

Thank you, Rachel, for pointing out EXACTLY who is lying about supporting Obamacare & pre-existing conditions -- and NOT just Trump, which is to be expected anyway.  Shine your spotlight on this, Rach & keep it up till November 6th!  Jeez, they really think people are morons -- to lie so blatantly, eh?  Or maybe they didn't count on Rachel to shine her spotlight on their obvious lies?

I barely watch Matthews, Hayes or Williams because they show clips of Drumpf ad nauseam. I just can't!

I don't mind Kornacki. I guess I'm in the minority? 

Rachel is my rock lately. I try to watch many different perspectives but Rachel is always and I mean always---spot on with her analogies. And yes as she pointed out -- the maker(s) of those bombs will be identified. It is just a matter of time.

• Love 8

I like Steve K. when he's sitting at the desk talking normally. It's when he gets in front of his board and is jumping around and flailing his arms and talking so fast I can hardly understand him that he gets to be too much for me.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, shok said:

It's when he gets in front of his board and is jumping around and flailing his arms and talking so fast I can hardly understand him that he gets to be too much for me.

That's what drives me crazy.  Just sit down and talk Steve. 

Its great that Rachel mentioned the postal workers and law enforcement who are on the front lines during this bombing.  She didn't mention it - but don't forget the postal workers who were killed during the Anthrax attacks.  

• Love 12
19 hours ago, taanja said:

I don't mind Kornacki. I guess I'm in the minority? 

I don't mind him either, but I do get frustrated when they throw to him without anything new to report. But honestly, that's my same objection to any ongoing-breaking story coverage, like weather, or active shooter: they have too little info to fill too much time. They could cut away and do some regular block-stories, but they don't.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, attica said:

I don't mind him either, but I do get frustrated when they throw to him without anything new to report. But honestly, that's my same objection to any ongoing- breaking story coverage, like weather, or active shooter.  they have too little info to fill too much time. They could cut away and do some regular block-stories, but they don't.

Totally agree! they lose my attention when they show that kind of stuff.

I loved Rachel pointing out last night that these bombs in the mail don't just effect the people for whom they are intended-- but the "little people" ---the mail carriers and postal workers in all stations who pick up the mail and sort it and simply work in the building. I hadn't actually thought that deeply -- but I was like-- yeah! Those are real people just doing their jobs and living their lives -- caught in the crazy! Wow! Mind blown.

• Love 6

Kornacki (and others) with their big boards remind me of the weather guys who get so fascinated with their Doppler Radar Ultrasound.  Just simmer down and tell me if it's going to rain.  I agree, Kornacki is fine at the desk, but when he is at the big board, he's like a 3 year old who has eaten his entire bag of Halloween candy.  

I've been saying that about the bomb case from the beginning, that it would be a postal employee or some GS-4 mail clerk in a Senate office who would be blown up.  It's not like Barack Obama is strolling down to the mailbox at the end of his driveway to see if his latest issue of Sports Illustrated showed up.  Think about the Unabomber - one of his bombs injured a law enforcement officer who was checking out a suspicious package, one went off in the cargo hold of an airplane in mid-flight causing several minor injuries (but it could have been catastrophic), and one injured a target's secretary.  

There are some days I can't wait to watch Rachel, and this is one of those days.  

• Love 8

Rach, you played a really long Trump clip last nite that I had to immediately mute.  Why?  I forgive you for that, Rach, but please fight off those NBC execs, who seem to be forcing all hosts to endlessly play Trump clips for whatever their reasons.

• Love 7

I also hate having to watch the president* speak, but I think Rachel only shows the clips when she really wants to make a point, I don’t think it’s network interference. Friday was highlighting the intensity of the actual rhetoric coming out of his and his supporters’ stupid mouths.

• Love 7

I'm so glad Rachel used Martha McSally as the main example for Republicans’ hypocrisy on health care. I remember back when she first said, “Let's get this f***ing thing done,” and I was livid. I also figured it would be a perfect campaign ad for her opponent come election time. I don't know that they've capitalized on that, but I really appreciate Rachel's takedown of her.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, ahisma said:

I'm so glad Rachel used Martha McSally as the main example for Republicans’ hypocrisy on health care. I remember back when she first said, “Let's get this f***ing thing done,” and I was livid. I also figured it would be a perfect campaign ad for her opponent come election time. I don't know that they've capitalized on that, but I really appreciate Rachel's takedown of her.

She also dismissed a reporter who questioned her hypocrisy concerning Obamacare and said can we talk about the Caravan..  She basically said, I want to scare people into voting for me. The sad thing is that it will work.

As a nation, we are ill-informed and it is the reason that we are in this crisis. Critical thinking needs to be encouraged in schools and civics classes need to be mandatory in schools, as well. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 14

About early voting.

If you're interested, there's a good article online at CNN now What Early Voting Does (and doesn't) Tell Us

Also, fivethirtyeight has s new podcast about this too.

• Love 2
On 10/27/2018 at 9:53 PM, Bethorz said:

I also hate having to watch the president* speak, but I think Rachel only shows the clips when she really wants to make a point, I don’t think it’s network interference. Friday was highlighting the intensity of the actual rhetoric coming out of his and his supporters’ stupid mouths.

Yeah, she probably was trying to make a point.  But since her motto is WATCH WHAT THEY DO, NOT WHAT THEY SAY, showing Trump clips at all seems pointless.  That long Trump clip on her Friday show stood out to me, since she NEVER shows any.  Hopefully, she'll continue to do that.  

CNN just announced they'll be showing less Trump clips -- and they noticeably are showing less of 'em.  MSNBC has gone in the opposite direction.  Rachel is the lone standout in this respect.  Other than her, I can't watch MSNBC anymore cuz it feels like I'm watching FOX & I have to run for the remote to mute the zillions of Trump clips played every 2 seconds by ALL other hosts other than Rachel.  Don't know why this is -- but it definitely is.

• Love 8

Hey, is Rach reading here?  Cuz she opened her show with a Trump clip -- at a rally!  But it was only for a few seconds.  And then she mentioned a Trump tweet, which she NEVER discusses.  But oh did she have a valid point for doing so.  She was highlighting Trump's utter lack of respect for the Pittsburgh shooting victims by going there tomorrow, despite Pittsburgh's mayor's request to hold off doing so.  Nicely done, Rach!

So would DeSantis take Rach up on her invite?  Not likely, but I'd be curious to see how Rach would conduct an interview with a contentious character she clearly doesn't like.

• Love 3