Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2018 Season

• Start Topic

Wow, McMaster reported fired *during* Rachel's show.  Should she get a magic Kornacki board so she can write updates on The Board while her show is in progress?

Seriously, what a mess in the White House.  Gerbils running around without a wheel to keep them in place. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 7

I'm going to need to invest in one of those gigantic TVs to be able to read Rachel's board soon.  I think she may have to go to "year 1" and "year 2" boards soon.  She's going to have to have a long, long wall with many, many columns.  Give her a pointer (she would LOVE that) as she walks along going through all the names.  Except the network probably wouldn't want her to wear her faded blue jeans we all know she is hiding beneath her desk if she was regularly standing up to walk along the wall of names.

Those kids were very inspiring.  It gives me some hope for the future of our country, something I haven't felt much recently.  I just hope they all vote once they are 18.  

Mania in the White House - wow.  Remember back in the 70s when we worried about a drunk Nixon, making Kissinger pray with him?  The good old days!  

I wish one of these reporters would address the comments supposedly from Trump that now he will have the cabinet/staff he wants.  Just who picked all these people in the first place?  I'm waiting for the tweet that somehow blames Obama for forcing Trump to pick Tillerson, McMaster, Sessions and all the rest.  

• Love 11

Okay, it is 7:04 (Pacific Time) and Rachel is still talking hilariously to Lawrence O'D, when laughter broke out -- and L O'D said "You have a studio audience," and the camera cut away to his first two guests, in stitches, Michael Isikoff and David Corn.  A new level of handoff!  

Edited by jjj
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, jjj said:

Okay, it is 7:04 (Pacific Time) and Rachel is still talking hilariously to Lawrence O'D, when laughter broke out -- and L O'D said "You have a studio audience," and the camera cut away to his first two guests, in stitches, Michael Isikoff and David Corn.  A new level of handoff!  

Those handoffs between Lawrence and Rachel are divine. I have noticed that everybody on MSNBC, now do it.  However, nobody else does it as well and as natural as Lawrence and Rachel.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 8

Gads, Rachel's segment about Russian hackers have their 'hands" on the buttons inside our nuclear power plants, other energy and power grids, has me terrified!  Why isn't our government doing something about This?!  Oh yea, they've got other things going on~~

• Love 6

I guess The Board is just for paid staffers, not family members who decide to separate or divorce from Trump and company.  I'm sure Rachel has more sensitivity than me in thinking of Vanessa Trump as another departure.  

• Love 3

When Rachel seems shaken, I get really anxious. She's seems (rightfully so) very shaken by the report that Russia has actually hacked the inner workings of our nuclear power plants. Like I said in an earlier post on this thread, she has subtly begun to show her angst and I feel she has a huge weight on her shoulders (knowing that so many of us count on her to keep US calm). 

• Love 4

HaHaHaHaHa!  When Rachel is amused, I generally am amused as well:  "So...this candidate WHO JUST FINISHED HIS CRIMINAL PROBATION MONDAY has gained the endorsement of SOMEONE WHO HAS JUST PLED GUILTY ON FEDERAL CHARGES"  -- about the challenger (Omar Navarro) to Rep. Maxine Waters, on probation for illegally putting a tracking device on his ex-wife's car, who just got the endorsement of Michael Flynn, who also is scheduled to appear at a fundraiser for this challenger in Los Angeles.  WHAT a rogue's gallery this is!  If you did not hear Rachel run through the various excuses of this challenger when a newspaper tried to ask about his conviction, you should try to catch it on the rerun tonight.  Basically, tried to deny he was the same Omar Navarro, denied this had happened, denied it had happened in the past year ("it was years ago"), and finally admitted he was the guy.  Rachel had a good time with all this. 

I think I have mentioned that most of the Friday MSNBC shows are repeated during the day on Saturday, which has been very entertaining. 

