Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: The Last Day

• Start Topic

This storyline has become rather confusing, but I think I get it.

The bit I don't understand is if the footage of Daisy shooting in the zephyr is the last footage that anyone ever sees of her (I don't actually think that's going to be her, maybe some sort of doppelgänger?), why is everyone so convinced she destroys the planet?

I imagine, Deke's Dad is alive and will find the missing pieces of the monolith (or Deke remembers something himself that will make the team find the missing pieces). Flint then puts all of it back together, they all go back in time including Flint (which may or may not be by accident). The rest of the season involves preventing Flint from destroying the world.

Of course there will be Sinara attempting to kill everyone, but is stopped (hopefully by May badassery). Meanwhile, the Kree investigate the deaths of the brother of the leader, leading to his death.

6 hours ago, teenj12 said:

I would of preferred if the show kept Tess instead of Deke. She was so much more interesting. And like Deke, she was also wary, apprehensive, and outspoken about the team causing trouble at the Lighthouse, but she never sold anyone into slavery like Deke did. Deke's just an awful person, but this will continue to be handwaved by both show and fandom because he's the new "hot" and troubled white guy. 

Tess was a great character. She lived at the Lighthouse, she knew tough choices needed to be made to survive, she was empathetic (as we see with her interactions with Flint and her compassion for the team - who are complete strangers to her), she was willing to give up her life to save others (as exemplified in the scene with Grill, where she was willing to sacrifice her life for Mack and Coulson, despite her earlier proclamations that would have avoided this entirely), and her humor & curiosity about their Earth were entertaining.

Deke is just a cliché. He's a pretty bland character with no interesting personality whatsoever. Even his confession to Daisy about his childhood is something that fans predicted would happen after his first appearance this season - nothing about him is intriguing. He's simply frustrating because he does awful things and skates on them.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Quark said:

This storyline has become rather confusing, but I think I get it.

The bit I don't understand is if the footage of Daisy shooting in the zephyr is the last footage that anyone ever sees of her (I don't actually think that's going to be her, maybe some sort of doppelgänger?), why is everyone so convinced she destroys the planet?

I imagine, Deke's Dad is alive and will find the missing pieces of the monolith (or Deke remembers something himself that will make the team find the missing pieces). Flint then puts all of it back together, they all go back in time including Flint (which may or may not be by accident). The rest of the season involves preventing Flint from destroying the world.

Everybody is sure because that is how conspiracy theories work. Of the enhanced people known about by the general public, thanks to her terrorist days and Director Mace, Daisy has an ability which might provide an explanation of what happened.

People on a grand scale don't know about Flint, Black Bolt or Graviton.

7 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

Something that stuck out to me in this episode was how the scene of Robin dying was mirrored by the scene of May comforting Robin.

I commented to my wife how much Young Robin and Aged Robin resembled each other.  It was brilliant casting.

2 hours ago, Lobsel Vith said:

he does awful things and skates on them.

To be fair, skating on awful things is harder than skating on concrete or ice!  LOL

I found this episode very confusing because of the time travel that was weaved in. I’d re-watch but honestly it but my brain.  I kept oscillating between “huh? and so wait?”. I immediately came here for help and found many posters struggling with the same thing. Then further down I read some other insights that helped me piece some parts together (thank you)!  Otherwise, I think it had the makings of a great episode, if I could have followed along. But the parts that stood out for me were:

-Fitz and Simmons finally getting some alone time- and they were on the same page!

-May raising a child in some universe ( or whatever you call it)

-Coulson still uttering his comedy relief lines

-Mac and Yo-Yo teaming up and staying behind in part to defeat the “ Blue Man Group”

-”Daisy’s joy at being re-united with May after they thought each other didn’t make it but did. I know May has hugged her female teammates before but it just shows how far the character of May has evolved the series.

-Coulson’s genuine concern over May’s leg-lots off shoulder squeezing.

-The use of Continuity-Robin and and the bird. 

Not really a spoiler, but I think Deke could be related to someone or he would have been killed already or been left behind because he turned out to be a true bad guy. 

I seems like of the Inhumans left that may escape to the surface via time travel, one could be the one to try to destroy the Earth and one could possibly be the one to stop it or put it back together.  But I’m usually wrong about these things.  Like always. But why is Flint around?

The one thing that surprised me is that nobody has brought up Leopold. Although it’s not like they have had the time since he arrived. I guess that comes later.  Plenty other references to the Framework though.

I really hope that Fitz and Simmons get some peace for a while.  It’s time.

I’m all for suspending belief when I watch this show. It’s kind of a given in the MU. I could re- watch a few times but I’ll probably get the same outcome. Confused.

