Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Chapter Twenty-Three: The Blackboard Jungle

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I’m still a couple days later meh on this episode. The first half of this season got my 

Like I said in a earlier post was I’m surprised they didn’t make Polly’s babies birth a thing. I mean.. personally I honestly don’t give a damn but this was a big thing for the show wasn’t it? Last season it was. But no she had them off screen and it was kind of like a oh “by the way” type of announcement. 

Yeah. I was thinking they were going to make this huge thing but it sure did look like they were trying to get rid of thay storyline... a bit contradictory since it was a huge thing last season.... and didn't that polly actress get a spot on once upon a time? 

Bit of a let down and a bit cheesy that they went with this farm thing because you just know it can become a storyline and that's corny. 

1 hour ago, Dee said:

I'm bored by Chic because I'm waiting for the inevitable reveal that he's Alice & FP's son instead of Alice & Hal's.

Won't it be cool? I can't wait for that bomb to fall lol!  

There was exactly the same foster WTF? character backstory on Rectify: it had a young lady (also healthy, white, blue-eyed + blonde and given up as a baby)  who was never adopted!!! Maybe the demand for adoptive kids wasn't as strong 20+ years ago?

Kudos to Desperate Housewives for being more believable with their adoption stories. They did acknowledge that there is a LONG waiting list for babies (including those still gestating), and that the mothers take their pick from from couples wishing to adopt. Pretty much the only way to adopt a kid straight away on that show was to find an older child (presumably among those just removed from parents at a later age). Does that hold true in the US?

The really dark side of abortion availability being slashed across the US in recent years is that this will translate into a lot more babies being suddenly available. This is essentially disadvantaged women being used as reproductive factories for the privileged wannabe parents, just like it already happens with surrogacy in 3rd World countries. REALLY ugly...

5 hours ago, Ruby Red said:

I really don't want that to happen.

Me either. I really hope it doesn’t. Because that’s another thing that’s predictable at this point and not to mention the ugh feeling it gives Bughead as a couple of this is the case.

At this point I’m meh on the show because everything they seem to be doing is everything that people expect and I thought Riverdale was better than that. 

• Love 1

I finally just watched the ep because, I realized, I just don't care anymore.

I will give the show credit for one thing. They managed to make my favorite character my least favorite character in under a season. I really wouldn't care if Jughead died in a hail of bullets at this point. I also can't take him seriously as the emo, hipster narrator of our little film noir while seeing him stomp around in his silly jacket talking about history and loyalty to a gang he's been in for a few weeks. 

At this point the only thing keeping me coming back is the crazy ass Coopers and the even crazier assier Blossoms. 

Veronica's mob family storyline is boring, Jughead's badass gang member story is ridiculous. Archie is still too dumb to live, though points for knowing random janitor wasn't Black Hood. Chic's "I'm very evil" schtick is a bit too on the nose. 

I will give the show one more prop though. I really like that, instead of being rebel assholes like Jughead, the actual SSS's were happy to be getting out of their shithole school and maybe actually getting a change to better their lives. I really hope they get sick of him giving them all a bad name and kick him out soon. And WTF was with FP now being all "yay, my son is a serpent, serpent for life my boy!"? Wasn't he trying to save Jug from exactly that fate? I'm so confused. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 6
52 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I will give the show credit for one thing. They managed to make my favorite character my least favorite character in under a season. I really wouldn't care if Jughead died in a hail of bullets at this point. I also can't take him seriously as the emo, hipster narrator of our little film noir while seeing him stomp around in his silly jacket talking about history and loyalty to a gang he's been in for a few weeks. 

Aw, no! I just wish they made Jughead's motivations more clear and emphasized more on his trauma and experiences. While yet, he was acting ridiculous, but I understand him too but it's just that we mostly have to pull it out of our own minds rather than the writers showing it with decent writing. I have been rewatching some bits of this episode, and he looked confident in his Serpent leather jacket, which I did like. I don't think it is much about the jacket, but more that he doesn't want to feel vulnerable again because of the bullying in the past. I mean, the way Reggie and Cheryl acted towards Jughead and the other SSH students proved his point of why he did not want to go back to Riverdale High. I felt less annoyance with Jughead on second viewing.