ETA:  She included some cell phone video of Flynn arriving at the fundraiser.  "Awaiting sentencing, and ready to crowd-surf.  Apparently you can do that." [go to a fundraiser while awaiting sentencing]

And damn.  Just as she said goodbye to Lawrence, the crawl at the bottom of the screen said that Sessions has fired Andrew McCabe.

Edited by jjj
  • Love 12

Crap. I have to watch Rachel to find out that notorious scumbag lawyer Charles Harder has been hired by trump to defend himself against Stormy Daniels.

I mean it's really something that trump and his equally low life wife spend their time suing people, news outlets, or anyone that they think will reveal the truth about them.

• Love 2

I highly recommend Rachel's opening segment that leads up to Cambridge Analytica, which finally got me to understand what that group is, and also makes clear the Robert Mercer black ops pivot to the Trump campaign and how Kelly Ann Conway got installed at the top of the Trump machine.  Wow, the roots run so deep in their swamp, and these people really do  not want to be messed with.  My favorite part was the secretly recorded video of the Cambridge Analytica honcho trying to recruits a "client" by telling how they can deliver secretly recorded video of candidates as opposition research.  I don't think Rachel explained who recorded the secret tape of the "secret taping" sales pitch. "We put the 'thing' out in the bloodstream of the Internet, but no one can realize it's propaganda."

Sometimes (like in this segment), we can hear Rachel circling things in pencil on the sheet in front of her.  That sound of graphite on paper. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I think the recording was part of a Channel 4 expose in the U.K.

Thanks, I saw the "News 4" when she showed the clip again tonight; I think I was not sure what that meant, so thank you.

Rachel also quoted parts of an interview with a scientist who developed some of the nerve agents that probably were used in the recent attack in Britain, and said there was a link on the show's site.  It's not quite as bad as she said, but quite chilling to read.  And I am amazed this scientist is still alive for two reasons:  one, that he spent over a decade creating incredibly devastating nerve agents, and two, that he was allowed to retire and speak about his past work.  I'd think that someone who knew exactly how retribution is carried out would be very careful not to invite retribution.   As she said, there is a link on the show's site.   

• Love 4

I think Rachel and I were making the same face as she outlined the Qatar funding situation - after chasing funding for so long suddenly the Kushners didn’t want the money.  Say what?

She was very sweet with the Parkland women.

• Love 10

Lawrence O'Donnell told Rachel that he could have watched an entire hour of Rachel in conversation with the young women from Parkland.  Me too.  I loved the delighted fangirl smiles when they simultaneously greeted her with "Thank you  for having us."  What a terrible world they have found themselves in, but what a future they can see when they look to someone like Rachel Maddow.  Rachel knows full well there was no one in a position like hers for a young Rachel to turn to -- but she is making such a difference in the world just by doing her job so well.     

• Love 16

Along with all the other substantive stuff discussed with the Parkland women, I now have a bit of a fixation with their eyelash game. Whoever did their makeup: exceedingly well played!

• Love 1

Yup, change the font size and margins to fit the page limit for your term paper.  It looks like a flight board for Delta in Atlanta.

maddow 03-22-18.png

Nooooooo, I could not believe Rachel's segment on Joe DiGenova and the lawyers.   Oh, man, is Rachel really making us long for the days/hours when Dowd was representing the President?  ("Predisent")  I truly hope for all of our sakes that she is right that "This Is Not A Legal Team".

Edited by jjj
  • Love 6

Ugh, Rach, tonite you made a very unpleasant prediction & connected the dots in a way NOBODY else has -- er, how those clownish/buffoonish Fox lawyers are clearly NOT a legit team to defend him against Mueller.  As you said, Rach, they do seem to be a very obvious setup for a fearsome & terrifying PR machine to persistently go on Fox, in babbling defense of him -- presumably after he gets rid of Mueller.  Oh Rach, this time I hope you're being overly dramatic & wrong.  But I don't think Rach is wrong. 

