Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef in the Media

Bella
  • Start Topic

^I was very interested (I try to eat healthy, and like "global recipes") but this description is about three steps too far for me (as I have no desire, nor need, to avoid most of these things):

Beloved Top Chef star Gregory Gourdet's groundbreaking cookbook has the culinary sophistication and delight of Yottam Ottolenghi books and goes a step further, featuring only healthy recipes free of gluten, dairy, soy, refined sugar, and legumes

On 4/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, dleighg said:

^I was very interested (I try to eat healthy, and like "global recipes") but this description is about three steps too far for me (as I have no desire, nor need, to avoid most of these things):

I appreciate no soy recipes (I’m vegetarian, and me and tofu don’t mix), but no legumes? That’s the bulk of my diet 😬

• Love 4

So apparently Melissa King was at the Met Gala tonight! I actually only mention this in light of the conversation around Kwame's hand accessory, although I think it's pretty great she's getting to move in these kinds of circles. Anyway, check out entry #24 in the article. She looks fantastic.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/fashion/g39881268/best-worst-dressed-met-gala-2022/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social-media&src=socialflowTW&utm_campaign=socialflowTWCOS

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
43 minutes ago, Rai said:

I actually only mention this in light of the conversation around Kwame's hand accessory,

Thanks for posting this.  She looks great!  I wonder if the hand jewelry is a different piece by the same designer as Kwame's.  Anybody know?

• Love 4

If you have a premium account on Peacock you will now be able to watch Bravo shows the day after they air, including Top Chef.

Peacock Premium subscribers can stream new episodes of Bravo series the next day and will have complete access to past seasons. In September, every Bravo series will be available to stream on Peacock next day. Until then, starting today, in-season shows with episodes streaming next day on Peacock include “Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen”; “Summer House”; “Below Deck Sailing Yacht”; “Top Chef”; “Kandi and the Gang”; and “The Real Housewives of New Jersey” and “The Real Housewives of Atlanta,” the latter which just had its season 14 premiere on Bravo last night.

• Useful 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm guessing Canada. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver?

Vancouver and Toronto seem like no-brainers. Although I don’t know if staying in North America could really be considered “global.”

Edited by caitmcg
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Brought over from the S19.#12 We're on a Boat thread. 

First season host was Katie Lee, this article explains why she was a one season host.    Then, Padma was picked, and it was all her show from then on.  

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/why-andy-cohen-dropped-the-original-top-chef-host-katie-lee-joel.html/

I got a kick out of why Andy Cohen decided she had to go. 

It's been interesting to watch this show evolve over the years from changing hosts where they filmed, and how they've refined the show over the years.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I thought the evolution of this show, moving from more background and drama between contestants, to more food-focused was Padma’s influence. I really like it. It’s hard to watch earlier seasons. The last several seasons, particularly the last 5, have been a joy to watch. Really nice contestants, really good chefs, really yummy food. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
(edited)

Watching "Nomad with Carlton McCoy" on CNN and Nick Wallace from the current season is on the Mississippi episode (#6).

Edited by ML89
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

The finalists were asked about their go to fast foods. Evelyn loves McDonalds, Buddha goes for the Popeye's fried chicken, and Sarah goes...well, Sarah. 

"One of my favorite trash meals is when you take one box of macaroni and one package of ramen," Sarah said. "You cook the macaroni. Right before the macaroni is done cooking, you add the ramen. You add hot dogs to that and you mix in both the cheese and seasoning packets. It's called Mac Ramen."

🙄

• Mind Blown 4
  • Applause 1

Ha - I almost never eat fast food, but the one thing I eat (quite sparingly!) that is an absolute crime against food is Kraft mac & cheese with sliced Hillshire Farms hot links mixed in (I state the brands to show these aren't even less-awful versions of each item; this is five people's combined weekly allotment of sodium in one bowl of trash food). 

I learned it as a teenager from a friend who basically raised herself and her younger siblings -- mac & cheese with hot dogs mixed in.  It was frakking delicious, and not anything I'd ever had at home.  (My parents were not above the occasional box of Kraft mac & cheese as a side dish, but it was occasional, and they certainly weren't adding hot dogs to it to make a meal.)  The first time I made it at home, my mom said to enjoy it while I had the metabolism for it.  In college, I subbed the hot link sausage for hot dogs for additional flavor.  Closing in on 50, long cooking with almost no processed food, it's still an occasional exception and I love it each one of those rare times.

So Sarah is my spirit animal on this one.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

@Bastet add some hot sauce and it's even better.  I had a college roommate who said she "invented" this (and meant it in the literal sense lol) but she also claims to have "invented" cereal with *chocolate* milk in it lol.  But yeah, hot sauce in mac'n'cheese'n'ramen'n'hot dogs?  Excellent comfort food. 

I'm also with Sarah in the trash food universe.  

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

@ALittleShelfish, did she also claim to invent post-its? 😉

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! excellent movie.  

on topic ... I just fell down the Top Chef rabbit hole, interviews with past contestants, etc.  A friend of mine worked for a TC winner and said the job was fun (it was a non-kitchen, non-restaurant role) but restaurant people are in a different world than what she was used to.  Not sure what kind of NDA she signed so I'm hesitant to mention anything without her go-ahead, but she did say she is bummed she never got to meet Tom and Padma lol. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The Pack Your Knives podcast episode about the finale had Sarah Welch on as a guest after the hosts (Tom Habberstroh and Kevin Arnovitz) discussed the show. She was nice, smart, insightful, interesting. I think the people who found her irritating might find her more appealing than they expected. I did. 

