Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: The Home

• Start Topic

Not my favorite season, but entertaining overall. It's good that Frankie's no longer dead!

I wouldn't mind if next season takes Grace and Frankie on a different adventure outside their beach house, but don't want to see them struggling and brought low financially or emotionally.

The move to the assisted living facility was well handled and funny, but their inability to get the house fixed was kind of annoying. The first contractor ripped Grace off, so get another one. File a lawsuit, get a temporary rental, make some forward progress. Grace wouldn't even let Nick give her a reference for a reliable construction company. The kids being able to sell the house made no sense, either. Wasn't it deeded outright to the ladies as part of their divorce settlements? Eh. I had to stop fixating on plot and character holes.

• Love 5

I love this show.  But... this season made me feel sad too many times. Maybe the ladies lives are a little too close to my own in 10 yrs and I can see the writing on the wall with some of the things going on in my own life?  The way they handled the situations Grace and Frankie went through was very good I thought, great writing.

It also featured the men too much, in my opinion.  I could do without all the talking that goes along with their storylines-- just too much talking.  I also didn't care for the fact that they couldn't be together-- for the short amount of time they've been together--without needing a third guy in there for excitement!  If they're supposed to be living a 'normal' lifestyle, then why do they need the 3rd?  The director friend of Roberts implied that it was normal for gay men to have one.  Why?  Is that normal and I just don't know it?  Heterosexual couples don't need a 3rd person after a couple of yrs, why should a gay couple?  I thought that was lame.  Although the story got kind of funny after the guy rubbed both their ears and gave the idea more life from there on!  So what do I know?  I love these ladies and hope everyone stays healthy for another season (and for their own good,too!  I'm not completely selfish ;) ) 

• Love 6

I thought there was too much of the men too. It was annoying to me that they don’t seem to be having any of the aging-related issues the women are. They get to have their perfect house and they’re immune to aging knees and senior moments? In real life wouldn’t the men deteriorate sooner than the women? Also annoying that the kids really underestimate what their moms are capable of.  Although, Grace and Frankie do seem to have more fun! 

everything about the escape from the home was fabulous!  The no-no room, the turning radius, getting stuck in the sand and just walking away. I also loved when Grace’s feet felt shame.

• Love 12
(edited)
18 hours ago, stcroix said:

It also featured the men too much, in my opinion. 

Did it? I fast-forwarded through every scene of them alone together.  I did notice a naked ass at one point but didn't care enough to slow down and watch.  ;-)

Edited by 2727
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, 2727 said:

Not my favorite season, but entertaining overall. It's good that Frankie's no longer dead!

I wouldn't mind if next season takes Grace and Frankie on a different adventure outside their beach house, but don't want to see them struggling and brought low financially or emotionally.

The move to the assisted living facility was well handled and funny, but their inability to get the house fixed was kind of annoying. The first contractor ripped Grace off, so get another one. File a lawsuit, get a temporary rental, make some forward progress. Grace wouldn't even let Nick give her a reference for a reliable construction company. The kids being able to sell the house made no sense, either. Wasn't it deeded outright to the ladies as part of their divorce settlements? Eh. I had to stop fixating on plot and character holes.

As implied at the party they planned, the kids got power of attorney which means they can make those kind of decisions for their parents. It often ends badly for the parent because the kids can micromanage their parents lives or just run off with the money and leave their parents penniless. There was one story I know of a pair of siblings living the high life and and leaving their father with not even $20 to go to a seniors event at his senior's centre.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, stcroix said:

I love this show.  But... this season made me feel sad too many times. Maybe the ladies lives are a little too close to my own in 10 yrs and I can see the writing on the wall with some of the things going on in my own life?  The way they handled the situations Grace and Frankie went through was very good I thought, great writing.

