Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2018 Season

• Start Topic

It was great to get the Brennan interview, and also brave of both of them to do it live -- I had thought ahead of time that it might be a taped interview (nothing wrong with that) that might have been edited.    I noticed that Rachel called the 2016 events "the Russian attack," as opposed to interference, and perhaps she has used that term previously.  But "attack" was certainly the perspective of Brennan: "Nothing short of treasonous."  Rachel:  "Nothing short of treason means treason...it means you think the President is serving another country rather our own?"  Brennan:  "Well, yeah." 

I missed the date thing at the end, but assume it was about the fact that this is a palindrome week.  

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5

I had been a little surprised that Brennan picked Rachel for his first interview—she's widely considered to be a lefty on a "biased" network. But it makes sense to me now. I think foremost, she's a Rhodes scholar, very well versed in the issues of the past couple of years, thoughtful, and genuine and forthright. He came across as extremely intelligent and deeply principled, so it was an excellent match. It's just too bad everyone who dismisses MSNBC won't watch the interview. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ahisma said:

I had been a little surprised that Brennan picked Rachel for his first interview—she's widely considered to be a lefty on a "biased" network. But it makes sense to me now. I think foremost, she's a Rhodes scholar, very well versed in the issues of the past couple of years, thoughtful, and genuine and forthright. He came across as extremely intelligent and deeply principled, so it was an excellent match. It's just too bad everyone who dismisses MSNBC won't watch the interview. 

And Rachel said near the end that she particularly appreciated that he sat down for the interview, because he knows that she has publicly disagreed with him in the past:  "for all my disagreements with you on a number of different policy matters, I have profound and earnest respect for your service."  Here is the full transcript of the interview:   http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/rachel-maddow-interviews-john-brennan-read-the-full-transcript

• Love 8

Excellent interview with Brennan. Rachel didn't give him a soft interview, pressed him to clarify some of the things he said, yet allowed him to actually fully expand on some of the things he had testified to or have been kind of ambiguous in the media. And I could listen to his speaking voice forever; slight lilt to it, maybe it's a result of his growing up with an Irish immigrant father.

Once again, after hearing one of our high-level federal law enforcement officers speak about their career, you can just hear the passion in their voice, feel the pride they took in their work for our country. These men and women had more on their minds than the politics of the person doing the crime or even the person themselves, they wanted to stop the person(s) from harming our country. I was the same way. Just stop what you are doing!

• Love 9

I watched the interview tonight. It was IMO quite good. John Brennan is a true patriot.

MSNBC is lucky to have him on their team.

I hope he never shuts up!

Edited by stormy
  • Love 12
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, ScoobieDoobs said:

In what seems like an overload of former prosecutors who are commentators on MSNBC, this guy [Gene Rossi] stands out.  He's super knowledgeable & he's got an engaging personality -- which I thought was surprising, given that he said he was a tax attorney (and they're usually dry as a bone).

When Rach interviewed him, she seemed to imply it was his first appearance.  I bet it was his first apearance on MSNBC.  Sorry, but I thought his appearance with Rach was great.  Not only was he smart & confident in an understated & appealing way, he stated very astute observations on the judge -- that only he would know, having appeared before him.  

And he made very specific predictions of what Manafort will be found guilty of.  Let's see if he turns out to be right.  I was very impressed with him.  Rach seemed to be too.  Don't be surprised if he turns up again on her show.  I'm not surprised he's turning up all over the MSNBC lineup.  This guy is a really good guest.

Gene Rossi was on a show earlier today, along with Chuck Rosenberg, and at one point, the host said that Rosenberg used to be Rossi's boss!  

• Love 2

Hmmm, interesting.  I thought the reference was to one of the youngies -- like Daniel Goldman.  Anyhoo, why didn't Rach have this thread's boyfriend, Chuck Rosenberg on tonite?

Wow, Lanny Davis, Rach?  Now, that was a great get!

More transcript readings -- YAY!

