Type keyword(s) to search

Somebody Feed Phil - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought this was a great episode to start the season! My mouth was watering while watching him eat all of that street food.

I know that Phil isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love that he clearly enjoys what he's doing. Although I enjoy watching Anthony Bourdain, it's obvious when he feels like what he's doing is a chore or he isn't enjoying himself. Phil, on the other hand, is always delighted by the people he meets, the food he eats, and the places he visits, which I love.

The temples he visited were beautiful and I appreciated his reminder that as lovely as they look in pictures, there's nothing compared to seeing them in person. In this digital age where you can find pictures of just about anything, it's good to be reminded that there's no substitute for traveling and experiencing things in person.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I want to try everything at Maison Marou! Like Phil, I loooooooove chocolate.

I have to admit that I am a bit spoiled, so if someone told me that I was going to get up at 4am to harvest lotus roots in the dark, I would not be nearly as cheerful as Phil was. I should add that I loathe the taste and texture of lotus roots so there would be just about zero motivation for me to want to harvest fresh ones to eat later!

• LOL 1

One of my former coworkers was from Israel so he was constantly complaining about how terrible the produce here in the United States is. He would wax poetic about how the best cucumbers IN THE WORLD were from Israel. So for that reason alone, I was both interested/attentive during that farmers' market segment while also giggling to myself and hoping that I would get a glimpse of THE BEST CUCUMBERS IN THE WORLD.

One important thing that Phil pointed out about travel (when discussing his previous trip to Israel) is how important it is to see things that you are interested in. I'm all for locals showing you their favorite stuff, but at the same time, if it's stuff that you are totally uninterested in then you probably won't enjoy your experience there. It was obvious that he was having a much better experience this time around.

I was cracking up at their disbelief that the hummus shop was never really a synagogue.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In this digital age where you can find pictures of just about anything, it's good to be reminded that there's no substitute for traveling and experiencing things in person.

I so agree! It took me well over 60 years to travel to Europe for pleasure. I hate to fly, and 3 years my husband suggested taking the QM2 to England. On that trip we went to Paris, and our 1st day there I was absolutely blown away be its beauty. There was mostly nothing I saw I hadn't seen in pictures, but seeing it in person was mind blowing.

I loved "I'll have what Phil's having". and have added this to my watch list on Netflix.

• Love 3

A friend of mine just moved back to the United States from Lisbon so I was really looking forward to this episode. I was actually planning to visit my friend while he lived in Lisbon but I just never got my shit together to do it, and I really regret it because Lisbon looks awesome!

I am always up for custard tarts so I would have been stopping at very pasteis de nata place I saw. The segment with the motorcycle side car cracked me up because I kept hearing Lindsay from You're the Worst saying, "Sidecars are for dogs and poor people."

Interesting that Phil compared Lisbon to San Francisco (I currently live in the Bay Area), complete with the shot of the red bridge that looks like the Golden Gate Bridge.

I loved the scene where Phil went for ice cream at the Italian place and ended up with pizza from the guy next door from Rome and then sausage from the Austrian girl across the street. It's always nice to see ex-pats thriving and helping each other out.

For anyone who's interested in going to Lisbon but doesn't speak Portuguese, my friend said that EVERYONE there speaks English. He learned Portuguese before he moved there and then found that everywhere he went, as soon as he tried speaking Portuguese, people would recognize his accent and start speaking to him in English. He did say that the Portuguese natives appreciated that he made an effort to speak Portuguese though, so it's worth it to learn some basic phrases. Just don't put off going if the language barrier is your major concern.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I so agree! It took me well over 60 years to travel to Europe for pleasure. I hate to fly, and 3 years my husband suggested taking the QM2 to England. On that trip we went to Paris, and our 1st day there I was absolutely blown away be its beauty. There was mostly nothing I saw I hadn't seen in pictures, but seeing it in person was mind blowing.

I loved "I'll have what Phil's having". and have added this to my watch list on Netflix.

I realized this the first time I went to Hawaii. We went to Waimea Canyon which was breathtaking. I took almost an entire roll of film (heh, remember that?) while I was there. When I got back from our trip and developed the pictures, they didn't capture the scope or the experience at all. To be honest, my photos made this gigantic canyon look like a bunch of brown rocks. Everything looked so flat and uninteresting. All I could think was, "But it doesn't look like this in real life! It's so much better!"

I'm glad your husband convinced you to go and that it was even better than it was in pictures! I still haven't been to Paris. Both of my sisters have gone and as usual, I'm the one lagging behind.