It also featured the men too much, in my opinion.  I could do without all the talking that goes along with their storylines-- just too much talking.  I also didn't care for the fact that they couldn't be together-- for the short amount of time they've been together--without needing a third guy in there for excitement!  If they're supposed to be living a 'normal' lifestyle, then why do they need the 3rd?  The director friend of Roberts implied that it was normal for gay men to have one.  Why?  Is that normal and I just don't know it?  Heterosexual couples don't need a 3rd person after a couple of yrs, why should a gay couple?  I thought that was lame.  Although the story got kind of funny after the guy rubbed both their ears and gave the idea more life from there on!  So what do I know?  I love these ladies and hope everyone stays healthy for another season (and for their own good,too!  I'm not completely selfish ;) ) 

There are plenty of straight people who swing or add a third when things start getting stale in their relationship. The therapist and the friend were saying though that Sol has little to no relationship experience outside of Robert and Frankie. Robert's been with other men before while Sol hasn't and Sol's never been a single gay man.  They suggested opening the relationship so Sol could see what it is like to gain some more prospective and experience. I found it funny that show never allows the idea of Sol being bisexual and attracted to both Robert and Frankie to be explore but they'd spend time explore open relationships and polyamory.

• Love 3

It was an interesting contrast that they had both Grace and Frankie fighting to be seen as independent competent women and then their children all sitting around just stewing in ageist talk as if they aren’t all recovering messes themselves. Mallory’s the only one who has any leg to stand on( she’s divorced and angry and everyone makes fun of her brood but she said herself that even while wrangling 4 kids she’s able to get to business meetings on time), Bud was just depending on Frankie mere episodes ago because he was scared to be failure as a father and Brianna’s petty decision making ruined her company and nearly ended her relationship multiple times and Coyote is basically squatting on Mallory’s land and is going to move with his girlfriend where she’ll likely be supporting the both of them and not to mention that their both newly recovered addicts setting off for a completely new city by themselves.

And the entire checklist was skewed towards Grace’s knee problems which could’ve been easily solved by one of those stair lift things. And between Sol, Robert and all of the kids not to mention Grace and Frankie, they could’ve put money together to fix the house and temporarily put G & F in a hotel that would cost a lot less than a extended living home or have them live with Sheree in her empty house.

I blame the kids for all the emotional badgering. Grace was injured and needed accessibility tools like a stair chairlift and and a home aide but Frankie was fine. They could've done that same badgering to get them to wear the medic alert bracelets for each other but an assisted living community was an expensive extreme especially when it hampered their hobbies.

Edited by Lilacly
  • Love 12

Yeah,  they brought up the life alert situation a dozen times and I was like,  "Why not just fix the fucking house and give them life alert,  Christ."  The only kid  k can even stand is Brianna at this point and that is solely because she gives zero fucks and was just going along with the others.  Also Sol and Robert didn't seem to get involved in any of this,  they were so focused on themselves this season,  goo fuck yourself gay dudes,  coming from a gay dude. 

• Love 12

Did it? I fast-forwarded through every scene of them alone together.  I did notice a naked ass at one point but didn't care enough to slow down and watch.  ;-)

Honestly, I quit watching Sol and Robert by episode four. I fast forwarded through all their scenes because they're dull, I don't care and I can't stand Sol. He's just too precious.

They'd better get that house back. I'm guessing Nick bought it for Grace.

That's what I figure. It's a little startling that I actually like someone that I really disliked so much last season. It's nice to see that someone has Grace's back - someone besides Frankie, anyway. God knows her kids don't.

Look, God knows Grace has her issues, particularly with the booze, and if her kids want to have an intervention on that, have at it, I say. But she had knee surgery and is having a difficult time getting around. That's to be expected. You don't permanently put her in a home for that. As mentioned before, get someone in the house to help her. And Frankie has always been loopy, and maybe I could understand they don't want her driving around with Faith on her own, but that's a big stretch to "you can't be left alone with Faith." (I bet that lasts as long as it's convenient for Bud). Grace and Frankie have been having their wacky hijinx for four years now, and while I understand that the sight of the house must have been alarming for the family, it's not like there were magazines, mail an newspapers stacking up, dirty dishes piling up in the sink, half eaten food sitting out, etc. - they weren't living in filthy, unhealthy conditions. They had a leaking ceiling that collapsed.

