Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: The Knee

millk
  • Start Topic

I had a total knee replacement in September and was very interested in Grace's super gross knee. Great make up job on it, I'd faint too. I'm 30 years younger than Grace and she bounced back quicker than I did. (It change my life and I'm quite happy) 

• Love 3

I work in an orthopedic office and couldn't help thinking, "Where is the nurse?"  Why isn't she going to physical therapy?  : )

I didn't think the knee surgery was realistic of course because of the FF, but the "life is over" "Woe is me" was a little much. I see many more people much younger than Grace get new knees, it's not that she's ancient, she went much longer than most.

I don't understand why the women were suddenly very old, but the guys were fine and still having immature arguments. I hope if it comes back, they show them with more with the old energy and spark they always had and not treated not they were children.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, La Traviata said:

Did Jane Fonda have knee surgery or problems in real life?  I heard that's why they wrote that into the storyline to explain her limping.

She has talked about her struggle with stairs and having had knee, hip, and back surgery.

• Love 1

Jacob wanting “couple time” when Frankie is enjoying the initial days of her first grandchild and letting the sleep-deprived first-time parents get some rest is ridiculous.  If this was still going on months later, by all means, raise a fuss.  But in the immediate aftermath?  Get stuffed, even if she hadn’t tried moving her entire life for his retiring near family ass, and because she had?  Piss off.

Frankie was just as ridiculous objecting to him watching a TV show without her, and the Longmire commercial was obnoxious on general principle.

I like, though, that ultimately the break-up wasn't because of any of that foolishness, but simply an acknowledgment of the inevitable happening sooner than they'd expected.  And Grace finally getting up and hobbling over to her was beautiful.

Grace shouldn’t be constantly sitting there with a pillow propping her new knee into a bent position, she should have a pillow under her ankle to force the knee into a straight position; it’s one of the most important aspects of post-replacement therapy, to ensure range of motion.  But it’s uncomfortable, and people try to skate on it, then wonder why they spent all this money on surgery and can’t fully extend their leg.  

When Nick presents Grace’s walker to her, inviting her to go for a walk (before he attempts to summon his chef to make her an omelette), he holds it backwards; had she taken his up on his offer and gotten up, she'd have had to turn it around to use it.  That was distracting.

There being more room in Coyote's girlfriend's backseat than in his tiny home was funny, but wasn't it established that they were jumping the gun on a sexual relationship by having sex after the non-sexy chili?  I think it was a matter of weeks, so not really an issue, but I'd been enjoying seeing two addicts adhere to the recommendation not to commit to a romantic relationship during the first year of recovery instead of just shrugging that off because, but, feelings, man.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Roccos Brother said:

She has talked about her struggle with stairs and having had knee, hip, and back surgery.

Here is one link. Hey, a little eye surgery, some replacement parts, she still does Pilates at 77, she's doing pretty well. My mom is 93, not limber like Jane but no operations except for cancer, walks much slower and needs help but still loves to go.  Her senior building is full of people she feels are waiting to die, she wants to live until that moment.  So much is attitude if illness doesn't sideline you.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/21/jane-fonda-youth-plastic-surgery-sex-cannes

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

When Nick presents Grace’s walker to her, inviting her to go for a walk (before he attempts to summon his chef to make her an omelette), he holds it backwards; had she taken his up on his offer and gotten up, she'd have had to turn it around to use it.  That was distracting.

I took that as showing yet one more way Nick is pretty much clueless.  He has people to do everything for him, so he doesn't actually know how to do anything himself.  However, the walker bit was unneeded as they pretty much made that point with the eggs.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Jacob wanting “couple time” when Frankie is enjoying the initial days of her first grandchild and letting the sleep-deprived first-time parents get some rest is ridiculous.  If this was still going on months later, by all means, raise a fuss.  But in the immediate aftermath?  Get stuffed, even if she hadn’t tried moving her entire life for his retiring near family ass, and because she had?  Piss off.

Yeah, this disappointed me, too. Jacob was usually so much more level headed tan that. He has family. He knows how big a deal a brand new grandkid is, especially the difficulty of the first one for first-time parents. 

• Love 4

Yeah, this disappointed me, too. Jacob was usually so much more level headed tan that. He has family. He knows how big a deal a brand new grandkid is, especially the difficulty of the first one for first-time parents. 

