Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Lawanda: The Book of Hope

• Start Topic

As the community struggles with the violence surrounding them, a glimmer of hope appears: Is Black Lightning back? Lynn Stewart, noticing the changes in the community, is also left wondering. While Jefferson Pierce struggles with his decision, Gambi urges him to take up the mantle once more and return to life as Black Lightning. Anissa and Jennifer try to deal with the aftermath of their jolting experience.

They killed everybody.  Will gets killed, so he can't flip on Lala.  LaWanda gets killed, so she won't be reunited with her daughter, and her daughter now has no parents.  And then Lala gets killed, so he can't flip on Tobias.

They're not pulling any punches in this show.

The acting, is till top notch.

• Love 2

Gambi telling Lynn 'Yeah, I blame you a little' got a laugh out of me. He was really laying it all out there and she at least accepted that it was up to Jefferson what to do about his powers. Not crazy about her taking the you're addicted to your powers angle. If using his powers was killing him was her fear then it has more heft and consequence.

This show pulls no punches. LaWanda, Will, and Lala all murdered this ep. Losing Lala really hurts. The actor and character was fantastic.

Lala and LaWanda must've had harrrd lives because Jefferson looks younger than they do ?

Anissa calmly accepted 'Yep, I have powers' and being so okay with it was amazing.

So Inspector totally knew that was Jefferson, right?

Lala's 'You really hate black people' got another chuckle out of me. Whale believes himself to be above everyone and everything. Black, white, red, blue it does not matter.

So loving this show.

Good second episode. I loved Anissa's smile when she flipped over the robber. I wonder how long she is going to keep her new powers a secret from her parent(s)? 

I was sorry that Jefferson and Lynn's reunion came to a crashing halt, but I don't see how she can expect him to keep looking the other way and doing nothing while their community falls apart. I loved the confrontation between Lynn and Gambi. She needs to wake the hell up and be with her man before that thirsty vice principal snags him on the rebound.

The younger daughter has got to grow up and stop acting the fool. I loved how her new boyfriend called her out.

Damn, I felt for LaWanda. So freaking sad. Good riddance to Lala.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

Tobias has powers?!?!  And was that Jill Scott in the promos for next week?

DO IT SHOW!

And the music continues to be AWESOME.

I love how the elevator operator was like "I got you!"  - he snitched fast and was ready to help BL.

Anissa's moment of realization when she got powers was like "I'm yourrrrrrr QUEEEEEEEENNNNNN to BEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" and then she sauntered off, lol.  That was so funny.

Oh Lynn, Lynn, Lynn... girl you about to lose your man that you clearly still love to the thirsty lady at the school... and now that I think of it... it's been 9 years since you left Jefferson and he left BL but you still didn't get back with him?  I mean - they are telegraphing him moving on with thirsty lady.

And "hide yo wives... hide yo children ... cause they killin errbody up in hurrr... "  Though I did scream Noooooo! when they killed that poor mom like that... 

Can I just say also that I love the message?  Jefferson is saying he can't be satisfied with sitting behind his picket fence where his family is fine but everyone else is still drowning in danger... he's saying he's not okay with his privilege when he sees the other people suffering.  Lynn is scared I know but I need her to wake up.  

13 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

So shall we start a pool as to when Mr. Track Star buys it?

I'm going to love Lynn's reaction when Anissa comes out. Again.

Yeah I'm worried about Mr. Track Star - he's on Riverdale too - so he could totally be killed off of either show.  I hope they don't kill him off of Black Lightning - especially after that lovely speech he gave Jennifer.  She needed to be checked and he did it so perfectly with love.  I love him... so he's probably gonna get killed, lol.

• Love 4

The music is totally on point.

Didn’t both Will and Lala to be done this quickly. In the scene, when Lala kills his cousin (did we know that before?), was there a tight shot on the car and was the car an Impala? In other words, did Lala take his name from his car? 

Jefferson is killing me, he’s insanely hot. 

Dang, LaWanda, that was really sad and so cold. 

Loved Anissa in the drug flipping dude, wish I had some flip-a-dude powers some days. 

Also, Karen could not be laying it on any thicker that she's into Jefferson. I noticed the look of recognition on his face after she left. He knows, but he wants Lynn. Lynn get it together!!

Edited by msani19
  • Love 2

When La La was sitting in that car singing along with 'Let's Straighten it out' I was singing right along with him.  The music is on point!

