Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: That'll Be the Day

• Start Topic

Just great, the Slow Cooker of Doom. 

Not my favourite episode, but knowing Jack's death is coming up made it hard to watch some of the scenes, especially with Teen Kevin telling Rebecca that he'll talk to his dad in the morning. I knew it was going to be that very night because of Rebecca's outfit, so even though the episode didn't make it outright blatant until the very end, I've been suspecting it all season. Plus, his death coming up just in time for the Superbowl episode! 

• Love 3

I knew I wasn’t ready to see the beginning of the end.  I hope poor George and Sally never knew that it was their slow cooker that did it.

January 25, 1998 was the last Pearson Super Bowl.

As I sat watching with my darling cat who we rescued from under a park bench three years ago, I don’t know if I’ve ever been more gutted than when Kate walked away from Audio.  I would have stopped watching this show forever if she didn’t go back for him.

The humor of the ladies watching The Manny knock down a wall was much appreciated.

When teenage Kate said “thank you!” when Jack kicked Randall out of the bathroom I could imagine it was actually Chrissy standing there.

• Love 7

Clearly the show is preparing me for the WORST so they figured the best distraction is the gratuitous shots of Justin and Sterling doing construction stuff in tank tops and T shirts. 

Mission accomplished. Because I am NOT OK AT THE LAST FIVE MINUTES!

• Love 3

WHY WHY WHY?!

Seriously I thought we'd have to wait til the end of the season for Jack's death. I am not ready for this.

On the positives, I love Audio the dog. So glad Kate changed her mind and gave the little guy a home.

I'm also glad that Kevin got closure with Sophie and his dog tags back.

My friend and I have agreed we're gonna need some wine for the next episode.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I hope poor George and Sally never knew that it was their slow cooker that did it.

Well, they were moving, plus they were kind of old, so 17 years later, they may very well already have been dead.

I loved the scene where Kate told her dad not to stop.  Guess he's going to have to.  

• Love 6

Loved Kevin & Randall: 'dueling Muscles"...both pulling up their sleeves while working on the apartment bldg.  :)  Randall referencing the Property Brothers.  The scene with Kate & Audio had me in tears...that dog deserves an award for that face!

• Love 8

The whole episode. Rebecca and Jack making plans they’ll never get to see. The urgency of time passing and the need to make something of your life. Regret and pain, and love, and healing.

Gah. What an episode.

I’d totally watch the Manny knock down a wall.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I'm kind of surprised the dog didn't act as a smoke detector.  

Me too, mine would have barking and running upstairs.  Maybe he did and then he doesn't get out right away and Jack goes back but that's what everyone thought and they said it wasn't what most people thought. So time will tell

• Love 1

The three teen actors are phenomenal at mimicking their adult counterparts mannerisms, tone, and speech cadence. It’s been said many times but it’s amazing that they found three actors who can do it.

Oh the cloud of doom was heavy. Don’t turn the cork pot off, unplug it!

• Love 11

NOPE I'm not ready to use my slow cooker EVER AGAIN!

Oh I loved the full circle!

Even though the show can lay it on thick with it's messaging it's SO REAL so I don't mind.

Kevin's story still means the most and they really have done alot with it. I loved Audio but in the end Kevin's cross is the biggest to bear and I love they are exploring it and not letting it slide. They are taking the time to flesh out all parts.

And I loved Sophie, because what she said was nothing but beautiful heartbreak. And my niece is the same name so I loved Kevin calls her Soph, that's how we call my niece who is only 11 months.

I feel so much for this family.

AND NEXT WEEK! I'm not ready.

Kate and her dad makes me teary. It just is so well done.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, MizStaken said:

Oh my. That was something. I can’t read well without my glasses, what did the note say that Jack taped to the wall. I don’t know how I’ll watch the next episode. 

Something to the general effect of  "Kate, if I don't see you tonight, hope you had a good time, see you in the morning. Love, Dad."

So many lovely scenes:  Kate realizing how much her Dad loved her and telling her Dad "don't stop".  Tears when Kevin got his Father's necklace back.   The Teen actors are wonderful...I especially like the Teen Kate...

• Love 1

I just used my crockpot but I never leave it on when I'm working, it's a weekend thing.

I thought he left the note for Kevin and said he loved him and he owed them an apology and something else but I'm sure it burned. It was Kate?

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
Just now, weightyghost said:

What was curious was how much time passed between Jack turning off the crock pot and it catching fire. Did he fall asleep that quickly? 

I now want to go unplug all my appliances before bed tonight. 

I think there had to be a time lapse because from the preview Kate is home and she wasn't home when he turned it off and went upstairs.  Clearly if the fire had already started, she would have alerted the family instead of just blithely going on up to her room and waiting for it to get worse.  