From the episode it seemed as if Frankie had missed a number of visits to see him, so his coming to see her was important.  The new grandkid is a big deal, but it's also not going anywhere, so it wasn't as though Frankie really had to choose between them, so much as she did what she wanted to do, regardless of Jacob. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I took that as showing yet one more way Nick is pretty much clueless.  He has people to do everything for him, so he doesn't actually know how to do anything himself.  However, the walker bit was unneeded as they pretty much made that point with the eggs.

I agree, that was overkill. And the walker should have been brought by the PT therapist or nurse that never came. ; )

I think the visit overall was symptomatic of the root problem with their relationship - it simply wasn't working long distance. He wants someone there 24/7 to watch Longmire with and eat meals with and do all the day to day stuff with. The visits have been sporadic and then don't work out for one reason or another. It's sad, maybe, but it just wasn't meant to be. It always rubbed  me the wrong way that Jake essentially gave Frankie and ultimatum last season to either move to Santa Fe or break up with him. 

• Love 4

I also didn’t like that the pressure was put on her whether they stay together or not.  He was the one who decided he suddenly wanted to move and asked her to leave her friends and family behind for a place she has never been and where she knows no one.  I know he has the right to retire and live wherever he wants but by moving without even discussing it with her was selfish.

• Love 7

I know it's just a TV show, but it bothers me that they continue to show Grace mixing her many, many pain pills with vodka.  That's just plain dangerous.  We lose people every day, with the current opioid crisis, who make that same terrible mistake.  I see no humor in that.

Jacob gave up too easily.

But I still like the show. :-)

• Love 2
6 hours ago, amaranta said:

I know it's just a TV show, but it bothers me that they continue to show Grace mixing her many, many pain pills with vodka.  That's just plain dangerous.  We lose people every day, with the current opioid crisis, who make that same terrible mistake.  I see no humor in that.

Jacob gave up too easily.

But I still like the show. :-)

Yes, they joke about it too much, they all know she has issues, but the mixing of pills with alcohol especially as her tolerance gets larger is very dangerous. I've seen posts about it on other sites but just being a comedy and on Netflix, there isn't as much. Her daughter also abuses both to some degree. That part, seeing in real life the ramifications of it, I will never think is funny but the writers after all these seasons, don't seem to care to address it, maybe feeling she got to this age, who cares.

If they want to keep her drinking fine, but don't have her making a cocktail and then as in some shows, driving.

• Love 5

Jacob & Frankie breaking up broke my heart a little.  

Those eggs were gross.  I’ve once eaten underdone scrambled eggs at a buffet; not good!

Robert’s & Sol’s assistant’s visit was fun, and though she’s a bit dotty, she made a good point.

• Love 2
On 1/28/2018 at 12:34 PM, iMonrey said:

I think the visit overall was symptomatic of the root problem with their relationship - it simply wasn't working long distance. He wants someone there 24/7 to watch Longmire with and eat meals with and do all the day to day stuff with. The visits have been sporadic and then don't work out for one reason or another. It's sad, maybe, but it just wasn't meant to be. It always rubbed  me the wrong way that Jake essentially gave Frankie and ultimatum last season to either move to Santa Fe or break up with him. 

I always thought the thing with Jake was that he was a nice guy, but he has a fundamental sense of entitlement about everything. He knew what he wanted or what he thought and just expected people to deal with it or not. Just as he wouldn't reconsider his retirement plans when he got a new girlfriend but instead to invite his girlfriend to go to Santa Fe (and then even tell off her friend for interfering as if he's not being just as self-centered), he was not going to settle for a girlfriend who wasn't there all the time. Nor was he going to come for a visit that revolved around somebody's baby and not the stuff he was looking forward to doing with Frankie. And if Grace and Frankie were having a business meeting and he had ideas he'd just sit down at the table.

• Love 5

I just watched this episode, and the thing that struck me about Grace was how well groomed she was a few days (?) post surgery. She didn’t even have her shower seat assembled yet but she was all dressed nicely with her hair done and all. Everyone’s experience is different, but I was kind of a wreck the first week, since hobbling to the bathroom was a chore itself. I did think the scar looked realistic though.

• Love 1