Type keyword(s) to search

Making A Model With Yolanda Hadid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Episode 7:  Nice to see a Makenzie win - her headshots were gorgeous.  I feel a little bad for Lilyan, as she was styled and guided by Gigi.  Too bad Gigi was misguided.  Neither Athena or Mikayla are used to not winning, and the humbling probably did them some good.  Carrington is not model material, IMO.  

Episode 8:  Yo lied to the IMG rep - Athena is not 5'6".  As a potential manager, Yolanda should have all of their stats memorized.  None of the girls were dressed appropriately for a go see - jeans, tank, heels, pony tail - and that's on Yo.  Some came close, but all wore their hair down.  A 16 y/o who's already graduated is "smart".  A 19 y/o lying about her age who's graduated - expected.  Breanna had "just turned 14" in her first go see, yet was back to 13 y/o at her second.  I'm surprised that Athena won, but happy that Mikayla and Karen did not win.  I thought it would be between Makenzie and Mikayla.  Athena is not going to be model height, IMO.  I'm 5'9' now, and was 5'5" by the time I was twelve.  Good luck, Athena!  

I'm up for a second season.

• Love 6

I'm on Cox so they had all the shows back-to-back on Saturday.  Sooooo, if you haven't watched all of them.  DON'T READ THIS FURTHER! 

Well, I was surprised to say the least as to who the winner was.  First, I was really glad to see Makenzie come out of her shell and pull of that gorgeous shot.  However, she still seemed a bit tentative and shy at the shoot.  But, Tommy Hilfiger was right.  That was a money head shot for sure.  She looked fantastic, youthful and fresh.  Lilyan, I think I finally spelled it right, was just not high fashion model material.  Sorry honey.   But more important, she and her mother Kat need some real life lessons on how to be a kinder, more compassionate human being.  Their nasty gossip and negative, bitch sessions were so annoying and ugly.  BUT.... it did make for some good tv drama.  I'm going to group Breanna and Carrington together. Both are beautiful girls and have a unique look.  Carrington had "The Face" and Breanna had the more modelesque figure, but both were not quite able to strike a winning pose.  Mikalya, Mikalya, I thought she would be the winner due to her height, walk, look, and personality.  She had THE LOOK in my opinion.  BUT.... having said that, I did think her Tommy Hilfiger pic was not as impressive as Makenzie's.  Still, you were my pic for the win Mikayla and I do hope you continue on your quest to become a model.  You will do well.  FINALLY, I come to Athena.   I can see why Yolanda picked her.  She had a beautiful and exotic face.  And that hair, OMG, it was gorgeous.  Her personality was adorable and she took direction well.  My only concern for her is that she will not reach the height needed to become a runway model.  I think if she did get the height, she would be booked a lot as well.  Remember she was 5'4".  There are a few super models that are 5'7", Kate Moss, Lottie Moss, Lily-Rose Depp, Hailey Baldwin, Cara Delevingne just to name a few.   So, it could happen.  Good show overall!

• Love 4

Random thoughts:

I was really surprised by how much I liked Carrington. I hate that she lied about her age though. She's very personable. I can see why she's been able to amass as many followers as she has.

Wow, editing monkeys, way to make me dislike Karen and question what Makayla's true personality is. My take on them is that as long as they are winning and on top and everything is going their way, they're sweet as pie, but when things don't, watch out. The claws come out.

I loved the shoot with Gigi. She just seems like such an awesome young woman. I want to see Making a Model with Gigi Hadid.

I really didn't care who won as long as it wasn't Lilyan. Athena is a gorgeous girl, for sure. Mackenzie as well. It will be interesting to see where they all take this opportunity.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, anniebird said:

I'm curious as to why you think Lilyan should have won. 

I think (hopefully RHZ will confirm) she was referring to the challenge where there were two winners, not two winners for the show. It was Lilyan's only good performance and maybe she could have gotten half a win just to be recognized for finally doing something that didn't suck?

ETA: I am not asking this to sound bitchy but seriously curious ... what is wrong with Gigi's voice? Has it always sounded like that? It's like she's speaking with some sort of weird "vibrato app" effect on it. Wonder if it's a vocal cord issue or that's just her voice. (PS I think she is absolutely dropdead gorgeous. A lot of times I don't "get it" with certain modelistas but she is all that and a bag of low-fat chips.)

