Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: That'll Be the Day

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

This is what I want to know too.  Many, many people guessed a long time ago that Jack dies in a fire because he runs back in to get Kate's dog.  That theory has been all over social media.  And the producer said that no one has yet guessed what happened.  Maybe it sort-of happens?  Maybe we're being misled and the dog is a red herring? 

Maybe Kate runs back in for the dog.  Jack runs back in for her, but while looking for her, goes the wrong direction and is overcome by smoke, while she and the dog get out fine.  Or, maybe the dog has literally nothing to do with anything, and it's just the fact that Kate owned a dog when Jack died that makes it sad.  Maybe they all get out after the fire, dog included, and then the dog jumps out of Kate's arms and runs across the street, Jack chases him and is hit by a car.  

Audio is too freaking adorable. I wanted to scoop him up and shower him with kisses.

The conversation between Randall and Kevin about Jack being gone longer than they had him -- gah! That was a huge thing for me after my father's death (he died when I was 15). And then again when I turned 39 (my dad died when he was 38). And so on... 

I watched the end of the episode, but couldn't stomach watching the preview. For the most part, this show doesn't make me overly emotional, but Jack's death may be the one thing that does, only because of my experience of losing a parent at a young age. I feel like the writers have done a somewhat decent job with how the kids deal with it. It is hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it. 

• Love 2

Question! I'm under the impression that the family dog was the one Jack and Rebecca found on the "date night" when they had their big talk. However, last night Kate mentioned they got the dog when "he showed up at our front door." Can someone set me straight on this? Did Jack tell the kids a different story about finding the dog?

2 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Question! I'm under the impression that the family dog was the one Jack and Rebecca found on the "date night" when they had their big talk. However, last night Kate mentioned they got the dog when "he showed up at our front door." Can someone set me straight on this? Did Jack tell the kids a different story about finding the dog?

I'm guessing Jack sugar coated the story by leaving out the preface "So your mom and I were going to bang in the car."

• Love 2
9 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Since this show isn’t really a “stand alone” kind of show, will putting it after the Super Bowl really attract new viewers if they don’t have any back story as to what’s going on?

It can. Although it’ll be full of spoilers, which sucks. 

My first time watching Grey’s Anatomy was the Super Bowl episode—the one with the bomb inside the Civil War reenactor. Even though I didn’t know any of the characters, I really enjoyed it. It inspired me and the hubby to go back and binge-watch the entire show. 

10 hours ago, mojoween said:

As I sat watching with my darling cat who we rescued from under a park bench three years ago, I don’t know if I’ve ever been more gutted than when Kate walked away from Audio.  I would have stopped watching this show forever if she didn’t go back for him.

Same here. And I love dogs, but I’m not one of those viewers who gets more upset when a pet dies than when a child dies. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Anela said:

When I got old enough not to sleep with my stuffed animals anymore, I put my two favorite ones in my little kiddie plastic shopping cart by my bedroom door so that in case of a fire, I could grab them on my way out. Yup, serious

I've been the same way since I was six.  My mother gave me her old baby buggy and, before bed I would put all my dolls and stuffed animals in it, ready for a quick evacuation.  These days, my dog sleeps in the bed with me.

I know George meant well, or maybe he just over-valued his stuff,  but he makes me mad, as do all the people who put their old crock pots on e-bay this morning.  If your electrical appliance has a faulty switch or shoots sparks, don't give it to someone, or only use it when you're home, (how did that work for Jack?) throw it in the trash.  Why would you give a fire hazard to a soon-to-be busy young mother, George? It's all small appliances.  A few years ago it was a hot plate in Brooklyn that killed seven children.

Seriously?  I'm going to have to sit through another Tom Brady win and then watch Jack die?  Worst.night.ever.

That was kind of boring until the end.  Unplug, people!!  (I've never trusted my (nearly 38yo crockpot.  I never leave it untended.)

Yeah, a party in the woods in February.  In Pittsburgh.  Mmm, no.

I did laugh at the ladies watching the Manny with a sledgehammer.  (Reminded me of when we moms used to hang around our little boys' football practice and watched their coach who was a fireman.)

