Type keyword(s) to search

Continuity, Nitpicks, Unanswered Questions and Timeline Headaches: When Did That Honeycrisp Apple Come From

• Start Topic

We don't know where Hook's magic bean came from/who he traded the Jolly Roger to for it. I suspect that will become a plot point at some point. Whenever TPTB decide, Oh, we'd like our ship back now, please!

(edited)

So, am I supposed to infer that the one itty bitty plant that Regina didn't burn and she kept in her office was transported back to the Enchanted Forest and Anton's been tending to it and handing them out like candy to people who would trade for the Jolly Roger? Or...? Where did the bean come from????

I think we would need to assume that bean plant died. That's the only explanation for Regina saying there were no beans, since Snow/Charming would have gotten some from Anton if that were the case.

But as you said, Snow and Charming could still have used the Bean to get to Neverland, and then take Shadow-Air to Earth.

I wonder if Wendy's London was our London or yet another realm that seems like London?

The writers confirmed it was our London. But Alice in Wonderland's London in the spinoff show is a Fictional Victorian World Realm even though it looks exactly like London. Clear as mud, they are.

Edited by Camera One
(edited)
Now I have this mental image of Anton using the Jolly Roger as a bathtub toy, with him having been the one to buy it.

Ha!

I've honestly stopped trying to figure out the mechanics of the beans, because it's clear to me that the writers have put less than no thought into it. Bae could use a bean to get to our world initially, when the "barriers were still up," but apparently beans WON'T work in 3x12. Blue gave Bae "the last bean"...yet 300 years later the giants still have a decently healthy crop. Rumpel KNOWS that a bean will get him to and from our world, but apparently after Hook uses that one never ever looks for a bean again, or is aware of the giants that live on top of the GIANT BEANSTALK...in the middle, SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE, of the Enchanted Forest. (For 300 years he misses this, mind.) But Anton supposedly had the last of the beans, which he used to make the Storybrooke crop, which was burned by Regina with Tamara, Tamara&Greg, and the gang using the last three...yet apparently there is a thriving enough black market in beans that Hook could acquire one no problem.

It's TOTALLY just pulled out of their ass whenever they feel like it.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 5
(edited)

If there were magical wardrobes, magic beans, white rabbit holes, cyclones and silver slippers around, why did Rumple need a curse? The irony is he was standing on the Jolly Roger to get the bean from Hook. Little did he know he was standing on enchanted wood, which could be fashioned into a wardrobe. The whole "there are no more portals!" thing was a major plot hole in my opinion.

So did Snow and Charming just quit their jobs after the curse broke?

What happened to King George?

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

The writers confirmed it was our London. But Alice in Wonderland's London in the spinoff show is a Fictional Victorian World Realm even though it looks exactly like London. Clear as mud, they are.

When it would actually make sense if it was the other way around. There was no real reason for Alice's London to be fictional.

• Love 1
(edited)

I completely agree, Souris. The reason was so Alice could be in a Victorian insane asylum concurrently while the Knave was in Storybrooke. So no time travelling would be involved before The Rabbit took them both to Wonderland, also occurring in current time.

Edited by Camera One
The whole "there are no more portals!" thing was a major plot hole in my opinion.

And the "there are no more beans!" since Hook seems to be able to get one whenever he wants one and Rumple is the Dark One with great power and the ability to spin straw into gold, so if there was a bean in existence, you'd think he'd have been able to buy it. Even worse, Rumple was able to track where Henry was with his blood magic globe thingy. Was he never tracking where Bae was, so that he didn't know that Bae was in Neverland, which could be reached via all kinds of magical means (since Hook practically commutes there), for a few hundred years, more or less? Did he not once in all those centuries bother to do his blood magic GPS to be sure where his son was? Bae was possibly even still in Neverland when the curse was cast and didn't make it back to our world until afterward, so Rumple set up the curse to go to the wrong world.

(edited)

Even worse, Rumple was able to track where Henry was with his blood magic globe thingy.

