Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat

On 1/27/2018 at 3:51 PM, Batgirl said:
On 1/27/2018 at 6:54 AM, bethy said:

I actually have this same one! Weird.

http://www.chefelf.com/starwars/ep5se_1.php

I echo the THANK YOU!  And for the record, the "don't taste good" line is better.  So glad I'm not losing all my marbles.  Yet.

18 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

You are from the third parallel universe with me. There's our current Berenstain universe, the Berenstein one, and the ultra rare Bernstein. My entire family remembers it this way. 

The persistence of Mandela memory.  That's what it is. 

2 hours ago, Pippin said:

I echo the THANK YOU!  And for the record, the "don't taste good" line is better.  So glad I'm not losing all my marbles.  Yet.

The persistence of Mandela memory.  That's what it is. 

Happy to help. :-)

I remember Berenstein Bears. That’s actually the context in which I first read about the Mandela Effect. 

Heh, it's funny how so many of us are personally familiar with the Berenstein/Berenstain Bears thing.  I had a reason to research the Mandela Effect a couple of years ago, and most of the examples I could look at objectively and think 'oh yeah I can see why they would think that....' but it was no big deal.  I got to the Berenstain Bears thing though and was like "WHAT?!  That can't be right!"  Ha ha ha.

By the way, did anyone else catch that the curiosity shop owner was played by the same guy who's played 'Chuck' in the past?  He's helped Mulder and Scully on a few cases.  I remember him best from Hollywood A.D.  He researched the Lazarus Bowl for them.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

By the way, did anyone else catch that the curiosity shop owner was played by the same guy who's played 'Chuck' in the past? 

Are there those who didn't?  :-)  Admittedly, he looked different enough (damn, we get old during this time frame) that I wasn't sure at first it was him, but, yes, that was Chuck, from several previous episodes (and not just Darin Morgan episodes).

On 1/26/2018 at 5:39 AM, Taryn74 said:

*cackle*  I thought about that, too.  Jello 1-2-3 was discontinued in 1996, so even being very generous that box of Goop-O A-B-C would have been 21 years old.  Leprechaun taint probably ain't got nothin' on that.

Not to mention that Goop-O A-B-C is apparently highly carcinogenic. I'm equal parts horrified and amused by the idea that Scully had cancer not because of an alien neck chip but because of all the cherry jello she ate as a kid.

• Love 4
On 1/27/2018 at 3:51 PM, Batgirl said:

Thanks. I remembered the tasting good line, too. It isn’t a big deal but I like it better. 

So in the original release of tombstone there is a scene with Holliday and Kate elder that is cut out of subsequent versions of the film. Kurt Russell had access to some of her papers in exchange for her executor ( whoever managed access to her estate) having the right to approve scenes.

The laser disk confused the hell out of me. 

Oh my god, that was hysterical!! Mulder throwing a tantrum after getting the book, Scully driving, I'm dying! .. And I'm sorry if someone gave me another chance to eat Jello 123 (or jello pudding pops), I'd tear them up and definitely not share.

And please tell me I'm not the only one who thought Reggie looked like Skinner.

11 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

And please tell me I'm not the only one who thought Reggie looked like Skinner.

Ha!  No, you're not.  I think I commented on this upthread but I realized when watching this episode that I thought the glimpse of Reggie we apparently got in the S11 promos WAS Skinner and I was wondering why he looked so different than before, when this isn't the first time we've seen him bearded.

I thought the whole it couldn't be a parallel universe theory was a dig on Fringe.  That was a storyline in its first season.  I've heard speculated that Fringe is a more modern update of the X-Files.  There are some similarities but Fringe is NOT a modern update of the X-Files.  X-Files is X-Files because of the partnership and friendship of Mulder and Scully.

• Love 1
On 29/1/2018 at 6:33 AM, Taryn74 said:

By the way, did anyone else catch that the curiosity shop owner was played by the same guy who's played 'Chuck' in the past?  He's helped Mulder and Scully on a few cases.  I remember him best from Hollywood A.D.  He researched the Lazarus Bowl for them.

I got to page three and couldn't believe that nobody had pointed that out! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

The other universe with Fringe was ongoing for a while, and was really well done. 

Yeah it was.  It was a shock in the season one finale but if you look throughout the season you can find clues. 

What a painful piece of shit.   It became difficult, almost impossible, to watch at about 22 minutes in.  It was like Weremonster Part 2, and I hated Weremonster Part 1.

The underlying concept -- flaws in the collective memory -- was classic X-Files fare, but the execution was pure garbage.   Couldn't stand the sleazy Reggie character or the defilement of the original series scenes.

When Scully said, "I want to remember it as it was," my heart nearly broke, because I wish I had never seen any part of the X-Files revivals.   My memories of the original show have been forever altered by these midwinter crapfests.   It also made me sad because I know Scully was referring to something much bigger than the X-Files.   She was talking about life before Trump.

For anyone truly interested in the phenomenon described in this episode as the "Mandela effect," I invite you to google "the thunderbird photo" (which would have been a great case for the X-Files).   In a nutshell, numerous people over the years have shared a memory of once having seen a photo in an old magazine of a group of men standing around the dead body of a giant bird resembling a pterodactyl.   Some have further recalled that the cryptozoologist Ivan Sanderson is said to have displayed a xeroxed copy of the photo -- which has come to be known as "the thunderbird photo" -- on a television talk show as well, although no one can seem to remember which show.   The thing is, despite years of searching, to date no one has been able to produce said photo (in recent years, with the advent of photoshop, many faked attempts have been put forth).   Mark Chorvinsky, late editor of the now defunct Strange magazine wrote a multi-part series on his own quest to find the thunderbird photo.    The current consensus seems to be that the image as described is so evocative (especially to those of Fortean persuasion) that many minds instantly manufacture a false memory of having seen it.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2
On 1/26/2018 at 6:53 AM, teddysmom said:

And I loved how they inserted Reggie into all the classic epis, Toombs, Home, Small Potatoes (my fave) . 

I particularly liked that Reggie was the same age in all of the clips, even though Mulder and Scully were heartbreakingly young. 

The young Mulder with grown Mulder's head....that'll keep me sleeping with the lights on for a while. 

I was watching the episode as a commentary on what truth is these days, when lies get more air time than the truth, and there's no consequence for telling lies. 

I laughed out loud at the "hundreds of millions who attended the Inauguration." 

• Love 3
On 1/24/2018 at 7:17 PM, AmeliaBedelia said:

I was cracking up throughout. It was great to see Reggie pop up in classic X-Files moments. The bear book was obviously referencing the Berenstain Bears (maybe it's Berenstein in that parallel universe). I can't believe they made jokes about wire tapping and waterboarding and drone strikes. The only part that lost my interest was the scene with Dr. They. That went on too long and felt preachy. Definitely going to watch this one again. 

The scene with Dr. They was the only part that connected the dots. Everything else was fan wanking. I kept wondering what the point was until that scene. 

While I enjoyed it as an old school X-Files fan, it would have been better if they had left it more in doubt at the end as to whether powerful people were literally trying to erase parts of the past. The figurative warning was fine. It just didn’t mean as much when we found out Reggie was nuts.