Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three and Beyond: FFwSB

• Start Topic

That story about John Robinson is why we need Black History month, and more.  That was an amazing story, and I'm appalled that I started learning about bunch of white dudes' failed attempt to defend a fort in Texas when I was in kindergarten and we're all supposed to remember the Alamo forever, but I first heard of Robinson when I was and old lady watching a late night comedy show.

• Love 11
14 hours ago, Hooper said:

I'm appalled that I started learning about bunch of white dudes' failed attempt to defend a fort in Texas when I was in kindergarten and we're all supposed to remember the Alamo

So much of what gets taught as American history is really American mythology.

• Love 4
On 2/13/2018 at 10:14 AM, Kindred Spirit said:

I really enjoyed the square dancing unit in my junior high PE class. Now, I feel racist, as well as guilty, for said enjoyment. Especially because I'm a POC.

Come sit by me!  We can hang our heads in shame together.

We had square dancing in H.S. which I always thought was so random and strange, especially in an all-girls school but for me, anything was better than the gymnastics unit.  Give me an "Allemande Left!"  over a vaulting horse any day.

• Love 4

Wow. This show just said everything I wanted John Oliver to say last week. Comparing the NRA to Scientology was brilliant. Cults that tell their followers they are the only ones who can save the world. The fact that every time there's a mass shooting Republicans want to deflect to "mental health" but then turn around and de-fund mental health programs. They're complicit either way. The fact that the Florida shooter wore a "Make America Great Again" hat. The collage of faces of people who have lost their lives to the alt right. "White Isis." Indeed. 

The only thing I took issue with was the piece about TABOR in Colorado. This may be anecdotal but people actually will vote to raise taxes if it's framed right. In my city they have voted to raise sales taxes to fund things like museums and street cars. Just depends on what it is. And in a neighboring state several years ago, they were actually able to vote against a bill that would have enacted the same kind of law (no new taxes or tax increases without a public vote) based on the argument that it would "harm children." You never go bust playing that card.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Comparing the NRA to Scientology was brilliant.

It would be nice if there were some politicians with the spine to make this argument. 

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This may be anecdotal but people actually will vote to raise taxes if it's framed right. In my city they have voted to raise sales taxes to fund things like museums and street cars. Just depends on what it is.

We voted to make a tax district that would raise property taxes for the change from the technical college to an accredited community college. It needed 2/3 and they got about 70% on the second go around. The actual increase was about $20 overall to property taxes. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 3

Here in Bleeding Heart California tax-raising bills often pass. It's fine with me. But then, I'm a bleeding heart liberal.

I was hoping we'd see that Douglas Bruce has had a change of heart and mind since TABOR was passed, but no. What an asshole. He couldn't answer any question without simply resorting to throwing labels around -- communism, leftists... There must be a name for that kind of rhetorical device, making the argument about words rather than the substance. It's what some gun rights people are doing, saying those who don't understand guns (i.e., using the wrong terminology) have no right to a place in the debate.

I thought it was an excellent show. Again. 

The preview of Sam in Puerto Rico looks great. Loved that she shot a roll of paper towels into the basket.

• Love 2

Samantha's back, all guns a blazin' - metaphorically speaking. Tying the NRA in to Scientology was brilliant. And tying the mass murderers of America to the right wing agenda, like the Parkland shooter, is something that needs to be drummed in mercilessly. And if the snowflakes of the right get all pissy about Samantha's methods, then TOUGH!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, peeayebee said:

There must be a name for that kind of rhetorical device, making the argument about words rather than the substance.

A quick search brings up hundreds of terms, so there's got to be a name for it. You (general) see the same thing on FB when the troll farm is active.

There must be a name for that kind of rhetorical device, making the argument about words rather than the substance.

I am reminded of an argument Alex had with his mom on Family Ties:

Alex:

II think I've refuted all your arguments. Until you are ready to apologize to me, I am done speaking with you.

Elyse:

Oh! I didn't realize you'd started speaking with me.

Alex:

What is that supposed to mean?

Elyse:

For the past two days, Alex, you have complained to me, grunted at me, lectured to me, and presented me with ultimatums, but not once not not once have you even come close to talking with me.

Alex:

Semantics!

• Love 2

I am reminded of an argument Alex had with his mom on Family Ties:

Alex:

II think I've refuted all your arguments. Until you are ready to apologize to me, I am done speaking with you.