Edited by Ruby Red
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Dee said:

I'm bored by Chic because I'm waiting for the inevitable reveal that he's Alice & FP's son instead of Alice & Hal's.

8 hours ago, Ruby Red said:

I really don't want that to happen.

It's going to be shades of Jack Falahee's Charlie from Twisted stalking and being psycho-sexually obsessed with his adoptive cousin and probable half brother, Danny, and his half sister, Jo.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:19 PM, AnimeMania said:

Cheryl considers herself in the 1%, so she is hating on the Southside Sepents and any other economically challenged students.. Reggie has to protect his small time Jingle Jangle business and can't have the Southside Sepents ruin it.

People whose families support themselves with drug running, sex work, and extortion don't really get to condescend to others about economic security.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

It's going to be shades of Jack Falahee's Charlie from Twisted stalking and being psycho-sexually obsessed with his adoptive cousin and probable half brother, Danny, and his half sister, Jo.

I bailed on the show by about the time Danny and Lacy had a sex tape, but I gathered from the forums about Jack Falahee's character that he was some kind of way to back away from Danny being a sociopath. Like they wanted to make it clear that he wasn't, so they added the real bad boy.

Penelope admitting that she loves being a lady of the night reminded me a little of when the uptight mother in Carrie admits that she loved being debased sexually.

Yeah. I’m just and that this show has become predictable in everything really. Even the merging high schools which I figured was going to happen months ago( I posted about it possibly happening)is predictable.

And everything else seems to be going the same way. I’m just not sure how many episodes I can keep watching. It’s not even fun anymore. It’s just really depressing. 

On 1/18/2018 at 1:16 PM, Snookums said:

Especially since one of Josie's two lines was how she was "just Josie" and reminding the viewers that the Pussycats were broken up.

Yeah, what happened with that?  I must have missed or forgotten it with all the Black Hood stuff before the break.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Yeah, what happened with that?  I must have missed or forgotten it with all the Black Hood stuff before the break.

During the episode where we learned Cheryl had a crush on Josie and was stalking her she arranged for Josie to work with a producer and Val and Melody found out and basically told her the pussycats were over. 

• Love 2

I actually get that Jughead felt like he belonged at Southside and had some status there as FP’s son and a Serpent. At Northside he was sleeping in the janitors closet. The serpent and sword thing is pretty unbelievably inspired. He wants his family. Maybe FP realizes that, hence his heel faced turn. He gave jug a real choice, jug chooses his dad. 

So, where’s hotdog?

I guess the fbi thing makes sense for Archie because he’s incredibly naive.

Why didn’t she take Chic to the hospital?

i don’t know most of the shows people talk about but this feels more like a comic book than most and I’m ok with that. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Locutus said:

The FBI agent could be a goon on the Lodge payroll as a way to test Archie's loyalty.

THat is what i'm afraid of... I am just as naïve as Archie so I believe he IS really and FBI agent but if its hiram that's fucking around with Archie then.... Run away Archie! And if that should be TRUE, i do hope Veronica will wake up and stand against them... Well, I hope she'll wake up NOW and go against her parents but I know that's semi-impossible!

17 hours ago, Ruby Red said:

Aw, no! I just wish they made Jughead's motivations more clear and emphasized more on his trauma and experiences. While yet, he was acting ridiculous, but I understand him too but it's just that we mostly have to pull it out of our own minds rather than the writers showing it with decent writing. I have been rewatching some bits of this episode, and he looked confident in his Serpent leather jacket, which I did like. I don't think it is much about the jacket, but more that he doesn't want to feel vulnerable again because of the bullying in the past. I mean, the way Reggie and Cheryl acted towards Jughead and the other SSH students proved his point of why he did not want to go back to Riverdale High. I felt less annoyance with Jughead on second viewing.

Yeah, i finally came to the same conclusion even if its a bit  i don't know... sad? sad truth? Last season he seemed to be "okay" with being the outcast but he's grown since then and he's found himself with the Serpents and i can understand, the hell-no in not wanting to go back to a place where he was an outcast!

THe writers screwed him up really bad and while original s1 jughead will not come back, at least make him less of a drama-queen for the rest of the show! hehe...

