Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: That'll Be the Day

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Squirrely said:

The dog could have run out and no one knew. So Kate freaked out, thinking the dog is inside. Jack goes in to save it and never makes it out. Dog is found later. That's my guess.

I had a slow cooker shoot sparks at me on Thanksgiving so I decided then I'd never leave one when I'm not home. Gah. How awful. 

That's a good guess.  It all revolves around the dog .

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I thought Kate was shown up in her bedroom, lying there awake, or did I dream that?

I don't know. I thought the note he posted was to Kate, but someone else said it was to Kevin, so now I'm thoroughly confused.

Did the producer lie about never seeing how he dies on the internet? ; )  Maybe not but this scenario was all over the place including FB so time will tell next show.

It does make sense too if Kate sits in the car across the street every year, they were maybe leaving and he went back in but again, another widely talked about plot.

Kevin said to her, he wont come back out. I just want to grab him and make it stop.   : (

Edited by debraran

I am annoyed.  I hate being manipulated.

People have real emotions watching this show, no joke.  So what do they do, put The episode everyone had been waiting for and dreading after the Super Bowl.  Here on the east coast, the Super Bowl could end after 10pm.  Some of us do have to go to work the next day.

I think it’s a cheap shot.  I don’t know if I will continue to watch after Jack’s death (which IMO was a bad idea, but the writers probably didn’t think the show would be this successful).

• Love 2

We use our slow cooker a lot. Fortunately my SO has a fire phobia (and OCD) so we have smoke detectors in every room and the batteries get replaced frequently. That said, our slow cooker will be placed in dry dock for a while.

• Love 1
Just now, ShadowFacts said:
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think there had to be a time lapse because from the preview Kate is home and she wasn't home when he turned it off and went upstairs.  Clearly if the fire had already started, she would have alerted the family instead of just blithely going on up to her room and waiting for it to get worse.  

I thought Kate was shown up in her bedroom, lying there awake, or did I dream that?

Kate was definitely upstairs listening to herself singing and rewinding a certain part over and over.

Just re-set my DVR to tape the show for 3 hours after it ends, overkill yes but taking no chances on missing anything when football runs over (even though I'll never watch it that night and by the next day it'll be on-demand, still, taking no chances on this one).

Kevin was both heartbreaking and eye candy rolled into one episode.  Crying over the necklace (so, so glad he got that back) and the ladies watching him with that sledgehammer.  Also Randall rolling up his sleeve was awesome.

I do think they're most likely building up to Kate thinking the dog is still in the house, Jack tries to get the dog and is killed, Kate realizes the dog got out on its own.  But this show does like to throw its curve balls so if that's wrong I won't be completely surprised.

Need to nitpick one thing - They live in Pennsylvania right?  And that talk with Kate was supposed to be on Superbowl Sunday which is end of January/beginning of February?  I have no problem with lack of coats, we're having a warm spell in the east right now but why in the world were their green leaves all over the trees?

• Love 3
Just now, Jodithgrace said:

Kate was home. Only Kevin was still out and the note Jack left was for him. That's why Dad was the only name left on Kevin's list of amends..because he and his Dad had ended on bad terms. Which explains a lot about Kevin. 

And his mom offered to have him talk to him and he said No...but who can know.

Well, shit.  I've had a running argument going with my mother for the last 20 years about the safety of allowing your crock pot to run unattended.  I have been arguing that it’s perfectly safe; in fact, that’s what it’s made for!  I will literally never hear the end of this.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

People have real emotions watching this show, no joke.  So what do they do, put The episode everyone had been waiting for and dreading after the Super Bowl.  Here on the east coast, the Super Bowl could end after 10pm.  Some of us do have to go to work the next day.

I think it’s a cheap shot.  I don’t know if I will continue to watch after Jack’s death (which IMO was a bad idea, but the writers probably didn’t think the show would be this successful).

I actually can’t wait for Jack’s death so we can finally move past Saint Jack. I wont mind seeing him in flashbacks but let’s move on from this mystery. I want to see the siblings and Rebecca heal and move on. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I So the washing machine and fuse box were misdirects, it's an old crockpot that burned down the house. Do people really keep small kitchen appliances for that long? The Pearsons have had that crockpot for 17 years, and who knows how long the elderly couple has had it before them.

Yup.  We still use hubby’s crockpot from our student days - it’s at least 30years old and may be older.  Still works perfectly, in that way of old appliances that were built to last.  In fact, we used it today.  AND, we both checked to make sure it was turned off and unplugged as soon as the show ended.  Triple-checked. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Jodithgrace said:

Modern crockpots are safe to run unattended. That is what they are designed for. However, an ancient crockpot with a tricky switch is a different story. 

And to be fair, he DID turn it off but it was never meant to really be USED.

Nope, Nope.

I can't imagine what it was like filming that fire,,,,wow.