Elyse:

Oh! I didn't realize you'd started speaking with me.

Alex:

What is that supposed to mean?

Elyse:

For the past two days, Alex, you have complained to me, grunted at me, lectured to me, and presented me with ultimatums, but not once not not once have you even come close to talking with me.

Alex:

Semantics!

I believe it is called <b>ASSHOLEONICS</b>.

I kept waiting for Sam to mention the new Philly DA, Larry Krasner, who is going nuts doing actual nice things with his office. It pays off to elect civil rights attorneys to be prosecutors!

A colleague of mine forgot, prior to voting, to look up a real-life lawyer to write in for the most recent Vance election, so he wrote in Jack McCoy. Which is only a little bit more fictional that Sam writing in Oprah. :)

• Love 2

I kept waiting for Sam to mention the new Philly DA, Larry Krasner, who is going nuts doing actual nice things with his office. It pays off to elect civil rights attorneys to be prosecutors!

Sam should totally come down to Philly.  She could do a "Philly Special" in addition to the Puerto Rico special.

I loved the show last night. She's great at talking about very important things no one else manages to really address, and she does it in a way that can't put you to sleep. It's interesting how Oliver uses humor and Bee uses passion and outrage, but both are tackling things that everybody needs to care about but few even know exist.

I want to know more about her writers' room. That comment about her writers having panic attacks got to me.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5

I think comedy writer rooms at the moment must be some of the most simultaneously hard yet cathartic places to work. Our late night hosts have gone from interviewing movie stars to having to comfort the nation after horrific tragedy on a regular basis. It must be hard as heck to have to write those monologues and jokes and to keep their eyes on the news at all times. Not just the mass tragedies but the load of absolute crud that has to be waded through on a daily basis.

• Love 3

OMG the irony and sheer audacity of Jeff Sessions saying McCabe lacked candor during questioning - who doesn't remember Sessions answering "I can't remember" to every single question posed to him by the that House/Senate panel?

For the life of me I will never understand the conservative agenda behind denying access to affordable birth control. Abortion? I get it. Birth control? Makes no sense. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

For the life of me I will never understand the conservative agenda behind denying access to affordable birth control. Abortion? I get it. Birth control? Makes no sense. 

I was a nurse at a Catholic hospital and the only way I could get birth control covered by my insurance was for my GYN to document that I had terrible menstrual cramps.  It was true, but still...  When prostaglandin inhibitors like ibuprofen went OTC, the heavens opened, although I still had cramps until I was menopausal.  I'd had hideous dysmenorrhea from age 11 on.  Back then, there was Midol, and nothing.  I went for my college physical, marked on the history that I had cramps, and the asshole male doctor said that if they weren't bad enough for me to miss school, they couldn't be that bad.  If I missed school every time I had debilitating cramps, I never would have graduated.  

I love that Sam brings these topics forward.  I can't envision anyone else on television, except maybe Oprah, doing it.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

Madonna/whore complex -- women shouldn't be having sex.  Which makes you wonder who they think men should be having sex with.

Also it gives women control and life choices.

• Love 8
On 3/23/2018 at 6:58 AM, meowmommy said:

I love that Sam brings these topics forward.  I can't envision anyone else on television, except maybe Oprah, doing it.

Word. When I realised she was doing a whole segment on the history of women's pain, I mentally applauded wildly. More, please!

• Love 6

There's so much to cover in so little time, and I think they did a good job.

I didn't really understand what the cryptocurrency people were doing there. 

I wish I liked the t-shirts more. They were fine, but I don't really want one. I do hope that other companies use PR to manufacturer their own t-shirts.

On 3/24/2018 at 1:08 AM, purist said:

Word. When I realised she was doing a whole segment on the history of women's pain, I mentally applauded wildly. More, please!

I definitely appreciated this episode.  I don't have endometriosis, fortunately, but I know some who do, and its a real problem sometimes.  And to think that some, many doctors just don't treat it, don't know about it, don't care about it.  its just amazing.  And that women used to be put into insane asylums because of it.  I also had no idea that the vibrator was created because of it.  At least something good came from all that. :)

I was not aware that Paul Ryan was in any way aligned with Todd Akin, author of the infamous "legitimate rape" theory. I know of course that Paul Ryan is not the rational moderate he makes himself out to be but I had no idea he was entangled with such a nutcase. He's even worse than I thought. Good riddance, indeed.