Oh, god this show. My soul. It hurts. That preview. Oh God.

How do they keep getting me with the fakeouts? Why do I keep falling for this? First, it's the Crockpot! Oh, wait he turned it off.  And it's like, oh, the old couple is the one selling Jack their house. No, wait, it's 1980 and the Crockpot is well over 18 years old with a broken switch! Dammit! He did the right thing and cleaned up and it still went wrong! It hurt! The last thing he wrote to Kevin burned. The childhood memories burned. 

Can I just replay the shot of the Pearson brothers walking in slow-mo with their biceps showing instead? 

Just now, Katy M said:

Something to the general effect of  "Kate, if I don't see you tonight, hope you had a good time, see you in the morning. Love, Dad."

Kevin.

3 hours ago, MizStaken said:

Oh my. That was something. I can’t read well without my glasses, what did the note say that Jack taped to the wall. I don’t know how I’ll watch the next episode. 

Something about that he loved him but that he (Kevin) stilled owed him an apology

• Love 1

So, I totally teared up at Kevin getting Jack's necklace back. At least that was one good thing to happen to him, even though he can't complete his list of amends. I'm not sure whether this is the end of Sophie, but it sure felt final. I wonder if the actress is stepping aside from her role. Either way, I think it had to happen. 

Man, Kate, Toby, and Audio. I'm really enjoying the path they're taking with Kate. She's slowly healing from her past, bit by bit. The fact that she was willing to get a dog for Toby, even though she wasn't ready, was a good step. And I liked her scene with Audio. Plus, I totally relate with Toby. I've wanted a kitten for years and from time to time, I go hunting for kittens, even though I can't get one right now. 

So, I found myself not caring about George and Sally in the opening, and that certainly changed by the end. Maybe a bitter resentment? Even though it wasn't really their fault. 

I'm glad for the Sterling/Justin almost shirtless scenes. That was a nice change of pace from the episode. 

I was getting as annoyed as Beth was with Randall jumping head first, and he was quite rude to her in the building before she took off, so I'm pleased she got to bite back at him. Otherwise, I did like Randall's scene with Kevin. It was good to see him supportive of Randall, even with everything he's going through. It's nice to see Kevin trying to make amends but realizing that it's not an easy road. I wasn't as satisfied with their plot, though. I guess I was expecting something else, instead of the tepid conversation between the two. I can't quite put my finger on what I wasn't fond of with their plot. 

And finally, this show GETS me with my paranoia about slow cookers being left on! I've had my parents use it while they're at work, and I've always been afraid of it catching fire. THIS IS WHY. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, debraran said:

Me too, mine would have barking and running upstairs.  Maybe he did and then he doesn't get out right away and Jack goes back but that's what everyone thought and they said it wasn't what most people thought. So time will tell

But, we know the dog survived, so that doesn't make sense to me.  If you go back in for the dog and that's what kills you, the dog should be dead, too.

Audio is my new favorite TIU character. I'm glad Kate went back for him, or else I wanted to see Lena Waithe rip her a new one.

So the washing machine and fuse box were misdirects, it's an old crockpot that burned down the house. Do people really keep small kitchen appliances for that long? The Pearsons have had that crockpot for 17 years, and who knows how long the elderly couple has had it before them.

I just can't get invested into the building storyline, the only good thing about it is that Kevin and Randall get to have more scenes together.

I'm glad Kevin got his necklace back, and I hope the breakup with Sophie is final. I want to see him move on with his life.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Trillium said:

The three teen actors are phenomenal at mimicking their adult counterparts mannerisms, tone, and speech cadence. It’s been said many times but it’s amazing that they found three actors who can do it.

Oh the cloud of doom was heavy. Don’t turn the cork pot off, unplug it!

Thank you . Unplug unplug unplug.  I'm feeling a bit nauseous 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I totally teared up at Kevin getting Jack's necklace back. At least that was one good thing to happen to him, even though he can't complete his list of amends. I'm not sure whether this is the end of Sophie, but it sure felt final. I wonder if the actress is stepping aside from her role. Either way, I think it had to happen. 

I think it did, too. I feel bad for Kevin, but he cheated on her way back when.  Came back into her life, and then pretty much immediately got hooked on pain pills.  And, no, he didn't do it on purpose. Sophie acknowledges that he didn't do it on purpose, but she just can't keep getting caught up in cycles with him.  I think it's probably for the best for both of them.  Kevin, really all 3 of them, need to go forward with their lives, not backwards.

• Love 1

The moment Jack dumped the kitchen towel by the Crockpot, I knew that would somehow start the fire.  Even if the Crockpot wasn't that old.

A sincere thank you writers, for those gratuitous shots of Sterling and Justin doing construction.  Feel free to do that again.    

