Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Legion of Superheroes

• Start Topic

At this point I don't think they're going to have Lena go evil, but when she does eventually find out I do think it will turn her against Kara and the others, probably at a moment they really need her help with something.

Honestly I'm not sure why Kara hasn't told her. She's supposed to be Kara's good friend and all, and it would make her life so much easier if she didn't have to keep coming up with excuses.

I kept wondering why Lena was wearing a cocktail dress to the office.  It took me out of every scene she was in.

I think all the time the show is spending on setting up Sam/Reign is causing other characters like Winn to be hanging in the wind.  I'm interested so I don't mind too much. Also she has the best mask on Arrowverse. Maybe all of DC.

This episode is the most I've liked Mon El ever.  I'm shocked. And I loved the non-verbal communication exchanges between him and Saturn Girl. They, along with Brainic, made it seem like a real Legion show.  Me likey.

52 minutes ago, KirkB said:

At this point I don't think they're going to have Lena go evil, but when she does eventually find out I do think it will turn her against Kara and the others, probably at a moment they really need her help with something.

Honestly I'm not sure why Kara hasn't told her. She's supposed to be Kara's good friend and all, and it would make her life so much easier if she didn't have to keep coming up with excuses.

I could semi-buy that she is harboring the fear that Lillian Luthor instilled in her, that when the truth comes out, her friendship is going to end. 

But it is tough to buy that Lena actually doesn't know. Even more than being asked to buy Cat didn't know. After all, Lena has (presumably) spent a fair amount of time with Kara. And she has also spent a fair amount of time with Supergirl. While the J'onn faking being Kara was in good fun, it should have raised more questions for Lena, if anything, when J'onn refers to Jimmy as "Olsen" and so forth. 

Whereas when they tried to fool Cat, J'onn playing Supergirl was easier to pull off.

• Love 1

And I could buy Lena does know and is just waiting for Kara to tell her (though I don't think that's what the show is saying at all) but that still doesn't explain why Kara hasn't told her. It doesn't make her any safer. All it does is put this wedge between them, set up potential future tension, and make them do silly things like take the boss of the DEO away during a period of crisis so he can pretend to be Kara.

9 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

Well, she is one of the founding Legionnaires...and also the one who found a cure for Mon-El's lead poisoning.

Actually, according to comic-book canon, Brainiac-5 came up with the cure by discovering the one key ingredient which Superboy had overlooked 1,000 years earlier when HE tried to invent a cure:  Green Kryptonite.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

Streaky!! Awwwwww! Nice (back)story about young Kara. While it’s abrupt to have it wrapped up in one episode, I’m glad Kara has found her humanity again. (wasn’t really gone, but...)

Brainy is fine, but the wig and makeup are horrible. He reminds of Data from Star Trek. Can’t really tell what his role is going to be from this episode. I wonder how long he’ll be around? I hope they don’t go overboard with making him quirky.

Yeah, the prison yard fight was somewhat underwhelming.

What is the deal with Reign and kryptonite? Clearly it doesn’t harm her as much as other Kryptonians. I don’t like it, but at least they’ve set it up as a reason as to why they can’t take her out with a kryptonite bullet later on.

Didn’t really like this Coville character when he first showed up, and now I’m just annoyed that he keeps popping up, and now is going to be tied to Reign’s story. Speaking of; what - EVEN MORE Kryptonian sleeper agents? (You had one job, exploding Krypton! I kid, I kid.)

Seriously - who is watching Ruby all these times Sam/Reign is off in her fortress or ‘purging sin’??

James and Kara “used to date”? Sure, show. I wish that was true. BUT ANYWAY, glad James/Lena is moving forward! Don’t know if it will last past this season, but I’m enjoying it for now!

Yay, sister couch time!

The Legionnaires are okay; however, the show already struggles with giving the cast it has already stuff to do, and the screentime to do it, so I question why we have all these new characters this year, and whether they'll get proper arcs.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

Getting Jesse Rath to play Brainiac-5 was a good bit of casting at least.  After his time as Alak on Defiance, he's certainly gotten down the whole "too smart/arrogant for his own good at times" persona.  Hope he sticks around for a few more episodes (I mean, it's not like Mon-El's just going to shove him back into the hypo-chamber, right?)

Thought it was a solid return, even if it hit a few obvious notes.  Kara was put into a coma after Reign's ass-kicking, and was hallucinating her loft, where she had to find a way to get out if she wanted to wake.  And the key was apparently a cross of reliving her memories when she had a cat and then finding her glasses and finally seeing the key that was there the entire time?  Still not sure how all of that adds up, but whatever.  Kara is back!

