Type keyword(s) to search

Complete Series DVDs: Which Do You Have?

• Start Topic

Just was wondering: which series do you have all of on DVD (whether through all the individual seasonal releases, or the all-in-one [all of it in one release])? Here are a couple of mine: Wanted: Dead or Alive (1958-61 CBS B/W Western w/the great, late Steve McQueen), and Petrocelli (1974-76 NBC legal series w/Barry Newman, Susan Howard and the late Albert Salmi).

wanteddeadoralivecompleteseriesspecialedition.jpg

wantedback.jpg

petrocelli1.jpg

petrocelli2.jpg

Edited by bmasters9
  • Like 1

The 100, Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, iZombie, Supergirl, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, Fear the Walking Dead,  Instant Star, Numb3rs.

I used to have many more shows on DVD but sold them at a store in town.

It counts if we have the whole series but bought the seasons individually & not in an all-inclusive set, right?

I have an Olivia Newton-John concert that aired on HBO in the early '80's, I think & was taped during her show at Weber State University in Utah, around the time when her song Physical was being banned from the radio in various conservative parts of the US for being "too suggestive". And I just ordered a DVD from a concert tour she did in Australia a few years ago with a male Australian singer/songwriter she knows (not Keith Urban), & the DVD version of her last Hits compilation (both of which were recorded live at the Sydney Opera House in Australia).

I have 2-3, maybe more, DVDs that came with Celine Dion CDs & at least 1 individual concert DVD by her.

I have, probably, over 2 dozen Barry Manilow DVDs--mostly live concerts taped for airing on cable TV or PBS, or as part of a 2-disc Live release with both an audio & video disc; the rest are "traditional" variety specials he did, back in the day, for airing on ABC & CBS; I also have "Making of" DVDs/Dualdiscs about the making of a few of his CDs; the DVD for the TV movie he starred in for CBS in 1985 based on his song Copacabana; a Live by Request show he did for A&E sometime in the '90's, I think, where he did songs from his Christmas albums at that point, plus his hits (he also did another episode of this series which didn't involve Christmas music; I also have a DVD of various performances of Barry's (I think TV & Concert) which was included with his then-career spanning boxed set, released in late 1992.

I also have: All 4 seasons of the sci-fi series Torchwood; all 7 seasons of The West Wing--purchased individually & as the Complete Series box set; the single seasons of Three Rivers & Moonlight, Alex O'Loughlin's 2 failed CBS series before the Hawaii Five-0 reboot became a hit; all 4 seasons of Starsky & Hutch; & the only season of Aaron Sorkin's followup to The West Wing, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. I also have Season 1 of Brothers & Sisters, which I started buying because Rob Lowe joined the cast & stayed through the end of Season 4, but I never bought S2, 3, & 4 yet. I also have S1-4 of The Americans, a show that airs on FX (& has aired 5 seasons, but hasn't released the S5 DVDs yet), which stars Keri Russell (Felicity) & Matthew Rhys (who had played the gay brother on Brothers & Sisters before this show) as Russian spies pretending to be Americans, married travel agents with 2 tween/teenage kids, who are embedded in the Washington DC area during the Reagan presidential era; & I have the 7 seasons of the current Hawaii Five-0 which have already come out on DVD (S8 is currently airing on CBS & won't be on DVD until this season finishes airing... anywhere from this spring until next fall, when S9 hopefully begins airing).

I also have the TV movie The Return of Ironside; the original version of Ironside, with Raymond Burr, was a favorite show of mine, back in the day (Blair Underwood starred in a very short-lived NBC reboot a few years ago, which I think wasn't successful because the only things they used from the original were the titular character's name & the premise that he was a police officer/detective in a major US city who suffered a permanently-paralyzing gunshot injury, resulting in paraplegia & permanent use of a wheelchair, & who went back to solving crimes upon his recovery, aided by a team of associates, most of whom were police officers before joining Ironside's team--the character names of Ironside's associates were among the elements not transferred between the original & the reboot).

I also have 3 movies:

The Other Side of the Mountain & The Other Side of the Mountain Part 2, late 1970's biographical films about 1950's amateur skier/ski champion Jill Kinmont (later Jill Kinmont Boothe), a hopeful for the 1956 US Winter Olympics Ski Team (those games were held in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy) who lost control during her run at the Snow Cup in Alta, Utah (apparently then 1 of the last big qualifiers for places on the US Winter Olympics Ski Team) & crashed, breaking her neck & rendering herself a wheelchair-dependent quadriplegic, permanently paralyzed from the neck down, just short of her 19th birthday. Despite the severity of the injury, modern medicine/physical rehabilitation at the time (& after) was able to keep her alive until 2012, when she died at 75.