I don't know; the kids were super eager to put them in an assisted living community and that bugged me a lot. As Lilacly said, none of them are really in a position to be calling their mothers out on their ability to take care of themselves. I mean really, how much better are they doing at adulting? And they are in the prime of their lives...

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Maysie said:

Honestly, I quit watching Sol and Robert by episode four. I fast forwarded through all their scenes because they're dull, I don't care and I can't stand Sol. He's just too precious.

I fast forwarded through their scenes as well, I just don't care enough about them. Even when they border on something resembling an interesting storyline, they back off or address it superficially, which results in me caring even less. Sol works my nerves. Describing him as precious is perfect.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, Maysie said:

It's nice to see that someone has Grace's back - someone besides Frankie, anyway. God knows her kids don't.

Agreed but to be fair, she doesn't exactly dote on them, either. Her hands-off/nanny-hiring style of parenting has its consequences.

My brother-in-law "jokes" that he might not recognize his grandkids if he ran into them, and I think Grace is almost at that point. She did babysit once that we saw, but it was unsuccessful. (Actually, the fact that none of the grandkids are ever at family gatherings is weird.)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I fast forward through a lot of the Grace with Frankie scenes because Frankie is such an idiot that I almost can't stand to watch her. If its a scene of Grace with someone other than Frankie, I'll watch.  Grace, albeit an uptight alcoholic, is at least more palatable then Frankie.  Robert and Sol's scenes are what makes the show interesting for me.  I'm glad to see them get more air time this season.  

• Love 1

Knee injuries can occur at any age.  Doesn't mean one has to go in assisted living.  And Frankie has always been forgetful. Not something to be in assisted living for in her case either.  Also hated the ageist thing that the men have no trouble taking care of their selves, but the women can't.  

A lot of things irritated me this season.  I do think though, that Nick  bought the house back for  Grace and Frankie.

• Love 6

I agree with everyone here. Did the kids even consult the dads ahead of time? Robert did have a heart attack and Sol's as much of a ditz as Frankie. Honestly.

Everyone I know who has had a joint replacement has been better than ever for decades—after a reasonable healing period. Grace and Frankie were successfully running a business out of their home and Frankie has her own modest success as an artist. To shove them into a place where they can't do those things is cruel. Confiscating their perfectly reasonable appliances when neither of them ever got close to burning their house down is ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of Nick's over-eager, stalkery ways, but I hope he has bought the house and hired a contractor. He was 100% right that Grace didn't belong in that community.

• Love 9

I'm so glad to see this thread has been posted, and I'm thrilled to see that most everyone else had the same thoughts I did. 

What the kids did was horrible. I can understand being concerned, but this was over-the-top. Frankie is being Frankie -- she is no more scattered than she has ever been. Not only did they put her in a home and take away her art, but they're even keeping her away from her grandchild. Cruel!

And Grace just needs to get the other knee replaced. Shockingly, that doesn't mean she's ready to be put out to pasture. Alcohol treatment, sure. But taking away her business, selling her home, and putting her in assisted living? No. 

I, too, hope Nick bought the house. Grace's treatment of Nick bothered me. I'm sorry her self esteem is so low, but he has done nothing but treat her like a queen. He clearly loves her. I'm sorry she's blowing what could be a wonderful relationship. I hope next season she gets over that, gets her house back, kicks Brianna out of the business, and saves it herself.

• Love 7

I agree the kids threw the ladies in assisted living MUCH too fast but I don't think it was just Grace having knee surgery that they were considering.  I think they thought she was starting on dementia with the way she (and Frankie) let the house get to the point that the bathtub fell through the ceiling and also that Grace didn't shop around for contractors but chose the first one (and because of a line he threw her).  My mom is in this same shape and still living alone and I'm at the point that I don't know  WHAT to do with or about her!  As an only child I'm stressing out majorly over being fair to her and yet not letting her accidently burn her apartment building down! My mom was always a strong woman, now she falls for anyone on the phone who's trying to sell her something.  Any contractor could con her with the 'friendly' approach.  The Grace of 2 seasons ago wouldn't have been conned by the contractor-- she'd have taken his number and had him checked out just to be sure.  All this to say that I can kind of understand why the kids jumped to the conclusion they did.  The thing I don't understand is why they didn't have Grace at a neurologist getting tests run to find out exactly what was going on mentally (if anything at all).  There are medications to be tried before the life changing decision to put someone in assisted living....  Heck, even a UTI can make your mind screwy! 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, stcroix said:

I agree the kids threw the ladies in assisted living MUCH too fast but I don't think it was just Grace having knee surgery that they were considering.  I think they thought she was starting on dementia with the way she (and Frankie) let the house get to the point that the bathtub fell through the ceiling and also that Grace didn't shop around for contractors but chose the first one (and because of a line he threw her).  My mom is in this same shape and still living alone and I'm at the point that I don't know  WHAT to do with or about her!  As an only child I'm stressing out majorly over being fair to her and yet not letting her accidently burn her apartment building down! My mom was always a strong woman, now she falls for anyone on the phone who's trying to sell her something.  Any contractor could con her with the 'friendly' approach.  The Grace of 2 seasons ago wouldn't have been conned by the contractor-- she'd have taken his number and had him checked out just to be sure.  All this to say that I can kind of understand why the kids jumped to the conclusion they did.  The thing I don't understand is why they didn't have Grace at a neurologist getting tests run to find out exactly what was going on mentally (if anything at all).  There are medications to be tried before the life changing decision to put someone in assisted living....  Heck, even a UTI can make your mind screwy! 

She'd called about the tub before it had fallen through and not gotten a response. Grace fell for the con because he mentioned knowing Phil who had only recently passed and having been helped by him and who Grace felt guilty about because of how everything had gone down between them. Before that, she was still going to take other bids but between the guilt and wanting to do something in his honor with a guy he'd supposedly trusted enough to lend money to to start his business (which wasn't that out of the character from the guy we'd met), I wasn't surprised or questioning her mental state. And the con man wasn't the first man she'd seen, we'd seen her talk to the sloppy looking one that came back afterwards to assess the damage from the robbery.

Edited by Lilacly
  • Love 4

Good point @BosomBuddy.  The men don't even misplace their keys as the women run the gambit of aging behavior.   I don't like the actors who play the men.  They cannot do gay well at all! I don't think they were Fonda's first choice either. 

I think season 5 will open with Nick being the new owner of the beach house, too. 

Putting them in assisted living was a stupid idea and a plot device to milk humorous moments..  I didn't take it seriously.  

• Love 4

I agree...these woman are of sound mind...why would they need a home? I hate that people getting older means they have no rights.  No thanks! 

Also, an anove pister is right...Sol is just as screwy as Frankie is. 

The mens relationship is boring to see.  Marriage is hard and takes work...do people not know this? 

• Love 7

As I was watching this, I had 2 thoughts.  First, no one needs to be in a retirement home LESS than Grace.  That woman is of very sound mind and, yeah, she has a bum knee.  I've had a bum knee since I was in my 20s and had an unfortunate ice skating fall.  

Secondly, if Frankie needed to be in a home, it should have been when she was about 25.  Yes, she's ditzy, but her ditziness is stable.  She has always been this way and she isn't actually getting worse.  I can see Bud overreacting a bit because his infant daughter was involved (and, honestly, I would never have Frankie babysit my child, even if she were my mother), but the jump to "mom needs to be in a home" just didn't make sense for me with the other kids.

• Love 4

The mens relationship is boring to see.  Marriage is hard and takes work...do people not know this? 

I always thought Sol and Robert's relationship was doomed to failure given the way it began and continued for years.  It seemed to me that once the relationship was out in the open, and the excitement of having a secret affair evaporated, they'd realize they are two people will little in common and things would end.   

I agree...these woman are of sound mind...why would they need a home?

I'll say that I know elderly people who are of sound mind and are active who still go to these places, not necessarily because they need them now, but anticipate needing them in the future.   Usually what they do is start in the independent living area of the building (like what Grace and Frankie's friend has) where there are panic buttons, but little else and they slowly age into the assisted living area, and finally skilled nursing.  