But while she was down for the count, Reign was busy wrecking havoc and killing not just bad guys, but those who "turned a blind-eye", so after a failed attempt by Alex and J'onn to stop him, Mon-El finally quits brooding and being all "This is not our fight!", and he, Imra, and Brainy (hee!) finally throw down with her.  Which... actually, doesn't end very well for them either, and it is Kara who saves the day by stabbing Reign with a syringe filled with Kryptonite.  Damn, guys, I get Reign's a badass, but I would think any the Legends would have figured something out by now.

At least Reign has a new ally!  I do like how Thomas/Chad Lowe wasn't just a "baddie of the week" and is actually ending up being quite significant here.

Zoned out during all the James/Lena stuff.  No chemistry there.

Always down for an excuse to do the whole "J'onn pretends to be Kara" stunt.  Even if it comes with a cost like having to hear all about how James kisses!  Poor J'onn!

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I wonder if Thomas has done a heel turn for real, or if he is still worshipful of Supergirl. and being a double-agent  Or if he just decided it was better to serve Reign than to die.

It seemed like he'd already flipped to Reign when Alex went to talk to him, so it seems legit. Granted, it seems like his entire judgement on who is or isn't worthy is based on who can win a fight between the two, so he'll probably flip back when Supergirl takes Reign down.

• Love 2

whether they'll get proper arcs.

I think Brainy will get an arc depending on whether they plan to go forward with Kara/Brainy. The scene with Mon-El seemed to sort of teasing that, like Mon-El is leaving and then Brainy moves into view. I could picture Kara wanting to give dating him a try based on her convo with Alex. 

Imra so far seems to be closest to maybe getting a consistent personality? She wanted to help in 9 when she offered the DEO support to find info on Reign and here again she was the one petitioning in favor of helping out. As a fan of the Legion it makes me sad that so far the Legion doesn't feel like they have much of a rapport with each other. I guess there was that little scene about Bon Jovi, but that still felt fairly muted. 

From the point of view of a Supergirl show it makes sense that maybe they care more about establishing a rapport between these characters and Kara (like Brainy in this episode) rather than of the newbie characters with each other. But part of the Legion fun is for me how the characters bounce off each other. I think Smallville did that job quite well in their one off episode, there Lightning Lad was the hyperactive one, Cosmis Boy was the one who tried to keep them disciplined and Imra was trying to get everybody to get along. 

I'm also bothered by the show not really telling us more about the powers of the Legionnaires. Like is Imra supposed to be telepathic and telekinetic? Or is she telekinetic instead of telepathic here? Mon-El hasn't used a single power since returned (he flew only with the help of the ring in this episode). Does he even still have them? 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Actually, according to comic-book canon, Brainiac-5 came up with the cure by discovering the one key ingredient which Superboy had overlooked 1,000 years earlier when HE tried to invent a cure:  Green Kryptonite.

Given this show, it'll turn out Mon-El found the cure himself.  And invented the Legion Flight Rings.  And helped George Washington cross the Delaware.  And did something hot to give Mona Lisa that smirk.  And did all those cave drawings in France. 

In summation, Mon-El would be Jimmy from that MST3K episode I Accuse My Parents

• Love 1
5 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

Given this show, it'll turn out Mon-El found the cure himself.  And invented the Legion Flight Rings.  And helped George Washington cross the Delaware.  And did something hot to give Mona Lisa that smirk.  And did all those cave drawings in France. 

In summation, Mon-El would be Jimmy from that MST3K episode I Accuse My Parents

Which would be neat tricks, except that it's already been established that LCorp will invent the cure about 400 years from now and that Mon-El was in suspended animation with the rest of the Legionnaires up until recently, so he couldn't have helped Washington or interacted with Mona Lisa.  As for the flight rings?  Those, believe it or not, were another of Brainiac-5's inventions in the comics -- in fact, he was the one who discovered the element that they're made of as part of his initiation test for Legion membership! 

Writer 1: People still aren't 100% sold on Mon-El, what should we do to get the fans to like him?

Writer 2: You guys seen Stranger Things?

Writer 1: So we focus on making him likable, brave, and a true friend like the kids on that show?

Writer 2: ...

Writer 1: You just want to have him do stuff while we play 80s music in the background, don't you?

• Love 8
19 hours ago, tinnefoil said:

I'm also bothered by the show not really telling us more about the powers of the Legionnaires. Like is Imra supposed to be telepathic and telekinetic? Or is she telekinetic instead of telepathic here? Mon-El hasn't used a single power since returned (he flew only with the help of the ring in this episode). Does he even still have them? 