Why is it there's shit like this EVERY FUCKING DAY?  Yeesh, I hate it.  And Rachel's bewildered looks & manner doesn't make me feel any better -- but at least watching her, I have a pretty good idea what's coming, rather than being gob-smacked by Trump's shit.

Rach said it felt like a Friday cuz of all this stuff going on.  Maybe tomorrow will be quiet?  Yeah, right.  I liked her sign-off to LOD.  He reminded her of Stormy on Sunday & to prepare for something to happen to distract & sidetrack from that.  Rachel merely responded to LOD by shrugging her shoulders, with her hands in the air, a bit of a snicker & a what-are-ya-gonna-do & let's-just-sit-back-and-watch attitude.  She's been responding a lot that way lately.  Me too, Rach, me too.

• Love 5

Henceforth, they shall be known as the Hair-do McSwear Word Legal Team. 

"Do you think the President is going to agree to sit down with Mueller?"

"Nah. The Hair-do McSwear Words are doing a full-court press on Fox right now that he should be able to submit written answers."

(I have to find something to laugh at, because everything else is infuriating to terrifying.)

• Love 4

Favorite moments from the Friday show:  Rachel's betting pool ("for tacos, not money!")*** for breaking news on Sunday, to deflect from the "Stormy Daniels" interview; Rachel pretending to pound a large number of horse pills on her desk; the boom box behind Rachel when she was talking about "Heard on tape", about the Roy Jones attempt to discredit his accuser.

***Least favorite moment: that she bet on winning all the tacos when/if Michael Flynn is pardoned by Trump on Sunday afternoon.  She knows too much, and her gut instinct is too good. 

IMG_0362.PNG

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

Jennifer Palmieri?  Oh Jeez, really, Rach?  I've so had enough of this woman & her whining about losing the election.  Sorry, Rach, but FAIL on this one.  

Nope, you lost me, Rach.  Rather than being bored watching her, I switched to AC.  Much rather watch Stormy's awesome lawyer.

• Love 2

Yeah, there is too much at stake to spend air time rehashing how Jennifer and Huma were stoic in the election loss.

What happened to the backdrop about four minutes before the end of the show?  Rachel seemed entranced by the black background.

24 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Jennifer Palmieri?  Oh Jeez, really, Rach?  I've so had enough of this woman & her whining about losing the election.  Sorry, Rach, but FAIL on this one.  

Nope, you lost me, Rach.  Rather than being bored watching her, I switched to AC.  Much rather watch Stormy's awesome lawyer.

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

The stuff about Jared was fun to watch.  I always get a kick & a giggle when Rachel pokes at Jared.  But as her guest said at the end of the Jared segment, it will only mean something if Congress flips & they go after him as they should.  If Congress doesn't flip, this is just a lot of hooey, hot air & a waste of time.

Hopefully, Congress will flip & Rach will remember this story & have this guest back.  I do think Rach enjoys poking at Jared.  And I enjoy watching you enjoy it, Rach -- please don't stop.

• Love 4

I really liked the Jennifer Palmieri interview. It referenced the election but it wasn't really about that; it was about creating new models of leadership for women, like Emma González. Very thought provoking.

I'm always up for a little Jared poking! He is in such enormously deep doo-doo. Rachel explained how amazing his lawyer is, but look what the guy has to work with. What is the best case scenario there?

The Icelandic cheering with the drums and clapping was so cool!

• Love 8

"What happened? DO IT AGAIN! {I don't care if I have a show to give just please please please do that cool black-out thing again}"

Rachel is so easily entertained. I bet it is really fun to work with her, until those 18 hour days grind you down into dust.

The dial has been tuned down to 7 or so in the WH so far this week and it feels weird. Rachel has been able to play catch up with some of her favorite stories, which is nice, as well as showcase other stories we normally (for this admin) wouldn't get to hear from her. Maybe I shouldn't jinx things by saying this but I hope we have a day or two more like this from her.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Wow, Russian guy got really drunk and fell down until he died.  I felt really bad for laughing about that as hard as I did.