Between her injury & death, she became a respected educator; originally at Indian Reservation schools in the area of her Bishop, California, hometown. They would hire her despite her disability, because they needed teachers badly enough they didn't have any rules about hiring/not hiring disabled people like the major, mostly public, school systems in larger cities in California (& probably the rest of the US) did at the time. She also married trucker John Boothe in 1976; they remained married until her death.

And I have Unconditional Love (2002). That's a kinda cute movie, starring (among others) Kathy Bates, Rupert Everett, Dan Aykroyd & Meredith Eaton, who's on the current MacGyver reboot as the Director of the Phoenix Foundation, a covert operation believed to be a think tank, which sends MacGyver & friends on secret missions to save the world. It also has a cameo appearance by Barry Manilow at the end.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

It counts if we have the whole series but bought the seasons individually & not in an all-inclusive set, right?

Yes-- either way (all seasonal releases individually, or the all-in-one [my name for all of a series in one release]); have clarified up top. 

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 1

Lost, Man from UNCLE, Psych, Person of Interest, Life on Mars + Ashes to Ashes, Robin Hood, Slings & Arrows, Due South, Veronica Mars, Wonderfalls, The Borgias, Black Adder, Buffy, Angel, Dark Matter.  Also all of Blake's 7, but on VHS. And bits and pieces of many others.

The Office
Magnum P.I.
Hawaii Five-O (original recipe)
Freaks and Geeks
Bonanza (not the whole series, but all of the 8 seasons that have been released so far)
Gunsmoke (again, just what's been released, 12 seasons, I think? plus the movies)
Rawhide
Andy Barker, P.I.
Survivor
Outsourced
The Jesse Stone movies
M*A*S*H
Fawlty Towers
Miami Vice
Las Vegas
Mr. Ed
The Simple Life (Shut up. It was $5 at Target.)
I also have a couple of Japanese doramas (101st Marriage Proposal and No Money!) that look like bootlegs, though I didn't know that when I bought them.

I want Mad Men, but I'm holding off and wondering if DVD might be on its way out as a viable medium. I bought my first player in 2004 and it lasted 12 years and then crapped out, so I started using a combo VCR/DVD that I bought in '08 but that was always kind of clunky and terrible and so got almost no use before that but after only a few months of daily use, it died too. Finding a new player wasn't that easy; there were just the same two low-rated Sony players at Amazon, Target, Best Buy, and Walmart, and I ended up getting one of those, but it's not that great.

Edited by fishcakes

The West Wing
Friday Night Lights
Chuck
Moonlighting (I almost never watch anything from the last season.)
Boston Legal
Northern Exposure
Sports Night
Trophy Wife (even though it's just the one season)
The Starter Wife (I loved Judy Davis in this; Amazon had a special a while back - both seasons for $14.99)
Scrubs
Better Off Ted

(If Netflix ever stops streaming them, I will find a way to buy Parks & Rec and The Office. And if only there was a way to get Murphy Brown...)

I have a lot of TV shows on DVD/Blu-Ray, but most of those I have in their entirety are shows that ran anywhere from one to four seasons; with longer-running shows I tend to buy the discs for most, but not all, seasons.  There are some long-running shows I like the whole way through and thus have in their entirety on disc, though:

Cagney & Lacey (I have the limited edition with absolutely everything)
Roseanne
Seinfeld
Absolutely Fabulous

I'll probably wind up with Major Crimes in its entirety, too, even though I have very mixed emotions about season six.  We'll see how I feel by the time it comes out.

I'll buy the Golden Girls boxed set one of these years when I stumble across it on a great sale (like I did with Seinfeld and Roseanne), but with it in syndication I'm easily getting my fix without it.

• Love 1

Most of what we've bought have been things that at the time we couldn't watch on TV.   We were given box sets of Freaks and Geeks, the Sopranos, Upstairs Downstairs and My So-called Life.   They're nice to have but we wouldn't have bought them.