3 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

I actually can’t wait for Jack’s death so we can finally move past Saint Jack. I wont mind seeing him in flashbacks but let’s move on from this mystery. I want to see the siblings and Rebecca heal and move on. 

That is a good point.  I’m annoyed they’re putting The episode on after the Super Bowl, which will probably begin later than 9pm.  That’s what pisses me off.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

That is a good point.  I’m annoyed they’re putting The episode on after the Super Bowl, which will probably begin later than 9pm.  That’s what pisses me off.

Same here. Why isnt the Super Bowl on a Saturday night again? I’ll be DVRing This is Us.

Edited by SnoGirl
7 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Need to nitpick one thing - They live in Pennsylvania right?  And that talk with Kate was supposed to be on Superbowl Sunday which is end of January/beginning of February?  I have no problem with lack of coats, we're having a warm spell in the east right now but why in the world were their green leaves all over the trees?

Ugh I didn’t even notice that.  The winter of January 1998 was pretty snowy in Central New York and while we get more snow than PA, there should have still been snow on the ground on Super Bowl Sunday and they wouldn’t have been dressed like that outside.  The hazards of filming in California, I guess.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

Modern crockpots are safe to run unattended. That is what they are designed for. However, an ancient crockpot with a tricky switch is a different story. 

IA.  I think that's why they took pains to show how the Pearson's got the Crockpot.  By the time of the fire it was 19 years old.

1 minute ago, CynicalGirl said:

I wouldn't want to own stock in the crockpot parent company right now. 

I was thinking the same thing!  I just looked up #Crockpot on Twitter and people are losing their minds, lol.

• Love 1

Also, something that stood out to me. When Randall and Kevin are talking in the apartment, Randall mentions something about Jack's list of people to make amends to. I don't think we've ever seen that scene happen, so perhaps it's a hint toward Jack surviving long enough to see his kids? 

Though it better not be some stupid fakeout where the doctors say Jack will be fine, only to have him dying later that day.

That fire went up so fast, it looked terrifying. What an awful way to die. Poor, poor Jack. He just wanted to watch the Super Bowl with his family damn it! I agree that Jack will go back in to get the dog, and die in the fire. Kate will freak out about the dog, Jack will run in, he will die, and the dog will get out on its own or show up afterwards. It would pretty much explain everything we`ve seen so far, especially with Kate and her guilt. 

Property Brothers, Pearson Edition! I laughed at all the ladies watching Kevin work on the door, including one lady recording on her cell! Also, more slow motion of Kevin and Randall walking in slow motion without sleeves please? Its like they knew the whole episode was going to be utterly heartbreaking, so they decided to open with some brotherly bonding and fanservice. 

So glad Kevin got his necklace back. I liked Sophie alright, but I think it would be best if they didn't get together again. Maybe Kevin should get back with Sloan. I liked Sloan.  I just wish he had seen the note Jack left him. Or gotten to talk to him that last night! 

So glad Kate went back to get the rescue pup! Audio is totally adorable. Because thats what I think this emotional rollercoaster of a show needed. Rescue puppies! Because I haven't cried ENOUGH over this freaking show, lets add rescue dogs to the mix!

Death to crock pots!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

Great episode but that fire scene was so sad to watch....and I can understand why they waited to show it...as we got attached to Jack...and attached to that house...and all the memories in that house....

I love this show but I don't know if I wanna watch this next ep right before I go to bed...

I did love this episode..especially the Kevin and Randall scenes....

8 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

I agree.  I mostly want them to reveal the whole story re Jack's death just so they can move forward.  I honestly don't care very much how it happened.  He's never been very interesting to me, and I honestly wouldn't miss him if they never showed him again.  (I'm sure they will.)  Jack and Rebecca are the weak links in this show for me.   I far prefer the stories of the siblings, Randall's family, etc.

1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, something that stood out to me. When Randall and Kevin are talking in the apartment, Randall mentions something about Jack's list of people to make amends to. I don't think we've ever seen that scene happen, so perhaps it's a hint toward Jack surviving long enough to see his kids? 

Though it better not be some stupid fakeout where the doctors say Jack will be fine, only to have him dying later that day.

I think we’ll end up seeing a scene with Kevin at Jack’s gravestone. We havent seen it, and I’m assuming jts bc they were trying not to show his deathdate.

1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

The Super Bowl is on Sunday night.

I know. I was lamenting the fact that it was on Sunday, and wondering why Super Bowl couldnt be on Saturday, then we could stay up and watch it without working the next day.

I loved the scene of the older woman watching Kevin. I loved how the woman kept joining in too.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I really hope they don't go this way, although it did cross my mind.  If they're going with the fire for Jack's demise, they need to stick with that, so the Pearsons can move on.  They don't need to have any more mystery surrounding this, Kate's involvement(?) is enough. 

