Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three and Beyond: FFwSB

• Start Topic

Awesome show, although the people at the Trump rally depressed the heck out of me. I do love Amy, though.

The Great Feminists in Herstory was hilarious when Sam just said, "Sarah Huckabee Sanders is a fucking liar. Goodnight, everyone!" and walked off. But then the continuation was even better. I don't know why it was so funny when she said that Mika's scarf was goddam hideous, but it was (funny, that is). 

• Love 5

Much as these people make my head spin, I was glad Samantha sent Amy back to the Drumpf rally.  Too many Democrats are taking victory laps before the race has been run, generally the same ones who breezily predicted an HRC landslide in 2016.

I especially appreciated the guy who hates Democrats but doesn't actually know any.

• Love 7

meowmommy

23 minutes ago

Much as these people make my head spin, I was glad Samantha sent Amy back to the Drumpf rally.

Yeah, I had mixed feelings about that segment.  By now there have been about eleventy bazillion segments on various late night shows in which the correspondent goes to some pro-Trump/NRA/anti-choice rally and interviews a few wack-a-doodle attendees.  I mean, it says a lot that these wack-a-doodles and correspondents are starting to recognize each other from previous interviews.  It was funny in a horrifying sort of way at first, but now it just seems like a lazy way to get some laughs when the writers are fresh out of new ideas.   But, still, I also appreciate Sam's point.  These wack-a-doodles haven't gone away, and they vote.   It does concern me that people who recognize Trump for what he is will get complacent and fail to show up at the polls.  So, keep featuring these nut jobs, I guess?

• Love 3

Here's the thing - The press secretary is the voice of the president. If you don't get up in front of the national press and say things are demonstrably false and routinely proven so, speak to people like they're beneath you, then you're going to get called on it. Don't like it? Too bad. The bottom line is that Sanders is a terrible person. 

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

It does concern me that people who recognize Trump for what he is will get complacent and fail to show up at the polls.  So, keep featuring these nut jobs, I guess?

I don't think it can be hammered home enough that these Trump people will be out voting in force just like last time. People on the news braying about a 'blue wave' is just going to fire them up more. 

The thing is, they're really in the minority IF everyone gets out to vote. It's mid into 2018 and these people are still showing up at rallies, they're clearly not more informed or care to be and they're going to ruin it again for everyone if voter turnout is low again. 

• Love 7

I definitely get Samantha questioning this Blue Wave™ that's supposed to wash the American political landscape in the midterms, six months from now. But she and the show need to do a better job of why that is rather than send Amy off on another pro Drumpf rally and talk to the same idiot Drumpf supporters.

Aside from that, I loved Samantha eviscerating Sarah Huckabee Sanders, because she is a terrible, awful person. And I can never get enough of Mark Zuckerberg getting a verbal beatdown. It should always be noted to everyone that the foundation for Facebook was a site Zuckerberg and his fellow douchebros at Harvard created for themselves to grade female students at the school, fucking creeps.

• Love 11

Here's the thing - The press secretary is the voice of the president. If you don't get up in front of the national press and say things are demonstrably false and routinely proven so, speak to people like they're beneath you, then you're going to get called on it. Don't like it? Too bad. The bottom line is that Sanders is a terrible person. 

I wanted a longer segment of just clips of Sanders saying "the president didn't say that"  . . . cut to Trump saying that exact thing. "The president didn't say that" . . . cut to Trump again, saying that exact thing. I want about a half hour of that, played on a loop, 24/7, on all cable news shows and their websites. Just to illustrate how full of shit this woman is and what a joke her job is. She doesn't deserve any respect. GOP apologists who say "well, she's just doing her job, she has to be loyal," doesn't mean she deserves respect. It's like saying "Well, he's a Crip, he had to kill that rival gang member, it's his job to be loyal." That doesn't make it OK.

As for these wack jobs that show up at these Trump rallies . . . everyone from left-leaning pundits to Roseanne Barr has been shaming us into not saying they're stupid, but then Amy goes out and interviews them and . . . what else are we supposed to call them? I realize the Trump rally enthusiasts don't necessarily represent 100% of people who voted for the man, but these are some of the most aggressively and proactively ignorant people you could ever hope to meet. 

• Love 14

I deactivated my FB account years ago (2011!) after privacy concerns so the fact that we're still seeing perodic bullshit apologies from Zuckerberg 8 years later is mind-blowing.  

Those Drumpf rallies.  Funny and scary in equal parts.  But there was something I found oddly endearing about that one dude the reporter keeps running into - - - was his name Randall?  He actually got a MAGA hat on her head!

Remember this from last year?

Samantha and FF have since changed the titling of their clip about Eric Schneiderman to reflect the vile nature of his actions against the women he was having affairs with. You can only assume Samantha will say something about all that on tomorrow night's show. And, more importantly, HOW she will say it.

