Type keyword(s) to search

Aladdin (1994) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Please tell me I'm not the only one that remembers this show.  Aladdin was my favorite Disney movie, and so I adored this series as a child.  There was great stories, great character development, and some cool villains -- although a lot of them had lame name puns (Ayam Aghoul, Abis Mal, etc).  Still, tt was so much fun.  Also, I was too little to realize that Genie's voice was different, though now it's kind of obvious, LOL.

• Love 3

I love the original movie as a kid, and you know what? I love the sequels too! They were one of the few sequels that didn't involve the Disney characters having children that get mad at their parents for so-and-so...

I liked the King of Thieves better than Return of Jafar because they story was better. And of course Robin Williams came back. I'm so glad we got to have him play Genie one last time. God I miss him so much. *sniff*

It will be interesting to see how Will Smith will compare in the live action movie. Man, I'm really nervous about that one, even though the cast looks great. Especially Mena Massoud (Aladdin). Me-yow!

• Love 1

There's a live action movie coming out?  Is that why this board was suddenly created?  It seemed weird for a board to pop up for a 24 year old cartoon series.

I also loved the show and the movies.  Watched the show every day after school.

• Love 1

I totally didn't get the punny nature of Ayam Aghoul's name until just now, 25 years later....

Aghoul was always my favorite villain for some reason.  I guess the spooky supernatural nature of him.  I love a good lich.

• Love 1

My favorite villain was a toss up between Mirage and Mozenwrath.

I did find Abis Mal entertaining.

28 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

I totally didn't get the punny nature of Ayam Aghoul's name until just now, 25 years later....

I didn't get ANY of the puns til I was older, so you aren't alone.  But they should have been obvious.  Sultan Pasta Al Dente?  Seriously, show?!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

I just want the 1994 version back on the big screen for a release. They did it with "Lion King," "Beauty and the Beast" and others in the past few years. I loved it as a kid. My favorite sequel was "Return of Jafar."

OMG, they're doing a live action? On the one hand, I'm excited because Aladdin is my fave Disney Classic.

But, on the other hand, noooooooooooo! 

Course, it might be different cause I've never been big on Beauty & The Beast or Cinderella, so my reaction to those movies could just be that I was never a fan in the first place.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Is this on any of the streaming services? I kind of want to give the series a rewatch now.

There were some on YouTube a while ago. I don't know if that's still the case. When it doubt, Google it.

What they SHOULD do is release it on DVD!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
On 1/17/2018 at 3:00 PM, Silverglitter said:

OMG, they're doing a live action? On the one hand, I'm excited because Aladdin is my fave Disney Classic.

But, on the other hand, noooooooooooo! 

My thoughts exactly. I really don't need them ruining anymore of my young memories with horrendous remakes. Not to mention, the legendary Robin Williams won't be making an appearance. ):

• Love 1
On 1/17/2018 at 2:12 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I just want the 1994 version back on the big screen for a release. They did it with "Lion King," "Beauty and the Beast" and others in the past few years. I loved it as a kid. My favorite sequel was "Return of Jafar."

The original came out when I was in college; the tag says 1994 but it came out in 1992.  I remember driving to the mall that was not that close to campus to see it with my (now long ago ex) boyfriend.

I saw it three times in the theatre and would absolutely go see it tomorrow if I could.  It’s my second favorite Disney movie after “The Fox and the Hound”.

I still have the set of Aladdin Burger King toys and McDonald’s glasses, back when they did awesome movie tie-ins.  When we would drive back to campus (my school was within driving distance from home) we would stop at the Burger King on the way every time because they would only release one toy at a time and I didn’t want to miss anything.  

I didn’t know they were doing a live action of this too (seriously, can they just stop) and I have to give it a hard pass.  No Robin Williams, no me.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The original came out when I was in college; the tag says 1994 but it came out in 1992.  

The 1994 is for the television series which was launched after the movie.

My memory is fuzzy about the episodes-I was invested in Gargoyles at the time.?

• Love 1

I don't think they need a live action version either. Genie will always be Robin Williams to me.

However, he's gone. It's painful. But I accept that. And if they can pull it off, then I'm willing to keep an open mind. No matter what I will always love the original. That will never change.

30 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Do you remember the sequels though?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't think they need a live action version either. Genie will always be Robin Williams to me.

Same here. I don’t know that Will Smith won’t ham it up.

3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Do you remember the sequels though?

You mean the straight to home dvd movies? Oh yes! And I have them!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh.  I have no recollection of this!  Thank you!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

However, he's gone. It's painful. But I accept that. And if they can pull it off, then I'm willing to keep an open mind. No matter what I will always love the original. That will never change.

I agree! If they can pull this off, I’m all for it.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Camera One said:

They did a good job of re-inventing the Genie for the stage musical, so I am guessing the movie version will be more in that vein.  

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed that they didn't cast James Monroe Ingleheart (who played Genie on Broadway) for the movie because he was fantastic.

• Love 1

Wait what- Will Smith will be the genie in the live action Aladdin? Not sure how I feel about this. 

I enjoyed the animated series, but so many of the episodes had no Jasmine! Aladdin was her fiancé and was just having a grand ole time while she was learning to rule Agraba. 

• Love 1

I wish they'd release this series on DVD or at least digitally. It's still the best TV series, imo, although the Tangled series has been better than I ever expected for that movie.

I haven't seen the show in quite a while. I wonder why it isn't aired on one of the 4-6 channels Disney has, even if it's around 1am. Such a shame they have good shows like this one that they keep hidden away in a vault somewhere.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I haven't seen the show in quite a while. I wonder why it isn't aired on one of the 4-6 channels Disney has, even if it's around 1am. Such a shame they have good shows like this one that they keep hidden away in a vault somewher

I know, right?!  But since a lot of old cartoons (Disney and otherwise) have been released on DVD lately.  Maybe with the new movie coming out, they'll want to take the opportunity to finally release it...I can always hope.