Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef in the Media

Bella
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, AriAu said:

And one can only assume that the first challenge will be to make an "elevated" Kentucky Hot Brown!

That’s what I am afraid of, they’ll mess it up! The first time I had one, my sales rep took me to a place that overlooked the river and it was da bomb!!

• Love 1

Looootttts of Top Cheffers on this years Beard nomination list from a variety of seasons,

https://www.eater.com/2018/2/15/17006092/james-beard-awards-2018-semifinalists-chefs-restaurants-jbfa

Nicholas Elmi, Tiffani Faison, Gregory Gourdet, Nina Compton, Isaac Toups (yeah), Lindsay Autry, Laura Cole from this season, Karen Akunowicz and Beverly Kim are all on the big boy list, along with some Top Chef Masters and one former judge Hugh-nee-brow

Still looking, but no Philip Lee from TC California! Too bad there is not a sarcasm font

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, AriAu said:

And one can only assume that the first challenge will be to make an "elevated" Kentucky Hot Brown!

i make kentucky hot browns all the time.  maybe they'll have them biscuits and gravy or lamb fries!

Tyler Anderson from the current TC season is also a Beard Nominee.

oops...missed that one. I felt like he was one of the most talented chefs this season, but he was just not a good cheftestant and never got the hang of how to play this game.

Preeti Mistry is also on the list of semifinalists for "Best Chef".

Really missed that one-she never showed much in Vegas and frankly didn't stand much of a chance any ways between the Voltaggios, Yukon Cornealius and Jen

On 2/14/2018 at 6:12 PM, cooksdelight said:

I guess we’ll be seeing Edward Lee. I can only think of a few restaurants I’ve been to in Louisville when I had to travel there for business. There’s a really good little steakhouse called Del Frisco’s by the river that was good.

You seem to have a good grasp on how the television shoots go for TC.  I have a good friend who lives outside Louisville, and I'd LOVE to go visit (maybe make it a TC trip)....do you have any suggestions on what to watch for to make this happen?  I can be there in 2 days (I live in SoFla....not very far from where that awful shooting happened yesterday, I'm still shaken by the whole thing).

6 hours ago, AriAu said:

Still looking, but no Philip Lee from TC California! Too bad there is not a sarcasm font

It wouldn't be fair to his fellow nominees because he's so much more talented & innovative than they are. No matter who "they" are. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

You seem to have a good grasp on how the television shoots go for TC.  I have a good friend who lives outside Louisville, and I'd LOVE to go visit (maybe make it a TC trip)....do you have any suggestions on what to watch for to make this happen?  I can be there in 2 days (I live in SoFla....not very far from where that awful shooting happened yesterday, I'm still shaken by the whole thing).

A high school friend is in a job in Lexington that would require people get in touch to set things up.... :). I’ll ask him to let me know when he thinks they’ll be in town.

• Love 1
On 2/16/2018 at 2:18 AM, Wishing Well said:

Kentucky!  But that chick from Masterchef with frizzy hair who looked like one of the characters from Orphan Black said they have no cuisine there in their one grocery store.

She was playing up the one-horsedness of her town. If I remember right she was 45 minutes away from Louisville which has everything (including always fresh fish since it's UPS's air shipment hub).  There was a Louisville chef on TC a couple of years ago (forget her name, from Decca restaurant) but she wiped out quick.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:04 PM, biakbiak said:

Padma is on WWHL tonight.

I haven't been a huge Padma fan over the years, but I think she may be growing on me.  Visiting Fatima Ali was so wonderfully nice, and based on her WWHL interview, she seems to support past cheftestants and is even friends with some outside the show.

I also liked her take on marriage (she has no interest in it!).  Her haircut was great.  She looked the best she's ever looked and in a mindset that seemed content and confident.  

On 2/15/2018 at 7:04 PM, AriAu said:

Looootttts of Top Cheffers on this years Beard nomination list from a variety of seasons,

https://www.eater.com/2018/2/15/17006092/james-beard-awards-2018-semifinalists-chefs-restaurants-jbfa

Nicholas Elmi, Tiffani Faison, Gregory Gourdet, Nina Compton, Isaac Toups (yeah), Lindsay Autry, Laura Cole from this season, Karen Akunowicz and Beverly Kim are all on the big boy list, along with some Top Chef Masters and one former judge Hugh-nee-brow

Goes to show all of us that winning the show isn't the only indicator of talent.