Poor LaWanda.  I did not think she'd die. 

Also very surprised that both Will and La La bought it as well.  This show is not scared of a body count. That is for sure.  But Tv show Henchman is the worst job security.

Love seeing Anissa with her girlfriend and I extra loved her reaction to her powers.  Totally how I would react.

Overheard on twitter:

person 1: "Have we heard 'Negro' on the CW before?"

person 2: "We've barely seen Negroes on the CW so I'mma guess no."

Me: DEAD

I love how Peter pronounces La La.  He pronounces it "Lolla"  ha!

Very curious about the effects of the power on Jefferson.  The opening scene seemed like using the power hurt him.  But with all of Lynn's talk of his "addiction" I think NOT using it hurts him.  Like his body is going into withdrawal.  Also is it a fountain of youth, because Jefferson look the same age as LaWanda and La La.  Not old enough to have been their teacher.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

Anissa calmly accepted 'Yep, I have powers' and being so okay with it was amazing.

I LOVE HER!! But she'd better stop treating her girlfriend like a shameful secret.

46 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

The younger daughter has got to grow up and stop acting the fool. I loved how her new boyfriend called her out.

They had her smoking on that rooftop. The CW is changing, y'all. I love her boyfriend, too, and I wish I could remember his name.

46 minutes ago, phoenics said:

Can I just say also that I love the message?  Jefferson is saying he can't be satisfied with sitting behind his picket fence where his family is fine but everyone else is still drowning in danger... he's saying he's not okay with his privilege when he sees the other people suffering.

YES!!!!! I can't get over how much I love this show!!!!!

46 minutes ago, phoenics said:

Yeah I'm worried about Mr. Track Star

Me, too. I loved LaWanda. She was brave and fierce and not stupid. I hope we don't actually have to love and lose someone every week because, while it's very effective at driving home the message, and therefore I'm not complaining, it's also super painful.

Last week I was so excited about how great this show is. And this week I love it even more. BLACK LESBIAN SUPERHERO, Y'ALL! And she's got a smart, hot girlfriend! They've been together a year so it's not a fling or a phase or some weird chaste BS.

Lynn is a neurosurgeon! I hope she redeems herself because I want to love her. But I agree that 9 years is a long time to stay away after he did what she asked. And truly, he deserves a partner who is there for him and supportive, and sees the value in what he's saying about not rejecting his gift. So, whether the VP is thristy or just perceptive, I don't want to say. It's not like he's married. Nine years single is long enough to be considered legitimately available. Though I don't like the workplace aspect, especially because he's her boss. She's actually the one character I think they're not handling well. I don't want them to make her seem pathetic, just like I don't want them to make Lynn seem cold.

The cops know White Whale! And they allow him into the cell to commit murder while they watch! Uh oh.

• Love 3

I kinda got a kick out of the two guys that have to dispose of Lala's victims. They just stoically handled their business. They did seem a bit troubled at LaWanda's death. 

I'm not sure how I feel about BL just walking up to Lala's building in full sight of everyone. Guess I'm used to Batman-like skulking, lol!

People mentioned about the girls not recognizing BL as their dad at the motel when he came to rescue them last episode, and they addressed it this episode. There was something else from last episode that people commented on that was addressed tonight that I can't remember.....

Seriously, little sister? We gonna get drunk AT SCHOOL? At the school where your dad is principal? GURL. Your very smart boyfriend is HOT, tho'.

I almost felt bad for Lala when he died. ALMOST.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

People mentioned about the girls not recognizing BL as their dad at the motel when he came to rescue them last episode, and they addressed it this episode.

I love that they explained that.

Eventually, though, I think it will come out. But the younger daughter can't be trusted right now with any family secrets.

I was waiting to see how the family would react to the sink being crumbled. I thought that happened at BL's house. Doesn't Anissa still live there?

27 minutes ago, saoirse said:

I was yelling at the tv - "NO. DO NOT PUT THE SHIRT BACK ON. NO!"

Sadly, he did. Less sadly, OMG, his arms.....

He needs to stay alive long enough for Ramsay to cross over (doesn’t have to play Diggle). Then we get double arms time. 

• Love 2

I really love this show. 

I am all for Lynn and Jefferson reuniting but I hope she comes to terms with the fact that Jefferson will try to help everyone and not just his family anymore. 

