Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Lighthouse of The Rising Sun

A solar storm knocks out power in Los Angeles, and Team Scorpion must help a teen pilot and his girlfriend who are lost over the Pacific without navigation or radio contact. Also, during the crisis, Walter must look after a group of Ralph’s classmates, and Cabe tries to tell Allie finally that he loves her.

I enjoyed the episode in part because they were able to use the lighthouse without running into obstacles with it but then the plane was the focus. Also there has been a surprise so far in how Walter's dream is being handed. I expected a triangle with Paige, Walter and Flo. So far that has not happened, which I find more interesting. I'm hoping they don't mess it up by twisting the story line back in that direction.

2 hours ago, madfortv said:

a surprise so far in how Walter's dream is being handed. I expected a triangle with Paige, Walter and Flo. So far that has not happened, which I find more interesting. I'm hoping they don't mess it up by twisting the story line back in that direction.

Now I'm wondering why they went there at all. Maybe they figured that introducing a female version of Walter required "hanging a lantern on it" to signal that the show was NOT going with a Walter-and-Florence thing. Or maybe McPhee is leaving the show and they will go with Flowalter.

Hopefully that's the last of the Whiz Kidz for the rest of my life.

The Whiz kids didn't do it for me, but I do want more of Ralph's crush on Patty. I think his geek love is adorable. I want to see him go to team Scorpion for love advice. Sly has been married, Toby can tell him all the psychological/psychological markers, and Cabe can tell him the way he was it was his day/the old fashioned way. 

This episode, it was so cute seeing him get the "I carried a watermelon" moment.  

Edited by Sarah 103

About the physics of the episode: Does anyone know if it is even possible that they could have jumped from such a height ("they're so tiny!") and not broken every bone in their bodies with just that net to catch them? I mean, why not have the plane get lower? Or why not have the plane barely skim the surface of the water and have them jump with the life raft they supposedly had? And don't those small planes require parachutes?

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

About the physics of the episode: Does anyone know if it is even possible that they could have jumped from such a height ("they're so tiny!") and not broken every bone in their bodies with just that net to catch them? I mean, why not have the plane get lower? Or why not have the plane barely skim the surface of the water and have them jump with the life raft they supposedly had? And don't those small planes require parachutes?

I can't answer to the physics of the episode, but I didn't think the plane was that high......

When it took a while to even SEE them, I thought that was odd. They weren't falling from space.

From the shots of them sighting the lighthouse it didn't look like they were that far above the ocean.

Agree about the parachutes, but when did Scorpion (the show) ever take the logical/easy way out? ;) 

I suppose there wouldn't be a show if they did...

I liked this episode.

I did not expect Patty to be 16. She does not look 16.

I am also very surprised they haven't turned Florence into a love triangle. Tina Majorino is way too good for this show, though.

I think it took a while to see them because it was so dark out, let's just go with that.

Also, with the parachute issue - I googled it and came up with this - https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/2482/why-dont-pilots-parachute-from-small-planes-that-are-in-distress/2497

It's too difficult to put on a parachute in a small plane.

Edited by bros402
7 hours ago, bros402 said:

I did not expect Patty to be 16. She does not look 16.

I didn't either.  I thought she was 14, maybe 15.   Ralph with his crush is cute though.

I liked this one as well and am glad the dream issue is over.  I like Florence but she is too much like Walter to have them together IMO.  Sly loved Megan and they weren't a lot alike. 

I'm sort of neutral on Walter/Paige, they were fine for me as friends and are fine together.   The show doesn't need to pair everyone off (I do like Happy/Toby).

On 1/24/2018 at 9:08 AM, illini1959 said:

When it took a while to even SEE them, I thought that was odd. They weren't falling from space.

I thought the same thing!  I'm glad at the least the fate of the world wasn't hanging on Scorpion's shoulders this time.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, raven said:

I didn't either.  I thought she was 14, maybe 15.   Ralph with his crush is cute though.

I liked this one as well and am glad the dream issue is over.  I like Florence but she is too much like Walter to have them together IMO.  Sly loved Megan and they weren't a lot alike. 

I'm sort of neutral on Walter/Paige, they were fine for me as friends and are fine together.   The show doesn't need to pair everyone off (I do like Happy/Toby).