• Love 3

Yes, I thought the Lanny Davis interview was amazing.  And he really threw the president under the bus (for the second or third time today, the others in court).  Emily Jane Fox was another great interview, with long-term access to Cohen, including late today.  And remember yesterday when Rachel was going "hmmmm, if Cohen is cooperating, why don't the Feds have his Blackberry password?"  Well, here is the answer in Fox's article late today:  "communication was so limited that although prosecutors filed a letter in court noting that they couldn’t access one of Cohen’s Blackberry devices, they didn’t even reach out to ask for the password."  Full article (several free articles per month at VF, so choose wisely!):  https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/08/donald-trump-directed-him-to-commit-a-crime-michael-cohen-nails-the-casket-shut-on-his-former-boss  

11 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Hmmm, interesting.  I thought the reference was to one of the youngies -- like Daniel Goldman. 

Yes, Rossi and Rosenburg both worked in the Eastern District of Virginia.  

Shallow note:  Rachel seemed to have longer eyelashes than usual this evening; maybe it was just me noticing this?  

• Love 2

Even though Chuck Rosenberg is the resident hottie here, I think I have a thing for Paul Fishman. I find him attractive, like a younger Richard Dreyfuss. Not my usual type, but I really love seeing him on tv!

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 3

My theory is there's some wacky makeup artist applying way too much mascara & Rach isn't paying attention to it.  I refuse to believe Rach wears false eyelashes -- cuz my head will explode & worlds will collide (for me anyway).  Maybe the overload of mascara is making her blink so much?

Well, no Chuck Rosenberg, but at least Barbara McQuade was there.  Call me nuts, but I find her soooo soothing.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 5

Rachel was right, the Duncan Hunter indictment is being lost in the wash.  Isn't is amazing that a sitting member of Congress is indicted on various public corruption charges, in an indictment full of details, and it's barely mentioned by Rachel?  Other than that brief mention at the beginning of how she told the staff member that wasn't a funny joke when the news of the indictment was breaking. Rachel did say that Hunter was the 2nd MOC to endorse Trump, and now the first 2 to do so both have been indicted, and then she mused about who was the third one to endorse Trump.  It was Jeff Sessions.  

My tv pal is also Barbara McQuade.  She makes the federal criminal process so easy to understand.  

• Love 6

But Rach led off with the Hunter indictment, so good on her cuz she's right.  It is getting lost in the sauce -- at least today.

Interesting that the jury was not swayed by Manafort offering up Trump admin positions to the bank pres for millions in loans.  Was this cuz Judge Asshole restricted the prosecution, so the jury didn't understand what was going on?  Ya think?  Thanks, Barb, for clearing that up for us.  Er, our friend Joyce Vance calls her Barb, so we can too, right?

• Love 5

I disagree that Hunter is the luckiest one today...Larry Kudlow is---news broke of him hosting a white nationalist supporter at his home last week and not a blip on TV news.

Joyce Vance called it--she predicted Tuesday verdict after lunch.....

Whoever is doing Rachel's makeup is doing is putting the special HD makeup on with a trowel--I watched her in SD and it was like spackle around her eyes.

I am not sure why the fact that Lanny Davis is Cohen's lawyer seems so right---but that he has been the one to lead Cohen to this point seems very fitting.

• Love 6

That was a smart catch by Lawrence during the handoff--Michael Cohen was given dispensation to travel to a place where he doesn't do business or have family, Washington, DC, oh, just in case he wants to chat with Robert Mueller.  Hadn't heard anyone else make that point.

2 hours ago, Calvada said:

My tv pal is also Barbara McQuade.  She makes the federal criminal process so easy to understand.

MSNBC has really done well in recruiting its legal analysts.  Barbara, Joyce, and Chuck are the anti-Nancy Grace.  Calm, unemotional, well-versed in the law and great at teaching it.  