I love Anissa. She is brilliant and a smart woman. I also like her supportive girlfriend. Hope nothing happens to her. 

Jennifer is a mess right now. She was trying to rebel before all of this happened, but I think she might be suffering from PTSD which is worsening her rebellion behaviors. I hope that young track star keeps her on the right path. 

Also, this show’s music is on another level. This was basically me even when stuff was going down...

giphy.gif

• Love 2

Jeeeeeeeeeeezzzz. Kinda wanting Jefferson to suit up twice an episode, because life in Freeville sucks. On an emotional level, I mean, though having a guy running shit calling himself "Lala" doesn't help. Seriously . . ."Lala." Or "La La." Thanks to Tobias and a few corrupt FPD cops for getting him killed.

Also fucked up: the two dudes working in the hotel. The 100 take it over, and those two still came to work? Okay, they were probably forced into it, but my brain was all, "Wait . . . you want me to come to work ?!? It's my day off! And the local gang is holed up there! I'm not supposed to be working today!!!"

At least there's no ambiguity to where Lynn stands with Jefferson. I mean, Freeville is descending into hell, but I cannot blame her for sticking to her principles. Black Lightning can be a mighty force, but his mission is probably endless, even if he keeps his crusade to Freeville. One problem gets solved, two more pop up. Like a hydra, only you don't have fire to cauterize the stumps where the heads get severed.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Last week I was so excited about how great this show is. And this week I love it even more. BLACK LESBIAN SUPERHERO, Y'ALL! And she's got a smart, hot girlfriend! They've been together a year so it's not a fling or a phase or some weird chaste BS.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I LOVE HER!! But she'd better stop treating her girlfriend like a shameful secret.

I think her folks already know . . . unlike they think that odd name (can't remember what it was) means "boy."

30 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

He needs to stay alive long enough for Ramsay to cross over (doesn’t have to play Diggle). Then we get double arms time. 

Did not notice Cress's gun show. I'll have to look for that, though David Ramsey has the best right to bare arms at this moment. Also: sweet effect with the electricity under the skin. And it seems like this Jefferson had his power from the start, as to using a souped-up device.

Edited by Lantern7

Is it horrible that every time I hear the name "Lawanda" I think she's going to meet Jim Halpert's killer at the "Alcohol Club"?

Dwight Schrute: Looks like Jim got mixed up with some bad apples!

Edited by VCRTracking

Woo hoo hot Chuck from Riverdale (who is an ass on that show) is a nice guy on this one. Highlight of the episode, and hope to see more of him.

All those deaths were brutal. This is darker than what I'm used to on the CW but love the characters and storyline.

I love China, so I'm hoping that her character grows up. So sad what her boyfriend has been through and has a good head on his shoulder, while she's a spoiled princess who is drinking, smoking, and going to gang clubs which is why this mess started in the first place. I love Annissa, though, and like seeing her kick ass.

Edited by twoods

Two episodes in and they haven't given it a CW makeover yet. I'm happy. They're keeping it a very grounded, very mature show. The villains are very, very bad, and the hero is conflicted- well, at least BL is. His daughter seems pretty self-satisfied after throwing down the baddie at the end. :)

I like that people have real conversations, too. They don't have half-conversations, with vague assertions or dramatic commercial lead-ins. Lynn and Gamb's heart-to-heart was excellent. Two well-meaning people with different moral povs; honest, and a bit angry, and yet they were still adults about it. Not whining or screaming, just telling it like they see it, and still managing to have a degree of respect for one another. It was kind of cool to learn that Lynn had a lot more involvement in Jefferson's historic Black Lightning operation, too. It wasn't clear from the pilot just how long she had known, but between her talk with Gambi and her discussions with Jefferson, it sounds like she was a more active participant at one time.

I'm curious what was going on with BL's lightning seizures at the beginning, too. I wonder if that is just a manifestation of him suddenly using his powers so much after so long, or if he'd been having those attacks before he hung up the tights (and if it was part of why he originally did so)?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Why, though, isn't she interested in meeting her gf's family? Maybe it means she isn't serious about her? I hope that's not it.

Lynn mentioned to Jefferson that Anissa was at her girlfriend's place.  So, they know.