Edited by Haleth

I've never cared about how Jack dies but even so the episode tore me up and I moped around for the rest of the night.  Interestingly just yesterday a coworker mentioned never ever leaving his crockpot turned on when he's not at home.

Audio is the cutest TV dog since Eddie on "Frasier."  I actually yelled "don't do it!" when Kate started talking herself out of adopting the dog and left the shelter.

Not a football fan and I don't have a DVR so I guess I'll wait for the next episode to appear on demand.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, elle said:

We all know there is no reason for the show to be aired after the Super Bowl.  It could wait until the usual time on Tuesday.  Just more emotional manipulation.

There are sound-enough programming and marketing reasons. February is sweeps month; Jack never walked under any ladders during November, February or May. The show won't be aired from February 9 - 25, while NBC is televising the Olympics. During February sweeps, NBC is looking to do a Secretariat's-Belmont among broadcast networks: night by night, week by week, with its episodic series programming as well as sports (Super Bowl and the Olympics). 

This programming scheme also brings viewers the relief of a follow-up episode within 48 hours.

• Love 1

I don't know how Beth puts up with Randall.  The way he took over the meeting, railroaded her expertise, and made all kinds of unrealistic promises to the tenants was terrible. This is supposed to be his new business, but he's showing zero business sense, just emotion.

The fire interspersed with the house scenes was surprisingly emotional given the predictability.

I'm so happy Kevin got his necklace back.  When he marked off "Dad" on his amends list, it was a powerful moment.

8 minutes ago, Pallas said:

We all know there is no reason for the show to be aired after the Super Bowl.  

The network hosting the SB normally wants to get a show that is hugely popular even more viewers (Friends), a show that could use a major boost (Alias) or some...for no reason (Elementary.)  While some of NBC shows could have used the help (I think Timeless would have been benefited), This Is Us is bringing in the viewers, and picking up awards AND at this point, is actually tied to the Super Bowl in some capacity.  I think the only thing NBC and the show could have wished for is the Steelers making it in this year. 

• Love 3

Re: Jack's note to Kevin.  We saw it burn.  Kevin never saw it.  Jack is dead and can't tell anyone.  So exactly who's point of view is being shown?  I guess I have always wondered about this for the flashbacks in the show in general.  I have to conclude from this that it's an omniscient narrator, and we are not seeing a mash-up of everybody's memories. 

9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

That fire went up so fast, it looked terrifying. What an awful way to die. Poor, poor Jack. He just wanted to watch the Super Bowl with his family damn it! I agree that Jack will go back in to get the dog, and die in the fire. Kate will freak out about the dog, Jack will run in, he will die, and the dog will get out on its own or show up afterwards. It would pretty much explain everything we`ve seen so far, especially with Kate and her guilt. 

Property Brothers, Pearson Edition! I laughed at all the ladies watching Kevin work on the door, including one lady recording on her cell! Also, more slow motion of Kevin and Randall walking in slow motion without sleeves please? Its like they knew the whole episode was going to be utterly heartbreaking, so they decided to open with some brotherly bonding and fanservice. 

So glad Kevin got his necklace back. I liked Sophie alright, but I think it would be best if they didn't get together again. Maybe Kevin should get back with Sloan. I liked Sloan.  I just wish he had seen the note Jack left him. Or gotten to talk to him that last night! 

So glad Kate went back to get the rescue pup! Audio is totally adorable. Because thats what I think this emotional rollercoaster of a show needed. Rescue puppies! Because I haven't cried ENOUGH over this freaking show, lets add rescue dogs to the mix!

Death to crock pots!

Sterling K. Brown and Justin Hartley have fantastic bodies. And Randall is nerd hot, which is one of my favorite kinds of hot. That slow motion walk with the sledgehammer was like, HELLO! And Jaleesa from A Different World just sitting back drinking her tea was great. I'm glad we get more of her and Garrett Morris, and I hope there's more Lena Waithe (although I doubt it, but it was fun seeing her).