Jughead has become terribly irritating.

The scene where Archie saw Nick was terribly acted by KJ Apa.

Other than that, decent episode.

I definitely don't think that Charles is Mr Cooper's son, I'm thinking he will be Betty and Jughead's brother.

It would make sense why Betty's father pushed for an abortion and then adoption if he thought the kid wasn't his, and why he didn't care to find the kid. Would further the soapiness in Riverdale that Betty and Jughead shared a half sibling. 

13 minutes ago, twoods said:

It would make sense why Betty's father pushed for an abortion and then adoption if he thought the kid wasn't his, and why he didn't care to find the kid. Would further the soapiness in Riverdale that Betty and Jughead shared a half sibling. 

Yeah. I really hate this idea. I don’t want this to be what happens but I’m totally expecting it and I find it really gross actually. I really really hope this isn’t the case. And like I’ve said this would be so predictable.

I really just thought this was a boring episode. And I know I said that already but last season this show was so much better. I hope the next episodes are better.

For all we know Chic is some other kid in the system who grew up with Charles and killed him and is now assuming his identity to get close to the Coopers for...reasons. If they are going forward with Bughead, which I can't see why they wouldn't, the ship is pretty popular and the actors have great chemistry, then I don't know if they would be so tone deaf as to have them share a sibling. Personally, I'm not even remotely bothered by it, it doesn't change that they are in now way related, but it is clearly going to rattle a lot of people and IDK if TIIC are willing to go there. Then again, there are the Blossom siblings, so who knows. I really don't care either way, but only time will tell. I'm more bothered by the fact that Chic is obsessed over his sister. 

22 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

For all we know Chic is some other kid in the system who grew up with Charles and killed him and is now assuming his identity to get close to the Coopers for...reasons. If they are going forward with Bughead, which I can't see why they wouldn't, the ship is pretty popular and the actors have great chemistry, then I don't know if they would be so tone deaf as to have them share a sibling. Personally, I'm not even remotely bothered by it, it doesn't change that they are in now way related, but it is clearly going to rattle a lot of people and IDK if TIIC are willing to go there. Then again, there are the Blossom siblings, so who knows. I really don't care either way, but only time will tell. I'm more bothered by the fact that Chic is obsessed over his sister. 

I don’t like that Chic seems obsessed with Betty either.  That’s why I’m hoping it isn’t like that, that the show will do a red herring with it. But I never know what the show is thinking in regards to their storylines as of late.

Dear God, when did Jughead become so insufferable? Its been coming on slowly  for most awhile now, but he was just SUPER annoying here. How is being asked not to wear a gang jacket such an unrealistic and draconian rule? Isn't that pretty standard for high schools? He just wants to rage against the machine and keep up his indie cool Rebel without a Cause vibe, and now that he is back at his original school, he feels like he is losing his sweet rebel cred. Its like they had to invent this ridiculous "make the South Side kids where stupid uniforms no one else has to wear" to make Jughead still look cool, and give him something to rebel against beyond wearing a stupid jacket. I did think it was interesting how the other Serpent kids seemed totally cool with ditching the jackets, because it meant they got to go to a good school (one with actual working lights and everything!) and they seemed excited about that. It would be kind of funny if the other Serpents, who have been there for most of their lives, are totally ready to turn their lives around and focus on school while Jughead, who has been here for like three weeks, is all about the small town gangster life. 

Did Archie even check the credentials of the FBI guy? This is going to get stupid REALLY fast, isn't it? And not in the fun, Riverdale way. 

Chic is so obviously a psycho, its amazing he wasn't introduced cackling evilly. Maybe he was adapted at some point, but its been removed from his files because he was given back for being a Bad Seed. That certainly makes more sense than a blond, blue eyes healthy baby boy not being adopted. Looks like the Black Hood isn't done yet. 

Nobody does Gothic, Dickensian (great vocab usage, Cheryl!) crazy like the Blossoms! Of course Mrs. Blossom likes being a hooker, because it bothers Cheryl. They're just that perfect kind of crazy. I also liked that scene where the Southsiders walked into the school and that 50s style music was playing was pretty great. 

