Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: The Losses of Magic

Margo is so hot and funny in Queen mode.  Her eye!

One thing I've always like about this show is the intricate hand gestures they have to do in order to do magic.  And I really like it when two people are casting a spell together, and you see them both doing the gestures together.  Really good choreography and fun to watch.

Sure Kady, summon a demon.  Because on this show, summoning things always works out so well.

Oh, Alice.  I was starting to take the lamprey's side when she was talking about how she just enjoyed killing his family.

Penny's dead, Margo's eye is crushed.  One thing about this show, they are all Game of Thronesy with the horrible things happening to our heroes except that they do tend to hit the reset button.  I expect Penny to be alive and Margo to have two eyes next season.

• Love 1

Because summoning a god/demon has always ended so well for people on this show. 

Alice as a niffin was a seriously scary chick. The Lamprey certainly had good reason to be pissed, even if it was pissed at, more or less, the wrong person. I liked seeing Alice's weird parents again. 

Penny is dead...for now. Looks like we get some Penny ghost adventures until they figure something else out. Or before the library reminds him that his unpaid internship of the damned isn't over yet.

Its not every show where you can see a character talking to a living tree that is also a ship about the possibility of the tree/ship being raped by a pirate ship on a magical voyage due to the manipulations of a fairy queen. Nothing quite like Magicians. 

• Love 4

So once again I've stopped the episode because Alice has acquired a kitten.  Dammit; it's even younger than the fluffy blue number from last week.  I'm not going to be happy about this am I?

I hope the actor likes cats though; fun day at work and all.

The look on Margo's face when the mapmaker turned around as King Eliot was priceless!

I was surprised that the creepy demon Kady and Julia summoned turned out to be so agreeable and didn't try to do anything but eat Penny's cancer. They haven't had much luck summoning other beings in the past, so it's nice to know that there are some magical beings and demons out there who aren't total assholes. Don't get me wrong - he was definitely creepy as fuck, but he didn't try any funny business.

After hearing Alice admit that she just killed the lamprey's family because they made pretty lights when they died, it's pretty easy to understand why the lamprey was mad at her. I totally get that it was niffin Alice, not human Alice, who did that, but the lamprey's anger is definitely understandable.

Love that it only took about two seconds for Alice's mom to be absolutely insufferable.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, millahnna said:

So once again I've stopped the episode because Alice has acquired a kitten.  Dammit; it's even younger than the fluffy blue number from last week.  I'm not going to be happy about this am I?

I hope the actor likes cats though; fun day at work and all.

Nothing happens to this cat, I promise!

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

Do you think being dead gets him out of his library contract...Maybe it is a loophole.

I don't remember the exact wording of his contract, but something tells me that the library has an airtight contract that will keep their employees even if they're dead. I don't know how much work Penny can actually do if he is non-corporeal, but I doubt the library will just let him go. They seem like sticklers.

I was yelling at Alice to kill the lamprey after it left her dad's body and she was just standing there staring. KILL IT before it gets away!

My favorite line of the night, from Margo: "I used to think pirates were kind of cute and sexy in a Johnny Depp sort of way, but now I realize they're dirty and fucked up . . . in a Johnny Depp sort of way." LOL!

Ugh, the Lamprey crawling out of Alice's father's mouth was disgusting, but then again so was the demon who pulled the cancer out of Penny's body. This show isn't afraid to be gross, that's for sure.

So, what exactly happened to Eliot and his wife and daughter? Are they hiding behind the magical door? Where does it lead?

This show really hates cats.

• Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:58 PM, Poltargyst said:

One thing I've always like about this show is the intricate hand gestures they have to do in order to do magic.  And I really like it when two people are casting a spell together, and you see them both doing the gestures together.  Really good choreography and fun to watch.

For some reason, I've always hated this.  Probably because everything else I've watched has witches doing incantations.  I much prefer that to the weird contortions that the witches do on this show.

I'm really enjoying this season, though. 

I always thought Margo was going to get her eye back, so it surprised me when she smooshed it.

I don't like this Alice.

5 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I'm really enjoying this season, though

This was the episode where I decided that I’m totally on board with the direction it’s going and how the characters are interacting 

• Love 1

Margo is just such a boss.   It's really easy to see why Elliot named her the Destroyer. I'm just waiting for her to fuck the fairy queen up. 

I'm also of the opinion that the daughter is going to eventually switch to her parents side. 

I just love watching Judith Hoag playing such an awful person,  she's so great. 

I love the hand movements that they use to do spells on the show. In one of the behind the scenes videos, the actor who plays Dean Fogg says that the newer/younger magicians like Quentin need to use specific hand movements to channel magic into action while older/more experienced magicians who have learned how to control their magic and power often don't need any motion in order to do spells, which makes sense to me.

It's similar to economy of motion in dance and sports, but in a magical way. If you tell a little kid or a younger dance student to do a double turn, they wind up their arms and push off the floor really hard. While they're turning you can see the continued effort and when they stop, you can see the sloppiness and flailing because they're not yet fully in control. But then you look at a professional ballet dancer do a perfectly controlled with seemingly no effort and you can see they have learned how to do twice as many turns with a quarter of the effort. Instead of using the big movements of pushing off the floor and winding up their arms to give them inertia, they have learned how to pull up on the supporting leg, spot, and create more motion with less movement.

• Love 4

No wonder Alice turned out the way she did with a mother like that.  Yeesh!  Real shame about her dad.  And definitely feel for the lamphrey.

interesting idea about demons, that they can eat cancer.

Yes, where did Eliot & co. go, where did the door lead?  And what a terrible death for that one guy, by song ear worm.  Fairies are so evil here.

What happens to the pirate's boat?

Margo was really great, with the pirate king, the ship and fairy queen.

• Love 2
On 1/25/2018 at 10:15 AM, iMonrey said:

So, what exactly happened to Eliot and his wife and daughter? Are they hiding behind the magical door? Where does it lead?

I assumed that the door was like all the other Narnia/Fillory doors that magically took them somewhere, not that they were hiding behind it until the pirates went away. 

When Alice killed the Lampray and it made "pretty little lights" and you could see she was totally digging it, that really creeped me out. She is the torturer. 

Margot kicked ass this episode but Julie is still making dumb "demon-raising" decisions.

• Love 2
On 05/02/2018 at 1:38 AM, KaleyFirefly said:

I think the demon was the same guy who played Death on "Supernatural." He's great at scary/creepy characters.

It took me most of the episode to place him.  I love that actor! 

To be fair to Alice, the lamprey lights when it died were rather pretty...

On 1/30/2018 at 3:58 PM, iMonrey said:

But Eliot's not supposed to leave Fillory, right?

I believe when he died, the restriction was lifted. Or when magic ended. SOMETHING in the past two seasons, so many things happened to him I can't keep track.