Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Kim & Matt

Tara Ariano

“Can I go for a run?”

Kim has to be one of the weirdest people on this show ever, and that’s saying something. 

(Side note: I got pretty excited because I saw my office building in the background when Kim went for her run.)

• Love 20

I kinda loved that Matt sang “Go go go Joseph” (from “Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat”) when Joe showed up to pick up Norma.

But man, that whole thing was Awk. Ward. Layers and layers of awkward. Kim’s uncomfortable behavior, Matt’s clear discomfort, Nev’s prodding of the future of the relationship, everything. 

• Love 8

How does this woman keep getting men? She's so socially awkward, she seems like she's on the spectrum.

Max telling Matt that Kim deserves some kind of clear answer by the time he leaves was bullshit. The only person who lied (by omission) was Kim. Demanding that he give an answer right away like he was the one who was doing something wrong was crap.

Edited by GaT
Matt not Mati & to add words
  • Love 16

-Kicking a cop in the nuts. She also tells Nev he needs to be more like Max, echoing what people say here.

-That was not worth a meltdown in the bathroom? Height terror is more understandable but also could read across as her first avoidance flag.

-Always so many life factors to balance. I'm sure there will be another 5 years of life factors since life factors are continuous. But geez, the phone conversations seem to always go EXACTLY like this. They need to switch up the scripting there.

-I thought we escaped the wife this time. Rats. This week we learn Cleo's good with a spoon. :O (And I learn she isn't a son, oops)

-Secret kids? Holy nutcase, I feel sorry for Norma's father. "How am I supposed to tell him about my child?" Idk, maybe act like an adult? You're literally putting someone you sexted with over the needs of your daughter.

-Kim, I'm going to need you to stand still. You're like a gushing elementary kid that's too nervous to say hi to their crush.

-"The hysterics are nice". Yeah, he's not down for this. Also even if he's a secretive person, Kim left the real bombshell out.

-Fatten him up? Yes, he can blame you. It's bad dating etiquette to waste someone's time like that. If major aspects of your life are incompatible, find someone else. You were also technically unfaithful to this even if he had turned out to have a girlfriend.

-How are Nev and Max still doing their shtick of pressing the Catfish to be decisive through all this? I could honestly see her fall into the river and attempt to fake drown. It pisses me off when they blatantly ignore an evident lack of chemistry and play dumb about it. There is no "will they or won't they" question here to goad viewers on with.

-"No kissing". I think Nev is willingly trying to push this to be uncomfortable. Kim, he's not staring at you and it takes two for a discussion....and if you wanted an answer besides "just friends" maybe you should've stopped acting like a giant child he had to babysit.

-....I don't trust this woman to be a surgeon with how she reacts to high pressure situations. Hope the formerly friendzoned guy doesn't settle.

• Love 9

All I have to say about Kim is, "what tha?"  She actually asked Matt to be her daughter's godfather.    

And the vibe I got from Nev and Max was that Matt owed this woman some sort of answers as to his feelings.  Even if he started out that day wanting a relationship, seeing how she was acting as she rolled up would cause anyone to pause.  Lol he was proabably thinking "what tha?"

• Love 5

Just now watching.  Did she ask the guy to be her daughter's Godfather?!  WTF!  I can't believe she asked him if he could blame her for not telling him about the kid.  Um, yeah.  You have a kid.  If he doesn't like kids, then he's not the guy for you.  Simple.

• Love 4

I don't know if that bizarre behavior was supposed to be "anxiety" but it came across as nothing but over-the-top and attention-seeking to me.  If I'd been Nev and Max, I would've been like, "Look, if you can't stand here like an adult and talk to us, we're out..."  I guess I'm a mean old lady, but I felt like I was watching the living embodiment of Twitter culture, where everyone claims to have some kind of social disorder like it's a badge of honor.

• Love 23

What the actual f*ck is wrong with that bat-sh*t crazy woman?  I would rather watch slow-clapping man (biggest Catfish disaster I could remember) for 24 hours straight than watch that personification of a train-wreck/dumpster-fire for even 10 seconds.

• Love 13

When Kim "went for a run" and then flopped down onto the grass, I was done. I don't know what her deal is, but she has one. All that squirming around and squatting and flinging her hair around. Cute baby though.

7 hours ago, steff13 said:

Just now watching.  Did she ask the guy to be her daughter's Godfather?!  WTF!  I can't believe she asked him if he could blame her for not telling him about the kid.  Um, yeah.  You have a kid.  If he doesn't like kids, then he's not the guy for you.  Simple.