• Love 10
On 5/13/2022 at 2:07 AM, ProudMary said:

I'm guessing Canada. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver?

Fun!!  Can’t wait!  

On 6/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, marybennet said:

The Pack Your Knives podcast episode about the finale had Sarah Welch on as a guest after the hosts (Tom Habberstroh and Kevin Arnovitz) discussed the show. She was nice, smart, insightful, interesting. I think the people who found her irritating might find her more appealing than they expected. I did. 

Love Kevin and Tom!  And really enjoyed Sarah’s interview. Learned a few secrets, too!

On 6/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, marybennet said:

Having now listened to the episode, I have to say, Sarah was a fantastic guest. She gave wonderful insights as to what it's like being on Top Chef and even why it's a less competitive vibe right now. Loved it.

• Love 8

Y'all. I did it. I made Mac Ramen. For science.

It's exactly as you'd expect. As previously mentioned, it does need a protein for substance, something like a hot sauce for flavor, and a side salad so as not to be a completely irredeemable meal, but my inner 20YO was kvelling at the trashy carb-iness of it all. 5/10, would possibly eat again. Just not in the foreseeable future or when anybody's looking. 

• LOL 7
On 6/7/2022 at 2:09 PM, LizDC said:

That's awesome, good for him.

I thought "mac and cheese with cut up hot dogs" was a known Canadian thing.  Am I wrong?

Also, Monica prepares that for Chandler on "Friends" as one of his favourite meals.  I thought that was a nod to Matthew Perry being Canadian.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I never thought of it as Canadian.  We did that growing up, too (not every time we made mac & cheese but sometimes).  Maybe it's regional?  I grew up in southeastern MI, but I also later had friends in southern CA that did it, too 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My mom, who grew up in northwestern OH, did that for us too. My youngest has the Friends cookbook (I don't know which; we bought more than one), and we made it once. Trashy as hell, which is right up my alley, but not as good as it was when I was a kid.

I would have liked Nick to win the Fan Favorite, but I guess he had enough bread!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Hmmm.

Shota Nakajima Is Pulling Out of His Restaurant Project in Cle Elum

In February, Seattle’s favorite celebrity chef Shota Nakajima announced he was opening his first teriyaki restaurant in Cle Elum, about 100 miles east of Seattle. There was a soft opening in late March, which Nakajima said was a smashing success, and he was planning to add a spicy fried chicken sandwich business sometime this summer as part of a large complex in Cle Elum containing Banzai Teriyaki, the sandwich shop, and a concert venue called Studebaker Alley.

Then, on June 23, Nakajima told Eater Seattle that he was pulling out of the project, providing little information about what happened to what was one of the spring’s most anticipated restaurants in the Seattle area. He posted the same message he sent to Eater Seattle on his Instagram account the following day.

Nakajima declined to provide more information about why he’s leaving the project, and his Cle Elum business partner, mortgage broker Eric Bolstad, did not respond to a request for comment at the time of publication. It’s unclear whether Banzai Teriyaki will still open without Nakajima in charge of the kitchen.

• Useful 4

Chef Justin Sutherland seriously injured in July 4th boating accident

... Gillies reports that the hat flew off while he was piloting the boat.

He tried to grab it, hit a wave, and was knocked off the boat. He fell into the water near the motor, and the propeller did a number on his head and left arm. His arm is broken, but his grip remains strong and there appears to be no nerve damage. His jaw is severely broken, but doctors are optimistic that with several more surgeries he will be grinning in no time. In addition to his broken bones, he sustained many lacerations, but with plastic surgery, they will become a reminder of his survival story. ...

I'm surprised with all the restaurants he's opened and all the TV shows he's on, including a current one (Fast Foodies) that he doesn't have insurance! 

• Sad 12
12 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Chef Justin Sutherland seriously injured in July 4th boating accident

I'm surprised with all the restaurants he's opened and all the TV shows he's on, including a current one (Fast Foodies) that he doesn't have insurance! 

Here’s a link to a GoFundMe for him.  The comments are really sweet.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/chefjustinsutherland-medical-recovery-fund?utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Has anyone watched the documentary "Her Name is Chef" on Hulu? Leia Gaccione, the first chef eliminated, narrates it, and the late, beloved Fatima Ali is featured. She was one of my all-time favorite Top Chef cheftestants, and the documentary covers her cancer diagnosis and eventual death. It's just heartbreaking. Padma, the two Denver Joes, and Adrienne Chatham are all interviewed about Fati, too.

Don't worry--it's not all sad. Female chefs are featured, and the documentary is well-done. Pun intended 😃

Meant to say that Leia was the first chef eliminated on Top Chef Houston. 

• Useful 9
  • Love 4

Guy Fieri is doind a fundraiser for Justin, and it looks incredible!  Wish I could go.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgh7b73pk4J/

It's expensive of all get out, but look at the lineup! 

Join 10 of America’s Greatest Chefs at Guy Fieri’s home in Northern California wine country for a culinary demonstration, instruction, premium wine, Santo Tequila and amazing food to help raise money for Chef Justin Sutherland’s medical bills and surgeries”.

Participants:

• Hunter Fieri
  • Maneet Chauhan
  • Rocco Dispirito
  • Amanda Freitag
  • Antonia Lofaso
  • Aaron May
  • Christian Petroni
  • Aarti Sequeria
  • Jet Tila
  • Michael Voltaggio
  • Applause 2