Kevin needs to stay single and celibate for a while. I think it's advised not to get in a serious relationship your first year in recovery, and Kevin has been making shitty choices with women and/or treating them badly. He needs to get his house in order. Sad for him that he lost Sophie, but it's right. I'm very glad he got his necklace back - that was good of the doctor. (My parents would not have let me spend the night at my boyfriend's house in high school, whether or not his parents were home. I wouldn't have even asked, let alone flippantly TOLD them that's what I'd be doing.)

I already know I’m not watching this after the Super Bowl, one because it’ll be late and two because my Eagles are playing and if they lose I’ll be mad, and that’s enough emotion for one evening.

I use my crock pot all the time! I don’t leave it plugged in (I have limited counter space so it gets put away when I’m not using it. The only counter appliances that live on the counter permanently are the coffee maker and toaster, and only the coffee maker stays plugged in), but I definitely have used it unattended. That’s the point of them! Mine isn’t 19 years old though!

Unpopular opinion: I have always hated Titanic. I was a teen when it came out (teen Kate's spaghetti strap dresses are so right!) and saw it in the theater with everybody else in the country; I still hated it. My Heart Will Go On is a terrible, terrible song.

"Everything OK in Rome, Caesar?" I fell out. I love Beth.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, InsertWordHere said:
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Betty Crocker has to be pisssssseeeeed. I won't be surprised if they yank any sponsorship or further product placement on the show.

Just wait till the future episode when a distraught Kate tells a Bed Bath and Beyond employee all about why she has to return the crock pot from her wedding registry because a crock pot killed her father. BB&B employee will be an expert on crock pots and explain all the new safety features modern slow cookers have over the ones from 40+ years ago. Kate will return home trusting in slow cookers again and lose weight through meal prep. Maybe she’ll name her next pet Betty. 

Sorry, gotta be the Debbie Downer nitpicker here, but Betty Crocker has nothing to do with crock pots (aside from having slow cooker recipes).

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/12/what-is-a-crock-pot_n_6443398.html

• Love 2

It could be a misdirect but the fact that Kate has such a visceral feeling when it comes to dogs highly suggests that her pup is connected to Jack's death.

Man, it's a good thing Kevin was out of the house.  Imagine trying to escape on crutches!

I agree the three teenage actors are outstanding.  I totally saw older Kevin in the 17yo Kevin.

Unplugging my toaster now.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Wow, Rebecca is a pretty lenient parent if she was totally fine with Kevin spending the night at his girlfriend's house when they're still in high school. I'm trying to imagine my parents' reaction if I had told them, "I'm just going to spend the night at my boyfriend's house," when I was in high school.

And on a school night!! 

Justin Hartley killed me in the necklace/list scene. He has been the weakest link for me, acting-wise, but he sold the fuck out of that scene. 

26 minutes ago, deaja said:

I'm so happy Kevin got his necklace back.  When he marked off "Dad" on his amends list, it was a powerful moment.

The gut-wrenching thing about this scene was that he actually didn't get to mark off Dad, because he'll never get that chance. Sure, he got the necklace back, but he can't make up with his dad before his death. It's a name on the back of his list that he wasn't able to really cross off. 

He marked off Sophie's name after he got the necklace back, though. Even though their amend-making wasn't ideal and their relationship ultimately ended for good, he got to make those amends.

1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

The gut-wrenching thing about this scene was that he actually didn't get to mark off Dad, because he'll never get that chance. Sure, he got the necklace back, but he can't make up with his dad before his death. It's a name on the back of his list that he wasn't able to really cross off. 

He marked off Sophie's name after he got the necklace back, though. Even though their amend-making wasn't ideal and their relationship ultimately ended for good, he got to make those amends.

Ah, I must have missed that. When he pulled out the list, I thought he was going to mark "Charlotte" off (even though she completely took advantage of him, I can see her being on his list) and then I saw "Dad" and assumed he was marking him off.

12 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Sterling K. Brown and Justin Hartley have fantastic bodies. And Randall is nerd hot, which is one of my favorite kinds of hot. That slow motion walk with the sledgehammer was like, HELLO!

They are my new fantasy threesome. It used to be Paul Walker and Tyrese until Paul died and Tyrese got too ignorant for WORDS so no..... Justin and Sterling for the WIN!