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Nobody does Gothic, Dickensian (great vocab usage, Cheryl!) crazy like the Blossoms! Of course Mrs. Blossom likes being a hooker, because it bothers Cheryl. They're just that perfect kind of crazy.

Seriously! Who, in 2018, uses terms like courtesan? Never change, Blossom Family. Never change.

On 1/20/2018 at 0:55 AM, Dee said:

UGH. I fear that this reveal may be inevitable as well...But I hope that it is not. It just seems wayyyy too obvious. And there is enough happening on this show, that they do not NEED to add an FP/Alice love child into the mix. I take slight solace in the fact that Chic looks nothing like FP. I know that not all kids look like their parents, but Chic looks too similar to Betty and Polly for me to think that he doesn't share the same parents. 

On 1/21/2018 at 3:11 PM, tennisgurl said:

Did Archie even check the credentials of the FBI guy? This is going to get stupid REALLY fast, isn't it? And not in the fun, Riverdale way. 

Nobody does Gothic, Dickensian (great vocab usage, Cheryl!) crazy like the Blossoms! Of course Mrs. Blossom likes being a hooker, because it bothers Cheryl. They're just that perfect kind of crazy. I also liked that scene where the Southsiders walked into the school and that 50s style music was playing was pretty great. 

Very little on Riverdale seems to be the fun Riverdale way any more! We get slight moments of humour which I enjoy, but every episode seems to be getting grimmer and sadder.

We truly need more Blossom scenes. And I actually legitimately laughed at the fact that Chuck Berry was playing as the Serpents walked into the school. That was the fun Riverdale that I'm starting to miss...

Edited by AdorkableSars
4 minutes ago, AdorkableSars said:

We truly need more Blossom scenes. And I actually legitimately laughed at the fact that Chuck Berry was playing as the Serpents walked into the school. That was the fun Riverdale that I'm starting to miss...

Exactly! This show was much better when it didn't take itself seriously.

53 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Exactly! This show was much better when it didn't take itself seriously.

This. 

And I love Cheryl but like every other character she tends to suffer when she’s on screen too much (I.e see what they decided to do vie her love interest this season). 

Also yay I love seeing more posters not into the Chic being FP and Alice’s love child. One it would be ugh and two it’s so predictable. But then again this season seems to be all about being predictable.

Edited by WhosThatGirl

I'm voting for Chic's father being the other old Serpent guy; the grizzled one with lighter coloring than FP and the terrible hairscaping. I think FP knows about the situation but isn't the father. Maybe he was into Alice back then but she didn't reciprocate.
If Hal were the father, why wouldn't they take back their own child once they were settled down and ready for a family, if he was never adopted? Unless of course they could tell he was evil. I think Hal didn't want him because he wasn't the father. Although Alice might also have worried people would realize Chic was her biochild and not some random kid they adopted, and gasp, what would people think?

36 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

I'm voting for Chic's father being the other old Serpent guy; the grizzled one with lighter coloring than FP and the terrible hairscaping. I think FP knows about the situation but isn't the father. Maybe he was into Alice back then but she didn't reciprocate.
If Hal were the father, why wouldn't they take back their own child once they were settled down and ready for a family, if he was never adopted? Unless of course they could tell he was evil. I think Hal didn't want him because he wasn't the father. Although Alice might also have worried people would realize Chic was her biochild and not some random kid they adopted, and gasp, what would people think?

Chic's dad seems to be a great mystery thus far!

Hal is definitely reacting like he's not the father... I mean who would clearly disregard their own child like he has done so far....

And ok, everyone's pointing towards him being Falice's love child and while I hope it might be true, it still up in the air...  Falice probably existed in the past but to the point where they had a kid together? Still split on that...

Did you mean Tall Boy as being the potential bio-dad? That is an interesting theory... Could it be that Chic the product of a rape for example? By a fellow serpent?

Another theory is that, seeing Hal's utter disgust towards the kid, could the father be a blossom?

14 minutes ago, PeekaBoo said:

Hal is definitely reacting like he's not the father... I mean who would clearly disregard their own child like he has done so far....

And ok, everyone's pointing towards him being Falice's love child and while I hope it might be true, it still up in the air...  Falice probably existed in the past but to the point where they had a kid together? Still split on that...

