Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2018 Season

• Start Topic

I've been watching a lot of the MSNBC year-end recap shows today and they all finish up with an extensive credits list for their staff.  And Rachel's is an order of magnitude bigger than anyone else's:

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/rachel-maddow/watch/rachel-maddow/watch/thank-you-for-watching-the-rachel-maddow-show-1407618115758

Also, on the Last Word, LOD had a pretty long segment with some classic Rachel-to-Lawrence handoffs as well as the infamous Chris Hayes-to Rachel handoff from a few weeks ago where the stage guy is still fitting the microphone into her ear.

• Love 2

Very clever and ominous musical quotation on the Friday show:  I was listening but not watching, and suddenly heard music from the Berlioz "Symphonie Fantastique" -- it started the segment on the low-level staffer involved in Watergate and pivoted to the low-level staffer George Papadopoulos and how key he was to launching the current investigation.  The clever part of the music?  They played the section called "March to the Scaffold," where the protagonist in the symphony is taken to his execution.  They played a little again at the end of the news segment.  Did Joyce explain why they were playing that?  I did not really hear anything until the music started.  

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure Joy said it was the theme music to the tv news coverage of the Senate Watergate hearings.  They used that music and graphics to introduce their coverage each day, like Special Report music.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, izabella said:

I'm pretty sure Joy said it was the theme music to the tv news coverage of the Senate Watergate hearings.  They used that music and graphics to introduce their coverage each day, like Special Report music.

Yes, I watched on the repeat, and it was the NBC Watergate Hearings theme music -- how apt, a full year before Nixon resigned!  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I think you heard the music played during the "Saturday Night Massacre", but I could be wrong.

• Love 1

One of my favorite moments in the film Deep Impact is the MSNBC studio right after the announcement of the incoming asteroid, with people scrambling for scientific experts and info, and in the middle, the director working with a composer for the crisis theme music.

• Love 3

Rachel’s New Year’s Eve show:  Is it pre-recorded?  Is it live?  Is it 1974? 

(I know it was recorded in advance, but it’s fascinating to see how her historical context opening segments blur the sharp edges of contemporary news.) 

But it’s amazing how often it feels like 1974.  

ETA: Oh, I had not seen those pictures of new members of Congress with Shirley Chisholm.  That made me cry.

Rachel’s show is by far the best New Year’s Eve show on MSNBC today.  Very forward-looking, while other shows were doing bits on the ridiculousness of the past year.  Even when she was talking about 1974, it was a slingshot into the future.  Thanks, Rachel!  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, freddi said:

Rachel’s New Year’s Eve show:  Is it pre-recorded?  Is it live?  Is it 1974? 

(I know it was recorded in advance, but it’s fascinating to see how her historical context opening segments blur the sharp edges of contemporary news.) 

But it’s amazing how often it feels like 1974.  

ETA: Oh, I had not seen those pictures of new members of Congress with Shirley Chisholm.  That made me cry.

Rachel’s show is by far the best New Year’s Eve show on MSNBC today.  Very forward-looking, while other shows were doing bits on the ridiculousness of the past year.  Even when she was talking about 1974, it was a slingshot into the future.  Thanks, Rachel!  

Actually I'm pretty sure tonight's (New Year's Eve's) MSNBC primetime line-up were all broadcast on Christmas Eve first...

• Love 3
5 hours ago, kassygreene said:

Actually I'm pretty sure tonight's (New Year's Eve's) MSNBC primetime line-up were all broadcast on Christmas Eve first...

Oh, I did not see Rachel’s show on Christmas Eve, but I did get a familiar whiff from some of the other shows.  In daytime on New Year Day, they just go to live coverage without trying to pretend that it’s Andrea Mitchell’s show (for example) instead of pre-recorded shows, and I prefer that.  

• Love 1