On 2/15/2018 at 7:19 PM, ProudMary said:

Tyler Anderson from the current TC season is also a Beard Nominee.

I liked Tyler and wish he would have lasted longer.   I was surprised he went home so early.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1

I love Tyler!!! He is so witty. A few of this season's chefs referred to him as hysterical.

I was intrigued when Tyler referred to the cheese-guest judge as a Greek god. Tyler also kept mentioning his fiancée without specifying gender (like how pink-haired Karen talked about her "spouse").

Anyway, one click led to another, and I discovered that Tyler's fiancée is a beautiful woman who he proposed to days before leaving to film the show. They have a super-cute little girl together. (He also has two kids from a different relationship.)

It also seems that Tyler's birthday was during filming, but wasn't mentioned (besides the risotto curse, isn't there also a birthday curse?).

He seems like a great guy overall. When he did the obligatory Instagram post for fan-favourite, he encouraged fans to vote for Fatima instead of him.

He won me over and I look forward to seeing photos of his upcoming wedding.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jextella said:

, she seems to support past cheftestants and is even friends with some outside the show.

Her friendship with Kristen that extends ro her daughter and Kristen being close is my favorite thing abou her IG, also hercooking Indian dishes.

I love how close all of the contestants are. After surfing through Instagram, I noticed the following:

Tyler is hosting a 5-course meal at his restaurant featuring himself, Adrienne and Chris. Tickets were $110 and all of the proceeds go to sarcoma research in Fatima's name. (I wonder if she will show up). Tickets sold out in thirty minutes.

Adrienne is originally from Chicago. While in town to celebrate her nephew's first birthday, she stopped by Spaggio to hang out with Joe F., whom she calls her "brother from a South-side mother." They both posted photos. Then Joe's mom joined the comments referring to herself as that Southside mother. It was cute.

Joe F's mom posts get well messages on Fatima's Instagram, Joe S.' crystal-loving girlfriend posts on Joe's wife's account, the crystal-lover has commented on Bruce's son's cuteness...

I love seeing how close they are.

• Love 10

Bruce really does know everybody.

On his Instagram, he has had comments by Jon Tesar, Tyler Florence, and Katsuji. There are photos of his son being held by Valerie Bertanelli and Nancy Silverton (one of the finale judges!). He went to an event by Curtis Stone and he is best friends with Duff Goldman.

Sheldon was on BBF tonight.  He was just delightful but he didn't win.  :(  FN, true to form, didn't mention his Top Chef connection when they did his little bio.

I am automatically prejudiced against anyone who comes out of Mike Isabella's kitchens because he has never not seemed gross to me. I hope she nails him to the wall. Maybe now Colicchio will finally put his weird Isabella crush to rest.

(That said, I thought Marjorie was great and robbed of being in the finale, but she's more the exception than the rule.)

• Love 3

One thing I love about the latest season is how great the chefs as a whole were to each other and how supportive they were both on and off camera.

Like Carrie at Adrienne’s wedding

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/top-chef-season-15-contestant-adrienne-cheatham-is-married-see-photos-of-wedding

And everyone continuing g to support Fatima

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/top-chef-season-15-contestant-fatima-ali-cancer-battle-adrienne-cheatham-reacts-video

• Love 4

While experiencing Top-Chef-withdrawal-syndrome, I have been enjoying Richard Blais’ podcasts called Starving for Attention.

He has interviewed Gail, Antonia Lofaso, a behind the scenes producer of Top Chef,  Jet Tila, Curtis Stone, etc.I enjoy the extra tidbits about the show that we wouldn’t otherwise know. Worth checking out.

• Love 2
On 3/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, hendersonrocks said:

Mike Isabella, Top Chef, and the Capitalism of Bad Behavior from The Atlantic, pulling no punches.

This show has run its course. Which is sad because it's been some of the best food TV ever and has kept Bravo out of the Andy Cohen branded dumpster. 

On 3/21/2018 at 1:04 PM, LeighLeigh said:

While experiencing Top-Chef-withdrawal-syndrome, I have been enjoying Richard Blais’ podcasts called Starving for Attention.

He has interviewed Gail, Antonia Lofaso, a behind the scenes producer of Top Chef,  Jet Tila, Curtis Stone, etc.I enjoy the extra tidbits about the show that we wouldn’t otherwise know. Worth checking out.