Did you mean Tall Boy as being the potential bio-dad? That is an interesting theory... Could it be that Chic the product of a rape for example? By a fellow serpent?

Another theory is that, seeing Hal's utter disgust towards the kid, could the father be a blossom?

Tall Boy! I can never remember his name. I always think of him as "the guy who is way too old to be hanging out with all these baby high school gangsters."

Clifford as Chic's dad makes a lot of sense. Wouldn't Cheryl be thrilled to have a new brother?

19 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

Tall Boy! I can never remember his name. I always think of him as "the guy who is way too old to be hanging out with all these baby high school gangsters."

Clifford as Chic's dad makes a lot of sense. Wouldn't Cheryl be thrilled to have a new brother?

I'm saying ewww if it is Cliffords kids seeing as he's a bit older than the other parents...might be a blossom not necessarily clifford...

There's also a theory of hal having a twin? Maybe an evil one hehehe....

1 minute ago, PeekaBoo said:

I'm saying ewww if it is Cliffords kids seeing as he's a bit older than the other parents...might be a blossom not necessarily clifford...

I think Clifford was a good 10 to 15 years older than all the other parents...but he was definitely creepy and evil enough to have either statutorily or violently raped a high school girl. Although I think this scenario is unlikely; whenever Alice interacted with Clifford, I never sensed any extra level of history between them. Although continuity is a low priority when drama is on the line.

2 hours ago, Enginerd said:

Chic would definitely fit right in at Blossom Manor. If he is not a secret Blossom lovechild the show has terribly miscast him.

I'm about 98% Chic is FPs kid but the idea that he is another Serpents kid is interesting. It would explain Alice wanting nothing to do with the gang if she had been raped by one of them. I still think he's FPs though, that he was their love child and Alice knew FP couldn't provide for a family and stuck with Hal, who could, but Hal made their union conditional on her getting rid of the little Serpent baby. I don't think it will really have any impact on Bughead since he's not been a brother to either of them, so he's just some guy who shares some of each of their blood. I think how he will affect them is in his creepy apparent obsession with Betty, which will not sit well with "I skin people who threaten my woman" Jughead.

I think it would be hilarious if he really does end up being Hal's kid though, what with all our speculation about who the daddy is. That would be the ultimate twist.  

23 hours ago, PeekaBoo said:

Considering that the Coopers are actually Blossoms the ick factor would increase if Clifford is the father of Chic. I personally wanna see the father being someone that no one is bringing up like Hiram or Fred MAYBE Sheriff Keller 

22 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Considering that the Coopers are actually Blossoms the ick factor would increase if Clifford is the father of Chic. I personally wanna see the father being someone that no one is bringing up like Hiram or Fred MAYBE Sheriff Keller 

Well, Alice isn't a Blossom.

I had thought of Fred. Maybe all these scenes of Betty and Archie gazing at each other through their bedroom windows are misdirection and really Alice and Fred are the ones who have been hopping across to the opposite bunny hutch. Maybe Chic is Hal's kid, but Polly and Betty are secretly Fred's, and THAT's why Alice is so opposed to Betty cozying up to Archie.

Sheriff Keller as the father would be a good outsider twist.  I think Hiram would be unlikely to produce a kid who looks like Chic. But not impossible.

37 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

Well, Alice isn't a Blossom.

I had thought of Fred. Maybe all these scenes of Betty and Archie gazing at each other through their bedroom windows are misdirection and really Alice and Fred are the ones who have been hopping across to the opposite bunny hutch. Maybe Chic is Hal's kid, but Polly and Betty are secretly Fred's, and THAT's why Alice is so opposed to Betty cozying up to Archie.

Sheriff Keller as the father would be a good outsider twist.  I think Hiram would be unlikely to produce a kid who looks like Chic. But not impossible.

Omg you are so bad! 

I was thinking fred too since they've indicated that he was popular with the girls in high school but alice hasn't been acting differently towards him...

Man, this episode had so many LOL-worthy moments.

My two favorites:

Archie the International Super Spy having dinner with the Lodges.

Archie: SO MR. AND MRS. LODGE, HOW IS THE SOUTHSIDE HIGH CLOSURE AFFECTING YOUR SUPER-SHADY BUSINESS?

