Type keyword(s) to search

Complete Series DVDs: Which Do You Have?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Update of my list:

The 100 S1-4
Arrow S1-5
Buffy The Vampire Slayer - S1-7
Burn Notice S1-7
Dawson's Creek S1-6
DC's Legends of Tomorrow S1 & 2
Fear The Walking Dead S1 & 2
The Flash S1-3
Instant Star S1-4
iZombie S1-3
The Magicians S1 (Coming in the mail sometime this week)
Numb3rs S1-6
Supergirl S1 & 2

Edited by Laina
Edited to add: The Magicians

Looking over at my shelf here, let's see...

Bates Motel

Community

Frasier

Sleepy Hollow

Spaced

Strangers with Candy

The Twilight Zone

and I have a few animated series on DVD as well: "Beetlejuice" (one of my favorite cartoons from my childhood), "Daria", "Hey Arnold!" and "Rocko's Modern Life".

I'm also up to date with my "Criminal Minds" DVDs-will be adding season 13 when that comes out down the line. 

Action

Angel

Arrested Development seasons 1 - 3

Batman: The Animated Series

Buffy

Homicide: Life on the Streets

The Job

Justice League

Justice League Unlimited

King of the Hill seasons 1 - 5

Murder One

Profit

Scrubs seasons 1 - 5

Superman: The Animated Series

Supernatural seasons 1 - 5

The Wire

Veronica Mars all seasons, but not the movie

I have seasons 1 - 4 of Living Single (I hope they'll put out the final season.  It took forever to get season 2 out and then just a few months passed for each of the next two).  I also have the first four seasons of Charlie's Angels, and I think getting the complete series with all of those included again is cheaper than just getting season 5 (but not really cheap), so I haven't done it.  I have the first two seasons of New Girl, but they pissed me off toward the end of season 3 so I barely ever watched again, let alone getting DVDs.

• Love 1

^^^Aww, I loved Living Single.  I'm just going to list the ones I may actually re-watch in my fast-approaching retirement.

Sopranos (1 of 2 all-time favorite shows)

Breaking Bad (2 of 2 all-time favorite shows)

Six Feet Under (best series finale in the history of ever)

The Wire

Bob & Margaret (animated)

Gavin & Stacey (including Christmas special)

My So Called Life

• Love 2

My household was in a position where we were in an internet dead zone and something was always more important than cable TV for about six months. We managed, but I've been picking up dvds just in case it happens again. These are the complete sets I have so far.

Firefly

The Twilight Zone

Beetlejuice

M*A*S*H

The Tudors

Sherlock

ER

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Metalocalypse

Rocko's Modern Life

Roseanne

Daria

Galaxy High School

Trigun

Invader Zim

She-Ra

Inspector Gadget

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 3

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Angel

Felicity

Alias

Dark Angel

Roswell

The Bates Motel

Tru Calling

True Blood

Reba

Gilmore Girls

Pretty Little Liars

American Gothic (original)

Fastlane

Veronica Mars

Supernatural (up to season 12 so far)

ETA:

The 4400

Friday Night Lights

Penny Dreadful

The O.C. 

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 2

'Stargate SG-1' (and the two follow-up SG1 films, as well as the 'Director's cut'--or whatever it was called of 'Children of the gods')

'Stargate: Atlantis' (decided to get it due to a sale and coupon from Barnes & Noble)

'Eureka' (received season one as a Christmas gift, and filled in the rest with sales/coupons from B&N)

'Warehouse 13' (See justification above. :) )

'Fringe' (bought all seasons when they were in a special sale at Wal Mart a few years ago--each season was $9.99)

'Lost' (bought the first three seasons in pristine condition at a church rummage sale for $25, bought the rest when found on sale at B&N)

'Buffy the vampire slayer'

'Angel'

(Would like to have some seasons of 'Doctor Who' and the various 'Star Trek' series, but don't want them badly enough to spend that much money!)

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1

Technically, Law & Order: UK. It's not the complete series, but they only released Seasons 1&2.

It's the first and only TV series that I purchased the DVDs of. No matter how much I've loved other TV shows, I've never felt compelled to purchase them in their entirety. I just settle for buying my favorite episodes.

• Love 5
(edited)

Don't know if I said this one either: The Streets of San Francisco (1972-77 ABC police/detective series w/the late Karl Malden as Lt. Mike Stone; Michael Douglas as his longer-serving partner, Insp. Steve Keller; and the late Richard Hatch as Stone's fifth-and-final-season partner, Insp. Dan Robbins)

streets1.jpg

streets2.jpg

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 1
(edited)

Farscape + PKW
Fringe
Leverage
Psych

(I’m debating Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Parks & Rec for future purchases.) 