Edited by OneMoreStop
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, OneMoreStop said:

I seems like of the Inhumans left that may escape to the surface via time travel, one could be the one to try to destroy the Earth and one could possibly be the one to stop it or put it back together.  But I’m usually wrong about these things.  Like always. But why is Flint around?

The one thing that surprised me is that nobody has brought up Leopold. Although it’s not like they have had the time since he arrived. I guess that comes later.  Plenty other references to the Framework though.

Well Robin's prophecy was that Flint is the key as the newest Inhuman he will at least play the important part in this story arc.

As to Leopold they know he had been damaged by it and for the team it has only been the time in the Lighthouse, not the months of detention that Fitz had in "our" time. In any case that not something just brought up in a way it would be like his being a rape victim as those around him would shy away from the topic..

9 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Well isn’t this interesting.  I like both Daisy AND Deke and see where BOTH are coming from.  

I do too. Daisy’s always been an act first actions be damned Agent. I always thought that came from her training from Ward and her loyalty to her family. To be honest, if I had her powers, I’d be charging up too. I could see how YoYo could fail in an uprising, how long would it take for an alien to notice her bounce-back pattern? But Daisy? I think she could have terrifyingly destructive. I actually wonder if she could have accidentally killed herself by blowing a hole in the Lighthouse and being sucked out into space.

I dont know why people are holding Deke accountable to our Moral rules.  He was born into a dystopia. Its literally kill or be killed. He never knew a somewhat just Earth.  Do I think what he did was shitty? Yep. Would I like to say I would try to have some sort of moral compass in his type of situation? Who knows. I would like to think I would. I do think in his own twisted way, Deke was trying to help Daisy find Gemma and protect the rest of the Lighthouse (and his Framework Den).

Do I wish Tess hadnt been space fridged? Yep. I would choose her over Deke any day. However, Deke isnt a character I hate, just one that’s boring. He reminds me of bland Ward.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

I dont know why people are holding Deke accountable to our Moral rules.  He was born into a dystopia. Its literally kill or be killed. He never knew a somewhat just Earth.  Do I think what he did was shitty? Yep. Would I like to say I would try to have some sort of moral compass in his type of situation? Who knows. I would like to think I would. I do think in his own twisted way, Deke was trying to help Daisy find Gemma and protect the rest of the Lighthouse (and his Framework Den).

Do I wish Tess hadnt been space fridged? Yep. I would choose her over Deke any day. However, Deke isnt a character I hate, just one that’s boring. He reminds me of bland Ward.

I'm not holding deke accountable per Se.. Tho to be fair tess Virgil Ben and Flint all grew up in the same shithole.. So he doesn't just skate.. But for me it isn't abt holding him to our views so much as.. Why would our heroes have anything else to do with him.. So far he's served little purpose... In universe.. Coulson and the gang had no reason to bring him along.. He wasn't even in danger from the blues.. Unlike the 15 or 16 year old Flint who decided to stay behind to help ppl anyway.. He's just some opportunistic dude who sold Daisy into slavery who now has a sad story.. But I guess the writers or producers figure he's worth it.  .

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I'm not holding deke accountable per Se.. Tho to be fair tess Virgil Ben and Flint all grew up in the same shithole.. So he doesn't just skate.. But for me it isn't abt holding him to our views so much as.. Why would our heroes have anything else to do with him.. So far he's served little purpose... In universe.. Coulson and the gang had no reason to bring him along.. He wasn't even in danger from the blues.. Unlike the 15 or 16 year old Flint who decided to stay behind to help ppl anyway.. He's just some opportunistic dude who sold Daisy into slavery who now has a sad story.. But I guess the writers or producers figure he's worth it.  .

But in his mind in his history Daisy is "The Destroyer of Worlds".  Its not beyond the relm of possibilities that he sold her out as a quick and non destructive  way of getting her EXACTLY WHAT SHE WANTED.   People are harping too much on the slavery aspect and not on the fact that he put her right where she wanted to be.  Next to Simmons.  

5 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

II dont know why people are holding Deke accountable to our Moral rules.  He was born into a dystopia. Its literally kill or be killed. He never knew a somewhat just Earth.  Do I think what he did was shitty? Yep. Would I like to say I would try to have some sort of moral compass in his type of situation? Who knows. I would like to think I would. I do think in his own twisted way, Deke was trying to help Daisy find Gemma and protect the rest of the Lighthouse (and his Framework Den).

Because people like Tess, Ben, and Flint already demonstrate that you don't have to become someone like Deke. It comes across like a copout to excuse Deke's actions because life was hard at the Lighthouse when we've seen other characters who lived there who were much better people than Deke.

