Type keyword(s) to search

WGN-TV: (It Was Once) Chicago's Very Own

UYI
  • Start Topic

The station that brought the Chicago Cubs, Harry Caray, Tom Skilling, and Bozo the Clown to a national audience. It's safe to say that isn't what it once was, but we'll always have the memories.

• Love 2
On 1/19/2018 at 4:53 PM, UYI said:

The station that brought the Chicago Cubs, Harry Caray, Tom Skilling, and Bozo the Clown to a national audience. It's safe to say that isn't what it once was, but we'll always have the memories.

I really miss watching the local Chicago news!

Ah, Bozo the Clown!  I used to turn on the tv in the morning as I was getting ready for day and could tell the time by what was on.  If I was on time, I could sit down and watch the "Bullwinkle and Rocky Show" clip that they ran.  Many a' morning I missed it.  There was a local commercial for a car dealership that ran during the show.  Does anyone remember the name?

March 28th marks the beginning of the end of one of the most enduring partnerships in sports and TV history: WGN-TV and Chicago Cubs baseball. I know there have been fewer and fewer games shown there in the last few years, and if you're not in the Chicago area they're not on WGN anymore at all, but to imagine them being gone from the station completely? It's hard for me to comprehend. The Cubs will have their own network next year, but to me, this will always be their real TV home.

On 10/13/2023 at 10:08 AM, UYI said:

The dean of Chicago weather is retiring. Good luck, Tom! He is truly the GOAT.

Skilling is one of the top Chicago TV weathermen, but IMO Harry Volkman is the GOAT.  Also high up are P.J. Hoff (for us oldsters), Jim Tilmon, and John Coleman (who help pioneer the "happy talk" news in Chicago and founded the Weather Channel).

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 1