(I haven’t even seen the episode yet but this excites me)

After watching this episode, I wish I could hug Kevin.  He has been carrying around guilt over a stupid argument with his father for the last 20 years.  I was fortunate enough to have a final conversation with my dad before he died.  I can't imagine not having that.  The canonization of Saint Jack by the rest of the family must have made this really hard for Kevin as well.  Kevin has to live with his final words to his "perfect" father being an argument.  No wonder he moved across the country from Randall.  Randall gets to have his final day with his father be a good one.

I was also wondering if teen Kevin was clinically depressed and never diagnosed after his injury.  His parents seem to be the ones who believe that a person chooses to be happy or miserable.  I feel teen Kevin could have used some professional help with dealing with his injury.  It must have been really hard to watch Randall get to choose his college, and Kate get moved on to the next round of admissions for her dream school, while Kevin is now looking at community college. 

• Love 1

Given how quickly that fire escalated, Kevin's decision to stay the night at Sofia's house probably saved his life. With his broken leg, I'm not sure if he would have been able to get out of that house quick enough. I wonder if that is playing into some of the guilt he's feeling as well. From the looks of last night's episode, the rest of the family were definitely there when the house went up in flames. Once again, Kevin was the odd man out but in this case, it could have very well saved his life

9 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

Okay, show, I need Kevin to find out what was on that note. I don't care how you do it. I don't care if it's through a medium.

Heh. I agree that one of his siblings may have seen the note that night, after getting up for something. 

I think Jack can't have died in the fire, on the scene. Remember how sad, shocked, but composed Kate, Randall and Miguel were in Miguel's house that night? Kate said "We have to tell Kevin," with a heavy heart, but not despair. No one acted as if they -- the grieving son, daughter, and best friend of a martyred Jack Pearson -- were mounting a party to tell the other young survivor that his father was dead. Perhaps he was, but they didn't know yet. Rebecca was heading home to tell them in person.  

Jack died in the hospital; Rebecca may not have made it to the hospital in time to be with him, after getting Kate and Randall to Miguel's. (Randall in the cabin episode: "My father, dying alone with no one watching..."). My sense is that we'll see Jack okay with that, knowing that his family is safe, and -- like William -- realizing that from this new perspective, there's more, after all: more of the past as well as the future.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Anela said:

Hahahaha, how many people are going to start unplugging their Instant Pots due to this episode?

I basically came to post the same thing.

34 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Property Brothers, Pearson Edition! I laughed at all the ladies watching Kevin work on the door, including one lady recording on her cell!

You know there was a phone tree lighting up that apartment house! "Girl, get over to my place, now. The Manny is knocking down my wall -- and he's not wearing a shirt!"

Beth and Randall continue to be the best thing ever:

R: "I sound smarter when you do me than when I do me."

B: "Yeah, well, that's why it's fun."

Smooth R&B for the win.

40 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

And Jaleesa from A Different World just sitting back drinking her tea was great. I'm glad we get more of her and Garrett Morris,

Me too!  I was excited seeing both Dawnn Lewis and Garrett Morris listed in the opening credits again.

I'm calling it now. Jack does NOT die in the fire. The only basis I have for this is the brief funeral scene we saw last year. I don't remember Kevin on crutches or with a cast and no one was wearing a coat at the cemetery. (although, as pointed out, Pittsburgh seems to have been remarkably warm on Super Sunday in 1998), I think the house burns down and Jack may suffer an injury (burns, smoke inhalation) that ultimately leads to his death, but he doesn't die in the fire.

When Kevin was taking down the wall, I kept thinking " I hope it's not a weight bearing wall." Thanks, Randall, for articulating that. Also, Randall built the house he lives in? Randall has mad construction skilz!

43 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Sterling K. Brown and Justin Hartley have fantastic bodies. And Randall is nerd hot, which is one of my favorite kinds of hot. That slow motion walk with the sledgehammer was like, HELLO! And Jaleesa from A Different World just sitting back drinking her tea was great. I'm glad we get more of her and Garrett Morris, and I hope there's more Lena Waithe (although I doubt it, but it was fun seeing her).