12 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Remember this from last year?

Samantha and FF have since changed the titling of their clip about Eric Schneiderman to reflect the vile nature of his actions against the women he was having affairs with. You can only assume Samantha will say something about all that on tomorrow night's show. And, more importantly, HOW she will say it.

The show's Twitter account (responding to a professional troll) has confirmed that they will be covering the story tonight.

"Penis weasels."  LOLOL

Someone really should make a Whack-a-Mole game with a variety of penis weasels popping up.  And there could be different versions of the game all featuring the most unsavory characters of Government, Music, TV, etc.   Hmmmmm...how do I apply to Shark Tank?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I didn't get what they were referencing in the environmental segment.

Poor people are more likely to be exposed to environmental hazards.  The housing they can afford will be in undesirable areas, like those with poor air quality, and any time smelly new facilities get built, they wind up near poor neighborhoods.  Or, you know, facilities that leak weird things into the water table.  So now you're poor and your body is being assailed by unhealthy stuff, which makes you more unhealthy, which makes it harder to work, which keeps you poor.

For a land of opportunity, we sure do stack the deck against poor people.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, ChelseaNH said:

Poor people are more likely to be exposed to environmental hazards.  The housing they can afford will be in undesirable areas, like those with poor air quality, and any time smelly new facilities get built, they wind up near poor neighborhoods.  Or, you know, facilities that leak weird things into the water table.  So now you're poor and your body is being assailed by unhealthy stuff, which makes you more unhealthy, which makes it harder to work, which keeps you poor.

For a land of opportunity, we sure do stack the deck against poor people.

Oh yes, I understood the actually point of the piece, But they were clearly referencing soomething larger with the staging of the piece. Sample from us being druged "why is the harry potery elf there? He clearly isnt doby. Why is she positioning the elderly white  dude in the light so much" Go on line and find out! I am trying!" "He looks like Sonny Spoons but its not the l hAte thr 80s!" 

2 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Someone really should make a Whack-a-Mole game with a variety of penis weasels popping up.  

I was thinking the same thing! I think people would line up to play that.

Samantha's right that we should call out sexual predators right away and not worry that their outing will hurt our other causes, yet I admit I have felt that. Al Franken was maybe the first I felt that way about. But one shouldn't be hypocritical and want to protect those we otherwise agree with. It's simply true that we are complicated people. We each can do great things and terrible things.

Trump is only too happy to undo all of Obama's accomplishments. I truly believe this is because of the WHCD where Obama roasted Trump.

And Scott Pruitt... He and others in the administration are used to having whatever they want. His sense of entitlement is disgusting.

6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Oh yes, I understood the actually point of the piece, But they were clearly referencing soomething larger with the staging of the piece. Sample from us being druged "why is the harry potery elf there? He clearly isnt doby. Why is she positioning the elderly white  dude in the light so much" Go on line and find out! I am trying!" "He looks like Sonny Spoons but its not the l hAte thr 80s!" 

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. However, the "Doby" elf was supposed to be the lovechild of Samantha and the old dude, Charlie, because Charlie said Sam had made him her sex slave. It was just a random visual joke, a little boy with Charlie's head superimposed on it. As far as putting Charlie in the spotlight, I just took that as a "funny-up" the long text that Charlie was reading. I don't mean that they wanted to make the context funny, but that just having someone read serious text can be boring cinematically, esp on a comedy show. BTW, I really like Charlie. I don't know who he is, but he's funny.

I understand Sam's interest in the Eric Schneiderman story is somewhat personal but for me the top story is about Trump pulling out of the Iran deal. This was one of those episodes that just made me depressed - and scared. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The piece was called "Return to the Rescue Farm." They were redoing a bit they did in January where they sent retired government workers to a "farm upstate." Charlie was in that bit also, he had been the announcer for every previous inauguration since Eisenhower, until the Trump administration let him go.   They had him do announcing for Sam in that bit also.  Here's a link to the piece: Sam's Rescue Farm for Government Workers

• Love 2

Did anyone watch Wednesday's show?

Samantha's right when she says ICE needs to be disbanded. Which means Drumpf and the Republicans will not only keep it intact, but also expand it for many reasons. Not the least of which is "librul teerz iz tastee, hyuk!"

On behalf of all Canadians, I would like to apologize for the walking, breathing asstain that is Jordan Peterson.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Did anyone watch Wednesday's show?

Samantha's right when she says ICE needs to be disbanded. Which means Drumpf and the Republicans will not only keep it intact, but also expand it for many reasons. Not the least of which is "librul teerz iz tastee, hyuk!"

On behalf of all Canadians, I would like to apologize for the walking, breathing asstain that is Jordan Peterson.

We watched it.  We always enjoy the very smart writing and her snarky delivery.  Sadly she is preaching to the choir. None of them watch it, I'm sure.