Clearly, it'll be devastating, and I'll be a hot flaming mess, but I would rather get this episode over with.

32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, we know the dog survived, so that doesn't make sense to me.  If you go back in for the dog and that's what kills you, the dog should be dead, too.

Maybe Jack thinks Kate’s dog is inside the house but the dog is already outside.  that would be even more tragic if there was no need to go back in there. Maybe Kate says, “my dog, my dog,  he’s in the house Dad!”  Extra guilt.

I want the lab from the shelter!

Each time we adopted our dogs from the shelter they insisted that they and the dog meet the whole family where the dog would live before they would approve an adoption.  No "look honey, I got a pet!" surprises allowed.

Beth and Randall lookws totally ticked off when Kevin showed up.  You would think that they would appreciate the help and probably did eventually.  Loved the roll of the eyes and head Kevin gave his brother Randall rolling up the shirt sleeve to show off the bicep.

Well there was a sort of a call back of what Jack said to Kevin about reaching for a hammer rather than a drink in something Kevin says to Randall about working at the building.

I did not dislike Sophie.  I did think she should have seen what was happening with Kevin but understand that it was all very complicated.  I think that the love story with her and Kevin, all the "what could have been"s, parallels the story of Jack and Rebecca and is just as tragic.

So the accident happens because Jack is a great guy and cleans up the kitchen.  The crockpot of doom is a gift from the older couple we thought were the ones with the house Jack and Rebecca were going to buy.  And so on.  Does this show love to drip and drop scenes and the switch them up.

Agree with everyone that the dog would have done something in reaction to the fire and smoke. The dog was downstairs!  Why wasn't it with Kate in her room as we saw earlier?  Maybe it did do something and it was Kate herself that her dad went after, based on the preview, she froze and did not run out of the house when she could?

Edited by elle
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ugh I didn’t even notice that.  The winter of January 1998 was pretty snowy in Central New York and while we get more snow than PA, there should have still been snow on the ground on Super Bowl Sunday and they wouldn’t have been dressed like that outside.  The hazards of filming in California, I guess.

THIS!!!

This episode really got me all over. But the nitpicker in me couldn't handle the idea of Pittsburgh (!) in January and Kate and Jack hanging around in just shirts and green leaf trees and I'm pretty sure I even heard birds chirping. IMPOSSIBLE. 

But at the same time, there was a really palpable Angela Chase-talking-to-her-dad vibe (a show also set in Pittsburgh at the exact same time period) and so I got over it quick. 

In other non-plot critical commentary: I turned to my mother in law (who I was watching with) and said "OMG I watched Titanic with my high school boyfriend 6 times. That is REAL"

• Love 3

I subscribe to Spotify's "This is Us" playlist and they released "To Build A Home" on it before the episode aired. I love that track and I was curious if they were going to use it so when I heard it at the end I was like, Oh cue the tears.

A very good choice that's been used in many movies and tv shows but more than perfect here. I always find when music and the visuals are perfectly done it makes for a POWERFUL emotional response and this was so well done. UGH!!! You see this home and watch it all just burn. UGH and more UGH!

7 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Jack has been dead the whole time, and Milo has said in many an interview that he knew his character was dead in present day when he was hired, I think the show is dragging this out, but that is the nature of the business. I do feel sorry for those on the east coast. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Not to mention that if you live in the winner’s market (::coughPhiladelphiacough:: ::waves little Eagles flag::), isn’t there a good chance of the show being pre-empted by local news coverage? That happened on Sunday when the Eagles won, and I missed the first 40 minutes of the premiere of The Resident.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 1

Did anyone else, when the old guy arrived so happy to deliver the crock pot that would bring on the fate of this family before the children were even born/adopted, think OMFG GET YOUR DEVIL CROCK POT AWAY! YOU HAVE CURSED THIS FAMILY!" 

Asking for a friend. 

Edited by MelGoLightly
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, debraran said:

Did the producer lie about never seeing how he dies on the internet? ; ) 

This is what I want to know too.  Many, many people guessed a long time ago that Jack dies in a fire because he runs back in to get Kate's dog.  That theory has been all over social media.  And the producer said that no one has yet guessed what happened.  Maybe it sort-of happens?  Maybe we're being misled and the dog is a red herring? 

By having Kate "go back" to get the dog she got for Toby, it certainly seemed to be a heavy hint in that same direction.  Clearly there are missing pieces here, but I'm going to be annoyed if it turns out that something that's been talked about quite a lot ends up being the real story.  For me, that would be a big letdown.  I'm hoping things are nowhere near as obvious as they currently appear.

• Love 2

In other news, I'm in Philadelphia and I can tell you right now that I won't be able to get to a quiet place to fully be able to watch the next episode airing immediately after the game. Not. cool. 

I'm going to have to zone out until the following night or maybe Tuesday. Ugh. 