Conveniently, only Cora had that magic globe thingy, since she gave it to Rumple as a "gift". Now, where the heck she got it from is certainly an unanswered question.

Edited by Camera One
So did Snow and Charming just quit their jobs after the curse broke?

Snow, yes, apparently. David didn't really have a job--as far as I can recall, before the curse broke he was a volunteer at the animal shelter but it didn't sound like he was getting paid (and he was planning to move to Boston anyway, so presumably he had already quit)--but he's definitely the deputy to Emma's sheriff now.

What happened to King George?

There's a deleted scene from Season 2 that shows that David chained him up in the mines under the town. Past that, who knows?? Certainly not Adam and Eddie! ;)

• Love 1

I completely agree, Souris. The reason was so Alice could be in a Victorian insane asylum concurrently while the Knave was in Storybrooke. So no time travelling would be involved before The Rabbit took them both to Wonderland, also occurring in current time.

Ohhh. I didn't realize Alice's London was meant to be a fictional one. I just thought the Rabbit could time-portal with his holes. Well, that shoots down my Will theory I came up with today from the Spec thread!

(edited)

Why couldn't they have used the blood tracker globe in Neverland to find Henry's position? If it's accurate enough to narrow down one's position to the building they live in, why didn't they use it in Neverland to locate Pan's camp?

Edited by KingOfHearts
(edited)

Magic works differently there? The answer to everything, LOL.

Actually, that globe thingy disappeared completely. Rumple could have used it to find Neal again, at the very least.

Edited by Camera One
Conveniently, only Cora had that magic globe thingy, since she gave it to Rumple as a "gift".

Oh, I'd forgotten about that, but didn't he have some magical way of tracking Snow so they could watch her dealing with Blackbeard? Does it not work across realms? Or did Rumple feel inexplicably creepy about spying on his son? Again, we come back to the incredibly powerful and extremely wealthy guy who's apparently entirely without the resources that less powerful, less wealthy people collect easily. One of my handwave theories is that the curse was something of a procrastination maneuver -- Rumple was worried about what would happen when he found his son but felt like he ought to be doing something. The intricate curse allowed him to feel like he was doing something while not bringing him that much closer to actually having to face his son.

Though I do wonder how he thought he would be able to find a son who'd supposedly been in a world without magic for hundreds of years. Neverland seems to function on a different timeline, since Bae was in Victorian London, spent centuries in Neverland, and then returned to the late 20th century, but our world and the Enchanted Forest seem to be lined up pretty well, since Emma was able to show them what was happening at that time with Ariel.

but he's definitely the deputy to Emma's sheriff now.

In season 3B, David referred to himself as the sheriff. Curse 2 must have just assumed Emma wasn't in the picture because when he was teaching Henry to drive, he rationalized the legality of it by saying that he was sheriff. There may be a power struggle coming up in season 4 if Emma wants her old job back and her dad is in place as the sheriff. But would she want her job back? She mostly took it in the first place because it annoyed Regina.

David didn't really have a job--as far as I can recall, before the curse broke he was a volunteer at the animal shelter but it didn't sound like he was getting paid (and he was planning to move to Boston anyway, so presumably he had already quit)--but he's definitely the deputy to Emma's sheriff now.

This one pisses me off to no end because David actually refers to himself as sheriff, which no you are not David. Princely privilege did not hand him the job for which his daughter was duly elected. An election in which he actively campaigned for the other guy. I hate Sheriff David with the fire of a thousand suns. Deputy David is okay and it did seem like he deferred to Emma when Little John was missing, so maybe there is hope. The privilege assumed by so many characters on this show sets me off.

Speaking of, will there ever be an election for mayor of Storybrooke? Does Regina actually work as mayor anymore? Who actually is making sure things like road repairs and sewer maintenance are happening?

(edited)

To be fair, if the second curse brought David back as sheriff (which seems likely--it's not going to bring him back as a deputy when there's no actual sheriff, that makes no sense), he's not usurping anything. If anyone in 3B was overstepping, it actually may have been Emma, since she didn't have an appointed position in nu!Storybrooke.