And I loved "Is Sean Hannity a Serial Killer?" Man, I hope everyone from Stephen Colbert to Trevor Noah to Sam Bee continues to nail this guy. I can't think of anyone more deserving of ridicule. 

• Love 9

Hannity should be mercilessly ripped to shreds.

The medicinal cannabis piece was really good. I think it's an issue so many people can get behind. But I'm so shallow because Allana is gorgeous with her short hair. 

Edited by ganesh

Everything about last night's episode was awesome. Especially where Samantha ripped that vile shit Sean "Lumpy" Hannity to bloody shreds. And it's made even more frustrating everytime Samantha goes off on her lengthy hiatuses, like the one she just came back from.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, attica said:

Thank heavens Matthew Modine has finally gone grey and gotten wrinkles. He was starting to worry me he might have some Dorian Gray thing going on. Ma'am, yes, Ma'am!

And here I was, getting worried that they were about to do something inappropriate with the Full Metal Jacket parody since F. Lee Ermey just passed.  Thank goodness I was wrong.

Heh.  10 black people doing a Seinfeld impression.  "Newman!"

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite
Ermey, NOT Emery. RIP, Sir.
  • Love 4
On 4/20/2018 at 8:13 AM, attica said:

Thank heavens Matthew Modine has finally gone grey and gotten wrinkles. He was starting to worry me he might have some Dorian Gray thing going on. Ma'am, yes, Ma'am!

"I'll allow it."

• Love 2

I would have presumed that Preet Bharara would know the urban dictionary definition of the acronym DTF, but it appears I am, here as in many other places in CE 2018, wrong. I bet there's a millennial or two on staff that snicker behind their hands  whenever they answer the phone: "DTF, how may I help you?"

• Love 3
5 hours ago, attica said:

I would have presumed that Preet Bharara would know the urban dictionary definition of the acronym DTF, but it appears I am, here as in many other places in CE 2018, wrong. I bet there's a millennial or two on staff that snicker behind their hands  whenever they answer the phone: "DTF, how may I help you?"

I never heard of it either, so I just had to Google it.  Oops.

18 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I never heard of it either, so I just had to Google it.  Oops.

I applaud the fact that you had to Google.  I'm embarrassed by some of the things I know and how I've learned them.  I think I picked up my DTF knowledge from Jersey Shore.  Along with GTL (Gym, Tan, Laundry) which happens to be some kind of system interface at my job but I snicker each time I hear it.

I couldn't decide if Preet Bharara was truly humorless or if he has top-notch acting skills.  I think I'm leaning toward the latter since he agreed to the casual, crossed-legged panic room setting.

• Love 1

That footage of the Fox and Friends hosts fidgeting and frozen in horror during Trump's rant was hilarious. They were trying to shut him up! Oh, the hypocrisy, it burns. See, even they know this guy is a lunatic. He's just a convenient idiot to push their network's agenda.  But I'm surprised Sam didn't cover the main story about that whole thing, which is that Trump admitted Cohen represented him in the Stormy Daniels deal - something he denied just 2 weeks ago. 

I couldn't decide if Preet Bharara was truly humorless or if he has top-notch acting skills.  

I think a lot of it is editing. Sam will say something outrageous and then they just cut to a shot of her guest sitting there showing no reaction. It's a pretty common tactic dating back to similar The Daily Show interviews. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I couldn't decide if Preet Bharara was truly humorless or if he has top-notch acting skills.  I think I'm leaning toward the latter since he agreed to the casual, crossed-legged panic room setting.

I think the latter as well; I remember when Hasan Minhaj interviewed him on The Daily Show shortly after Bharara was fired last year. That interview was also hilarious.

• Love 1

When he said DTF, I said "oh no." I thought he was joking, but when he said he had pre-college kids and was worried what it meant, I realized he was serious. 

I never understood why the president was limited to two terms. I mean, I get the history behind it. It always struck me as taking the choice out of the voters' hands. 

I take the point - there's unwritten rules and they think they should actually be laws for them. I'm not a fan of unwritten rules either. I never realized that disclosing your tax returns *wasn't* a law.