Yes! Basically I am bothered by the fact that they've nerfed almost all these superheroes -- including and especially J'onn. What's the point of having all these superheroes on this superhero show when only one of them (Supergirl) is allowed to use her powers to their full potential? I mean I watched all of Season 2 and I'm still not sure what Mon-El's powers are.

And why is Supergirl the only one allowed to have a colorful costume?? Everyone else including Reign is in all black. Strut your stuff, people! Get some zing! Take a cue from the Earth next door!

On the other hand, I almost wouldn't mind if they killed off Kara if that meant Melissa Benoist would have to play as J'onn badly impersonating Kara every episode. That will never get old!

But then I'd miss Kara and Alex's warm playful banter on that couch every week, which is always the best part of every episode.

23 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Zoned out during all the James/Lena stuff.  No chemistry there.

Katie McGrath has chemistry with everyone! Katie would have chemistry with a brick wall. Or ... maybe ... Katie McGrath only has chemistry with me ... Katie ....

(This is hilarious to me because I have coworker literally named Katie McGrath. No joke.)

I still think it's normal that in the end everything is always going to default back to the main hero eventually. After all, if they were consistently shown as being less good than other people, I'm sure people would start asking themselves "okay, why aren't we watching a show about this other person then"? 

But there is a middle ground between not overshadowing the main hero/heroine and being incompetent. And watching people be passive and incompetent (unless it is actively played for laughs) isn't fun. Mon-El being trapped in a bubble would have been totally fine and funny in season 2 when his role was "hapless struggling hero in training". But when he's supposed to be brooding Legion leader, it just looks dumb. IMO this scene would have been imporived by something as simple as Mon-El actively throwing the syringe for Kara to catch and use on Reign after he down on the floor/freed from the bubble. Kara would still have gotten the big hero moment of actually stabbing Reign while endangering her own life, after just having come out of coma, but it would have shown them working as a team. 

And the show should really know that comic fans live for moments where they give weird superhero tech explanations of people's powers (kind of like they do when they have Kara or Barry race or when they showed the DEO testing out Mon-El's powers when he joined the show). So why haven't they done that for Imra? If Supergirl/The DEO are going to work together with Legion characters, wouldn't they want to know the nature/extent of their powers and any potential weaknesses so they can work together more effectively. 

I wish they would just flat out say that Mon-El lost his powers along the way at some point. Would make it more heroic for him to go into the field anyway while also providing a reason as to why he doesn't really do much in regards to being useful. 

As a Daxamite, Mon-El's powers are a watered-down version of Supergirl's/Superman's/other Kryptonians: super-strength, invulnerability (except for lead and magic, but invulnerable to Kryptonite), some level of super-speed (but not anywhere near the Flash-like speed Kara seems to have), no ability to fly but the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound, as far as I know, no vision or breath powers.  

12 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

As a Daxamite, Mon-El's powers are a watered-down version of Supergirl's/Superman's/other Kryptonians: super-strength, invulnerability (except for lead and magic, but invulnerable to Kryptonite), some level of super-speed (but not anywhere near the Flash-like speed Kara seems to have), no ability to fly but the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound, as far as I know, no vision or breath powers.  

In other words, his powers are at roughly the same level that Superman's originally were when Superman was first introduced in the comics back in 1938.  Superman didn't start manifesting the power levels that he would have through most of the Golden and Silver Ages until sometime in the early 1940s, and even then, there weren't the subtle distinctions that exist today (heat vision, for example, wasn't considered a separate power from x-ray vision until sometime in the mid-to-late 1960s).

2 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Yes, but he hasn't shown anything of that since he returned. We have seen him use speed and strenght before, in season 2. 

But in season 3: 

• He was holding a gun when they found him on the ship => unless he was expecting enemies with lead bullets, why would do that if he's bulletproof?
  • He snuck around the DEO and knocked out DEO agents using normal "commando" techniques
  • When Kara punched him out he was knocked out for a long time and only woke up in his cell. When Kara punched him in the face in season 2 (while he was posessed by that telepathic bounty hunter), he saw stars but he didn't go unconcious
  • He was not able to break the glass on the pod
  • He did not use speed when trying to stab Reign with Kryptonite
  • He was not able to break the bubble thing, Brainiac had to shoot it to free him

He only used flight and we know that was because of the ring because we saw the ring activate when him and Imra floated upwards. 

(in the comics Mon-El and the other Daxamites absolutely have heat vision and all that jazz)

Mon-El could have lost his powers and it wouldn't contradict anything we've seen him do so far since his return. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, tinnefoil said:

Yes, but he hasn't shown anything of that since he returned. We have seen him use speed and strenght before, in season 2. 