Out of all things this show does right (and so far, it's pretty impressive), I just loved that instead doing a typical crash through a door or dramatically fly through a window, "Black Lightning" just casually walks the streets and then goes through the hotel door (and the friendly doorman just lets him in!)  Also takes the stairs instead of the elevator because obviously he needs to stay in shape.  Being older ain't easy!

Pretty good second episode as well.  I really like how all of the characters don't feel like stock ones and even if they go through some of the tropes and cliches, they all feel layered and relatable.  Even characters that I feel like I normally would find annoying on other shows; the rebellious teenager/Jennifer or the buzzkill ex/Lynn; I actually like here, because I feel like I understand them and I find their actions to be realistic.  Frankly, it's kind of impressive.

That said, while I understand her, I do think Lynn trying to prevent Jefferson from becoming Black Lightning is going to end up doing harm if she's not careful.  This isn't even an Oliver/Bruce Wayne situation: Jefferson has powers that are actually a part of him and that can't be changed.  Maybe he can hide it like he did for nine years, but he is clearly a man who can't just sit back and let those he cares about get harmed or worst, and her trying to push him back in just isn't going to work.  I do understand why she can't bring herself to be with him though, but I hope it works out, if, for nothing else, I'm really enjoying the chemistry between Cress Williams and Christine Adams.

Anissa's got a girlfriend, huh?  I liked how it was handled and how the show is treating it like a normal relationship.  Even their scene in bed felt shot and framed in a way similar to other scenes in television with heterosexual couples (although, understandable framed up to avoid any thing that would change the rating on this show!) And both of her parents know about it and are cool with.  Hope the show keeps it up.  Oh, and doesn't kill her.  The CW has really had a problem with that aspect...

Took me a while to place Jennifer track star boyfriend from Riverdale.  Nice to see him playing a decent guy.

Really loving Gambi.  Loved his scene with Lynn and I'm curious to learn more about their history, since it seems like they've been at odds with each other more then once.

I figured Will was a goner, but I'm surprised Lala is already out of the picture.  Whale is becoming a more effective villain now.  He clearly has a lot of influences and his hands in various pockets.  Wonder what the deal is with his silent henchwoman.

The music was pretty great here.

Anissa inadvertently takes out a baddie with new fangled powers.  Really curious about this development and the reaction from Jefferson (and Lynn) when they find out.

Trying to keep my expectations in check, but I'm really enjoying this show so far. 

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Overheard on twitter:

I'm getting buried next to you!

I'm sorry to see La-La and his improbably cooler real name go, but fuck that guy. I hope LaWanda's daughter will be okay.

Anissa better get her act together, because her girlfriend is amazing and clearly in love with her. I'm not here for Anissa stringing her along. Either commit to that woman or let her go.

The smartest decision Jennifer's made so far is getting with Khalil.

Whale is everything Uncle Ruckus (no relation) always dreamed he could be.

Only two episodes in and Black Lightning is already the show I wish Luke Cage didn't take half a season to become.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, phoenics said:

Tobias has powers?!?!  And was that Jill Scott in the promos for next week?

DO IT SHOW!

And the music continues to be AWESOME.

I love how the elevator operator was like "I got you!"  - he snitched fast and was ready to help BL.

Anissa's moment of realization when she got powers was like "I'm yourrrrrrr QUEEEEEEEENNNNNN to BEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" and then she sauntered off, lol.  That was so funny.

Oh Lynn, Lynn, Lynn... girl you about to lose your man that you clearly still love to the thirsty lady at the school... and now that I think of it... it's been 9 years since you left Jefferson and he left BL but you still didn't get back with him?  I mean - they are telegraphing him moving on with thirsty lady.

And "hide yo wives... hide yo children ... cause they killin errbody up in hurrr... "  Though I did scream Noooooo! when they killed that poor mom like that... 

Can I just say also that I love the message?  Jefferson is saying he can't be satisfied with sitting behind his picket fence where his family is fine but everyone else is still drowning in danger... he's saying he's not okay with his privilege when he sees the other people suffering.  Lynn is scared I know but I need her to wake up.  

Yeah I'm worried about Mr. Track Star - he's on Riverdale too - so he could totally be killed off of either show.  I hope they don't kill him off of Black Lightning - especially after that lovely speech he gave Jennifer.  She needed to be checked and he did it so perfectly with love.  I love him... so he's probably gonna get killed, lol.