So off the top of my head:

The Avengers (Cathy Gale through Emma Peel seasons only)

Honey West

Sheena, Queen of the Jungle (Irish McCalla version)

Have Gun, Will Travel

Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Get Smart

Night Gallery

Thriller (Boris Karloff show)

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Fractured Flickers

One Step Beyond

There are (sadly) more but I don't feel like digging around in the massive wall(s) of VHS tapes and DVDs right now.:)

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 1

Oh god, so many.

Complete series:

• Due South
  • Tour of Duty
  • Highlander
  • Starsky & Hutch
  • Magnificent Seven
  • Battlestar Galactica (reboot)
  • Nero Wolfe (A&E series)
  • Rome
  • Sports Night
  • Babylon 5
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus
  • Leverage
  • Almost Human
  • Common Law
  • I Claudius
  • The A-Team

Then I have seasons I like of many other shows: X-Files, M*A*S*H, L&O: CI, Castle, Homicide: LOTS, Hawaii Five-0, plus many more.

Frankly, I have way too many dvds.

Edited by scriggle
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, amaranta said:

The West Wing
Friday Night Lights
Chuck
Moonlighting (I almost never watch anything from the last season.)
Boston Legal
Northern Exposure
Sports Night
Trophy Wife (even though it's just the one season)
The Starter Wife (I loved Judy Davis in this; Amazon had a special a while back - both seasons for $14.99)
Scrubs
Better Off Ted

(If Netflix ever stops streaming them, I will find a way to buy Parks & Rec and The Office. And if only there was a way to get Murphy Brown...)

S1 is available via Amazon for Murphy Brown.

https://www.amazon.com/Murphy-Brown-Season-1-Various/dp/B0006N2EZA

I'll have to pick it up some day. I miss that show.

53 minutes ago, scriggle said:

Oh god, so many.

Complete series:

•  
  • Starsky & Hutch
  •  

Then I have seasons I like of many other shows: X-Files, M*A*S*H, L&O: CI, Castle, Homicide: LOTS, Hawaii Five-0, plus many more.

Frankly, I have way too many dvds.

This is the only complete Series I have, though I do have several X-Files...and that's about it.

• Like 1

I have on DVD:

Smallville: seasons 1-6 (I stopped buying them as the show dropped in quality and no longer felt the need).

The 4400: 2,3,4 (season 1 was so short didn't seem worth buying, but I did see it).

Lost: 5,6 (I would love to own all of it)

Charmed: 1,5

I basically have a lot of random seasons of shows and stream a lot. I'd love to add the Star Treks and Stargate, but way to expensive and right now I can stream them.

Edited by blueray

These are the ones of mine that aren't / weren't intended to be mini-series like Gormenghast or Band of Brothers. Some might have only had one season, but more was intended.

• Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.
  • Afterlife
  • Bedlam
  • Black Mirror (all that’s available to own so far)
  • The Borgias
  • Century City [bootleg because no legit version exists]
  • Comic Strip Presents
  • Dark Matters: Twisted by True
  • Deutschland 83
  • Dollhouse
  • Father Ted
  • Frank's Place [bootleg because no legit version exists]
  • Hannibal
  • Haunted
  • Homicide: Life on the Street
  • Invader ZIM
  • The Lone Gunmen
  • Maison Close
  • Max Headroom
  • Millennium
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus
  • Neverwhere
  • Oz
  • The Palace
  • Penny Dreadful
  • Profit
  • Sam & Max: Freelance Police
  • Spaced
  • Takin’ Over the Asylum
  • The Tick (animated)
  • Vengeance Unlimited [bootleg because no legit version exists]
2 minutes ago, Violet Impulse said:

Frank's Place [bootleg because no legit version exists]

Me too!  I was unsure if I should list it but I saw it on EBay ages ago and had to have it.  It's crappy quality, but I don't care.  What a jewel of a show.  And I think the only comedy to ever win the Emmy for best show after being cancelled and only running for one season. Even after all these years, I think it still holds up. 

Do cartoons count?  I have a box set of Warner Brothers Looney Toons,  I found it in a sale bin for $9.99.  I couldn't believe it! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, amaranta said:

Do cartoons count?  I have a box set of Warner Brothers Looney Toons,  I found it in a sale bin for $9.99.  I couldn't believe it! 

Yes, they do-- especially if you got them at that good a price!

A whole lot.  Collecting them is a hobby of mine since around 2002 when I bought the first 3 seasons of The Simpsons on DVD.  Recently, I bought a region free DVD player so I could collect Malcolm in the Middle.  The first season was released in the U.S. but the other 6 never were.  They were released in the U.K. though.