Kevin needs to stay single and celibate for a while. I think it's advised not to get in a serious relationship your first year in recovery, and Kevin has been making shitty choices with women and/or treating them badly. He needs to get his house in order. Sad for him that he lost Sophie, but it's right. I'm very glad he got his necklace back - that was good of the doctor. (My parents would not have let me spend the night at my boyfriend's house in high school, whether or not his parents were home. I wouldn't have even asked, let alone flippantly TOLD them that's what I'd be doing.)

I already know I’m not watching this after the Super Bowl, one because it’ll be late and two because my Eagles are playing and if they lose I’ll be mad, and that’s enough emotion for one evening.

I use my crock pot all the time! I don’t leave it plugged in (I have limited counter space so it gets put away when I’m not using it. The only counter appliances that live on the counter permanently are the coffee maker and toaster, and only the coffee maker stays plugged in), but I definitely have used it unattended. That’s the point of them! Mine isn’t 19 years old though!

Unpopular opinion: I have always hated Titanic. I was a teen when it came out (teen Kate's spaghetti strap dresses are so right!) and saw it in the theater with everybody else in the country; I still hated it. My Heart Will Go On is a terrible, terrible song.

"Everything OK in Rome, Caesar?" I fell out. I love Beth.

I have never liked Beth.  I found her to be rude, sarcastic, judgmental, and just not likable.  I retract it.  That line cracked me up and I have really been warming to her lately.  Love that the writers are giving more dimensions to her character. I think that is making all the difference.

16 minutes ago, ForeverPluto said:

Given how quickly that fire escalated, Kevin's decision to stay the night at Sofia's house probably saved his life. With his broken leg, I'm not sure if he would have been able to get out of that house quick enough. I wonder if that is playing into some of the guilt he's feeling as well. From the looks of last night's episode, the rest of the family were definitely there when the house went up in flames. Once again, Kevin was the odd man out but in this case, it could have very well saved his life

I've wondered the same thing.  I can see him thinking about how he would have died in the fire had he not had a fight with his parents and stayed out all night.  I can see him thinking that if he had been home, maybe he would have caught the fire earlier and his dad would still be around.  I can see him thinking that if he wasn't hurt and was home, maybe he would have saved his dad.  It's the "what ifs" that can drive you crazy and I wonder how much that is coming in to play.

I never saw him cross his dad's name off of his list. That made me wonder if maybe he wasn't considering his anger and outbursts to be part of the pain killers he was on back when he was 17. I wondered if maybe that was when his addiction truly started and he was able to kick it after the fire (maybe sort of a scared straight situation) and that is why he didn't want to start taking pain killers after his injury on set.  Then he did start taking them again and his addiction came back with a vengeance.  

Also, I might be in the minority here, but I'm hoping this isn't the last of Sophie.  I want to know why she didn't want to see Kate at The Manny taping and I think the fact that Kevin is still carrying a torch for her after all this time is important.

14 hours ago, weightyghost said:

I now want to go unplug all my appliances before bed tonight. 

We always unplug our small appliances after every use. That may be why our toaster is now 17 years old. (gonna have a serious think about getting a new one now). Even when I had a slow cooker, I never ran it when I wasn't at home. There are good reasons to be paranoid about these things.

14 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I found myself not caring about George and Sally in the opening, and that certainly changed by the end. Maybe a bitter resentment? Even though it wasn't really their fault.

I didn't know who the heck they were, but they were my husband and me. He's a sentimental pack-rat, and I just want to get one of those large garbage bins and toss everything.

14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Wait, so Randall ditched the SuperBowl to see Titanic...a movie where the main characters name is Jack..."I`ll never let go Jack..."

At which point she immediately let go... ;)

14 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I’m so GLAD Kevin got his necklace back. I’m kinda irratated that he had to send her a letter to get it back, but I’m glad she did the right thing and returned it. I started crying again during this scene.

Since he had her name checked off on his amends list, I assumed he wrote her to make his amends. Before I read the note (that is, when he was looking at the necklace) I wondered how she would know where to send it. 