Yea, that's a crazy story!   What is being covered up & Why?  And Christopher Steele, of dossier fame, investigated the Russian guy's death too. Hmm

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Rachel's going to need a bigger board.

I heard it here, first.  Then had to go find out why!  Nicolle Wallace came up with her own version of The Board on her show yesterday, including people and organizations dissed by The Prez over the past year.  I prefer Rachel's Board, which shows the true trail of disruption in this administration. 

• Love 3

*raises hand* I admit, I was listening to the radio and they said Trump's personal physician would be the new VA head and I about lost my mind. I did think they meant that absolutely whacked out NY hippie! Luckily the story clarified. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ahisma said:

*raises hand* I admit, I was listening to the radio and they said Trump's personal physician would be the new VA head and I about lost my mind. I did think they meant that absolutely whacked out NY hippie! Luckily the story clarified. 

That is hilarious.  It's bad enough that Dr. "He's in *excellent* health" has been nominated; but that would have been a confirmation hearing for the ages, if Dr. "He would be the healthiest president in the history of the nation" had been nominated!  I appreciated that Rachel ran the press conference about the president's physical; it saved me the trouble of looking for it!   

• Love 3
8 hours ago, jjj said:

That is hilarious.  It's bad enough that Dr. "He's in *excellent* health" has been nominated; but that would have been a confirmation hearing for the ages, if Dr. "He would be the healthiest president in the history of the nation" had been nominated!  I appreciated that Rachel ran the press conference about the president's physical; it saved me the trouble of looking for it!   

Sad thing is, I was about 10 seconds into it before I realized she was running the SNL skit as a gag. 

Me last night: wow, I knew this guy was a suck up but this is insane...oh wait its a joke 

• Love 6

Yes, I admit it, I thought for a second it was the crazy NY doctor.  I wondered what was next - Ivanka's gynecologist as the HHS Secretary?  

Re the US attorney in Utah:  what I heard was that they did tell him he had to go, but then Orrin Hatch protested to Sessions that Huber was his guy, and surprise!  Huber got to stay.  Some will make a big deal of the fact that Huber was appointed by Obama, but that means nothing.  The US Attorney in Utah is always Hatch's guy, regardless of whether there's a Dem or a Repub in the White House.  

• Love 1

I was glad Rachel got a 4-day weekend (to celebrate her birthday!) since other than her illness last year, she's not had many days off in the past 16 months, but I was glad to see her tonight.  When I have a difficult day, an hour with Rachel always helps. 

The story about the Russian oligarch watching "The Godfather" every few months may have given birth to a new party game.  What movie would you watch every few months as a guideline for your life?   Or maybe name a politician:  what movie do you think she/he uses as their life manual?

2 hours ago, Calvada said:

When I have a difficult day, an hour with Rachel always helps. 

These days, an hour with Rachel frequently raises my stress level.  I've thought about giving her up for a while, but most nights there are surprisingly few watchable shows in competition with her.

• Love 3

I'm glad Rach read what the judge wrote about sentencing that Dutch lawyer married to the daughter of the Godfather-loving Russian oligarch.  Seems like nobody is giving this story coverage with such depth.  I mean he's only getting 30 days & I'm getting the feeling this is either being ignored by most people or its implications are being completely misunderstood and/or underestimated -- particularly the part about this guy being the son-in-law of a Russian oligarch.  Rach made me queasy & anxious tonite, but I'm glad she's covering this stuff so thoroughly & relentlessly.

You know, if there was a thought balloon over Rach's head during her interview with Cecile Richards, it woulda said -- Man, this woman is so awesome!  Rach was pretty obvious in her admiration & respect for her.  Me too, Rach, me too.

• Love 2

Great explanation of the difference between trump being a "subject" as opposed to a "target" by the Special Counsel, and how it could change very quickly.  But it will encourage trump to have his interview with Mueller.

• Love 5