There may be a power struggle coming up in season 4 if Emma wants her old job back and her dad is in place as the sheriff.

I doubt that would happen--I don't think it's going to be an issue going forward. For all that Emma yapped and yapped about law enforcement not being a family business in 2x10, it's clear that Snow/Charming/Emma have become the town's police force, and all regard each other as equals. David's going to defer to his baby girl regardless of official titles. :)

Edited by stealinghome

It does seem that Hook can get his hands on a magic bean whenever he really needs one.

He has used no fewer than 4 (1 to Neverland the first time, one to Storybrooke with Cora, one back to Neverland to save Henry and one to get to New York to save Emma) to travel realms. Far more than any other character.

Maybe Hook's magic ability is finding beans?

• Love 1
(edited)

Now I have this mental image of the Charmings slapping a collar and leash on Hook and making him sniff around for beans the way truffle hogs hunt for truffles!

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2
(edited)

The only way I can even try to plug the gaping plot hole that is the plethora of magic beans seemingly available to any random pirate who passes through is to go with the idea that Rumpel just can't live without magic and thus, was willing to spend centuries working on a scheme that would get him to Bae and still allow him to have magic. Beans don't allow for that, so he looked for some other method. The guy's immortal, so I guess he's not worried about time...

The rules of the new curse and Storybrooke were so badly addressed that I just try to avoid thinking about it. Robin and his Merry Men were stuck living in the woods because why? They don't qualify for housing like everyone else? It can't be that new people didn't get housing because Zelena conveniently got a very secluded house with a storm cellar - in Maine no less - even though she had no control over the curse. Mary Margaret is apparently no longer a schoolteacher, but Regina is still mayor? New people didn't get false memories, so the town line is no longer a thing? Or is it still a thing for original Storybrookers, but all new people can come and go as they please? Why wasn't there a mad rush out of town the second Zelena was defeated?

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 2

Robin and his Merry Men were stuck living in the woods because why? They don't qualify for housing like everyone else?

LOL. The Curse deemed them the hobos living by the river?

More questions from 3B:

- What happened to Zelena's magic slippers?

- Where was Zelena during the 28 Curse Years? Adam said she was in a "protective bubble" but didn't specify where/how.

- Who was Zelena's favorite Flying Monkey in Storybrooke that she called Beautiful One?

- Does anyone take Night Root and it actually helps them?

Basically, he waited for Dark Curse 2.0 to unlock the door and then he snuck in behind everyone else.

Thank you! I have to admit, I didn't watch every golden moment of the finale. :-)

(Of course, as with everything on the show lately, answers like that just bring up more questions: starting with "how would Hook know that 2.0 - something that had never been tried before - would unlock the door? Wild-ass guess?")

Some other open questions:

- Hook used beans to get around, as daxx notes, four times. But how did he get out of Neverland? No sign there were ever any beans there. Based on what we saw of Neverland-style inter-realm travel, the Shadow was pretty much the only way the (non-magical) Hook and Smee could have ridden the JR to the EF - but Hook vehemently pooh-pooed Neal's plan to us it to escape?

- Did Hook actually have a plan to get them out of Neverland when they found Henry, or did he expect it was a one-trip? Even post-suicidal emoRumple didn't seem to have thought it through.

- How did the Darling Hipsters track Henry to Boston? How did they know that was the baby they wanted? Did Pan keep track of Neal all those years in expectation that he'd father the Truest Believer...and if so, did that play into the 100,000-thousand dollar question of what August told Neal that spooked him enough to abandon Emma forever?

- Neal. Lived in Neverland 100+ years. Came to this world still a child. Very different world than Edwardian London. How did he survive all that? How did he choose the name "Neal Cassidy"? What was he doing for a living when they found him in "Manhattan"?