It really is that simple. One of my best friends has never wanted kids; I've known her since high school and she's never wavered. (She likes kids - she's a middle school teacher! She just doesn't want to have them.) And people are all horrified because of course all women want kids (eyeroll), and before she got married* they'd ask her stuff like "What if you meet a man who wants kids? What will you do?" And she'd say "Not date him, because we are fundamentally incompatible."

Matt was clearly through when he met Kim, and I don't blame him. "The hysterics are nice" said all you needed to know. 

*When she got engaged, people would say "What if your husband wants kids?" and she'd say "Why do you think we haven't discussed this? He doesn't. That's part of what makes him great for me." 

• Love 12

Holy crapola!  What was that mess???  

First off:  Her hair.  UM  NO.  I think the only reason she wears it that long and unkempt is so she can use it as a shield when she doesn't want to confront something.

Matt...  Beautiful, Nev?  REALLY???  his hair.  again, UM NO  ( he did look much better at the end when it was cut some)

Joe...  his hair.  Not my taste but the lesser of three evils!  He was the only normal one (aside from Norma, but mom has lots of time to turn her into a neurotic mess)  No wonder why they didn't work out, he is semi-normal.  It was good to see he had nice things to say about her.

This woman can't hold a face to face conversation like an adult.  Ending up on the bathroom floor because she thought Matt was handsome?  Or was that when she took off for the back yard hammock?  

It was so evident on his face when he saw her he thought she was nuts.  Again, she has to walk away and sit in the dirt encasing herself in her mop that is only rivaled by Cousin It.  

She can't look at him, but wants him to be Godfather?  uhhhh....sounds reasonable!!  Then of course she needed to take an impromptu jog, only to end up flat on her back in the dirt again.  Seriously!?!?  What is this woman's problem??

In Max's defense about telling Matt that by the end of the trip he should be clear what he wants from her relationship wise.  I think he was trying to say that this woman isn't stable enough to be led on so he should cut ties if he does not have feelings for her.  I did wonder though, they all drove to the ice cream store together.  They had their overly awkward conversation, if you can call it that because she wanted him to do all the talking while she once again hid under her hair.  It must be hot under there.  Maybe she has snacks hidden in there and she was hungry.  So, they decide to stay friends with him saying he wants her in his life.  DUDE!!  This was your chance to GTFO!!  RUN like the wind Bullseye!!  The three of them get in the catfishmobile , and poor Matt, poor poor Matt just gets to walk away and fend for his own way back to the hotel!  Hopefully he still had frineds in the area he could hang with and salvage the trip.

It was a nice change that the catfish wasn't a catfish and that the catfishee was bats#it crazy!

Cut to skype call...she is no longer afraid to fly and is going to visit!  What could go wrong?!?!

oh  yeah...she wants to be a surgeon.  Maybe she meant the game Operation, because there is no way she would make it past pre-med.   I can picture the surgical suite..  Someone says, "where is Dr. Kim?"  Somebody go check the floor in the scrub room!

Edited by DocOFtheDead
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, Lovecat said:

So much HAIR in this episode.

And Nev didn'teven have to take off his shirt!

4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

When Kim "went for a run" and then flopped down onto the grass, I was done. 

You lasted longer than I did.

Baby Norma is a cutie. I worry for her safety when she's with her mom, though. I cannot imagine Lisa handling an emergency well. 

I thought Nev and Max were especially funny this episode. I liked the "we gotta get ready to welcome Matt," the whole "abs suck" routine, and Nev's crush on Matt.

• Love 2

She's the oldest looking 20 year old I've ever seen.  She's 20 right? Said she met the guy when she was 15 and that was 5 years ago?

Matt and Kim's baby daddy were both dudes I would have been into at her age. Hubba hubba.

She was just so damn awkward. WTF. How does a girl who can't even meet someone's eye when they meet (Max and Nev) get the ovaries to nut kick a cop? Where does that fit in?

• Love 5

While I was working from home today, I had this show on in the background.  I looked up and was like what is that chick doing?  Constant with the hair in her face, bending over, etc., etc. 

I actually mentioned (via chat) with a co-worker, wow this is one whackadoodle.   They said well it makes for great tv, but I was like nah, this is way beyond anything I've seen.  Kim has issues.  

And she's now going to be a surgeon?  She's maybe taking a biology class online.  Maybe she's going to be a medical assistant?  

I don't think that was her house either.  What did she do for a living?  Hair model?  Cousin Itt body double?  She couldn't be in any sort of service job, because everyone would be looking at her. 

Don't understand how Matt was now a godfather.  I would have expected that they stayed cordial, exchanging emails or chats every once in a while.  Run, Matt, run!!