Purchased by me, or family members as gifts, mainly for my kiddos. You can sort of see them maturing through some of what’s listed which I found interesting as I typed the list. 

Bonanza
Everybody Loves Raymond
Get Smart
Gilligan’s Island
Green Acres
Gunsmoke
Happy Days
Hogan’s Heroes
I Dream of Jeannie
I Love Lucy
Little House on the Prairie
Macgyver (original version)
Mission: Impossible
Perry Mason
Petticoat Junction
Quantum Leap
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Cosby Show
The Waltons

I’m probably forgetting some of theirs. Sets were a fall back for gifts from family members for many years. We probably have complete sets of Barbie movies and Veggie Tales up until 3 or 4 years ago. 

I forgot, someone bought them the complete M*A*S*H set when they were very young (!) but that got put up until they were older. And a family member gave us the entire set (minus this season) of The Big Bang Theory and Home Improvement because they watched them and were done with them.  

Edited by ramble
Add-ons
  • Love 3

Since I last posted, I did get the final season of Living Single and the complete series of Charlie's Angels via a gift card (so I have the first four seasons twice, but it was still cheaper than just season 5).  I have the complete series of The Nanny and just picked up season 1 of She Spies.  I don't think season 2 made it to DVD, and that's fine with me as it sucked out all of the fun of the first season.  I am enjoying watching these episodes again, but I only wish the experience could be completed with the local ads that used to air repeatedly on our station during the show.  (A children's clothing store with a horrible jingle set to "Rock-a-bye Baby" that pointedly pronounced the word "infant" as "inFANt" instead of "infunt" in order to rhyme with the previous line, a small local college with a hot guy who said he was studying accounting there, and an insurance agent who my friend thought seemed "a little too happy" so I tried to convince her that the reason was that the plant behind the woman was marijuana, as if I would know anyway.)

• Love 2

I now have the complete series of the 1980s version of "Twilight Zone" :). And I've since filled out my collection of "Criminal Minds"-got all 15 seasons now. I also got the first and currently only available season of "The Drew Carey Show" a while back. Hopefully someday they can figure out the music issues and such or something and put the rest of the series out as well. I'm also waiting on season two of "Trial & Error"-I haven't seen that one available to buy anywhere, which is odd. 

And it's not complete series, but I'm up to date on my "Good Doctor" DVDs, and have the first season of "Evil". 

• Love 2
On 1/21/2018 at 7:32 AM, BW Manilowe said:

It counts if we have the whole series but bought the seasons individually & not in an all-inclusive set, right?

I have an Olivia Newton-John concert that aired on HBO in the early '80's, I think & was taped during her show at Weber State University in Utah, around the time when her song Physical was being banned from the radio in various conservative parts of the US for being "too suggestive". And I just ordered a DVD from a concert tour she did in Australia a few years ago with a male Australian singer/songwriter she knows (not Keith Urban), & the DVD version of her last Hits compilation (both of which were recorded live at the Sydney Opera House in Australia).

I have 2-3, maybe more, DVDs that came with Celine Dion CDs & at least 1 individual concert DVD by her.

I have, probably, over 2 dozen Barry Manilow DVDs--mostly live concerts taped for airing on cable TV or PBS, or as part of a 2-disc Live release with both an audio & video disc; the rest are "traditional" variety specials he did, back in the day, for airing on ABC & CBS; I also have "Making of" DVDs/Dualdiscs about the making of a few of his CDs; the DVD for the TV movie he starred in for CBS in 1985 based on his song Copacabana; a Live by Request show he did for A&E sometime in the '90's, I think, where he did songs from his Christmas albums at that point, plus his hits (he also did another episode of this series which didn't involve Christmas music; I also have a DVD of various performances of Barry's (I think TV & Concert) which was included with his then-career spanning boxed set, released in late 1992.