• Love 3

I haven't been to New Orleans since before Hurricane Katrina so I was really looking forward to this episode. I've been meaning to go back for ages but the stars haven't aligned yet. Watching this made me want to jump on a plane and go!

I was laughing at all the ridiculous stories that Phil made up when people asked him what he was filming. I think the Real Housewives of New Orleans was my favorite story ("They wanted a shot of me walking down the street looking sad") but the woman who was told he was the next Bachelor was my favorite reaction ("Well, good luck with that, baby!").

I LOVE that he got to be at Nikki's wedding! So sweet.

The kid who taught him how to play the trombone was really patient.

Loved seeing him with Leah Chase. I hope I'm that spry at 93. Her story about slapping Obama's hand was hilarious.

• Love 1

I have a step-daughter and family who live there. (Uptown near Tulane). We visit twice a year, but rarely get to visit the cities icons. Last year good friends son got married Dec 30, so we combined a wedding visit and family visit. Lots of good times in the French Quarter, and had New Years Eve dinner at Emeril's NOLA. Yum!

• Love 1

A friend of mine just went to Mexico City about a month ago so I was excited to see where Phil went while he was there. I hope Ricky the random tourist appreciated that delicious pastor taco! Mmmmmm.

The udder and throat tacos were the first thing I remember Phil not liking since he had the thousand year egg on I'll Have What Phil's Having. He didn't seem too fond of the liquor he got at the bakery either. But considering how many things he ate this season, that's still pretty good.

Churros and chocolate - yum! Fresh churros are a million times better than the crappy ones they sell at Cost Co. When the guy poured all that extra sugar and cinnamon on top, it reminded me of getting beignets in New Orleans. I'll take all the extra sugar you're willing to give me.

The canals were really peaceful and beautiful (although I'm pretty sure it's not as peaceful in the middle of the day when all the party boats are out). he two puppies and their momma were just killing me with their cuteness. I didn't know that Mexico City was built on top of a huge filled in lake though, so I definitely learned something in this episode.

The pink mole was really interesting. I'm trying to imagine what white chocolate, beets, and peppercorn taste like as a sauce.

I am not a morning person, so driving somewhere at 4am to get breakfast seems a bit much to me, but I did appreciate Phil's analogy to athletes. I live in California so it made me think about how some people will get up before dawn so they can surf before work, so I guess I kind of get it.

• Love 1

For a brief time a few years ago, considered moving to Portugal as a retired ex-pat. The language seems so difficult to learn, so sort of forgot about it. Now I wish we had, nothing to do with this episode.

But absolutely to do with this episode, Lisbon looks amazing. Except maybe for the seven hills! Was a little disappointed that they didn't cover the Portuguese wine industry, but I realize that Phil isn't much of a drinker. Even though wine is always at dinner, that's not what this show is about. 

This show is really good for travel advertising, no wonder the famous chefs and food writers drop everything to spend time with Phil.

15 hours ago, halopub said:

Raan Jay Fai was awarded a Michelin star after filming and online reviewers have been planning five hour waits.  According to Eater Jay Fai wants to give back the star.

Phil mentioned this in one of his recent interviews (I may have posted it in the media thread but I can't remember). According to him, she said the award was "too much." I can't blame her. Not everyone wants that kind of fame or volume of business.

Heh, as much as I want that crab omelette, I wouldn't wait five hours for it.

Cape Town should be great. Venice needs a lot fewer tourists, though, not more.

I only scanned it quickly, but Phil also posted pics from Buenos Aires, Dublin and Copenhagen on Instagram. I've become a big fan of øllebrød and desserts with seabuckthorn so I'm looking forward to the Denmark episode.

I do like Phil's enthusiasm, but I don't need to see so many shots of just Phil talking at the camera. The beautiful shots of food and scenery are what keeps me watching. Props to the camera people!

• LOL 1

Venice is such a seafood kind of place and usually our last stop when we travel to Italy.  By then, we are so tired of pasta and pizza that we've been known to hit the Hard Rock Cafe for a burger, settle for a plate of sliced meats plus bread, or have a bowl of pasta e fagioli.  There's also a Chinese restaurant that is always empty when we go there.

Spouse is allergic to scaled fish so he's really up a creek.  But we found a wonderful place with unique pasta on our last trip - Osteria da Carla - tiny but wonderful.

• Love 1

I had to laugh, Phil's famous pork chop looks almost exactly like the breaded pork tenderloin that I order at a Bohemian restaurant by my house.  Except they serve it with a ton of brown gravy to pour over it.  Next time I bring one home I'm going to cut off a piece and try some white vinegar on it.

And now I really want to visit Venice. 

