Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef in the Media

Bella
  • Start Topic

Don’t know where else to ask this so ... does anyone know if Peacock’s acquisition of Top Chef means it will disappear from Hulu? Midway through S7 and can’t go cold turkey. I know Mr. Snappy doesn’t want to spend anymore $$$ on new pay-to-play channels but ... 

4 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Don’t know where else to ask this so ... does anyone know if Peacock’s acquisition of Top Chef means it will disappear from Hulu? Midway through S7 and can’t go cold turkey. I know Mr. Snappy doesn’t want to spend anymore $$$ on new pay-to-play channels but ... 

3 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

AFAIK, Peacock is free.

Well, that would be a cool development, then I could watch those five seasons I didn’t see while I didn’t have access to Bravo.

4 hours ago, Christina said:

I don't know the answer to the Hulu question, but Peacock is not free. I paid an early bird price of $25 for a year, but my plan has some commercials. 

Their pay structure is a bit confusing but they do have a free option that has ads but you don’t have access to everything available, though they haven’t been that clear on what you don’t get I think TC would be available on that free tier. They also have Peacock Premium which it sounds like you have which is access to everything but with ads and Peacock Premium Plus with access to everything and no ads 

Edited by biakbiak

Thanks guys! I’ll do some homework if I can re: what shows are being taken off of Hulu and Netflix and moving solely to Peacock. Maybe we’ll wind up giving up Hulu and paying for Peacock (I have 3 more seasons of ER to binge watch but think I can do that by September 20). 

On 9/3/2020 at 9:01 AM, biakbiak said:

Their pay structure is a bit confusing but they do have a free option that has ads but you don’t have access to everything available, though they haven’t been that clear on what you don’t get. I think TC would be available on that free tier. They also have Peacock Premium which it sounds like you have which is access to everything but with ads and Peacock Premium Plus with access to everything and no ads 

Top Chef Masters (5 seasons) is available for free, so here's hoping OG Top Chef will be, too!  I've been jonesing for a re-watch but am too cheap to pay for anything other than Netflix.

Edited by Lovecat
On 9/4/2020 at 3:24 PM, Lovecat said:

Top Chef Masters (5 seasons) is available for free, so here's hoping OG Top Chef will be, too!  I've been jonesing for a re-watch but am too cheap to pay for anything other than Netflix.

Quoting myself to update:  16 seasons of Top Chef are now available on Peacock, but NOT on the free subscription level.  Bugger.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Season 18 location announced!

https://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/top-chef-season-18-location?cid=soc_fb_Dish

Bravo's Top Chef will showcase Portland, Oregon in Season 18, coming in 2021. A new batch of talented chefs will be challenged all over the city, from PDX to the coast, exploring the famous Hood River Fruit Loop, Columbia River Gorge, Oregon's Mt. Hood Territory, Tillamook Bay, Tualatin Valley, and Willamette Valley wine country.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Portland! Heck of a time to go there between getting the worst of the smoke and the protest drama associated with the town this year. I graduated college there in the 90's and it was an OK food city then but subsequent visits have confirmed that it's one of the top food cities now.

We're going to get a lot of talk this season about how restaurants are suffering due to Covid this year, and rightfully so. Will Restaurant Wars be Pod Wars this time around?

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Portland? Really? This must have been filmed well before Covid. How could they possibly risk the crew and contestants given what is going on there now?

They just started filming. If you mean the protests it’s literally a three block radius of downtown, cast and crew will be fine.

Padma talked about it on her IG, she is there now, her main concern was about the fires. They will be in a bubble so might not see that much of the city but that former Alum will be helping out with judging throughout the season.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Thanks for that, hard to filter what you see on the news and web.

DS is  a Battalion Chief in Bay Area CA he has been out with his crews for weeks fighting the fires. I keep praying for rain. I live in MT and we have been inundated with smoke until the last few days when the wind finally changed. 

Gail posted tagging a lot of alum who will apparently be participating as judges.

Including: winners Richard, Kristen, Brooke, and Melissa, and non Gregory, Kwame, Ed Lee, Nina, Carrie and Amar (who I completely forgot about he was a finalist when Jeremy won). 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the talent pool is high this season with restaurants closing down and more chefs out of work. In the Minneapolis area a number of quality restaurants have had to close down permanently because they just couldn't make it financially.

And speaking of Minneapolis, when will this area have a season?? Besides having a good food scene, we have one of the best restaurant supply/equipment companies in the country that can handle all those challenges!

• Love 7
On 9/29/2020 at 9:54 PM, ProudMary said:

That list disappoints me. They're in Portland. I expected to see Doug Adams. 😕

I think we might.  As it turns out, Doug Adams has closed Bullard 9/28-10/20 to spend time 'to recharge and gear up for the holidays.'