I have sold or given away some that I don't want any more, like Breaking Bad, Family Guy, and Portlandia.  I generally don't buy any "Complete Series" set, because those always come in bizarre packaging.

Here is what I can remember without looking at my shelves:

• The Simpsons (Seasons 1-18 and 20, which is all that is available from the show's 28 completed seasons)
  • King of the Hill, all 13 seasons
  • Futurama, all seasons plus the 4 movies
  • The Office, all seasons
  • My Name is Earl, all seasons
  • 30 Rock, all seasons
  • Community, all seasons
  • Andy Richter Controls the Universe
  • Better Off Ted, both seasons
  • Arrested Development, all 4 seasons
  • Jericho, both seasons
  • 24, all the Jack Bauer seasons, but not that crappy spinoff.
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, all seasons
  • Mr Show, all seasons
  • Kids in the Hall, all seasons
  • Quantum Leap, all seasons
  • Monk, all 8 seasons*
  • Dilbert the animated series
  • The Critic
  • Mission Hill
  • Home Movies, all 4 seasons
  • Robot Chicken, 7 seasons plus some specials
  • Frisky Dingo, both seasons
  • Aquateen Hunger Force.  I forget how many of these I have but it's all the ones they released on DVD
  • Seinfeld, all 9 seasons
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm, the first 8 seasons.  Season 9 is pretty new so I'm not sure if it's on DVD yet.
  • Veep, all 6 seasons
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000, all 39 volumes plus all the Rhino DVDs.  This comprises all but 11 episodes.  Those last 11 episodes could not be released on DVD due to copyright issues, but I downloaded them from Digital Archive Project, made my own menus, and burned on to DVDs packed into slimline cases.  Case artwork and disc labels provided by Josh Way.
  • Malcolm in the Middle, seasons 1 and 2.  Just started collecting those with the purchase of that region free DVD player I mentioned.  It will take a while because I don't want to spend too much too fast, and it takes a long time for them to get here from the U.K.

I feel like there are probably a few more, but I can't picture them right now.

*The Monk DVDs follow an alternating color palette, white text on red background for odd seasons, then red text on white background for the even ones, and this alternates.  On the spine of each box, MONK is printed in vertical letters with a picture of him at the bottom.  Except in the German releases, where they do this for the first 7 seasons, then have the picture on TOP.  For a show about an obsessive compulsive detective, they decided to pull the ultimate OCD troll.

Edited by Thrifty

Have any of you heard of the DVD Profiler database, its an app/online database where you can record all the movie/tv show collections you have own?  I have had it for years and love it. 

• Daria
  • Dark Shadows
  • Strangers With Candy
  • Dinosaurs
  • Heroes
  • The Wire
  • The King of Queens
  • Big Love
  • The Sopranos
  • Happy Endings
  • Desperate Housewives
  • True Blood
  • The Angry Beavers
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer
  • The Flintstones
  • Futurama
  • I Love Lucy
  • The Legend of Korra
  • Pushing Daisies
  • Rome
  • Weeds
  • Black Adder
  • The Boondocks
  • Honorable Mention: The Simpsons,  I am very happy they are going to continue (for now) putting the dvd/blu rays out.

Edited by funkopop
  • Love 1
  1. The Dick Van Dyke Show
  2. The Bob Newhart Show
  3. Barney Miller
  4. Frasier
  5. Castle
  6. The West Wing
  7. Sports Night
  8. WKRP
  9. Call the Midwife

The first three are my very favorite shows of all time.  My DVD purchasing has lessened over the years, with more things available via Netflix.  And I find I'm much more likely to re-watch a sitcom rather than a drama series.  I bought the entire series of Frasier a few years ago when going through a lengthy medical issue; it really helped me get through a very difficult time.  I received the first 2 seasons of Castle as a gift at that time, and subsequent seasons as birthday presents for a few years.  I loved The West Wing and couldn't resist a Black Friday sale several years ago when I got the entire series for $45.  Avoid those sales if you don't want to add to your collection.  You're full of turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, pie, and several glasses of wine, and then you go online and think, "the complete Hart to Hart for only $39 - I must have it!"  

• Love 1

Most of my DVD boxsets have been ripped onto my Qnap server for easier access, but I still have the original DVDs.

The West Wing
The Wire
Farscape

Star Trek: Next Generation

The Sopranos

Queer as Folk

Hill Street Blues

House

House of Cards

Friends

Black Adder