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 7

Although I personally thought she was most stunning (height aside), it kind of seemed out of the blue that Athena was chosen. (Even to Athena!) I think Yolanda totally planned to pick someone else but IMG pretty much told her who they wanted and would promote and that's why Yolanda suddenly "had to go with her heart." Yeah I really don't remember "all those times" Athena just "made me cry" or whatever bullshit Yolanda was dishing out. 

• Love 1

I’m a bit behind as I was out of town and the final episodes were not available on iTunes! Watching eps 6 now and IMHO Yo Yo is a horrible “coach” and I wonder who mentored her daughters. Certainly not her.

6 hours ago, AtomicPlayGirl said:

I am glad Lilyan didn't place because deep down she is a disrespectful snot. 

Her and her mom are just horrible inside and out sadly. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, AtomicPlayGirl said:

Athena won that?!!   They are all gonna look super dumb in a few years when Athena fails to grow taller. It aint happening. I am glad Lilyan didn't place because deep down she is a disrespectful snot. 

This is exactly how I feel.

Plus her mother annoyed me. I know that's not Athena's fault, but her mother would have been the kill factor.

I think if they continue to do this show, maybe get rid of the moms who are some of the cattiest snots I've ever seen on a reality show. And no, I don't watch the Housewives shows. LOL.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

I like modeling shows in general but don't like Yolanda or the format of the show. If they are pretending to mentor fourteen year old girls, then lets see them show them how to put on makeup, walk the runway, answer interview questions. Then after they have learned some lessons, we can see them practice. Here it seems like they are expected to google how to do things and then go out there with no practice. Of course, I get it that lots of this stuff is out on google, but it's not the same as one on one coaching.

I also think she needs to pick taller girls. It is true that girls usually stop growing at puberty (myself and every one I know stopped growing the year we got our first period). Now that hormones/antibiotics in food makes girls have early puberty, there may still be some later growth, but it's not likely that a girl that is 5'3 at 13 or 14 will be much taller than 5'4 or 5'5-girls just don't usually get those big growth spurts boys do. 

• Love 6
On 2/16/2018 at 8:12 PM, TVbitch said:

Although I personally thought she was most stunning (height aside), it kind of seemed out of the blue that Athena was chosen. (Even to Athena!) I think Yolanda totally planned to pick someone else but IMG pretty much told her who they wanted and would promote and that's why Yolanda suddenly "had to go with her heart." Yeah I really don't remember "all those times" Athena just "made me cry" or whatever bullshit Yolanda was dishing out. 

Hm. I took it as IMG wanted someone else--- the natural assumption is Mikayla, although Mackensie came on strong in the end--- but Yolanda went out on a limb & picked Athena. Maybe I need to rewatch the finale. My short attention span couldn't handle all that binge-watching & I faded in & out.

On 11/02/2018 at 4:10 PM, rlc said:

This can’t be real, can it? Would someone really go and change their new hair color two days later and not expect consequences?

She has a horrible attitude and think she should have been told off.

Like this is your last strike and then you will be asked to leave. Her hair did look horrible though- BUT, it was not up to her to change it.

• Love 2
On February 15, 2018 at 9:03 AM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I think (hopefully RHZ will confirm) she was referring to the challenge where there were two winners, not two winners for the show. It was Lilyan's only good performance and maybe she could have gotten half a win just to be recognized for finally doing something that didn't suck?

ETA: I am not asking this to sound bitchy but seriously curious ... what is wrong with Gigi's voice? Has it always sounded like that? It's like she's speaking with some sort of weird "vibrato app" effect on it. Wonder if it's a vocal cord issue or that's just her voice. (PS I think she is absolutely dropdead gorgeous. A lot of times I don't "get it" with certain modelistas but she is all that and a bag of low-fat chips.)

You're correct. Thank you!

On 2/12/2018 at 8:28 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I'm kind of glad that Lifetime decided to dump this. No need to feed Yolanda's ego. She can be so obnoxious. She really reacted poorly to Diana voicing her concerns. We heard her telling Karen to hold back so that they could sit next to each other at "Kinky Boots." And she only criticized Diana for speaking to the hair stylist before the Georgine show; Karen was chatting away, telling one of the backstage crew about traveling to France, etc.