Good Lord, how much money would it cost to put up all those people in a hotel?  Team Beth all the way, because Randall went way too far this time.  Being a landlord is hard enough, but they have at least a dozen tenants to look after.  

If this is how they're ending Kevin and Sophie, I'm fine with it.  Nothing against her personally, but these two have the chemistry of drywall.  And it was poetic, Kevin ending something while gaining something else that he thought he had lost forever.  

Lena Waithe!  I forgot she was making an appearance.  Glad Kate kept Audio.  He's such a cutie!

4 minutes ago, debraran said:

The note he left Kevin said he loved him and he owed them an apology and something else but I'm sure it burned.

The note definitely burned up.  :(

• Love 4
1 minute ago, chocolatine said:

So the washing machine and fuse box were misdirects, it's an old crockpot that burned down the house. Do people really keep small kitchen appliances for that long? The Pearsons have had that crockpot for 17 years, and who knows how long the elderly couple has had it before them.

I've had a waffle iron for at least that long, but then again I never make waffles.  I used to, but it's been years.  So, if Rebecca make sSuperbowl chili once a year, it's conceivable that they would still have the crock pot.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Audio is my new favorite TIU character. I'm glad Kate went back for him, or else I wanted to see Lena Waithe rip her a new one.

I just can't get invested into the building storyline, the only good thing about it is that Kevin and Randall get to have more scenes together.

I'm glad Kevin got his necklace back, and I hope the breakup with Sophie is final. I want to see him move on with his life.

My mother still has a crockpot from the 70s and it still works.  We don't use it all the time.

• Love 2

In theory, you are allowed to leave your crockpot unattended & away from home, right? At least, that’s what I always thought. I never really did when I was away at work for 8 hours. Mostly, on the weekend during the winter when I was out shoveling snow or running to the store. Now, I’m totally afraid. Thanks, Jack!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

Wait, so Randall ditched the SuperBowl to see Titanic...a movie where the main characters name is Jack..."I`ll never let go Jack..."

SOBBING FOREVER.

I hate Titanic with the burning of a thousand suns.  And now you bring this up and I'm crying.  

THIS SHOW.  I can see why it won the SAG and the Golden Globe.  Broadcast TV at awards shows is not dead because of this one. 

• Love 1

Gah. I’m a rescue dog parent so the scenes with Toby pining over dogs online, Kate going to the shelter really got me. I had a similar experience as Kate, where I didnt think I could really do it, but here I am four years later with the best mutt on the planet. I started crying when she left Audio, and then I really started crying when it was clear she had brought him home.

I’m so GLAD Kevin got his necklace back. I’m kinda irratated that he had to send her a letter to get it back, but I’m glad she did the right thing and returned it. I started crying again during this scene.

My Mom and I usually spend This is Us sending texts about Jack “about to die” watch. When he threw the towel by the slow cooker, my phone exploded. Slow cooker fires are one of my biggest fears and that fire went up quick.

I’ll be checking my fire alarms tonight...

I was a little annoyed at first that Randall was just mansplaining everything to Beth and she was just like “Peace, I’m out”. But she knew if Randall was going to listen to her, she’d have to give him enough rope. Well played girl, well played. 

I still don't get the airplanes being thrown out and not burned or ashy and how the dog seemed less for the wear in Kate's arms, how she had videos, pictures,  etc. Would they keep so much in another home? This was way before computers and clouds.

Edited by debraran
8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, we know the dog survived, so that doesn't make sense to me.  If you go back in for the dog and that's what kills you, the dog should be dead, too.

The dog could have run out and no one knew. So Kate freaked out, thinking the dog is inside. Jack goes in to save it and never makes it out. Dog is found later. That's my guess.

I had a slow cooker shoot sparks at me on Thanksgiving so I decided then I'd never leave one when I'm not home. Gah. How awful. 

1 minute ago, Squirrely said:

The dog could have run out and no one knew. So Kate freaked out, thinking the dog is inside. Jack goes in to save it and never makes it out. Dog is found later. That's my guess.

I had a slow cooker shoot sparks at me on Thanksgiving so I decided then I'd never leave one when I'm not home. Gah. How awful. 

That could be it, maybe ran out or they had a pet door. He was pretty clean on that couch with Kate and the group. Someone had to get them there so there's a lot of missing pieces still. Maybe Jack died at the hospital but then I'd hate that the kids missed saying goodbye

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think there had to be a time lapse because from the preview Kate is home and she wasn't home when he turned it off and went upstairs.  Clearly if the fire had already started, she would have alerted the family instead of just blithely going on up to her room and waiting for it to get worse.  

I thought Kate was shown up in her bedroom, lying there awake, or did I dream that?