I also have: All 4 seasons of the sci-fi series Torchwood; all 7 seasons of The West Wing--purchased individually & as the Complete Series box set; the single seasons of Three Rivers & Moonlight, Alex O'Loughlin's 2 failed CBS series before the Hawaii Five-0 reboot became a hit; all 4 seasons of Starsky & Hutch; & the only season of Aaron Sorkin's followup to The West Wing, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. I also have Season 1 of Brothers & Sisters, which I started buying because Rob Lowe joined the cast & stayed through the end of Season 4, but I never bought S2, 3, & 4 yet. I also have S1-4 of The Americans, a show that airs on FX (& has aired 5 seasons, but hasn't released the S5 DVDs yet), which stars Keri Russell (Felicity) & Matthew Rhys (who had played the gay brother on Brothers & Sisters before this show) as Russian spies pretending to be Americans, married travel agents with 2 tween/teenage kids, who are embedded in the Washington DC area during the Reagan presidential era; & I have the 7 seasons of the current Hawaii Five-0 which have already come out on DVD (S8 is currently airing on CBS & won't be on DVD until this season finishes airing... anywhere from this spring until next fall, when S9 hopefully begins airing).

I also have the TV movie The Return of Ironside; the original version of Ironside, with Raymond Burr, was a favorite show of mine, back in the day (Blair Underwood starred in a very short-lived NBC reboot a few years ago, which I think wasn't successful because the only things they used from the original were the titular character's name & the premise that he was a police officer/detective in a major US city who suffered a permanently-paralyzing gunshot injury, resulting in paraplegia & permanent use of a wheelchair, & who went back to solving crimes upon his recovery, aided by a team of associates, most of whom were police officers before joining Ironside's team--the character names of Ironside's associates were among the elements not transferred between the original & the reboot).

I also have 3 movies:

The Other Side of the Mountain & The Other Side of the Mountain Part 2, late 1970's biographical films about 1950's amateur skier/ski champion Jill Kinmont (later Jill Kinmont Boothe), a hopeful for the 1956 US Winter Olympics Ski Team (those games were held in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy) who lost control during her run at the Snow Cup in Alta, Utah (apparently then 1 of the last big qualifiers for places on the US Winter Olympics Ski Team) & crashed, breaking her neck & rendering herself a wheelchair-dependent quadriplegic, permanently paralyzed from the neck down, just short of her 19th birthday. Despite the severity of the injury, modern medicine/physical rehabilitation at the time (& after) was able to keep her alive until 2012, when she died at 75.

Between her injury & death, she became a respected educator; originally at Indian Reservation schools in the area of her Bishop, California, hometown. They would hire her despite her disability, because they needed teachers badly enough they didn't have any rules about hiring/not hiring disabled people like the major, mostly public, school systems in larger cities in California (& probably the rest of the US) did at the time. She also married trucker John Boothe in 1976; they remained married until her death.

And I have Unconditional Love (2002). That's a kinda cute movie, starring (among others) Kathy Bates, Rupert Everett, Dan Aykroyd & Meredith Eaton, who's on the current MacGyver reboot as the Director of the Phoenix Foundation, a covert operation believed to be a think tank, which sends MacGyver & friends on secret missions to save the world. It also has a cameo appearance by Barry Manilow at the end.

Since the above was posted, I’ve completed my The Americans DVD set, with Seasons 5 & 6. I’ve also added The Final Season (Season 10) individual DVDs of the recently-ended reboot version of Hawaii Five-0. And I’ve pre-ordered The Complete Series version of the Hawaii Five-O DVDs I already have (which come out in early December), because the front cover of the Complete Series set states there are all-new special features in the Complete Series set.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To piece together a complete answer.
  • Love 4

I, Claudius

Buffy

Angel

Firefly

The Wire

True Blood

Wonderfalls

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Babylon 5

The Prisoner (original only - seen the remakes, they don't compare IMO)

Secret Agent Man

Miami Vice

lots more not on DVD, but on a dedicated hard drive including Game of Thrones, The Americans, The Shield...

• Love 1

I have Firefly, a couple of mini-series (do they count?), specifically I, Claudius, Pride & Prejudice, and Bleak House, and all 3 seasons of the Kiwi/Australian series 800 Words.  That's all I can think of off the top of my head, although I was working towards having all of Game of Thrones but haven't yet acquired more than the first 3 seasons, for financial reasons.

I do have a couple of other shows where I bought at least a season of it, though.  First series of Horatio Hornblower, series 3 of Blackadder (the one with the thick as a whale omelet Prince of Wales), seasons 4 &5 of MASH, seasons 1-3 of Hercules and season 1 of Xena all reside on my shelf.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

I'll probably forget a few, but I love extras so ...

•  
  • Sex and the City
  • Dexter
  • Alias (including the cube set!)
  • Big Little Lies 1&2
  • Big Love
  • Mad Men
  • Homeland (waiting on the final season)
  • The Office (British)
  • The Vicar of Dibley (a gift)
  • Downton Abbey
  • Mr. Selfridge (got the whole series for $10 at a thrift store)
  • Breaking Bad
  • Better Call Saul
  • Brideshead Revisited (the TV miniseries, have the movie too though.)