• Love 1

I wish more people did watch this show. I like that she doesn't just repeat the same stories everyone else is covering, and even though I am a political junkie, I actually do sometimes hear things from this show that I didn't already know about. She's kind of like John Oliver, but more exciting and more focused on feminism. Or, put another way, John Oliver is the blander Samantha Bee.

How can we get more people to watch? I try to talk the show up to friends. I think the show should send its people on the talk show circuit and talk about what they're doing, and show some clips. Why aren't they doing this? Will no one have them on? They have a great crop of "correspondents" so it wouldn't have to fall only to Sam to do the promotion. C'mon, show, get the word out!

• Love 5

I didn’t know there was a new thread. I’m all, “Wow, no one has been watching?” And them I actually visit the forum.

Topic? Samantha Bee is still constantly on fire. And the bit about Trump and abortions was something I’ve assumed for quite a while.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Or, put another way, John Oliver is the blander Samantha Bee.

I think the use of 'bland' is inappropriate. This lends to a connotation that the shows are in competition, which I don't think is the case. Oliver has more resources being at HBO to put together a deeply researched show that sheds light on topics that we don't normally think about, like creating a tax district, which happened where I live.

Full Frontal certainly is focused on feminism, and I have learned a lot about the issues she has focused on. These shows are in the same space. 

• Love 5

I loved Ashley Nicole's field piece, and I want to have drinks with her mom. I hope that district's primary turns out the vote.

Not a fan of the 'c' word, even when deployed against a deplorable. I mean, I'm willing to give dispensation to Brits/Aussies/NZers, because they're usage of it tends to be less gendered than here. (Is that a dispensation I should extend to a former Canadian?) And just in the interest of full disclosure, I have to catch my ownself from deploying the word when I'm het up about something or other (and not always successfully), so I totally get the impulse. Sam's a professional writer though, as are her staff. I'm gonna assume they have more rhetorical tricks than I do. 

But it's not like the word wasn't bleeped. My pearls may not need clutching.

• Love 4
(edited)

See, Sam can call her a grifter, a sleaze, a slime, a con artist, a crook, a hypocrite, a cheat, a thief, a rascal, a reprobate, a lowlife, a maggot, a pustule, a scammer, a charlatan, a fraud, a trickster, a sharpster, a fake, an operator, a swindler, a chiseler, a monster, a criminal, a scammer, an abomination, a liar, a deceiver, but whatever she does, SWEET JESUS DON'T CALL HER A C*** or people will lose their minds.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 6
(edited)

Sigh. She apologized and gave them the upper hand. Fantastic. 

I really wish she hadn't done that. I have no problem with what she said. I think a woman can use that word about another woman, and come on, given what she was talking about, she was being GENEROUS.

Also, I have heard men (like Bill Maher) call women c**** and heard zero outrage in response.  

And the jokes are written ahead of time, so Sam didn't think it was wrong yesterday or for a while now to say what she said. This is only in reaction to the complaints, so why isn't she standing up for herself? I'm disappointed in her.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 14
(edited)

The problem is, there is a segment of the population looking for "what about this liberal performer?" ammo. Every since roseanne's tweet, conservative social media has been going on about The View (even though they've never said anything on the same planet of offensive as RB) and Bill Maher (conveniently forgetting he DID lose his show on the same network). She just took that ammo and wrapped it in a bow for them. If they decide to start a campaign for her job, if it becomes a matter of the network, "we have to make an example. we have to show there are no double standards", she's screwed. She doesn't have the ratings to cushion the blow.

Edited by Picture It. Sicily
  • Love 9
(edited)

I hate the c-word--have never said it and never felt the least temptation to say it, a word meant to demean women by reducing them to a body part, the body part most abused and despised in our sexist culture. I hate when women use it to try to sound edgy. So I'm fine with Sam Bee facing criticism, but I do hope she doesn't get fired.

As despicable as I find Rosanne, I also thought her firing was random, with all the racist and anti-Semitic comments she has made. I figured there must have been things going on behind the scenes, and this was just the last straw or the excuse ABC had been waiting for to fire her. Fingers crossed Sam has a good relationship with TBS.

But there are also so many reasons not to lump Sam Bee in with Rosanne. Rosanne is a known racist saying something racist about a member of an oppressed group she's not a member of. Bee is a strong feminist, saying something sexist about a member of an oppressed group she also belongs to. We always grant more leniency toward people criticizing their own group, and there are good reasons for that. It is not a double standard. 

Bee also made her remark in the context of criticizing a member of the current presidential administration. She is a unique voice, one of the only female comedians with a high-profile platform from which to resist the administration, so silencing her would have much darker implications for free speech. The dynamics are totally different, so I hope TBS will recognize that and not give in to the what-aboutism and false equivalency arguments they will inevitably be bombarded with.