- As with Walsh being sent by Zelena to keep tabs on Emma, Tamara was sent by Pan to keep tabs on Neal...and, as with Emma, why? Why bother? Even if Neal had dropped everything and gone to Storybrooke when he got the postcard, so what? He had no way of knowing Pan was looking for Henry. Tamara didn't need him to bring her to SB once the barrier was broken.

- How did Hook find Rumpel in NYC?

- How did Jefferson know Belle was locked in Regina's hospital  dungeon? How did he know who she was to Gold?

- Are Sydney and the others still locked awy down there?

- How did Smee end up in Storybrooke?

- "I know you're Baelfire" may be a lame reveal, but more important, it's inexplicable.

- How did August know about the Dark One's dagger, right down to the highly specific line drawing? Neal wanted to avoid his father, but it doesn't seem like he would divulge information that would put him in danger.

- Both Rumpel and Henry were put in Pandora's Box, a box containing the world's darkest evils. Shouldn't that have some effect on them? Or at least warrent a couple lines of dialog about what it was like in there?

• Love 2

Hook used beans to get around, as daxx notes, four times. But how did he get out of Neverland?

Hook made a deal with Pan to get out. That's why he was working for him. How isn't made clear, but it was definitely facilitated by Pan.

How did Smee end up in Storybrooke?

Smee was taken by the curse both times. Hook didn't go with his crew the first time because he was with Cora in the bubble and the second time, he ditched his crew when he got the message to save Emma and took off to get outside the curse's reach.

I have some other questions:

- What happened to the rest of the Oz Boob Witch Guild?

- What exactly were Zelena's directives to Walsh?

- How did Emma's stuff transfer back to Storybrooke? The black leather jacket she wore in 3.13 & 3.14 was the same as she had in Season 1 and she did not have time to pack in "Going Home". Did the blue jacket survive? If so, can I have it?

- Where is the Black Fairy?

- How did Snow get black fairy dust?

- Where is King Midas? If he left Storybrooke, would he be cured of his gold problem? 

- What the hell was Tamara's story?

• Love 1
(edited)

I've always wondered if Hook actually spent any kind of time in our world and if he wasn't schooled here like his actual real counterpart James Hook and then went back to his realm. 

- Where is the Black Fairy?

Up you one on this one.  Is the Black Fairy Maleficent?   And is her "spirit" or whatever that was that Regina sent Hook to still roaming under Storybrook?  How does Hook know her? Always thought it was interesting that Emma and Hook fought her on separate occasions.

Also...is the Black Fairy the one who makes dark fairy dust?

Edited by YaddaYadda
(edited)

Where did Mulan go? If she supposedly joined the Merry Men, she should be in Storybrooke. 

(I know the actress wasn't available, I just think this needs a better explanation in the canon... similar to Red's absence)

With all these homeless fairy tale characters, Granny's bed and breakfast must be booming with business. She's got to have no vacancy all the time!

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

The only way I can even try to plug the gaping plot hole that is the plethora of magic beans seemingly available to any random pirate who passes through is to go with the idea that Rumpel just can't live without magic and thus, was willing to spend centuries working on a scheme that would get him to Bae and still allow him to have magic. Beans don't allow for that, so he looked for some other method. The guy's immortal, so I guess he's not worried about time...

Rumpel is immortal and didn't have to sweat spending time on his schemes, but what made him think Bae wouldn't have lived and died a normal human lifespan?  Was that addressed and I missed it?  Because that's pretty gaping as far as logic missteps go.  He should have had some time pressure unless he was positive that Bae was in suspended time somewhere.

• Love 1

Rumpel is immortal and didn't have to sweat spending time on his schemes, but what made him think Bae wouldn't have lived and died a normal human lifespan?  Was that addressed and I missed it?  Because that's pretty gaping as far as logic missteps go.  He should have had some time pressure unless he was positive that Bae was in suspended time somewhere.

Oh that is such an awesome point!!

This thread only serves to show all the massive holes this show has in it.  I'm sure the Jolly Roger can sail through them without trouble.  Just because...