But in season 3: 

• He was holding a gun when they found him on the ship => unless he was expecting enemies with lead bullets, why would do that if he's bulletproof?
  • He snuck around the DEO and knocked out DEO agents using normal "commando" techniques
  • When Kara punched him out he was knocked out for a long time and only woke up in his cell. When Kara punched him in the face in season 2 (while he was posessed by that telepathic bounty hunter), he saw stars but he didn't go unconcious
  • He was not able to break the glass on the pod
  • He did not use speed when trying to stab Reign with Kryptonite
  • He was not able to break the bubble thing, Brainiac had to shoot it to free him

He only used flight and we know that was because of the ring because we saw the ring activate when him and Imra floated upwards. 

(in the comics Mon-El and the other Daxamites absolutely have heat vision and all that jazz)

Mon-El could have lost his powers and it wouldn't contradict anything we've seen him do so far since his return. 

Yeah, the early stuff could be explained by him being out of the sun for all that time he was in the pod depleting his solar energy, but he should be recharged by now. Makes me wonder if the lead poisoning cure took away or seriously weakened his powers.

Oh, Brainiac-5. Whatever did they do to your glorious purple and green color scheme and why? At least they are keeping the trend of Arrow-verse bad wigs alive. Though I'm not sure we needed another Cisco. Especially one who's more Cisco than Winn is on this show. 

More Cisco than Cisco, come to think of it. Yet another socially awkward super-genius character. Yay.

And Mon-El continues to be useless. Perhaps more than ever.

I'm getting so tired of the dumbing down of characters in order to prop up a big dramatic moment for Supergirl. J'onn should have been able to handle Reign, or at least do a lot more than he did, especially with the help of Braniac-5 and Saturn Girl. :(

On 1/16/2018 at 11:37 PM, legaleagle53 said:

*Actually* actually ?, Saturn Girl first invented a temporary treatment, and Brainy later invented the longer-lasting, green-K-based cure. 

Which Superboy might have found first if he had ever wondered why, when he originally discovered Mon-El wasn't affected by Kryptonite, Mon-El *also* wasn't affected by the lead box the Kryptonite was carried in...

• Love 1
On 1/17/2018 at 10:00 PM, Lingo said:

Katie McGrath has chemistry with everyone! Katie would have chemistry with a brick wall.

Man, this feels like Smallville....Michael Rosenbaum (Lex) had insane chemistry with everyone and everything (especially Clark)--everyone, that is, except for Lana Lang. The show put them together and even married them off temporarily, despite Lana literally being the only person he had no chemistry with. Now Supergirl is forcing Lames even though there is like negative chemistry there.

I agree that if they have to put Lena with someone, at least she has chemistry with Winn and they share interests outside of "uh...I guess you're hot."

Huh....Lana took over the Talon with zero qualifications / James took over CatCo with zero qualifications....I guess James really is the Lana of the show.

[Rant on] Probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel sorry for the James character, and the actor. The writer's obviously don't know what to do with him. And since he's not a vigilante anymore, they stick him at CatCo, which rarely has any screentime.

Honestly, I usually ship as many characters as possible in all of my shows, but not this one. I liked the start of James and Kara, but then they ditched them in favor of that douchebag Mon-El. Sure, the guy has a pretty face, but that's just not enough to make me like him.

I'm still pissed off at how much of a bitch Kara was to James, for him wanting to be a vigilante, when hello, she's one and all of her friends from the other universes are. And yet, she's gonna tell James off for trying to help protect people? GMAFB.

And don't even get me started on how they ROYALLY screwed up Sanvers. I swear.  Sanvers was the only lesbian couple I've liked in the last 5 years, and now they're not even speaking. Stupid ass writer's.

I don't understand why it's such a big deal to have 2 badass women like Alex and Maggie together, in a solid partnership, in love and kicking bad guy ass together. But then they had to go and ruin it. The whole Alex wants kids things, was just an excuse for them to end Alex and Maggie as a couple.

I mean, have you noticed that? The CW LOVES to hype up all these supposed gay couples, and you see them once or twice, and then forget they're ever there. Let's take a look at some examples:

Arrow:
Curtis and his husband: Divorce because Curtis wanted to be a vigilante. Saw them together a handful of times and had the husband bitch a lot, with no way to work things out, and then he's history.

The Flash: 

David Singh and his husband. 1 or 2 episodes of screentime in 4 years. The only time I actually remember seeing the husband was when Singh was in the hospital, and introduced him to Barry.