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I'll say that I know elderly people who are of sound mind and are active who still go to these places, not necessarily because they need them now, but anticipate needing them in the future.   Usually what they do is start in the independent living area of the building (like what Grace and Frankie's friend has) where there are panic buttons, but little else and they slowly age into the assisted living area, and finally skilled nursing.  

This.  I know a number of people who willingly and happily moved into retirement communities and never regretted it.  (I've also heard that some of those places give freshman dorms a run for their money when it comes to partying....)

That being said, this particular community seems to be edging closer to "nursing home" than "retirement home."  I've been looking at a place near me for my father.  He's nearly 80 but still sharp as a tack.  His only issue is that he has a long-standing injury that makes him less mobile than he'd like to be--he can still walk and drive, but can't stand for too long or walk too far.  He also doesn't need a big house to take care on his own.  This place I've been looking at has several levels of care, which I think is common.  The level he would do would be the first, most independent level--which looks a lot like what Grace and Frankie have.  However, the difference are:

1 - He can have not only a stove but an entire kitchen in his cottage

2 - He can come and go whenever he pleases without checking out

3 - He can have his own car (and his own pets!)

4 - He can do whatever he wants in his cottage, as long as it is legal.

Grace and Frankie's place seems like a great fit for their friend, who is clearly dealing with some dementia, but not these two.  

I also wonder how the kids were willing to sell the house with Grace and Frankie being involved.  I would think that the owners of the house would have to sign off on the sale.

• Love 5

The whole thing is ridiculous. When my mother got lost driving, my sister asked the doctor to check her out with a view to removing her driver's license (which is what happened). She went on living in her apartment for at least another year after that - alone, and probably ten years older than these women. Six weeks from a start to finish is a ridiculous time frame for such a move.

Anyway, the most obvious thing to do if you're worried about them is find a carer you can trust who will keep an eye on things while letting them go on with their lives.

• Love 1

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who hated how this season ended. It's like they aged the characters 10 years in this season. The kids selling the house was horrible. I really hope Nick did indeed buy it. Also who are these kids to talk? Mallory doesn't have a paying job and 4 kids, Brianna (who isn't as vicious) is in a failing business, Bud can't even handle raising his child for a few days & then Cyote who doesn't have a job, is just getting sober again and doesn't even have his own place and is living in front of another persons house.  Grace & Frankies business is solid, they have each other & just because they got screwed over by a contractor doesn't mean they are mentally unfit. People fall for scams everyday. I know someone who was a general contractor who made the mistake of paying a paving guy the whole fee before the job was done and the guy up and left before finishing. He wasn't old OR senile. I didn't watch any of the crap with Sol & Robert because it's boring and they have 0 chemistry. I really hope that they get another season and that they sharpen up the writing because it's taken a severe turn for the worst. 

• Love 4

The kids selling the house also seemed absurd because Coyote lives in a TINY HOUSE. Mallory has four kids and is recently divorced! So, like, fix that house up and move into it! It's an owned home! Rent it out to weekenders! Put it on Air BnB! You wouldn't sell it in two minutes, though! 

I'm pretty bored of Sol and Robert also. I actually like Sol but they don't seem to actually like each other all that much and Robert's trust issues are just too constant for me to enjoy him without Sol. He's pretty self-absorbed and their personalities are only similar when it comes to how they overreact to perceived slights. Give me a break, Robert, Sol was married to Frankie for all those years, that doesn't just get erased because he loves you too.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Dancingjaneway said:

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who hated how this season ended. It's like they aged the characters 10 years in this season. The kids selling the house was horrible. I really hope Nick did indeed buy it. Also who are these kids to talk? Mallory doesn't have a paying job and 4 kids, Brianna (who isn't as vicious) is in a failing business, Bud can't even handle raising his child for a few days & then Cyote who doesn't have a job, is just getting sober again and doesn't even have his own place and is living in front of another persons house.  Grace & Frankies business is solid, they have each other & just because they got screwed over by a contractor doesn't mean they are mentally unfit. People fall for scams everyday. I know someone who was a general contractor who made the mistake of paying a paving guy the whole fee before the job was done and the guy up and left before finishing. He wasn't old OR senile. I didn't watch any of the crap with Sol & Robert because it's boring and they have 0 chemistry. I really hope that they get another season and that they sharpen up the writing because it's taken a severe turn for the worst. 