• Love 5

Three months later, Kim -- who, in the only decision of hers of which I approve thus far, has removed her dumb lip rings -- says she's "back at school," which turns out to be "taking online classes": "I'm going for a surgeon." OH, SWEET JESUS. Imagine having this maladjusted psycho as your SURGEON.

Just when you thought this episode couldn't get any stranger, that came along.
And I'm glad they didn't talk her into flying, because they'd have probably had to land to offload her.
I'm sorry if the drugs really messed her up, but glad that Norma has a good father, and Matt escaped.
A thought--if she's learning surgery, maybe she could go in practice with the guy from an earlier season, or was taking online classes to be an anesthesiologist.

• Love 3

Well this episode wasn’t boring,i’ll Give them that. 

I got the impression that Matt was open to exploring a relationship but when they met he was completely turned off by kim’s behavior at the meeting,by acting so childish & awkward ,more then he was about her having a child. I mean for Christ sake she wouldn’t even look at him,not even the next day after every thing had calmed down. He wanted to talk like the adults that they are but she was still so frantic. I’d walk to. 

It was annoying how Nev told Matt on video chat it was great that he was going to be a good “fatherly” figure to Norma. What a slap in the face that is to say when Norma’s REAL Father appears to be an active part in her life.  She has a Father. Anyone her mom dates needs to respect that. Point blank.  He deserves that title more then any random guy.

I continue to love the “Meeting” day outfits these People wear to meet the loves of their life! 

That dirty sweat stain white bra, peeking out of the raggedy spaghetti strap tank,faded jeans, moldy looking boots was the perfect choice!!! 

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Love 9

I'm not convinced that Matt's Plenty Of Fish pic was actually him. Unless he decided to completely change his image into emo dude at some point after that pic was taken, that pic looked like a completely different person.

Anyone else think that Joe is the primary caretaker for Norma in that relationship? It kinda bugged that she kept going on about how hard it is to be a single mom when her ex lives with her and co-parents. Kim seemed so immature and weird. Even with one eye, Matt could see that train wreck from miles away. Count me among those surprised that he decided to stay in her life as a friend. He’s definitely the better person. I just hope they don’t do something stupid like become friends with benefits during her visit. 

Good for Kim for going back to school (in some form), but she’s delusional about becoming a surgeon. Kim is in no way equipped to handle the stress of med school much less the job itself. She could barely handle a coherent conversation with all those involved in this episode. 

• Love 15

Kim was crazy as a goddamn loon. Full stop. Her hysterical flinging herself to the ground every five minutes was beyond tiresome. She wasn't socially awkward or shy. She was utterly socially inept. "So, do you still hate children?" "Mind if I go for a run?" "Stop looking at me". How does she conduct her life?

Kim at a coffee shop: "I have a terror of loud noises, please don't run the grinder while I'm here"

KIm at the grocery store: "Oh my god I forgot my coupons!" (flings hair over face, runs out of the store weeping)

Kim at school: "what am I doing here? I'm too shy to interact with my fellow human beings!" (hurls herself to the floor, hides face in hands, goes for run)

I felt bad for Matt. And, as usual, I wanted to punch Nev in the throat. What was with all the "are you prepared to be a stepfather to Norma?" shit? These people are supposedly 20 years old! Why was he laying it on so thick that Matt should start a real relationship with Krazy Kim and live happily ever after?

• Love 11
10 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

She's the oldest looking 20 year old I've ever seen.  She's 20 right? Said she met the guy when she was 15 and that was 5 years ago?

That had me confused the whooooole episode.  She looks mid-30s but acts like a 5 year old. And then kids mixed with the Matt dude living with his mom... and moving with his mom..... my brain was having a hard time computing that these are essentially kids.  There's no way Joe is early 20s. 

10 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

And she's now going to be a surgeon?  She's maybe taking a biology class online.  Maybe she's going to be a medical assistant?  

nope nope nope.  

This was the weirdest episode EVER and it gave me so much anxiety just watching her.  She needs to get some therapy or something to help her cope with stressful situations.  What's even more bizarre is that she seemed pretty normal the first time she met Nev and Max which you think would be the MOST stressful moment.  And I'm with someone else who said - how is she getting all these guys!?!? 

And it seems fishy that she has a boyfriend now but is taking a trip to see Matt.  And I'm iffy on the god father thing... like I kinda get it because they're been really good friends for 5 years.  I've had that type of connection with someone online years ago - so I get it but I never would have went to visit him if I had a serious boyfriend.