Charlotte!  I may have been harder on you than anyone here, but all is forgiven.  Classy note; classy gesture.  For those among us who cling to such things: thanks for sending the necklace back.

That look on Justin's face, after Kevin said to Sophie, You're not just a name on a list.  I somehow felt in that moment, I was seeing all the way through him.  And later, when he flipped the page over, and "Dad" was there at the top, I was shocked at the wave that hit me.

Don't know that I can watch the next episode.  Don't know that I want to.

• Love 3

I distinctly remember The Titanic in movie theaters in 1998 because that is the year I bought my house.  If the kids are 40 now, that means they were 20 when Jack died. We know they were still in high school.  C'mon writers, get your research together.  

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

actually can’t wait for Jack’s death so we can finally move past Saint Jack. I wont mind seeing him in flashbacks but let’s move on from this mystery. I want to see the siblings and Rebecca heal and move on. 

Agreed. Can’t come soon enough for me otherwise I may just give up on the show. I don’t hate Jack, in fact find him about as interesting as all the other characters. I am getting extremely tired of the emotional manipulation and the endless, drawn out story of Jack’s death. 

2 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I distinctly remember The Titanic in movie theaters in 1998 because that is the year I bought my house.  If the kids are 40 now, that means they were 20 when Jack died. We know they were still in high school.  C'mon writers, get your research together.  

Randall said he's almost 40. They're 37. Titanic came out late in 1997, when they were 17.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, DebbieM4 said:

This is what I want to know too.  Many, many people guessed a long time ago that Jack dies in a fire because he runs back in to get Kate's dog.  That theory has been all over social media.  And the producer said that no one has yet guessed what happened.  Maybe it sort-of happens?  Maybe we're being misled and the dog is a red herring? 

By having Kate "go back" to get the dog she got for Toby, it certainly seemed to be a heavy hint in that same direction.  Clearly there are missing pieces here, but I'm going to be annoyed if it turns out that something that's been talked about quite a lot ends up being the real story.  For me, that would be a big letdown.  I'm hoping things are nowhere near as obvious as they currently appear.

Maybe the producer meant that nobody guessed that Jack died in a fire that is started by a slow cooker? 

I still think he didn't die directly in the house, but at the hospital later on. And I would not be surprised, though a little pissed, if they went the route of him dying suddenly after seeming to be fine. 

I mean, the issue is that Rebecca had Jack's work journal with the rest of his things in the season premiere flashback, when she drove to see the burnt down house for the first time. That question of how that ended with the rest of his belongings still need to be answered. 

2 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

They’re 37; the show started on their 36th birthday, and I believe there was reference to their 37th. When Randall said he was 40, he was exaggerating.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, MelGoLightly said:

In other news, I'm in Philadelphia and I can tell you right now that I won't be able to get to a quiet place to fully be able to watch the next episode airing immediately after the game. Not. cool. 

I'm going to have to zone out until the following night or maybe Tuesday. Ugh. 

I’m from Philadelphia, too. I was just trying to figure out my contingency plans. When the Eagles win I need to start and end the DVR at the right time. It might night start til 10:00 or 10:30. Between celebrating and watching the coverage of the win I don’t even know if I’ll be able to watch This is Us live or not. The struggle is real. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I just used my crockpot but I never leave it on when I'm working, it's a weekend thing.

I thought he left the note for Kevin and said he loved him and he owed them an apology and something else but I'm sure it burned. It was Kate?

No, it was for Kevin.

1 hour ago, Trillium said:

The three teen actors are phenomenal at mimicking their adult counterparts mannerisms, tone, and speech cadence. It’s been said many times but it’s amazing that they found three actors who can do it.

It's not just the teens mimicking the Big Big Three that blew me away, but when 17-year-old Kevin got snotty about "Kevin's the worst again" or whatever it is he said, I immediately flashed to 8-year-old Kevin going off on his dad at the pool.

Am I the only one who was welling up during the previews for the next episode? Oy. If Jack fought through the fire to save Randall and Kate, honestly, he earned the God-like status he holds with that family.

2 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I’m from Philadelphia, too. I was just trying to figure out my contingency plans. When the Eagles win I need to start and end the DVR at the right time. It might night start til 10:00 or 10:30. Between celebrating and watching the coverage of the win I don’t even know if I’ll be able to watch This is Us live or not. The struggle is real. 

My brain can't actually compute a loss OR win + a major This is Us episode. DOES NOT COMPUTE. I'm not even going to try. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

As I sat watching with my darling cat who we rescued from under a park bench three years ago, I don’t know if I’ve ever been more gutted than when Kate walked away from Audio.  I would have stopped watching this show forever if she didn’t go back for him.

Same! I was literally telling Kate not to break the poor dog's heart. (i also have a rescue which I nearly did not get, but had a change of heart like Kate)

• Love 2