Plus, I have to say that the "contractor" was pretty smooth.  I expected that he was up to something, because this is TV, but I can see how Grace would have felt like she could have trusted him.  It wasn't at all like someone was posing as their grandkid and calling from Mexico or someone was calling from "Windows" and telling them that there was a virus on their computer that would break everything if they didn't do whatever (both of these, by the way, my mother fell for).  This guy was completely professional and, in his demeanor, never once gave Grace the reason to question him.

• Love 3

Geez - that was bad. Everybody behaved completely OOC. I can't help thinking that someone in the writing room decided that it would be a great idea to have Grace and Frankie in nursing home by the end of the season (assisted living my ass) and so they went with it character continuity or good writing be damned. On the way to get there they character-assassinated all the kids and lobotomized Grace and Frankie. 

And just because it needs repeating: this season ended with the ladies making a mad escape from a nursing home and the guys embarking on a threesome? WTF?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

This.  I know a number of people who willingly and happily moved into retirement communities and never regretted it.  (I've also heard that some of those places give freshman dorms a run for their money when it comes to partying....)

That being said, this particular community seems to be edging closer to "nursing home" than "retirement home."  I've been looking at a place near me for my father.  He's nearly 80 but still sharp as a tack.  His only issue is that he has a long-standing injury that makes him less mobile than he'd like to be--he can still walk and drive, but can't stand for too long or walk too far.  He also doesn't need a big house to take care on his own.  This place I've been looking at has several levels of care, which I think is common.  The level he would do would be the first, most independent level--which looks a lot like what Grace and Frankie have.  However, the difference are:

1 - He can have not only a stove but an entire kitchen in his cottage

2 - He can come and go whenever he pleases without checking out

3 - He can have his own car (and his own pets!)

4 - He can do whatever he wants in his cottage, as long as it is legal.

Grace and Frankie's place seems like a great fit for their friend, who is clearly dealing with some dementia, but not these two.  

I also wonder how the kids were willing to sell the house with Grace and Frankie being involved.  I would think that the owners of the house would have to sign off on the sale.

They went to court to get power of attorney which allows anyone to make legal/financial/medical decisions on behalf of someone else when sign off that they can't anymore

Edited by Lilacly

Yeeeeaaah. I agree with what folks are saying here - it really feels like the kids really jumped the gun with the assisted living stuff, and the level of "assistance" they are living with is way, way too high for them.

Frankie got lost while driving? I'll bet that's happened to her a million times over the course of her life because she's kind of a flake when it comes to stuff like that. Grace had to have her knee replaced? So have a lot of people. Now her other knee is bothering her? Well...yeah. She's been leaning on it more as her other knee was injured/recovering. Of course it hurts. Get that one replaced, too. Worry about her drinking. It was all too much too soon and didn't make much sense. 

The kids didn't seem to have much to do this season (Mallory almost never seems to have interesting stuff to do for any sustained period of time). I wish we had more Brianna mostly because I like to study her wardrobe.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Lilacly said:

They went to court to get power of attorney which allows anyone to make legal/financial/medical decisions on behalf of someone else when sign off that they can't anymore

I must have missed that part.  Yeesh, that makes me hate the kids even more.  

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I must have missed that part.  Yeesh, that makes me hate the kids even more.  

I must have missed it too - I really can't remember anything about that ever happening. And it makes no sense -  both Grace and Franke are perfectly able to make decisions for themselves and they both would fight tooth and nail to keep that bit of independence. I also don't see how Grace could have kept her business going if that had ever happened.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2

Yeah, I don't think the kids got a PoA. They just guilted each woman into moving to the facility "for the sake of" the other. I think they just let the kids handle the house sale for them. Grace's quote to Nick was that she "can't think about it" because she loved the house. 