14 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Great episode but that fire scene was so sad to watch....and I can understand why they waited to show it...as we got attached to Jack...and attached to that house...and all the memories in that house....

I love this show but I don't know if I wanna watch this next ep right before I go to bed...

I did love this episode..especially the Kevin and Randall scenes....

The burning combined with the memories was very moving.  I watch this show first thing in the morning while I exercise, so it never keeps me up. 

13 hours ago, emjohnson03 said:

I subscribe to Spotify's "This is Us" playlist and they released "To Build A Home" on it before the episode aired. I love that track and I was curious if they were going to use it so when I heard it at the end I was like, Oh cue the tears.

A very good choice that's been used in many movies and tv shows but more than perfect here. I always find when music and the visuals are perfectly done it makes for a POWERFUL emotional response and this was so well done. UGH!!! You see this home and watch it all just burn. UGH and more UGH!

I think it's a lovely song, but I thought it was just a touch on the nose. Part of the reason may be that I have closed captioning on, and seeing the lyrics as well as hearing the song is a wee bit heavy handed for me.

Edited by Clanstarling

Justin Hartley killed me in the necklace/list scene. He has been the weakest link for me, acting-wise, but he sold the fuck out of that scene. 

That was a powerful little scene and for me, the most meaningful. I'm really glad he got that necklace back. I hope it helps him stay strong, because I feel like right now, Kevin is one millisecond away from relapsing. He is still really, really vulnerable. I thought it interesting that when he and Randall were in the apartment building, talking to each other right after the tenants had been shuttled over to a hotel, Kevin said that he needed to keep busy so as not to drink. No mention of the pill-taking, but I guess that's assumed to be included.

Agree with those who've mentioned that it's OK that Kevin and Sophie are done. Actions have consequences, and now Kevin is slowly learning that tough lesson. And it was helpful to us viewers to hear Sophie acknowledge out loud that as a nurse, she should've seen what was happening to Kevin at least physically. That was a point that was raised many times - no one seemed to ever notice Kevin's sweaty shakiness.

I am extremely glad that Audio has found his forever home. I am not a Toby fan, but I feel very confident that he will care for and love Audio with every fiber of his being, and the dog deserves nothing less. And that dog! Another casting coup! Could he have been any cuter? Can the casting people for this show be honored on a national level???? 

I look forward to the apartment building renovation. There's a lot of potential there for us as an audience - some interesting characters, and also a way for Randall to honor and to stay connected to William without (hopefully) getting stuck in grief and regret.

I will be missing "the" episode, as I will be on a plane. I know I could ask my family to DVR it, and I know I could watch it online or on demand, but...I think I will likely take a pass. I honestly do not have an interest in knowing the exact moment-by-moment logistics of how Jacks dies (did he go back into the house to rescue dog and/or Kate? did he die afterwards, from injuries sustained?). He ends up dead no matter what, and the minutia of the death will surely be the subject matter of many episodes to come. How he died has never been of interest to me. 

15 minutes ago, Pallas said:

Heh. I agree that one of his siblings may have seen the note that night, after getting up for something. 

I'd hope so, but I'm thinking maybe not. Kevin's room is in the basement and everyone was already upstairs when Jack turned off the crockpot. If someone had noticed the note, they should have noticed the crockpot. Which is why Kevin couldn't cross his dad's name off of his list. He has no idea that his dad had already forgiven him, and he likely never got to apologize in person. 

I'm glad Kate got to make amends with Jack before his death, and I'm glad Randall got a nice conversation before his death, but Kevin likely didn't get that. It's probably why he's so messed up. The guilt never went away for him, and he never properly dealt with it. He ran away, he got married, he avoided talking about Jack altogether, and it really messed him up. Sure, he was a surly teenager who talked back to his parents and was very bitter with his own issues about his placement in the family. But he still loved his family and losing Jack before fixing that relationship really messed with him. 

Even if Kevin got to see Jack before his death in the hospital, if Jack didn't die outright in the house, it seems like Jack never regained consciousness long enough for Kevin to apologize. 