• Like 1

We went to Florence and Rome last year, and so many of my friends said, you're not going to Venice? No, not on my bucket list. I enjoyed the Venice show but affirmed my desire to not go to Venice. I enjoyed Florence and Rome, but I found the Italians to be very disorganized and in general rude, especially the men. I have no desire to return to Italy. People talk about the French being rude, but we found if you start each encounter with "Bonjour Monsieur or Madam, they are just as nice as can be.

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than I thought I would.  The other cities have always brought a touch of the exotic, NYC, not so much.  But I appreciated that Phil just took us places that he knew well like Nathan's and Zabar's (and I finally get the Zabar's reference in Marvelous Mrs Maisel!) and the only chi-chi place was Blue Hill at Stone Farm. 

There's an Irish pub in San Diego that serves boxties and I used to love going there in college because boxties are DELICIOUS, but I didn't realize that they came in different forms until I saw this episode.

I grew up in California so I am a wuss about the cold which means I could totally relate to Phil getting cold just watching all of those people swim in the freezing water! I was surprised that he decided to go swim with them the next time. I give him points for bravery because I was shivering just watching them from my nice warm house.

But I still had to laugh when he complained about how cold the water was before he even started collecting any seaweed.

I am also with Phil on bees. I like them in theory because we need them to pollinate plants and honey is delicious, but I do not want to be around them. I am allergic to bee stings so that may have a slight influence on my feelings, but I hated being around them even before I got stung and my entire forearm swelled up for a week. I can't imagine putting on one of those suits and deliberately walking up to a hive.

I love that the hippies still give out free porridge/oatmeal for breakfast every morning. And it looked pretty good with all that fresh fruit! My childhood experience with oatmeal with Quaker Instant Oats so it wasn't until my mid 20s that I had any kind of non-instant oatmeal. I don't make it often but when I do, I love adding all kinds of berries. Their oatmeal looked very hearty.

I was surprised that Phil didn't visit Frances Mallmann since that has become the default thing to do for food shows in Argentina, but I was totally fine with that decision because he still ate lots of food.

His tango teacher was so positive and supportive. Everyone needs a teacher like that! I totally cracked up when his mom later said that she loved watching him tango and his dad said she didn't know how to dance.

I love steak and meat, but after a few days of that I'm pretty sure I'd be heading straight for that place with all the veggie dishes just for a change of pace. After that much meat, I would need a palate cleanser of lighter food. It didn't hurt that everything she made looked delicious.

Phil in the gaucho outfit was cute. I loved that despite his initial trepidation, he ended up enjoying his horseback riding.

I am not into rye bread so I was a little skeptical about the sandwiches but once I saw all the toppings, I was sold!

I don't need this to become the Phil & family show, but I like seeing his wife and kids every once in a while. I had to laugh at the story about his daughter wanting to go to Disneyland as a little kid and then wanting to leave after one ride. Kids! But it's obvious that he is a doting dad who adores his kids so it was sweet to see them at Tivoli Gardens.

A friend of mind did her semester abroad in Copenhagen and LOVED it. I'll admit that Denmark wasn't super high on my list of places to visit in Europe because I love carbs and would rather go to Italy, France, and Spain to stuff my face, but Copenhagen was really beautiful so it's moved up a little bit in my rankings.

Hahahaha, Phil is definitely one of those people who does NOT need extra cups of coffee so I was imagining him bouncing off the walls for hours after that coffee tasting.

That was a lot of different kind of antelope, but it all looked pretty delicious. It's always a little disorienting to see people in another part of the world eating animals that I have only seen in the zoo, but I get that it's abundant there so of course that's what they're going to eat.

I was happy they got to go to the Noma pop up for someone who loves food as much of Phi, I imagine it was annoying to realize they would be going during when it was closed to move, Noma’s new location has opened and looks breathtaking, I hope I get to go back.

I forgot about that because I was so focused on Tivoli Gardens but I loved how delighted Phil was when he was able to go to the Noma pop up! I can't imagine how disappointed he must have been when he found out that Noma was between locations during his visit. When Mr. EB and I were planning a trip to Italy, we found out that the Trevi fountain would be closed. Not quite the same thing, but still.

The Chicago episode is okay, but he ate a Chicago hotdog at the wrong place. Instead of the very upscale Chicago Athletic Club, Phil should have gone to the Weiner’s Circle. The food comes with a side of sass/grief/tease from the famously hilarious ladies who work there. Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda. Conan at the Weiner’s Circle. 

Meanwhile, where’s  Phil’s mom? I gotta bad feeling (dad’s not in their old place and looks frail).😢

• Love 1