Carrington was pretty cool, telling Mikayla and Lilyan that she didn't consider herself a loser for landing on the bottom. And that she was proud of Mikayla for her win. I half expected someone to realize, "Hey, you're not sixteen. You're too mature to be sixteen."

I agree with all of this.

I was surprised to find that I enjoyed this show, but it did nothing to diminish my dislike for Yolanda.  I'm kind of sorry they burned off the last few episodes, since that's clearly an indication that ratings weren't good and this show is done.  But it does give me a special kind of joy knowing that Yolanda's ego had to have taken a huge hit.  She's not the TV star she wants to be, and she's not the mentor to all that she wants to be.   She keeps trying to make herself happen, and clearly not a lot of people were interested in watching her preach and act superior.  Those of us who watched her on RH of Beverly Hills saw her pontificating and judging the other women all the time.  It got old fast, and isn't any better when she's supposedly helping young girls.  I saw more bragging and criticizing than actual help.

Yes, Carrington was far nicer than I had expected.  More mature too, even taking into consideration that she's actually not sixteen.  A lot of nineteen year olds wouldn't have gone into this with her positive attitude.  

• Love 4

Just started watching this in the UK and I'm hooked already so I wanted to have my say- I'm only on episode 5 but I know who wins haha ahh well!

Makenzie- Stunning figure, perfect for modelling but looks wise I think she's a little bit plain. Having said that, I think she makes up well and will probably go prettier when she gets a bit older. Some of her photos are stunning and I think overall, she's probably the one who looks like the model the most. I hate how whiney she is though- I appreciate that she has anxiety but it's getting a little annoying when little things like a rope burn are making her cry. I do feel that she is being pushed out of the group though and that's not fair.

Mikayla- Pretty girl, lovely figure but not getting that model vibe off her. I think she'd be better suited to commercials. I can't see her making it big in all honesty and her mom drives me insane! But she has a nice personality. She should consider acting or something in all honesty.

Athena- WOW! Beautiful girl! She has such a gorgeous face and reminds me a little of Zendaya. However- 5'3? Even at 13 that's quite short, most runway models are 5'9 AT LEAST. If she doesn't grow she won't make it. I think she should also consider commercial model which will lead her to petite modelling and make up modelling. Face wise, she's perfect for modelling, she's absolutely gorgeous and is by far the prettiest one there!

Breanna- I don't find her particularly attractive... however! She's quite striking and unusual looking a lot of runway models are a bit plain to look at but they have unusual features. She's also got the best figure out of them all and she knows how to model.

Lilyan- Horrible girl. But is that because of her mom? I don't know... don't understand why she is there because she isn't that attractive, but unlike Breanna, she doesn't even have a model's face. She's got a lovely little curvy figure but not a model figure. So I don't get it. Having said all of that, I don't understand why she had to dye her hair brown? If she wants to be blonde that's fine. And I thought it was quite catty of Yolanda to bring a new blonde girl in who judging by her brown roots, clearly isn't a natural blonde either! Didn't get that! I hope to see her become a little bit nicer over the last few episodes!

Carrington- OK... I just don't get this girl. But before anyone says, "She lied about her age" I think that's a bit harsh. She's been brought on the show intentionally because as she's like a Z-list celeb (but still a bit famous!) she's attracted more viewers and the girls all know who she is, making them step up their game. She looks more than 16 though... in fact I'd say more than 19 so we're not fooled. When I saw the photoshoots of her when they introduced her, I was like "Wow this girl is stunning!" and then she entered the house... OK, so she's alright looking but photographs well... and then she took her make up off. Plain at best! Nothing striking or unusual about her. She's just there. I had a nose on her instagram and she looks like a completely different person which I don't like. Also, she's had her lips and a boob job and I think that's unfair against the young girls who are all clearly natural. She does her make up well but I just don't think she's anything special like they all make her out to be. Definitely just been put on the show to boost ratings IMO.

Overall, I'm enjoying show :) don't particularly have a favourite, but I don't want Lilyan or Carrington to win. Mainly because they're the least model looking. And Lilyan isn't very nice! And Carrington has an unfair advantage.