• Love 2

I just assumed Rumple had some kind of blood magic that indicated Bae was still alive. Then again, the seer did say he would be led to his son by a young boy, which insured his son would still be kicking by the time he got to him.

Then again, the seer did say he would be led to his son by a young boy, which insured his son would still be kicking by the time he got to him.

I felt like that was the show's last noticeable attempt to really fill in a plot hole within the show itself (Adam making pronouncements from the Twitter mount or in interviews drives me up the fracking wall). The seer's prophecy that he'd see Bae again and he find him because of the curse was a blatant attempt to paper over some of the holes that had opened up over S2, including how he didn't notice the giant freaking beanstalk in the middle of his homeland. He knew it was going to happen and happen in a specific way, so he didn't look for other ways...except the times he did look for other ways.

Cherish that moment. Now that they're trying to shove 22 pounds of story into an 11-pound sack, these sorts of explanations are going to be fewer and futher between. 

So I've been reading a lot of future fics lately where everyone ends up in the Enchanted Forest happily ever after and it got me remembering that I always thought the show would end with Storybrooke being a gateway of sorts to the Enchanted Forest and they could travel back and forth willy nilly. And all because of that early season one episode where the mine collapsed. There was that shot at the end that went down the mine shaft and showed the Enchanted Forest, yes? (I don't think I made it up, but it happens) Anyway, my question is: what the heck was that about?

There was that shot at the end that went down the mine shaft and showed the Enchanted Forest, yes? (I don't think I made it up, but it happens) Anyway, my question is: what the heck was that about?

I think it showed that Snow's coffin was down there.  At the time, it made viewers think Storybrooke is on top of the Enchanted Forest, but it was just Snow's coffin in Maleficient's lair.

(edited)
Does that mean that random things ended up underground in Storybrooke, courtesy of the curse?  I didn't know what to make of that.

I am assuming it was just a mis-direct to make viewers wonder (typical "Lost" technique).  That was really early in the show's run likely before the writers plotted the particulars.

In Season 2, they "reveal" that Regina hid the fail-safe diamond in Snow's coffin, so maybe Regina placed it there and then had the Maleficient Dragon/Animated skeleton protect it?   Or the Curse randomly just put the Coffin there, and Regina used it?  I doubt there's any rhyme or reason.  I suppose Regina could have chosen that object since it had special significance for Snow/Charming and she placed the destruction device in there for irony?

Edited by Camera One
Does that mean that random things ended up underground in Storybrooke, courtesy of the curse?

Well, random things ended up in Gold's shop, courtesy of the curse, so why not more underground?

I'm still trying to figure out how Eric's cloak ended up there, when both Eric and Ariel (who was wearing it) were outside the curse. And then there's Hook's spyglass, when he was outside the curse.

(edited)
I'm still trying to figure out how Eric's cloak ended up there, when both Eric and Ariel (who was wearing it) were outside the curse. And then there's Hook's spyglass, when he was outside the curse.

I wonder if the Cloak is a continuity error.  Or Zelena magicked up a fake Cloak.  I guess Ariel could have left it at the Castle when she went to search for Eric.. ditto for Hook's spyglass, which was left in the Enchanted Forest for some reason.

Edited by Camera One
Or Zelena magicked up a fake Cloak.

That's a possibility. After all, it didn't have to fool real Ariel or Eric. It just had to be close enough to catch Hook's eye, and then Zelena could identify it as Eric's cloak.

With the spyglass, I suppose it's entirely possible that a member of Hook's crew had it when he ditched them and they got caught up in the curse. But still, it seems like the kind of thing he usually keeps on his person in all those TARDIS-like pockets in his coat (along with the fake hand and any other attachments).

Why was Zelena's weakness light magic?  It can't be that light magic is always stronger than dark magic, otherwise the fairies would have taken out Rumple and Regina a long time ago. What is the logic behind that? That weakness just kind of poofed out of nowhere. 

Why was Zelena's weakness light magic?  It can't be that light magic is always stronger than dark magic, otherwise the fairies would have taken out Rumple and Regina a long time ago. What is the logic behind that? That weakness just kind of poofed out of nowhere. 