• Love 1

Re: Crockpot. We see Jack turn the crockpot off and many wonder why Rebecca didn't turn it off earlier when she emptied it out. My theory is this.  Jack and Rebecca abandoned their "party" for the bedroom. Jack comes back later to clean up. He is the one who turns off the crockpot and empties it out. We didn't see that part, but catch him later, bagging the snacks. Then he notices that the crockpot from hell is on, and switches it off again, thinking that he somehow forgot before.

As for the dog barking to wake them all up, maybe the dog was a George Constanza dog, and smelled the smoke and decided to get the hell out of Dodge! Leaving Kate to hate all dogs until she meets Audio.   I think I'm kidding here. 

The amends list we see is definitely Kevin's and Dad is the last name on it. He wrote it on the back, probably because he knew it was not going to be possible. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, izabella said:

I don't remember when Jack put the note on Kevin's door.  Was it before he talked to Randall and cleaned the kitchen or after?  Because if he did it before, there's a chance that Randall may have seen the note and could tell Kevin what it said.  But he'd have to have gone to the basement, which he wouldn't have had a reason to do, so, probably not, I guess.  Unless the note was on the door leading to the basement, which could have been on the way to Randall's room...

Loved Toby, Kate and the dog. 

It was after. He wrote it on the kitchen counter after it was clean.

Just for posterity:

dad.JPG

I went to bed totally believing Jack goes back in for the dog, but woke up believing it's another red herring. I believe the dog is involved, because Kate's PTSD over having another dog is just too traumatic otherwise, but I have to think that it's Kate who runs in and Jack is overcome in saving her. As someone mentioned up-thread, it would certainly help to explain Jack's 'saint' status beyond just dying young.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Wow, Rebecca is a pretty lenient parent if she was totally fine with Kevin spending the night at his girlfriend's house when they're still in high school. I'm trying to imagine my parents' reaction if I had told them, "I'm just going to spend the night at my boyfriend's house," when I was in high school.

They are still in high-school, but they are also seventeen-almost-eighteen years old, so in Kate's case, going out on a school night is not so inconceivable, and Kevin -- it seems they have been friends since they were kids (Kate and Sophie first) so I imagine the families are friends and it wouldn't be a big deal for Kevin to sleep on their couch.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I went to bed totally believing Jack goes back in for the dog, but woke up believing it's another red herring. I believe the dog is involved, because Kate's PTSD over having another dog is just too traumatic otherwise, but I have to think that it's Kate who runs in and Jack is overcome in saving her. As someone mentioned up-thread, it would certainly help to explain Jack's 'saint' status beyond just dying young.

I agree. I did notice last night that there was a lot of emphasis on that audition tape. It makes me wonder if it's the tape rather than the dog that someone went back in to get. I wouldn't be surprised if Kate went back in the house or even stayed in her room a little too long trying to retrieve that tape and Jack ended up dying trying to save Kate. 

• Love 1

Well, Jack went out with a bang! That will be among her last memories of him! Makes it even harder for me to believe Miguel ever had a chance.

As soon as I heard Randall say Titanic, I immediately said "Jack". Nice set up by them. And, apropos of nothing, John Elway got his first Super Bowl win in that game and his father's name was Jack and was his football coach, mentor etc-yeah, I am just full of useless information.

Yeah, Chrissy Metz has her Emmy episode set.

2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I know George meant well, or maybe he just over-valued his stuff,  but he makes me mad, as do all the people who put their old crock pots on e-bay this morning.  If your electrical appliance has a faulty switch or shoots sparks, don't give it to someone, or only use it when you're home, (how did that work for Jack?) throw it in the trash.  Why would you give a fire hazard to a soon-to-be busy young mother, George? It's all small appliances.  A few years ago it was a hot plate in Brooklyn that killed seven children.

Yes!  Certainly there are more believable fire scenarios.  

52 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

Re: Crockpot. We see Jack turn the crockpot off and many wonder why Rebecca didn't turn it off earlier when she emptied it out. My theory is this.  Jack and Rebecca abandoned their "party" for the bedroom. Jack comes back later to clean up. He is the one who turns off the crockpot and empties it out. We didn't see that part, but catch him later, bagging the snacks. Then he notices that the crockpot from hell is on, and switches it off again, thinking that he somehow forgot before.