• Love 3
On 11/02/2018 at 10:51 PM, walnutqueen said:

I'll represent you, but you have to promise me you'll grow taller.

So there were NO girls in all of the USA that are taller than 5 foot 2??

I had a growth spurt starting at 14 and grew to 5 ft 8 by 16 years old.

Lilyan is not attractive at all - inside and out

• Love 2

So I watched episode 6 and 7 yesterday and I have to say I am LOVING Mackenzie! You can just tell she's going to be hella gorgeous in a few years, she just needs to become a woman and grow in confidence.

I didn't like her at first, but Lilyan is starting to grow on me. I don't know about anyone else, but I feel that she has just been put on the show just to be like "the runt of the litter". I'm glad Gigi stood up for her. But she will never be a model.

Mikayla is starting to grind on me- what was with that singing?! How cringe! Just stick to the script!

Brianna is absolutely a model. She's so unique looking, not pretty but she has that strange model look.

I felt a bit sorry for Carrington at the Tommy Hilfiger one. It was like they just decided to not give her any clothes and focused on her sexuality instead of actually present her wearing the clothes, which was unfair. One thing is for sure though- she makes up very well! I don't find her attractive without her make up in the slightest, but she looks like a completely different person with the make up! She can do make up very well if you watch her Youtube videos and I think Gigi is right- she's more suited to that Instagram/Youtube persona which is were she fits in. I'm not a fan, but young girls seem to admire her and look up to her and she's made a good name for herself so she needs to step away from the professional modelling and focus on this internet sensation business that she has going on. Oh- and she needs to stop wearing those silly hats and pull her top up.

Athena is GORGEOUS but her height will massively let her down. She should try acting and commercial modelling. You get actresses and singers such as Cheryl Cole and Eva Longoria who are only 5'2 modelling for big brands- but that's because they are famous! She needs to go in to auditioning for commercials because she's absolutely got the face.

Overall, I think Mackenzie should win but I know she doesn't, which is a shame because she and Brianna are the two who look like the models. I say no to Brianna because I believe that's she's already signed? Which is unfair... and Carrington is signed to Next Modelling. Don't really know how she got that deal but hey ho!

Would also like to point out- impressed with Gigi and Bella. I feel they get a lot of hate but they seem very sweet and incredibly down to earth!

• Love 2
On 2/3/2018 at 7:52 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

D) Is it just me or is Carrington really not all that to start with ... she looks rode hard and put away wet (even for 19, which apparently she is, rather than 16 which is what they SAY she is ... I wonder if her real age will be outed during this show for another shocking shocker of a shock ... BUT THAT SAID, she ALSO has dark roots so I bet in real life she's as blonde as Lilyanfred is. They couldn't get, you know, a nice cornfed pretty blonde from somewhere in bumfuck who wants to be a model? And I have sneaky suspicion HER mom is gonna be one piece of work though we haven't seen her say much yet.

I don't have a whole lot of respect for people who model themselves as YouTube stars ... it's one step shy of being a professional "social influencer."

Yeah I don't get it with her at all! Plus if you look back at her Instagram, she's had her lips and boobs done which I think is an unfair advantage against the other girls. Think she's average at best, wouldn't look twice at her walking down the street! Don't get this whole "she has an amazing face"- do you mean it's amazing how make up can make her look that good?

To be fair, I'm not a big fan of these Youtube "stars"- they're cringe as hell but if she's good at it and she's making good money, then she should stick to that and she seems to enjoy it. So I say good on her!

• Love 2

Makayla should have won PERIODTTTT. She was at the top of everybody's list and had the looks and personality AND height unlike Athena.  Makayla was definitely snubbed but little black girls everywhere are used to that smh. It's almost as if she was punished in the end for being the best at every competition and for having an amazing mom. Not sure how Yolanda justified passing on her when she came onto the competition with no prior experience and nailed it everytime. Yolanda should know a girl like that without experience will be unstoppable with guidance just based on her performance on the show. Makayla has an amazing future if she continues her journey and I hope she comes out on top proving her haters wrong. Keep pushing Makayla! In the words of Tyra Banks, "When one door is closed, go through the window if you have to."

• Applause 1