• Useful 2

Oregonian article about the new season

Some of the sights/regions they plan on visiting - Hood River Fruit Loop (lots of orchards and absolutely gorgeous in the fall), the Columbia River Gorge (not sure exactly where they'd go here - possibly the fish hatchery near Bonneville Dam?), Mt Hood Territory (my best guess would be Mt Hood Resort in Welches or Timberline Lodge up on the mountain - or possibly both - neither of those areas were touched by the wildfires), Tillamook Bay (CHEESE!!!!! oh, and seafood, lol - but CHEESE!!!!), Tualatin Valley (my neck of the woods - lots of farm-to-fresh produce stands and lavender fields), Willamette Valley wine country (kind of obvious, lol).  

They are working in a production bubble, have a rotating judging & dining panel, and doing curbside pickup with Whole Foods instead of racing around the store (that will be an interesting change to the dynamic we've seen in past seasons where one cheftestant or team buys all of a certain product - usually meat - and another team/cheftestant has to recalibrate).  No mention of the iconic food cart pods but I'd be shocked if there isn't at least one episode centered on them.  There are a few good ones in downtown and downtown is essentially deserted during the daytime right now.  

As far as the protests - they get pushed around to different areas of the city - sometimes across the Willamette into east Portland, sometimes up into North Portland, but the part that is downtown is mostly confined to the 6-9 square blocks around the city, county and federal buildings.  The greater concern with downtown would be the various homeless encampments.  

I'm a little surprised they aren't venturing to more than one location on the coast - I'd have expected Astoria/Seaside or Lincoln City/Newport because Tillamook is so closely associated with the dairy industry, and there are lots of great restaurants in both Clatsop and Lincoln counties that are also suffering due to the pandemic shut down.  

All in all, I expect it will be a great season, Covid-19 or not, and I look forward to it when it airs next spring!

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

Inside the unprecedented effort to film ‘Top Chef’ through COVID, protests and wildfires

Among the changes that had to be made, no Restaurant Wars.

Clearly, it’s a challenge that would not fly in the COVID era. The solution, Arquines said, was something Reichman had wanted to try pre-pandemic: a chef’s table war, in which the two teams serve the judges a tasting menu in the kitchen itself. “They’re watching them the entire service, seven-course meal — very high end,” Arquines said.

“It is the perennial favorite of the season for viewers, for the chefs competing, for the judges,” Reichman said. They wanted to “honor” what restaurants are doing now, he said: “Is it going to be takeout wars? Is it going to be curbside pickup wars?”

“And what we really, really liked was this idea,” Reichman continued. “It felt very chef-y, it felt very high stakes. We were really inspired by some of the great restaurants around the world that are doing this.”

• Love 7

Clearly, [Restaurant Wars is] a challenge that would not fly in the COVID era. The solution, Arquines said, was something Reichman had wanted to try pre-pandemic: a chef’s table war, in which the two teams serve the judges a tasting menu in the kitchen itself. “They’re watching them the entire service, seven-course meal — very high end,” Arquines said.

I may be alone in this, but I am so happy that the new season won't have Restaurant Wars. I could go on and on about why I intensely dislike it (pretty sure I have done so before anyway), but no need! It won't be part of this season! YAAAAAYYYYYYY!

• Love 11

What I like about the idea is that front of house shouldn't matter. It will be all about the food. I'd still like to see an Executive Chef. But it will be nice not to have to watch bad service, waitstaff who have no clue, a floundering front of house and chaos with the tickets.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

What I like about the idea is that front of house shouldn't matter. It will be all about the food. I'd still like to see an Executive Chef. But it will be nice not to have to watch bad service, waitstaff who have no clue, a floundering front of house and chaos with the tickets.

I don’t dislike restaurant wars, but I’m kind of happy to have a fresh challenge. 

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I only want to see Restaurant Wars if they have professional wait staff, and a front of house that's a pro, and not in the competition.  

they aren't having wait staff or FoH

I wouldn't mind takeout wars as a challenge for an episode. They've done foodtrucks but not takeout I don't think. That could be fun.

One of the Las Vegas chefs competing this season is Jamie Tran of The Black Sheep. This is literally down the street from my house! I could technically walk there, it's about 3/4 of a mile. It's gotten great reviews but currently LV has 25% capacity for indoor dining and it's a small restaurant. She was also featured on Hubert Keller's last series, Secrets of a Chef. If you get PBS Passport it may be available through that, doesn't seem to be uploaded or streamed otherwise. 

• Love 5
On 2/9/2021 at 9:58 AM, Lamb18 said:

I won't miss the whole trying to make the whole team's dishes match the decor theme of one chef, that's for sure. 

• Love 4
On 3/4/2021 at 8:58 PM, Msample said:

Ugh, fucking Richard Blais again this season ?? 

On 2/8/2021 at 7:16 PM, biakbiak said:

Trailer and bios here in case the above goes away!

Yea, even in the video of the linked article, the small snippet of him is him saying "I would have never done that" ...always has to bring it back to himself. There will be enough guest judges that I do like that hopefully he won't be too prominent.

• Love 3