• Love 4

When they showed her on the hammock, my first thought was that she was actually bent over the hammock and we were seeing her backside, but no it was just her hair... Actually I found it really triggering to watch Kim's anxiety disorder being acted out so physically. I would suggest wearing baggy clothes (huge hoop dresses!), with vieled hats and parasols to better facilitate hiding on the spot when in public. If Matt really grew up with 14 siblings (according to the chat blurbs at the beginning of the episode, one of them did--but this odd fact was never brought up again) then it's quite understandable that he wouldn't want kids, or at least that he would say that when they met and he was 15 years old.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Glade said:

When they showed her on the hammock, my first thought was that she was actually bent over the hammock and we were seeing her backside, but no it was just her hair... Actually I found it really triggering to watch Kim's anxiety disorder being acted out so physically. I would suggest wearing baggy clothes (huge hoop dresses!), with vieled hats and parasols to better facilitate hiding on the spot when in public. If Matt really grew up with 14 siblings (according to the chat blurbs at the beginning of the episode, one of them did--but this odd fact was never brought up again) then it's quite understandable that he wouldn't want kids, or at least that he would say that when they met and he was 15 years old.

The whole kid thing was just odd. 

Matt is young, a lot of young men are going to say they don’t want kids ever. Especially guys who are ages 15-21. They had that adult conversation as 15 year olds,stilll kids themselves. I’m not saying all guys are lying about not wanting kids,but I think it was a giant leap for her to take it so serious,they could’ve had that serious adult conversation  as 2 people,face to face in their 20s if she would have pulled herself together,look at him & speak.

• Love 3

I feel bad criticizing someone who so obviously has some sort of disorder (even if the disorder is simply seeing attention -- she clearly needs it in some pathological way, so I still have pity), but I can't remember an episode where I was that uncomfortable.

We can only hope "I'm going for a surgeon" meant "I'm going to school so I can look for a surgeon."

• Love 4
20 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I feel bad criticizing someone who so obviously has some sort of disorder (even if the disorder is simply seeing attention -- she clearly needs it in some pathological way, so I still have pity), but I can't remember an episode where I was that uncomfortable.

We can only hope "I'm going for a surgeon" meant "I'm going to school so I can look for a surgeon."

I happened to catch this episode couldn't help think similar things. She was all over the place. A surgeon? Maybe she should start with basic anatomy and physiology and see how she grasps that? Not just that, but is a stressful situation gonna freak her out and send her running out of the OR? I'm all for big dreams, but, I dunno. Who knows, maybe some day she'll prove us all wrong. 

Matt seems like a saint. 

• Love 2

So I just watched this one. WTF was that? How does this girl keep meeting guys who would date her? How does she have a job? How the hell does she even go shopping? She is just dysfunctional. Thank god the baby daddy is in the picture as he seems like a really great, stand up guy. Lord knows her mother is a terrible role model so at least she has her dad. Which is why I don't get Nev pushing the daddy angle with Matt. Matt is not a father figure to this child, she already has one, in her actual father. I also don't get why Matt would still want to spend time with this whack job. The whole thing feels like a set up, it was either scripted by production or it was just a way for Kim and Matt who had already agreed to meet, to do it for free. Nothing about this felt real in any way. I mean, they both act like they are super shy, don't like to be photographed, etc, yet both agree to be on a national TV show? Nope. Don't buy it for a second. 

• Love 2
On 1/19/2018 at 10:06 PM, gesundheit said:

Or as she's a bit strange, she wants to be a sturgeon.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 2:42 PM, pollybygolly said:

I think she ACCIDENTALLY kicked a cop in the nuts as she was flopping to the ground to hide under her hair.  Her foot must have flown up.

If there was actually a pair of cops involved, one could have been holding her from behind when she started kicking and accidentally hit his partner, who she didn't even see through the hair in front of her face.

Interesting post by Kim’s sister Sonya on Facebook. She seems to confirm things we’ve known all along like the use of Air BnB’s and providing the parties with transportation to get to where they are taping. It sounds like Kim and Joe’s relationship is very volatile, which is sad for Norma. Sonya said that Kim’s mental issues have been there from a young age and I’m sure drug and alcohol use by Joe and Kim in addition to that probably contributes to all the fights. I hope Kim gets the help she so obviously needs, but it doesn’t seem likely at this point. Sonya said that Kim is on SSI, has never held a job, has only recently got her GED and is not in college. It’s pretty shady that the show talked Kim into deleting photos of her child on social media to further the storyline. I’m sure it’s not the first time they’ve done something like that. 

Edited by Angeleyes
  • Love 2
On 1/22/2018 at 1:56 PM, Angeleyes said:

It’s pretty shady that the show talked Kim into deleting photos of her child on social media to further the storyline. 

Or maybe it was a kindness. I think the kid should be shielded from the airing of all this family drama.

• Love 3