Yeah I'm scared for Chuck/Khalil.. He almost gets killed on Riverdale and nothing happens to the ppl who did it to him.. And he's just cruising for some kind of tragic bruising on Black lightning.. He's too good of a dude. 

Since Black Lightning doesn't wear a helmet, why wouldn't someone just shoot him in the head?

Why do I get the feeling Inspector Henderson is in with the bad guys, or at least Whale?

Wonder if they're going to release a soundtrack album for this show?

They're walking a fine line with Jennifer, she could go so wrong/bratty but, so far I think they've done a really good job with her. She was already trying to break out of her mold in the pilot and now she's had a major trauma and is not handling very well. Understandable, just please don't go overboard.

I really like Anissa but, i didn't get why she was keeping her girlfriend at a distance. At first i thought she wasn't out. Obviously not, since both parents knew and they talked about it openly with Henderson.

I did like her reaction to having super strength, I wonder if she's invulnerable too?

I liked the conversation between Lynn and Gambi. Gambi looks at Jefferson and sees all the good he can do with his powers. Lynn looks and sees her husband/love dying/getting killed etc. As much as I feel for her I couldn't accept her walking out on Jefferson (again) that easily. I hope they can work it out, especially with Anissa's powers coming into play. 

I want the VP to be after BL because she, too, has superpowers and can see it in him. I can see that becoming a really fun friendship or romance if they give her an equal footing and she's not just a groupie.  It doesn't have to be superpowers, but just something about her that indicates she's not just an inexplicably lonely person chasing a decidedly not interested man.

Al Green, Benny Latimore & Billy Paul?

Shirtless Cress Williams AND Jordan Calloway?

Black Lesbians In Committed Relationships With Complex Emotional Arcs?

Young Black Teenagers In Love Also With Their Own Complex Emotional Arcs?

Brutally Intense Yet Intelligent Black Villians?

Culturally Rich Realistic Dialogue?

Non-Stereotypical Supporting Characters?

....Oh yeah, I'm ALL the way in.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Since Black Lightning doesn't wear a helmet, why wouldn't someone just shoot him in the head?

Why do I get the feeling Inspector Henderson is in with the bad guys, or at least Whale?

Wonder if they're going to release a soundtrack album for this show?

Didn't Jennifer say you can't look at his face because a blinding light is front of it? If they can't look at his face because of blinding light it would be hard to shoot him in the head. Of course if that's the case he probably doesn't need the mask. 

5 hours ago, steelyis said:

Anissa better get her act together, because her girlfriend is amazing and clearly in love with her. I'm not here for Anissa stringing her along. Either commit to that woman or let her go.

14 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I really like Anissa but, i didn't get why she was keeping her girlfriend at a distance. At first i thought she wasn't out. Obviously not, since both parents knew and they talked about it openly with Henderson.

Given that she's been with her girlfriend for a year but never really introduced her officially to the parents I am getting the vibe that while Anissa love her she doesn't 'Meet the family" love her.  Which might be the writing on the wall for this GF, but does clear the way for her comic book canon GF.

Regarding Jennifer, I am getting "daughter of a preacher" vibes from her.  She is pure rebellion.  It'll be interesting to see how she reacts when her powers manifest.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Dee said:

Al Green, Benny Latimore & Bobby Womack?

Shirtless Cress Williams AND Jordan Calloway?

Black Lesbians In Committed Relationships With Complex Emotional Arcs?

Young Black Teenagers In Love Also With Their Own Complex Emotional Arcs?

Brutally Intense Yet Intelligent Black Villians?

Culturally Rich Realistic Dialogue?

Non-Stereotypical Supporting Characters?

....Oh yeah, I'm ALLthe way in.

Dee... I believe you just won the internets... This times everything 

14 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Given that she's been with her girlfriend for a year but never really introduced her officially to the parents I am getting the vibe that while Anissa love her she doesn't 'Meet the family" love her.  Which might be the writing on the wall for this GF, but does clear the way for her comic book canon GF.

That is what I got also. Anissa clearly isn't into having a committed relationship with the girlfriend. 

The ratings in the key demo held steady from last week so that it is good news.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

I like that people have real conversations, too. They don't have half-conversations, with vague assertions or dramatic commercial lead-ins. Lynn and Gamb's heart-to-heart was excellent. Two well-meaning people with different moral povs; honest, and a bit angry, and yet they were still adults about it. Not whining or screaming, just telling it like they see it, and still managing to have a degree of respect for one another. It was kind of cool to learn that Lynn had a lot more involvement in Jefferson's historic Black Lightning operation, too. It wasn't clear from the pilot just how long she had known, but between her talk with Gambi and her discussions with Jefferson, it sounds like she was a more active participant at one time.