• Love 8

Is the naked guy supposed to be a cliff hanger? lol  Not interested but I hope they say No to be different or they'll probably argue who did what more. With older men, the quibbling is irritating to me and not done in the funny way Grace and Frankie do it.

Yes, Nick's attention does seem unwavering but you know it will probably not continue in tv land. I hope he bought the house, not an attractive option for others with all that work to do, so quickly, but I thought that whole thing was really rushed and not as well written. I did like the cart ride though. Nice place to pick up if they can do another year.

I know if you are put in one of those places too soon, it does age you. My sister and a doctor I worked with, were in very nice ones, little apartments and extra care on another side if needed. But everyone did the same things, I can't explain it but it aged my sister and the doctor said if another friend died, he would of grief. Living in a regular apartment until needed, they both saw other people more of all ages, and did things outside of home. For some reason, no one likes to go to retirement communities to visit you, one woman said it was like you were asking them to visit you in a hospital. I thought at the time, maybe they felt someone would suddenly open a room for them and they'd be one step closer to the end of their life in their mind.

I do like that this show has older women and men and opens dialogue on a lot of subjects that were taboo before.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Plus, I have to say that the "contractor" was pretty smooth.  I expected that he was up to something, because this is TV, but I can see how Grace would have felt like she could have trusted him.  It wasn't at all like someone was posing as their grandkid and calling from Mexico or someone was calling from "Windows" and telling them that there was a virus on their computer that would break everything if they didn't do whatever (both of these, by the way, my mother fell for).  This guy was completely professional and, in his demeanor, never once gave Grace the reason to question him.

I know and he used Phil as a ploy. Many contractors know each other and that could have been true.  To use that as a reason to be senile? Please.  And Frankie is directionally challenged like me and my daughter and if I lost my cell phone, and had no card, I'd be upset too. I'm sure as other people have said here, this was not her first time being daffy. Her only fault was not checking her phone before taking the baby out, but banished to a home, they jumped the shark on this one.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kostgard said:

Frankie got lost while driving? I'll bet that's happened to her a million times over the course of her life because she's kind of a flake when it comes to stuff like that. 

I got lost last week because I just wasn't paying attention.   My phone?  On my nightstand because I forgot it.   I'm not even thirty.   I don't have any health issues.   Sometimes people just have an off day.  Bud was basically overreacting because she had his child with her,  which she only had because he clearly wasn't ready to be a parent and all the shit that comes with it. 

I'm also currently having knee problems,  again 28 here,  Grace will adapt.   She is hardly crippled. 

• Love 3

It was hard seeing that beautiful house so badly violated... but then there was naked Roy. HAWT. WOO WOO! I'm so here for it!

I really enjoyed this season and thought it was much better than the previous one. I laughed so much more, but also felt sad many times more... I normally don't binge a season this quickly. 

I'm fine with the women having more health-related issues, not due to schadenfreude, but because I find it more satisfying to see older women being able to persevere, breaking the stereotypes of being weak. Furthermore, being the main focus of the show, it makes sense that the gravity of their problems would overshadow those of Robert and Sol's.

Unpopular opinion - I liked the majority of Robert and Sol's storylines this season, and find their acting to be very good, Martin Sheen as a cultured theater gay in particular. Naked Roy was just the icing on top! If that happened in my kitchen, I would probably be needing a knee replacement after!

Edited by Roccos Brother
  • Love 1

You don't have to be proven unsound to get POA.  I have had POA for my father for years, he set it up so it would be there when he needed it to be.  I agree that the show's writers have done a poor job with the whole house being sold story line.

25 minutes ago, Wicked said:

You don't have to be proven unsound to get POA.  I have had POA for my father for years, he set it up so it would be there when he needed it to be.  I agree that the show's writers have done a poor job with the whole house being sold story line.