Wasn't it Randall that turned the crockpot back on?  When Jack comes into the kitchen, Randall is standing by the crockpot, eating something out of a bowl.  So my guess is that Rebecca did turn the crockpot off but that Randall turned it back on the reheat the chili for a late night snack.  

And this just occurred to me but is the red-haired girl that teenage Randall is dating (can't remember her name) going to be Miguel's daughter?  Because in the scene where Kate and Randall are sitting on Miguel's couch post-fire, that girl is there.  If she and Randall had been dating a long time, I could see him calling her right after and her rushing over even if it is midnight on a school night but if they've only gone on one actual date?  That just doesn't seem right.  If she's Miguel's daughter though, then she already would have been at his house and would have been woken up by all the commotion.  I'm kind of hoping this is the case, for no other reason then it could lead to a deliciously awkward Thanksgiving episode where Randall has to spend the day with his ex-girlfriend because Rebecca and Miguel are hosting all their kids for the holiday.

• Love 1

Oh, I think it's absolutely believable -- because people actually do exactly this. (I knew forgetting the batteries for the smoke detector would come back.)

ETA: Jack turns the crockpot off -- but after we see George's warning about the fussy switch, we cut back to the darkened kitchen, and the thing flicks on again.

Edited by Sandman
Out, out, damned pot!
  • Love 1

I can totally see airing an episode post-Superbowl in order to gain more viewers, but man, airing this episode? The one that (presumably) will spoiler the thing that every episode to this point has been leading to? Kinda sucks for that new viewer who wants to catch up, lol.

12 hours ago, Trillium said:

The three teen actors are phenomenal at mimicking their adult counterparts mannerisms, tone, and speech cadence. It’s been said many times but it’s amazing that they found three actors who can do it.

Oh the cloud of doom was heavy. Don’t turn the cork pot off, unplug it!

I agree about the teen actors (the tween actors, to a degree, too) and they're getting better with the mimicking each and every episode. Not overdone or in your face.  Their subtly is resounding. 

13 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

...and that is why I have never owned a crockpot.

I love mine, but I won't leave home with it on, which is what one of the intentions of the appliance is. Plug it in and leave for work, and dinner is done when you get home.  I remember the commercials when my mother bought her first one.  I even asked a fireman about it, and he said that they do it all the time and that they're safe. Nope. I can't. Just like I can't leave home with the dryer running.  I'm actually shocked when I hear that people do this. 

My thought is that they just pissed off a lot of people at Rival and Hamilton Beach, and that the writer of this episode must have stock in Insta Pots, the new "fad," and the complete opposite of a Slow Cooker/Crock Pot. 

I was all set to move Kate below Kevin on my "least favorite Pearson" list when she left that dog (I've volunteered at a no kill animal shelter since 2001).  The scene with Toby and that dog totally redeemed her.  Adorable.  The dog deserves an Emmy for looking so fucking cute, plus licking Toby's face on cue.  And Toby's reaction upon seeing Audio? Total character redemption for me. Dogs make everything better. LOL. 

That said, the DOG had better not be the reason that Jack dies. I'm looking at you, show. 

• Love 2

Just selecting one of the many comments about this.  We all know there is no reason for the show to be aired after the Super Bowl.  It could wait until the usual time on Tuesday.  Just more emotional manipulation.

Next Tuesday is the State of the Union Address, so had it aired at the normal time it would have been on the 6th of February.  We actually get to see it earlier.  Plus, there is a tradition of airing "special" episodes following the Superbowl.  It must work or the networks would abandon the practice.  

Can someone please tell me what the note from Charlotte said?  I was not quick enough to read it.

I will defend poor George.  Given that he was older in 1980, he probably grew up during the Depression.  Those folks kept and reused everything.  The crockpot may have had a wonky switch, but in his mind it was still perfectly usable.  He was just being nice to the young couple across the street.

I will not make any predictions- just watch as it unfolds.  This show loves red herrings too much- I think there will be one or two more before we learn how Jack died.

• Love 2