2 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

My theory is there's some wacky makeup artist applying way too much mascara & Rach isn't paying attention to it.  I refuse to believe Rach wears false eyelashes

Usually it's pretty evident she has false eyelashes (not by choice, of course--someone's making her do it), because they're unnaturally thick (and she flutters them as if they weigh down her eyelids), but tonight when she looked down, her lashes were separate and spiky, as if they'd been mascara'ed to attention.  Why TPTB think she needs either one, I don't know.  I don't watch her for makeup tips and I don't think anyone else does, either.

2 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Even though Chuck Rosenberg is the resident hottie here, I think I have a thing for Paul Fishman. I find him attractive, like a younger Richard Dreyfuss.

I liked what he had to say, but he spoke way too fast for teevee.  I saw Chuck on earlier shows today, so I'll forgive Rachel for not having him tonight.

Oh, and Rachel, I know you thought you were giving us a surprise guest, but when the giant chyron announces that you're going to be talking to Michael Cohen's lawyer, we're sort of not surprised when he shows up.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 2

Wow, Lanny Davis, Rach?  Now, that was a great get!

I know!  I will say this for Michael Cohen, while he himself doesn't seem like the world's greatest lawyer, he did seem to have hired a very good lawyer for himself. 

Joyce Vance called it--she predicted Tuesday verdict after lunch.....

My prediction was 5 pm Tuesday so I was very close. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, attica said:

The handoff from Chris was especially charming. "THOSE KINDS OF JOKES AREN'T FUNNY!" The news gods do not GAF.

I laughed. I would adore a BTS video or Rachel's staff meetings on days like this. Basically anytime she has to throw out a planned show for breaking news.

I don't know why but, I love when Rachel reads court transcripts, she gets so into it.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Anyone else get the feeling Lanny is a Rach groupie?

Yes.  That was amazing.  Also amazing was how predictably uncomfortable his statement of admiration made her.

22 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I laughed. I would adore a BTS video or Rachel's staff meetings on days like this. Basically anytime she has to throw out a planned show for breaking news.

I don't know why but, I love when Rachel reads court transcripts, she gets so into it.

I also laughed during the handover, and again when she took a deep theatrical breath before reading the transcripts.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 2

The hint on the best NBC legal commentators are the ones Rach consistently has on --- Chuck, Joyce & Barb are primo!  The youngies?  Danny Cevallis is too slick for me.  Daniel Goldman is too personality free & so is Mimi Rocha.  But they're never on with Rach.  Guess she has her pick of the better ones . . .

Btw, Lanny was a terrific guest!  Never seen him before, but he was articulate, animated & interesting.  Coincidence that he chose Rach to go on with first after the Cohen guilty plea?  Nuh-uh.  He's on with Katy Tur today, but I bet if he has big news to share, he'll go right back to Rach.

Hey, did Rach start blushing when Lanny was gushing on her?  Cute!

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2

I actually didn't like Lanny fanboi-ing, at least in this context. I guess because he wasn't there for an 'explainer' type visit, but rather an 'explain yourself, sir!' visit. Buttering up the interviewer is, in this case, kind of obnoxious and manipulative. "Oh, I love you [subtext ' we're on the same side, go easy on me']".  If Chuck or Barbara did the same thing, it would be adorable, I hasten to add. But in this context, my shoulders went up around my ears.

Have I said 'context' enough in this post? yeesh.

• Love 1

I know what you mean -- it was a bit uncomfy.  But I luv it when a guest tells Rach that she's awesome . . . cuz well, she is!  Anyhoo, this was Lanny's first time on with her, so I'll excuse the gushing.  Honestly, I luved seeing this from Lanny cuz it signaled to me he's probably gonna be giving her tons of insider scoops.  Yay!

And no, no gushing from Chuck, but if he gets nerdy on Rach, she seems pretty happy.  Me too 

• Love 1

It was great that Rachel was the first to interview Lanny Davis, aside from the fandom, because she got him while he was fresh off the courtroom event and was full of energy and a story to tell.  He has been on many shows I have seen and not seen today, the day after Rachel's show, and I am guessing he has not slept, because he is very, very labored in his answers, and looks like twelfth-generation copy on an older photocopy machine.  The excitement and crispness are gone.  Emily Jane Fox, on the other hand, looks as fresh and is as articulate as she was on Rachel's show, although she also could not have had much sleep.  Barbara McQuade always looks like she is ready to present her case to the court; she has also been on many shows in the past 24 hours.  I appreciate that the studio where Barbara McQuade does her interviews swaps out the daytime and evening backdrops of Ann Arbor, depending on the time of day.  Rachel gets the evening backdrop.  