Replying in Magic Thread.

This question's been bothering me since season 1, I don't know if it's already been answered. Why did Rumple want Cinderella's baby? Was it just because he knew that's how he'd be imprisoned? If so, why did he want it in Storybrooke too? Just so Emma would owe him a favor?

I know it was honoring the original story, but I don't think he actually wanted a baby and he didn't need it to find Neal either so was it all just manipulation?

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think those have been answered directly, so those guesses are probably it.  The episode was written really early on, so maybe the showrunners hadn't yet decided on Rumple's actual motivations, so they stuck with the original story Rumple wanting first-borns.  That flashback took place within the year of the Curse being enacted, so it was unlikely that he would need Cinderella and Thomas's baby for the Curse, since the Snow/Charming manipulations had already been put into motion long before.

Edited by Camera One

This question's been bothering me since season 1, I don't know if it's already been answered. Why did Rumple want Cinderella's baby? Was it just because he knew that's how he'd be imprisoned? If so, why did he want it in Storybrooke too? Just so Emma would owe him a favor?

I know it was honoring the original story, but I don't think he actually wanted a baby and he didn't need it to find Neal either so was it all just manipulation?

Maybe there's all sorts of creepy spells with baby ingredients, or he was planning to sell her to someone, like he sold David's brother James.

(edited)

Yeah, I just kind of assume that Rumpel had a black market side business in babies. Obviously it was a thriving trade in the Enchanted Forest, so!

But I'm also pretty sure he only asked for Cinderella's baby so that he could trick the good guys into catching and imprisoning him, so maybe I'm wrong. Like, obviously he wanted to be locked up when the curse hit--so I assume asking for Cinderella's baby was just his way of getting the ball rolling on his "get myself imprisoned" scheme.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

Conveniently, only Cora had that magic globe thingy, since she gave it to Rumple as a "gift". Now, where the heck she got it from is certainly an unanswered question.

Rumple didn't have the magic globe before the Curse, but he did have the crystal ball that Jefferson brought him from Oz. We know it works from the Enchanted Forest to Neverland because Neal used it in 3.1 to help find Emma. Since Rumple got the crystal ball before Regina became the full on Evil Queen, Bae should have still been in Neverland and Rumple should have been able to find him without casting the Curse or giving up magic. I guess we're supposed to assume that he was too afraid to face Pan.

(edited)

I'd never thought before about it, but the timeline made me wonder--do we have a reasonable estimation about how long Baelfire spent on the Jolly Roger before he rejected Hook and Hook turned him over to Pan?

Edited by Mari
(edited)
I'd never thought before about it, but the timeline made me wonder--do we have a reasonable estimation about how long Baelfire spent on the Jolly Roger before he rejected Hook and Hook turned him over to Pan?

Nothing firm. I feel like they showed it as being a relatively brief interlude, because Bae was still learning about the ship and he and Hook still seemed to be relative strangers. Also, They didn't do anything in 3a to indicate that they interacted after Bae was taken off the JR.

It's pretty amazing that we spent that long in Neverland and we arguably know less about Hook and Nealfire's time there than we did at the start. We don't know how long Hook was there before Bae arrived, we don't know how long either of them were there in total, or anything more than the vaguest idea of what they did during their years there, or when they left, or who left first, or what precipitated each leave-taking. 

Edited by Amerilla
  • Love 3
I feel like they showed it as being a relatively brief interlude, because Bae was still learning about the ship and he and Hook still seemed to be relative strangers.

And yet Neal knew how to pilot a sailing ship from New York to Maine, when all we saw was him being taught port and starboard, so clearly he learned more than we saw at some point, whether before he left the ship in the first place or afterward. There was a deleted scene in which he talked some to Henry about navigation and the math involved, which suggests there were more lessons he got at some other time, and that would fit with the things Hook later tried to teach Henry when helping him learn about his father. Basically, we have a gap of centuries.