But your father set yours up.  I would think that, without the cooperation of the person in question, there would have to be some sort of proof that they need a POA.  I could see that working for Frankie (again, it would have worked in her 20s as well--she's ditzy, but there is not cognitive decline), but not Grace.  Grace runs her own successful business--no court would grant a POA without cause.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Wicked said:

I agree, the only thing that makes sense is if Grace and Frankie gave the kids POA, which I just don't see happening.  Sloppy writing, imo.

I agree, they made Grace and Frankie suddenly pods, without a brain. They didn't talk to each other, they took one thing the other person did for reason to move? It just seemed so off to me, almost like the writers wanted to go on vacation and hurriedly finished the scripts. I love them though and hope they will get redeemed next time. I wish they'd do it sooner, so neither will get hurt in real life!

I guess Sam Elliot was off the roster for returns, would have been nice but Nick will have to do. ; )

• Love 2
2 hours ago, debraran said:

I agree, they made Grace and Frankie suddenly pods, without a brain. They didn't talk to each other, they took one thing the other person did for reason to move? It just seemed so off to me, almost like the writers wanted to go on vacation and hurriedly finished the scripts. I love them though and hope they will get redeemed next time. I wish they'd do it sooner, so neither will get hurt in real life!

I guess Sam Elliot was off the roster for returns, would have been nice but Nick will have to do. ; )

Yes to this.  The first thing that struck me about Grace and Frankie once they were in the home is how hollow both of them were.  I get why the writers did this, but it was very disheartening to see (it also made my "buy" their break out which was, frankly, a little cartoonish).

Wouldn't the court have to evaluate both G & F on their soundness of mind before the kids could get a POA  and then sell the beach house out from under them?  Also, the ex-husbands wouldn't have gotten involved, even in an advisory capacity?  I thought that weirdo, Sol, still cared about Frankie somewhat.  But they just portray R & S as such self-absorbed bores. 

Yes, no court is going to just give an adult child a guardianship for their parent or anything without having some kind of evaluation done.  Short of the person in question voluntarily conceding that they need someone to look after their affairs (and even then, they will still want an expert to do an evaluation), no reputable court is going to just grant something like that based on the adult child's say so.  There are serious due process questions at issue.   

I have had POA for my father for years, he set it up so it would be there when he needed it to be.

I'd be surprised if the POA your father gave you didn't specify that you only got the power if he was incapacitated as verified by a physician.  That's how they are typically written in my experience.

While I don't like the storyline, I will say if I was the adult child in Grace and Frankie's situation, I would have been terrified by the fact my parent was living in a home that was not inhabitable, but rather than just admit to the issue, had attempted to cover it up.  The cover up is really the scary thing there, not Grace getting conned or Frankie getting lost with the baby.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2

So I just started working at an assisted living community in November so I was cracking up at this episode. Especially when the people who work at the community we're coming to check on Grace and Frankie they were pretty spot-on. In regards to people thinking Grace and Frankie were too young to be there, we have a number of residents who are independent and move in because their spouse needs assistance and I think that's what Grace and Frankie both thought they were doing. Moving in as an independent president so the other one could get assistance. In regards to the power of attorney, I would just assume that the kids talk to parents they need to have it just in case. And also, we have a number residents who have their kids sell their house warm them once they move in even though they still make all of their own financial decisions.

• Love 2

When Jane Fonda spoiled on a talk show that Grace and Frankie end up in a home, I almost didn't watch this season because I thought it would be too depressing. But honestly, I loved it. I binged a little too fast, so now I need to watch again, but overall I thought it was hilarious and poignant. The fact that they are ill-treated by their families just makes me root for them that much more.

Nick buying the house seems likely after the way the writers dispensed with Frankie's move to Phoenix. It seems like they want to shake things up but then hit the reset button as quickly as possible, a la The Simpsons. That's fine--I do want to see their triumphant return to the beach house, like the end of "The Coup" times eleven. However, rather than Nick saving them, I would prefer that they get their own house back like they got back Sheree's for her.

The most important thing is that we get a Season 5! This was not a good series finale. So everyone tweet @netflix a million times to give the "go ahead" for Season 5 ASAP!

Edited by Sesquipedalia
  • Love 4