• Love 7
On 8/15/2018 at 1:16 PM, jjj said:

I think Rachel likes any opportunity to say "teeeeny tiny [whatever]".  And yes, this bank qualifies in the category.  I suspect the depths of this fraud have only become apparent to the bank in the past two weeks; and I am afraid that the stupidity of Calk will put specific people out of their jobs, and probably make the bank ripe for assimilation into another bank via the FDIC.  They are very experienced at sweeping in on a Friday afternoon and making it a whole new bank by Monday, in the most efficient and humane way possible.  But Calk was a classic pigeon waiting to be hunted, combination of stupidity and astonishing ambition, given his limited range of experience.  He will pay for this -- will Manafort?  I almost felt bad that Rachel was mocking his spelling and Wikipedia pasting, because he so clearly did not understand the deep, deep pile of s--t he was jumping into.  But he was aspiring to public office, so it's all public now.  

The bank's website makes an interesting read, especially their executive leadership page.

https://www.thefederalsavingsbank.com/about/leadership

The Steve Calk CEO bio should be saved for posterity, especially this bit of irony (posted of course before the recent events):

"...In the 2016/2017 election Mr. Calk served as a Senior Economic Advisor to the President Elect of the United States. In 2017 Mr. Calk was named EY Entrepreneur of the Year finalist, Midwest division.

"He is regularly featured in print and on air national news programs including CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, Fox Business News, CNBC Squawk Box, CBS evening news, The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Washington Post, Reuters, Money, Crain’s Chicago Business, the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun Times..."

"I do not think that means what you think it means".

• Love 8

"When it comes to the pickle Mr. Pecker has put the president in..."

Ohhhhhhhh, Rachel!! 

and, ETA with regard to Enquirer covers:

enquirer.thumb.jpg.0c18b89bf2fb423731ca10bf9df4500d.jpg

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 12

Just when you thought Rachel reading transcripts was the height of entertainment, she elevates our culture by reading a year's worth of National Enquirer covers.  That was terrifying and hilarious-- how is that possible?

And all day I have avoided making any jokes about the name Mr. Pecker, because I am not nine years  old.  And Rachel have us permission to be nine times whatever, which is now a fine age for jokes.  And so we have the pickle Mr. Pecker put the President in. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, freddi said:

Just when you thought Rachel reading transcripts was the height of entertainment, she elevates our culture by reading a year's worth of National Enquirer covers.  That was terrifying and hilarious-- how is that possible?

And all day I have avoided making any jokes about the name Mr. Pecker, because I am not nine years  old.  And Rachel have us permission to be nine times whatever, which is now a fine age for jokes.  And so we have the pickle Mr. Pecker put the President in. 

Those awful headlines, made me laugh out loud at the absurdity of it all and then it made me sad, knowing that it had the intended effect, given the predicament that we are currently experiencing, as a nation.  

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Those awful headlines, made me laugh out loud at the absurdity of it all and then it made me sad, knowing that it had the intended effect, given the predicament that we are currently experiencing, as a nation.  

It made me sad thinking that there are people who get their "news" from that rag. 

• Love 3

I went through the same thing with the Headlines, laughter at the stupidity, followed by seems like they're accusing HRH of Trump's crimes, to finally depressed when Rachel pointed out that this is what people see everyday at the grocery store, even if they don't buy/read the magazine ?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

seems like they're accusing HRH of Trump's crimes,

That was the thing that struck me most (besides the pecker-puns. I love them.) It's like they got hold of the acrid Orange's day planner, and just pasted over HRC's image and name.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, attica said:

That was the thing that struck me most (besides the pecker-puns. I love them.) It's like they got hold of the acrid Orange's day planner, and just pasted over HRC's image and name.