Edited by Sesquipedalia
  • Love 7

Not a fan of the C-word, but it has its use in extreme cases. There are only a few women I would even think of using it on, before the election. I've gotten a lot freer since there are quite a few in the current administration. Feckless C* is probably the best description of Ivanka I have heard yet. Sorry Sam felt the need to apologize.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

The problem is, there is a segment of the population looking for "what about this liberal performer?" ammo. Every since roseanne's tweet, conservative social media has been going on about The View (even though they've never said anything on the same planet of offensive as RB) and Bill Maher (conveniently forgetting he DID lose his show on the same network). She just took that ammo and wrapped it in a bow for them. If they decide to start a campaign for her job, if it becomes a matter of the network, "we have to make an example. we have to show there are no double standards", she's screwed. She doesn't have the ratings to cushion the blow.

100% agree.     Stupid, stupid, stupid.

• Love 1

I think what Samantha was trying to do last night was to use the "c word" in the same manner as some African American males use the "n word" on each other. It seem to have blown up in her face big time. She has apologized and TBS says they will stick by her and her show. Let's all hope so. It would be tragic if they cancelled the show and we lose a very important voice.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, millennium said:

I agree that it would be tragic, but anything less than cancellation reeks of double standard.   Bee's remark was every bit as offensive and inappropriate as Roseanne's.   In another forum, I called for Roseanne's show to be canceled before ABC took action.  I would be a hypocrite if just a day later I suggested Samantha Bee should be excused because she apologized.

Personally, I would never go out of my way to demand a call for the cancellation of a TV show or the ruining of a career for something stupid or controversial the person said, Barr included. Of course, Samantha has never had the history of saying stupid or controversial comments regularly the way Barr has (or Bill Maher for that matter). And there's whispers out there that Barr's attitude and behavior during the shooting of the reboot was so bad, that ABC/Disney saw her tweet as an excuse to shit can her and her show. That's why I said it would be tragic if the TPTB at TBS cancelled Samantha's show for something like a "both sides" measure.

Apparently, Samantha is getting support for her use of the "c-word" from the likes of Kathy Griffith and Michael Moore. Take that for what you will.

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Personally, I would never go out of my way to demand a call for the cancellation of a TV show or the ruining of a career for something stupid or controversial the person said, Barr included. Of course, Samantha has never had the history of saying stupid or controversial comments regularly the way Barr has (or Bill Maher for that matter). And there's whispers out there that Barr's attitude and behavior during the shooting of the reboot was so bad, that ABC/Disney saw her tweet as an excuse to shit can her and her show. That's why I said it would be tragic if the TPTB at TBS cancelled Samantha's show for something like a "both sides" measure.

Apparently, Samantha is getting support for her use of the "c-word" from the likes of Kathy Griffith and Michael Moore. Take that for what you will.

It seems to me that both women are too stupid to deserve a show.   It's not like our society was just invented last week and they're still unfamiliar with what you can and can't say/do when you work for a high profile media outlet whose primary source of revenue comes from advertisers.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

I haven't watched the episode yet but how can the c word compare to what Roseanne said?

This is liberals overreacting to pretend the higher moral ground, just like the way they sacrificed Franken, as if what he did in any way equated to the sexual assaults by other men.

• Love 10

I both applauded and groaned when Sam called daddy's little precious that word.  The response was entirely  predictable.   Roseanne deserved to be fired, not because she said something stupid and insulting and mean, but because she said something blatantly racist.  I find it hard to argue that Sam's use of the c-word wasn't blatantly sexist.  At least in the US c*** is a  slur that has been used specifically to demean and dehumanize women* (although I love Sally Field's response). Of the list of alternatives that meowmommy so kindly provided, I'd have gone with maggot or pustule, but there are many excellent choices there that would have made the point, without linking her ire to precious's gender. Of course there's the distinction that Roseanne has a long and well documented history of racists comments, while Sam has a long and well documented history of being decidedly not misogynistic.  There's also the distinction that Sam's rage was directed toward a specific action by precious, while Roseanne's rage was directed toward someone specifically because of their ethnicity/birthplace.  I will be crushed if Sam gets fired.  But this was a self inflicted wound. 

*To be fair, as Attica and Urban Dictionary both attest, c*** doesn't carry the same misogynist baggage in other parts of the English-speaking world, but I'm sure Sam didn't choose that specific word without knowing it's connotations in 'Murica.

• Love 6

I always thought of it as about the rough equivalent of "prick" but I understand it should have greater weight given sexism.

However, compared to calling a whole race of people an ape or any other animal, it's just not as loaded, given the history of race in this country.

I'm sorry Sam apologized but she doesn't have Roseanne money and she probably cares about the crew losing their jobs than Roseann probably did.

It will be so sickening when Ivanka or some right-wing women predictably uses this incident to make ridiculous claims about sexist and intolerant liberals.

• Love 3