I thought the same thing!  I'm glad at the least the fate of the world wasn't hanging on Scorpion's shoulders this time.

I was thinking Patty was 13, 14 at the oldest.

Since this show wants everyone to get together, I am guessing Florence and Sylvester will be together by the end of the season.

She could even develop some kind of super antibacterial soap for Sylvester to use.

Walter and Paige are fine together when they don't talk about it. They should just have it be there, maybe touch on it a few times a season.

Also, uhhh, how was everything in LA restored in like 12 hours after, effectively, a weak EMP hit it?

I can understand the vital locations getting power back - and maybe Scorpion getting prioritized for fuel for a generator when they are doing work, but uhhhhhhhhh unless Scorpion severely overestimated the strength of the solar flare, something is weird in that universe.

Living in the world of Scorpion might be pretty horrifying, at least if you are on the West Coast.

Edited by bros402
  • Love 1
On 1/28/2018 at 11:47 PM, bros402 said:

Also, uhhh, how was everything in LA restored in like 12 hours after, effectively, a weak EMP hit it?

I can understand the vital locations getting power back - and maybe Scorpion getting prioritized for fuel for a generator when they are doing work, but uhhhhhhhhh unless Scorpion severely overestimated the strength of the solar flare, something is weird in that universe.

I wondered about that also, weren't they talking early on about how long it would take to get back to normal, that all electronics were fried now?

On 1/29/2018 at 1:47 AM, bros402 said:

Given Sylvester had a go bag for at least 3 possible disasters it wouldn't shock me that they already had plenty of fuel for the generator. 

• Love 2
On 1/28/2018 at 6:52 AM, raven said:

I didn't either.  I thought she was 14, maybe 15.  

I might be remembering wrong but I think they established last season she was 15, which is why she's 16 now (not that shows don't fudge that sort of thing plenty, but this one doesn't appear to have done so). I do think it'd have been better if she'd have been 15 now to Ralph's 13. Something about the three year difference in this context does make it squicky. I mean, not that she reciprocates currently, but if she did, at the moment for me it's squicky.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I mean, not that she reciprocates currently, but if she did, at the moment for me it's squicky.

Oh, I think it's squicky too.  She def is not reciprocating any interest so I think think they will go with she becomes aware of the crush and lets him down easy.

11 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Given Sylvester had a go bag for at least 3 possible disasters it wouldn't shock me that they already had plenty of fuel for the generator. 

Well yeah, but they have a lot of equipment.

12 hours ago, Tony Dickson said:

Remember the major earthquake last season? ;)

true

Insurance companies in the Scorpion universe must hate insuring anyone in a 100 mile radius of Scorpion's HQ

• Love 1
22 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I might be remembering wrong but I think they established last season she was 15, which is why she's 16 now (not that shows don't fudge that sort of thing plenty, but this one doesn't appear to have done so). I do think it'd have been better if she'd have been 15 now to Ralph's 13. Something about the three year difference in this context does make it squicky. I mean, not that she reciprocates currently, but if she did, at the moment for me it's squicky.

Now that you mention it, that gives me a hint of where they're going with this sub-plot. Patti will probably get a ride to the prom in a pink Corvette with her 16-year old date, and Ralph will be heartbroken. I just can't figure out what's the point to it, but this is Scorpion, so no point is required.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Now that you mention it, that gives me a hint of where they're going with this sub-plot. Patti will probably get a ride to the prom in a pink Corvette with her 16-year old date, and Ralph will be heartbroken. I just can't figure out what's the point to it, but this is Scorpion, so no point is required.

If that's the subplot, than the episode takes place on a Saturday. It's the day of the dance. Ralph is upset because Patti's going with someone else, and the team is trying to take his mind off it with varying degrees of success. An urgent case comes in and the team is off to save the whatever/stop the horrible thing from happening. Ralph has a key role in the success of the mission. At the end of the night (and this job ends very late at night). Cabe says something about, "Bet you don't feel too bad about missing that dance now." Ralph agrees. 

• Love 1
On 1/28/2018 at 11:47 PM, bros402 said:

Living in the world of Scorpion might be pretty horrifying, at least if you are on the West Coast.

Between Scorpion and NCIS:LA, looks like a bad city to live in!