The propaganda machines have been going after her for years.  Unfortunately, they have succeeded.

• Love 8

"Rachel will be back on Monday."  They are trying to keep us from freaking out! It worked! 

ETA:  And Lawrence piled on by saying to Ali:  "Thank you for filling in so Rachel could have a well-earned Friday off, FOR A CHANGE."  Not ironically.

(Rachel has hosted one Friday show this month, the Brennan interview last week.  Three Fridays off.  She did one Friday show in July.  Good for her.  Just sayin', it is not that unusual.)  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 3

Rachel mentioned the Duncan Hunter scandal briefly last week in the middle of all the other news -- and I just found a whole opening segment about both Reps. Duncan Hunters (father/son) when I was deleting old podcasts.  November 12, 2015. She was amazed at both of them, and actually said "Ha!Ha!Ha!" at one point when the newer Hunter was trying to claim (on Fox News) that 10 ISIS agents had been captured at a border.  I have to applaud her early radar about his lack of trustworthiness. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, freddi said:

She was amazed at both of them, and actually said "Ha!Ha!Ha!" at one point when the newer Hunter was trying to claim (on Fox News) that 10 ISIS agents had been captured at a border.

Oh it was THAT guy? I remember that story. He kept doubling down on it with no proof. No wonder he was second to jump on the Trump bandwagon—same kind of we need to build a wall, fake news BSer.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ahisma said:

Oh it was THAT guy? I remember that story. He kept doubling down on it with no proof. No wonder he was second to jump on the Trump bandwagon—same kind of we need to build a wall, fake news BSer.

Yes, even Greta van Sustern (the Fox interviewer) was incredulous, and gave him several chances to back down.  As Rachel called her: "my good friend Greta, and she really is."  Rachel was mostly amazed that he would not back down.  She also showed a Homeland Security statement that said this was false.  Rachel gave a lot of time to the different activities of both father and son. 

I don't save most podcasts, and must have saved this because Rachel was having so much fun. 

Edited by freddi
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Rachel, to the White House: "Just be decent." I think Rach is reaching LO'D levels of having no more fucks to give (not that she'd ever use that language.)

Yes, her opening minutes were definitely Rachel's last nerve being worked.   

I'm glad she had the speaker phone call clusterf--k to cheer her up.  

• Love 4

Soooo more fun court transcript readings, Chuck Rosenberg, & Rach getting choked up over the lack of decency in the White House?  Oh yeah, good show!

Wait, anyone else get the feeling Rach was hinting this DC judge ain't nothin' like Judge Asshole from the last Manafort trial?  I kinda got that Rach was snickering on what a big dope Manafort was to go forward with this trial.  Me thinks Rach is gonna have fun in September covering this one.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 6

I hope Rachel's feelings prove true. 

Wasn't it reported yesterday that Manafort wanted to make a deal before the second trial and it fell through?

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2

The news about North Carolina's supreme court ordering the  state's map to be remade in time for the November elections had me cheering.

I have  learned so much about gerrymandering and it's unfairness to democracy due to Rachel who never stopped beating that drum.

She focuses on things that everybody else finds to be inconsequential.  She never focuses on inane tweets, unless it is germane to her show.

Her just be decent line made me smile.. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 10

Plus, even if you ignore the issue of disrespect shown to Senator McCain, the flag incident is akin to the spelling mistakes that drives Rachel crazy.   The flag protocol is basic office 101 in Washington DC.   Sadly, its not that uncommon that people pass away - especially former and current Members of Congress.  That proclamation that went out late yesterday afternoon should have gone out first thing Monday morning - it could have been prepared last week.   Its akin to knowing how a speaker phone works.

Chuck!! 

• Love 6

Chuck always looks so sad and a little nauseated on Rachel's show, like he found out a highway will be routed through his ancient family homestead.  Or that an unchecked sociopath is upending the justice system that Chuck believes is the foundation of our nation. 

• Love 7