Lodges: Mm-hmm.

Archie: REALLY, TELL ME MORE ABOUT YOUR CRIMINALITY. WHAT ABOUT THE ST. CLAIRS? ARE THEY INVOLVED TOO?

Lodges: Uh-huh.

Archie: I AM REALLY INTERESTED IN ALL OF THE ILLEGAL THINGS YOU'VE BEEN DOING. PLEASE PASS THE GARLIC MASHED POTATOES.

Surpassed only by:

Mr. Weatherby taking a stand against gang activity: From this moment forward, we will no longer tolerate gang activity at this school, in any form.

...unlike before, when gag activity was totes okay. No more!

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

Archie the International Super Spy having dinner with the Lodges.

Archie: SO MR. AND MRS. LODGE, HOW IS THE SOUTHSIDE HIGH CLOSURE AFFECTING YOUR SUPER-SHADY BUSINESS?

Lodges: Mm-hmm.

Archie: REALLY, TELL ME MORE ABOUT YOUR CRIMINALITY. WHAT ABOUT THE ST. CLAIRS? ARE THEY INVOLVED TOO?

Lodges: Uh-huh.

Archie: I AM REALLY INTERESTED IN ALL OF THE ILLEGAL THINGS YOU'VE BEEN DOING. PLEASE PASS THE GARLIC MASHED POTATOES.

I literally LOLd at this. "PLEASE SPEAK INTO THIS FLOWER WHICH IS TOTALLY NOT A MICROPHONE." 

• Love 1

Honestly at this point I think Hal is the evil twin! That guy is a stone cold monster.

What I don't get is how Alice apparently has one heckuva wild child past, even by Riverdale standards, has transmogrified herself into this hyperstrung Establishment Bee-yatch, and nobody, NOBODY, calls her out on it! None of it! She was apparently a Serpent and an unwed mother, her oldest was given up for adoption but was apparently too eee-vil to be snatched up, her oldest daughter was pregnant with twins for approximately thirty seven years by her secret third cousin, her younger daughter was an alluring porch light for the Black Hood (and also stripped in a biker bar in front of half the town) and is dating the son of the man who might as well have FATHERED ALICE COOPER'S LOVE CHILD blazoned across his leathers.

Nobody thinks that maybe this person should not be in charge of the town newspaper? Or anything that doesn't involve safety scissors and big fat crayons?

Edited by Snookums
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, Enginerd said:

How are those dorky khakis and polo shirts supposed to help them fit in? Aside from the gang insignia jackets, the Southsiders' own clothes were fine, just normal teen casual wear.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 0:58 AM, Snookums said:

But then they have to go from totally reasonable--gang wear isn't allowed at school anywhere, Juggie, it's not some personal vendetta--into Veronica getting her parents to buy polos and khakis and Weatherbee threatening to expel the Southsiders if they don't wear them? RIVERDALE HIGH DOESN'T HAVE UNIFORMS.

Seriously. Has the show run out of Twin Peaks WTFery and started to steal bad storylines from "Saved By the Bell"?

I'm getting the bad feeling that the show has hit "Whelp, we told the story we wanted to tell in First Season, and we got renewed. Now what?"

• Love 1

Actually it’s more like Full house when Uncle Jesses evil cousin came to town and they recorded him doing evil things.

And no I think the first season was a good story but then it ended and then they decided to tell what they considered a good story that was more dark and unfortunately it didn’t work out because the Magic has disappeared. 

Also theyve done way too much this season. The so many new characters that they can’t seem to fit in, the lack of a cohesive story because they’ve got a whole bunch going on(the Black Hood, the gang, The Lodges, Betty’s brother and her family, etc) I think this season just so far bought into their hype and now they’re in a mess because nothing makes sense.

Edited by WhosThatGirl

I only made my way through this show via Netflix in Canada over the holidays and this is one of the shows that sort of developed an "ego" on how hip it thought it was to millennials.  The first season was uneven but I can see why people were drawn into it and it had some pretty stand out moments. 