I loved Lynn and Gambi's conversation also. Lynn expressing her fears and Gambi's push back about Jefferson being addicted to her and none of us getting out alive was so good. Christine Adams and James Remar were outstanding.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I loved Lynn and Gambi's conversation also. Lynn expressing her fears and Gambi's push back about Jefferson being addicted to her and none of us getting out alive was so good. Christine Adams and James Remar were outstanding.

They really were.

Although I felt they shortchanged Lynn's POV some, because she could've, and should've, made the very real point that Gambi's feelings about Jefferson's powers were, at best, fatalistic.

While the city & its people need a superhero does that mean divesting oneself of a social life or anything remotely resembling a happy ending? Because the life Gambi is encouraging Jefferson to re-embrace is one that insists everyone around Jefferson becomes collateral damage whether they like it or not.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Overheard on twitter:

LMAO!  So funny and so true.

Thank you Black Lightning for the AMAZING music and for all the shirtless, brown, deliciousness on screen last night from both Jefferson and the boyfriend.  #shallow

• Love 2

I love how, instead of skulking around and crashing through windows, Black Lightning just strolls down the street and walks in the front door! Also, it seems like the only people in town who dont love Black Lightening are the cops, the criminals, and his ex wife. Everyone else treats him coming back like its the second coming of black Jesus, which...I guess it is. 

I can understand Lynn's POV, and how she wants to focus on their family, BUT its hard to be that sympathetic to her when we can see how the city has turned into a war zone, with innocent people suffering and dying on a daily basis, and how its gotten worse ever since BL hung up his mask. I guess its generally a question all superheroes have to ask. If they have the ability to do something to stop evil, even at the cost of their own happiness and safety, should they? I thought the scene between Lynn and Gambi was really well done, and I really understood both of their perspectives. And they both acknowledged that, at the end of the day, its up to Jefferson what he does. And he seems to want to be BL again. Honestly, I think he made up his mind as soon as he realized that the low rent motel was open already, and that other peoples kids were being hurt in there. And if Lynn really wanted to be with him, where has she been for almost ten years? Because if she isn't ready to support her super hubbie, it looks like that vice principle will be ready to swoop in herself. 

I was hoping that LaWanda would make it out, but it was not meant to be. At least Lala got his, even though its a pretty hallow victory. Now her daughter has lost both of her parents. This show isn't playing around when it comes to killing people off. 

Loved Anissas reaction to her powers and beating down the guy robbing the store (also, holy crap that town really has a crime problem), but I hope she either commits to her girlfriend, or, if she isn't that into her, she moves on from her. She seems nice, and I hope things either work out, or end amicably. 

Jennifer continues her rebellion, but I dont feel as annoyed with her as I often do with TV rebellious teens. Her boyfriend is awesome (and so very hot) so I hope he doesn't tragically die to inspire her to become a superhero or to rebel even harder. I also am glad they mentioned that its hard to see Black Lightnings face when he is using his powers, that was my one real complaint about lat week. 

Agreed with everyone on the music. It sounds awesome and sets the perfect mood in every scene. 

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I want the VP to be after BL because she, too, has superpowers and can see it in him. I can see that becoming a really fun friendship or romance if they give her an equal footing and she's not just a groupie.  It doesn't have to be superpowers, but just something about her that indicates she's not just an inexplicably lonely person chasing a decidedly not interested man.

I would LOVE if they surprised us like this with her being a fellow meta and/or sounding board for Jefferson. Please no manufactured, cliched love triangles. Lynn and Jefferson have problems on their own.

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I love how, instead of skulking around and crashing through windows, Black Lightning just strolls down the street and walks in the front door!

The glass repairmen of Freeland no doubt are pissed seeing their counterparts in Star City raking it in!

I found Lala a great 'public' foil for Jefferson with Tobias the nemesis for Black Lightning.  But power abhors a vacuum so Lala will be replaced soon enough or Tobias will install someone.

Tobias is near Lex Luthor levels of arrogance and confident to roll into the police station to kill Lala even with the cops in his pocket. But he did warn him in last week's episode - if you can't handle your business, I'll just kill you and handle it myself.