Blais was such a misogynistic asshole when he lost his season that I can't watch him. His whining about the competition being his and that he only lost because of the altitude was very poor sportsmanship.    

44 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

that he only lost because of the altitude was very poor sportsmanship.    

The altitude? He didnt say that, they were in Puerto Rico. He did say he choked. I also think he would have reacted the same way of he had lost to Dale or Spike and didnt see anything misogynistic about his attitude.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7

The altitude? He didnt say that, they were in Puerto Rico. He did say he choked. I also think he would have reacted the same way of he had lost to Dale or Spike and didnt see anything misogynistic about his attitude.

I agree-he said, and has consistently said that he choked and he did not seem to be particularly misogynistic. On the other hand, he did not seem to give the winner, who happened to be not only supremely talented, but also a woman, a lot of credit for beating him and she did beat him that day!

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, AriAu said:

I agree-he said, and has consistently said that he choked and he did not seem to be particularly misogynistic. On the other hand, he did not seem to give the winner, who happened to be not only supremely talented, but also a woman, a lot of credit for beating him and she did beat him that day!

Thank you! I thought that it was the altitude but maybe he was sick or something?? I do clearly remember his sour grapes at losing and inferring that Stephanie Izard didn't deserve the win. I took at as him being beat by a girl. I'll have to rewatch the episode and see what had me so annoyed. 

7 hours ago, spankydoll said:

This show has run its course. Which is sad because it's been some of the best food TV ever and has kept Bravo out of the Andy Cohen branded dumpster.

I respectfully disagree. Sure, there are a-holes and jerks throughout the history of Top Chef (and every reality show) but overall I still thoroughly enjoy watching TC and the creativity and skill.  This season in particular, I really, really liked 99% of the chefs —just good souls with a ton of cooking talent.  

And I will completely agree with you on the need to keep Bravo out of the Andy Cohen dumpster!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I respectfully disagree. Sure, there are a-holes and jerks throughout the history of Top Chef (and every reality show) but overall I still thoroughly enjoy watching TC and the creativity and skill.  This season in particular, I really, really liked 99% of the chefs —just good souls with a ton of cooking talent.  

And I will completely agree with you on the need to keep Bravo out of the Andy Cohen dumpster!

Tom just seems fatigued by the activities. Padma's stylist clearly hates her as they have managed to make one of the most beautiful women in the world look like an extra on Westworld. The editing has become predictable. Every time someone calls home or says that they miss their kids you know that they are as doomed as a character in an opera with a cough. 

I am in until the bitter end though. I have learned so much about food and have visited many of the restaurants featured by the show. I used the seven deadly sins menu as an icebreaker at parties. PKAG is a popular dis in my home. I have a molecular gastronomy kit. I knew enough to feel faint when I was seated next to Ferran Adria. Finally, when I am watching name one pull a bonehead move on television I always quote Padma "Two words. National television .".

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:14 PM, LeighLeigh said:

I watched Chopped today. The guest judges were Tiffany Faison and Dale Talde. One contestant works at Red Rooster. There was a photo of him at work. Adrienne was in the background of the photo. 

I guess we just needed to wait 10+ years for them to truly make it in TV! ;-)

• Love 1

Top Chef Canada is airing currently, and they made one interesting change to the rules. They made the safe-from-elimination status into a kind of get-out-of-jail card which the cheftestant who won it can use once in the next 4 episodes from the episode where he wins it, which in this case was episode 2, and there's only one in the whole competition.

To use it, the cheftestant must announce it, if he is in the bottom 3 and up for elimination, before the judges have picked, who will be eliminated. So, if he believes, that the other two up for elimination made worse dishes and one of them will be picked to be eliminated, he could choose not to use it and save it for another time, but of course he runs the risk of being eliminated if it turns out the judges thinks he is the worst and pick him to be eliminated.

• Love 3

Top Chef Canada just had an elimination challenge where the chefs had to cook food from different regions of  Mexico. I couldn’t stop thinking of Claudette. 

Regardless of country, chefs are all the same. No one wanted to do desserts. The bottom three consisted of two who prepared a dessert.

Other differences: zero footage of the contestants’ house. No Last Chance Kitchen. Extreme comraderie: they cheered for the guy who volunteered to do dessert because he “ took one for the team”.

Girl crush on the host Eden Grinshpan. Her Instagram is hilarious. 

• Love 1