3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

But in his mind in his history Daisy is "The Destroyer of Worlds".  Its not beyond the relm of possibilities that he sold her out as a quick and non destructive  way of getting her EXACTLY WHAT SHE WANTED.   People are harping too much on the slavery aspect and not on the fact that he put her right where she wanted to be.  Next to Simmons.  

Saying that Deke was helping her by selling her into slavery is beyond ridiculous. Can we not pretend that Deke was being heroic by selling someone for money?

• Love 3

I thought this episode was wretched.  It was so boring and so incredibly confusing.  About the only part I liked was May interacting with Robin.

Last season we had three distinct arcs.   Is this future/post-apocalyptic storyline taking up the whole season or are we going to get something else?  I'm so bored.

• Love 1

Count me in as confused.

First, the strong suggestion that Deke is Fitz/Simmons son.  Is he or isn't he?  If he is, he would have recognized Simmons as his mother and later Fitz as his father.  Fitz help build the Framework and Deke knows how to work the Framework. The last piece of the monolith and how it reminds Deke of his mother but Deke's father wouldn't let him have the last piece.  Also, the fact that Yo-Yo mentioned to May in the flashback scene at the Lighthouse that they all are using different names which would explain how they stayed hidden.

Second, May would never, under any circumstances, allow the Kree to take over despite what Robin says that they will fix the time line.  May would never do that.  I am sure that both Leo and Jemma would have known how to work the Lighthouse or have trained people to get water and power going.  It was just bullshit and I don't buy May being that ok with Kree overlords and more people dying. 

Third, I still think there is more to this whole Daisy blew the world up.  I hope she gets her powers back to kick some Kree ass.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Count me in as confused.

First, the strong suggestion that Deke is Fitz/Simmons son.  Is he or isn't he?  If he is, he would have recognized Simmons as his mother and later Fitz as his father.  Fitz help build the Framework and Deke knows how to work the Framework. The last piece of the monolith and how it reminds Deke of his mother but Deke's father wouldn't let him have the last piece.  Also, the fact that Yo-Yo mentioned to May in the flashback scene at the Lighthouse that they all are using different names which would explain how they stayed hidden.

Second, May would never, under any circumstances, allow the Kree to take over despite what Robin says that they will fix the time line.  May would never do that.  I am sure that both Leo and Jemma would have known how to work the Lighthouse or have trained people to get water and power going.  It was just bullshit and I don't buy May being that ok with Kree overlords and more people dying. 

Third, I still think there is more to this whole Daisy blew the world up.  I hope she gets her powers back to kick some Kree ass.

Just looking at the ages and 73 years in the future grandson makes a better fit.

May and the surviving SHIELD Agents are just a few, perhaps all effort was turning a bunker into a space sheltering bunker when the Kree arrived in force. To paraphrase Loki does the boot care what the ant has to say about it.

I am sure Daisy is not "the destroyer of worlds" she is just a famous Inhuman with a known power set which might provide an explanation of what happened and with SHIELD around the initiating event any conspiracy theorist worthy of his name would point a finger straight at her. Two generations later she become the legendary killer of humanity

• Love 1
17 hours ago, blackwing said:

I thought this episode was wretched.  It was so boring and so incredibly confusing.  About the only part I liked was May interacting with Robin.

Last season we had three distinct arcs.   Is this future/post-apocalyptic storyline taking up the whole season or are we going to get something else?  I'm so bored.

The budget is lower this season so that's the most likely reason behind a lot of the sets being reused so much across all these episodes (in the future), unlike past seasons where there was a bit more variety. I don't think the crew will remain in the future for the entire season, but I can't for sure how long it'll last.

This was actually one of my favorite Agents of SHIELD episodes in a long time. I thought they mixed the flashbacks with current action really well, especially Yo-Yo and Mack's part. And May being Robin's mom was one of the better twists this show has done. And just sort of hinting at what happened tp the world and the team and expecting people to fill in the blanks really worked.

On 19/01/2018 at 10:55 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Fitz and Simmons also both made it (although it sounds like Robin told Fitz how Simmons died and it understandably freaked him out), 

Is that what happened? I thought at that point Gemma had already died and Robin was reliving her death to Fitz and it was too much for him to take.

On 1/26/2018 at 12:20 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

This was actually one of my favorite Agents of SHIELD episodes in a long time. I thought they mixed the flashbacks with current action really well, especially Yo-Yo and Mack's part. And May being Robin's mom was one of the better twists this show has done. And just sort of hinting at what happened tp the world and the team and expecting people to fill in the blanks really worked.

Is that what happened? I thought at that point Gemma had already died and Robin was reliving her death to Fitz and it was too much for him to take.

No, Jemma hadn't died yet but Robin kept predicting her death which was driving Fitz crazy.

I think old Robin is second to Mags from The Hunger Games as my favorite fictional old lady character.