So far this season, it been dragged down by a serial killer story that I didn't care for, and a gang war that wasn't that interesting to begin with.  It's how I felt about Empire around this time: a lot going on to hopefully make people say "OMG!" and instead it was "WTF."  It's a common issue with shows that have a big cast both regular and recurring.  They need to start trimming the fat as to what characters and story lines are not worth the screen time they do get.  

Edited by mtlchick
2 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I only made my way through this show via Netflix in Canada over the holidays and this is one of the shows that sort of developed an "ego" on how hip it thought it was to millennials.  The first season was uneven but I can see why people were drawn into it and it had some pretty stand out moments. 

So far this season, it been dragged down by a serial killer story that I didn't care for, and a gang war that wasn't that interesting to begin with.  It's how I felt about Empire around this time: a lot going on to hopefully make say "OMG!" and instead it was "WTF."  It's a common issue with shows that have a big cast both regular and recurring.  They need to start trimming the fat as to what characters and story lines are not worth the screen time they do get.  

Yup. I think the first season was really good and cohesive and told a story. I think this season everyone bought into their hype and now they bit off more then they can chew. 

This will be my last season of this show.  I thought Riverdale was fresh and different in its first season, but it's gone downhill and simply recycles drama from every bad soap opera ever made.  The whole Lodge family is like something out of a bad episode of Dynasty, and there's never a single moment where you believe Hiram and Hermione are Veronica's parents.  The acting and character depth is so wooden they might as well be a couple of extra chairs in the dining room  Jughead is now a cliché Rebel Without a Cause with his whole "a Serpent never sheds its skin" and "we're going to lie low in the tall grass" crap., and the Serpents themselves are like a gang out of a Frankie and Annette movie from the 60's.  The high school bears no resemblance to any high school that has ever existed.  the only non-students you ever see are the principal and the janitor (who turned out to be a serial killer before being replaced by another creep).  The one teacher I saw was only there so she could have an affair with Archie in season 1.  Polly has run off and apparently joined a cult, and now we have a long-lost brother pop up out of nowhere in a reverse Chuck from Happy Days, with some implied incest vibe going on with Betty.  What an ugly mess this show has become.  I'm stubborn so I will tough it out to the end before bidding farewell in May.

Edited by Dobian
13 minutes ago, Dobian said:

This will be my last season of this show.  I thought Riverdale was fresh and different in its first season, but it's gone downhill and simply recycles drama from every bad soap opera ever made.  The whole Lodge family is like something out of a bad episode of Dynasty, and there's never a single moment where you believe Hiram and Hermione are Veronica's parents.  The acting and character depth is so wooden they might as well be a couple of extra chairs in the dining room  Jughead is now a cliché Rebel Without a Cause with his whole "a Serpent never sheds its skin" and "we're going to lie low in the tall grass" crap., and the Serpents themselves are like a gang out of a Frankie and Annette movie from the 60's.  The high school bears no resemblance to any high school that has ever existed.  the only non-students you ever see are the principal and the janitor (who turned out to be a serial killer before being replaced by another creep).  The one teacher I saw was only there so she could have an affair with Archie in season 1.  Polly has run off and apparently joined a cult, and now we have a long-lost brother pop up out of nowhere in a reverse Chuck from Happy Days, with some implied incest vibe going on with Betty.  What an ugly mess this show has become.  I'm stubborn so I will tough it out to the end before bidding farewell in May.

I’ll probably be joining you in saying goodbye to this show. It’s getting harder and harder for me to enjoy it.

16 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yup. I think the first season was really good and cohesive and told a story. I think this season everyone bought into their hype and now they bit off more then they can chew. 

The UnREAL Syndrome. Fortunately, Riverdale hasn't tried to delve into hot-button social issues.

39 minutes ago, Dobian said:

You actually make it sound better than it is. lol I could get behind the crazy storylines if they embraced the campieness of it all. But they are playing it straight and it's a hot mess. I don't get the love for the Lodges as I feel they are the worst actors on the show. They are all so wooden. Veronica is fine, but OMG her parents just stand around saying shady things with almost zero charisma or emotion. At least Mrs. Blossom is crazy, Alice is unhinged and, well, they're really the only two I like out of the adults. Fred and FP are nice to look at but their characters do nothing for me and at this point all the kids characters have been destroyed. I might not make it through the season.

• Love 1