I own a ton of Movies as well, but I think that's all the "series" DVD'x.

Edited by Umbelina
added Brideshead
  • Love 3

I added The Complete Series DVD set of CBS’ recently-ended Hawaii Five-0 reboot to my collection. This despite the fact I already have the whole series on individual season DVDs, & because of the fact it includes an entire disc (the last disc) of extra feature material that isn’t on the individual 10 season DVD releases.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.
  • Love 2

I got the complete series of That '70s Show with a gift card around Thanksgiving 2021 (because I wasn't sure if it would ever return to TV, though it's now on Peacock, the only streaming service I get).  It's still sitting untouched on the coffee table because after I bought it for a nice price, I read all of the reviews about discs not working or not even being included, so I was afraid to look and eventually just forgot about it.  I also bought Living Single again on iTunes (with a birthday gift card) as a backup because I had to replace my season 5 DVDs after one broke due to crappy packaging that made it hard to take the disc out each time.  Of course it had to be season 5, the shortest, least popular and most overpriced season, though some episodes are still really good!

• Like 2

Funny this thread popping up, I was on Amazon last night looking for DVDs to complete a few collections and could not get over the prices!  Early seasons for most of the ones I checked were reasonably priced say $19-29 range.  But as you get closer to completing your collection the prices  jump into the 50s, 60s and in one case (Rules of Engagement) into the 70s!  With Rules that would mean spending over $70 bucks for a DVD that has about 15 episodes.  Not going to happen.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Mind Blown 4
2 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Funny this thread popping up, I was on Amazon last night looking for DVDs to complete a few collections and could not get over the prices!  Early seasons for most of the ones I checked were reasonably priced say $19-29 range.  But as you get closer to completing your collection the prices  jump into the 50s, 60s and in one case (Rules of Engagement) into the 70s!  With Rules that would mean spending over $70 bucks for a DVD that has about 15 episodes.  Not going to happen.

I think less DVDs are being manufactured now.  And for a show like Rules whatever is already here is probably all that is going to be made.   I checked on Ebay and they are just as expensive there.  My local library had the first six seasons but not the seventh.  It started streaming on Hulu and that is how I watched the final season. 

Speaking of Ebay that is where I found the Anne Heche show Men in Trees.  I watched it when it was on and I loved it.  I had seen it listed on Amazon at some ridiculous price and later on checked Ebay and I think I paid $50 for it.  It is both seasons and apparently it had been sent to TV industry types as a promotion or something.  

I also have the Lifetime show the Division.  Complete series, all four seasons was only $19.99.

• Like 4

I was hoping a boxed set with special features of Grace and Frankie would be released after the show ended, but not only has that not happened, the final season hasn't even been released yet.  If they never put that last one out, leaving me just with seasons one through six, I will be pissed.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Yeah, I think the last season of that show is super expensive because the only versions that are available are ones you have to buy from outside the U.S., and which won't play on most U.S. DVD players. Which is weird. I wonder why the last season isn't so readily available in the States. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

The Rockford Files

I really need to get this one. Watched it a few years ago for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like my fair share of modern prestige TV, but I think The Rockford Files blends comedy, action, and drama better than anything else on TV, even decades since it was off the air. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Zella said:

I really need to get this one. Watched it a few years ago for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like my fair share of modern prestige TV, but I think The Rockford Files blends comedy, action, and drama better than anything else on TV, even decades since it was off the air. 

I managed to snag the box set off Amazon for a relatively cheap twenty five dollars a year or so ago, but you can buy individual seasons as well. It really does hold up pretty well, even if you can tell it was made years ago.

• Like 1
On 6/26/2019 at 7:54 AM, Dr.OO7 said:

Technically, Law & Order: UK. It's not the complete series, but they only released Seasons 1&2.

I have that too.

Mr. Zoey has Sledge Hammer!

I have Sue Thomas: F.B. Eye.

We have some others, but they’re still packed from a move last year, so I can’t remember for sure.

• Like 1

Ah the late aughts to mid tens were the glory days of TVD collecting I believe we have:

Alias

Gilmore Girls

Monty Pythons Flying Circus 

Fawlty Towers

Downton Abbey

30 Rock

Newsradio

Flight of the Conchords

Extras

The Office (US 1-7 the Michael years)

Mr Kat has a bunch a anime on DVD don’t know them all but know that Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist are among the stash.

• Like 3