• Love 1

I forgot to mention I loved he scene when Jefferson rolls up on La La all mad.  It is done in slo-mo and there are dirt bikers roling around on their back wheels all in slo mo as well.  It reminded me of this scene from Straight Outta Compton a little bit:

That dirt biking scene was the one thing that I didn't like about the show last night.  In some communities (thankfully not mine-at least not yet) they have basically terrorized people, even riding on the sidewalks and have injured people trying to get out of the way.

Otherwise, I liked the rest of the show.

Edited by Ohwell

Why was Jefferson talking to the citizens about the current problems in the city? Isn't that the job for Henderson or the mayor? 

So Jefferson (not Black Lightning) promised Lawanda he'll have her daughter back in 48 hours. When was he going to get started on this task? Looks like he playing solitaire on his computer when Henderson called him.

Jennifer's boyfriend is too clean, focused and proper, I don't want to see him killed off just to be a reason for Jennifer to grow up and realize her potential. I hope he does get out of Freeland with a scholarship.

To the writers: I don't care if Lala is no longer here, his two stooges have an overdue beating coming their way from BL. Make it happen!

• Love 1

One nitpick though. Shouldn't Tobias have used gloves when killing Lala? Won't his fingerprints be all over the body?

The police probably went in afterward and tidied up any evidence left behind. Or they just disappeared the body altogether.

Didn't Jennifer say you can't look at his face because a blinding light is front of it? If they can't look at his face because of blinding light it would be hard to shoot him in the head. Of course if that's the case he probably doesn't need the mask. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. But, hmm, night vision goggles and a long-range rifle? Not that I'm trying to kill off BL already but it seems to me like a smart criminal could take him out if they planned ahead and had the right equipment. I guess we'll see what kinds of attempts are going to be made against him.

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. But, hmm, night vision goggles and a long-range rifle? Not that I'm trying to kill off BL already but it seems to me like a smart criminal could take him out if they planned ahead and had the right equipment. I guess we'll see what kinds of attempts are going to be made against him.

To be fair, the only hero on the CW a decent sniper couldn't easily murder is Supergirl.  Even with The Flash/Kid Flash, if they're standing still/moving slowly enough and don't know its coming, a bullet would pretty much, well, watch...

7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Hmmn... I don't know the canon. I really liked this GF, but I'll try to wait and see before I get bothered worrying about what might come next.

6 hours ago, Dee said:

Because the life Gambi is encouraging Jefferson to re-embrace is one that insists everyone around Jefferson becomes collateral damage whether they like it or not.

If they embrace it and get on board with the mission, they won't see it that way, though. Lots of people have dangerous jobs. Some are cut out for it and others aren't, but many of them have partners and families who support it, and find meaning in being part of the team, whether that means supporting or more actively so. Plus, if her daughter is also a superhero, at some point Lynn will not be able to keep walking away.

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Jennifer continues her rebellion, but I dont feel as annoyed with her as I often do with TV rebellious teens.

It's really masterful that they've managed to make me like her despite her terrible behavior. The show itself must have superpowers.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, possibilities said:

If they embrace it and get on board with the mission, they won't see it that way, though. Lots of people have dangerous jobs. Some are cut out for it and others aren't, but many of them have partners and families who support it, and find meaning in being part of the team, whether that means supporting or more actively so. Plus, if her daughter is also a superhero, at some point Lynn will not be able to keep walking away.

'Getting on board' is the issue. Suppose some villain realizes Jefferson is BL and decides to endanger Jefferson's students or his relatives? They didn't sign up to be targets nor should they feel frightened because someone they trust, in one regard, decides to resume being a vigilante.

And expecting Lynn to just be ok with her family placing themselves at risk to do a job that is too difficult for trained professionals to handle is a bridge too far.

Being a superhero isn't the same as working in construction or being an EMT. There are no off days or paid sick leave. It's a 24/7 slog that doesn't bode well for anyone involved.

• Love 2

One thing was also that incredibly realistic-looking water/food-coloring pistol the little kid used to shoot Jennifer.  My reaction when I saw it was "Oh shit!"  Then I saw it was a water-gun.  Then I thought "Why would anybody be allowed to sell those fucking things?  It's no wonder children are being shot if they're carrying stuff like that."