Supergirl: Sanvers. They were good in most of season 2, and a few episodes of season 3. But shortly into season 3, I saw the writing on the wall and hoped they would go in another direction. But, nope. Apparently break ups are the only personal angst they know how to give characters, unless of course, it has to do with having others come back from the dead, or have Daddy issues. [/Rant off]

Edited by Laina
  • Love 1
On 1/15/2018 at 9:41 PM, legaleagle53 said:
On 1/15/2018 at 9:37 PM, quarks said:

5. I am at a loss to explain virtually anything with Mon-El in this episode.  If it's so vital that your DNA survives, why not ask the DEO to take some blood samples and freeze them? The three of you aren't invulnerable to needles the way Kara is.

Mon-El is; the other two aren't.

How did the information get into his DNA?

Tell him to dig his nails into himself until he makes himself bleed. There's your DNA.

On 1/16/2018 at 1:11 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Mon-El could presumably get his blood taken by a lead needle. He also would have his DNA in saliva, hair and such.

Or the last part. I don't think he's still vulnerable to lead, though, or he'd be dead.

On 1/16/2018 at 9:21 PM, statsgirl said:

I kept wondering why Lena was wearing a cocktail dress to the office.  It took me out of every scene she was in.

It struck me as an attempt to further attract James and completely inappropriate for work. When he went to touch her to reaasure her at the end, he had to touch her bare shoulder, which was quite awkward.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
7 hours ago, Laina said:

I don't understand why it's such a big deal to have 2 badass women like Alex and Maggie together, in a solid partnership, in love and kicking bad guy ass together. But then they had to go and ruin it. The whole Alex wants kids things, was just an excuse for them to end Alex and Maggie as a couple.

It's been mentioned many times that the actress who played Maggie wanted to leave the show.  I'm not sure what the CW was supposed to do.

Man, this feels like Smallville....Michael Rosenbaum (Lex) had insane chemistry with everyone and everything (especially Clark)--everyone, that is, except for Lana Lang. The show put them together and even married them off temporarily, despite Lana literally being the only person he had no chemistry with.

People saying that X has chemistry with everybody except the people they are actually put with (aka doing the job they are actually supposed to do) feels like a sorry excuse for me. It's easy to have chemistry in just the hypothetical. For the record, I thought Rosenbaum's chemistry with Lana was fine. 

People use "they don't have chemistry" interchangeably with "I don't want this storyline" way too often. 

Huh....Lana took over the Talon with zero qualifications / James took over CatCo with zero qualifications....I guess James really is the Lana of the show.

You mean like us being supposed to buy Lena as running a news business all of a sudden or Sam graduating from single mom worried about her future to CEO of LCorp? 

Edited by tinnefoil
On 1/16/2018 at 5:07 PM, Iceman91 said:

I like Brainiac he's a needed comic relief for this season and his scenes with Kara were fun, I doubt it will become romantic because he seems stranger to humans emotions.

This is why I like the idea, to be honest. Someone else said he reminded them of Data on Star Trek, which I can also see. I remember one of the Star Trek movies where they gave Data a love interest and I was super into it, lol. Spock is another one. I don't know, I've always liked the concept of bringing out a robotic character's human emotions, it's kinda sexy to me. So yeah, I wouldn't mind it.

But I honestly don't know if they even intend to do that here, because of the way he looks, with the blue makeup and white hair and everything. It just doesn't seem like a CW thing to do with its lead, they always want to put them with a conventional boring hot guy, etc (that applies to every single one of her love interests so far). Would they really explore a romance between her and this dude, who actually looks and sounds alien? I mean, I myself would like it, but it seems doubtful.

Two questions:

Do we know how old Sam/Reign is supposed to be? She should be the same age as Superman, but I think her backstory episode contradicted that.

Did we lose a set for that Legion Spaceship set?

Do we know how old Sam/Reign is supposed to be? She should be the same age as Superman, but I think her backstory episode contradicted that.

It should be 18 + whatever age Ruby is. I don't think she'd have to be exactly the same age as Superman, maybe her rocket flew slower or took a different path. 

Did we lose a set for that Legion Spaceship set?

Does the Daxamite ship count? 

This season we have seen: 

- DEO main room
- DEO med bay
- DEO training chamber
- DEO Alura room

CatCo (including James/Cat office)

Kara's appartment

Alex appartment

L-Corp offices

The alien bar 

And Sam's appartment as another new one. 

On 1/15/2018 at 11:20 PM, KirkB said:

That's not the Brainiac I'm used to, and I haven't kept up with the comics, but isn't he usually green? He looked blue to me.

On 1/16/2018 at 0:58 AM, Lantern7 said:

Oh, and we got Brainiac 5, who's gone from green to . . . what do you call that color? I know it's blue, but it's . . . light blue? Silver blue?

On 1/16/2018 at 1:11 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Brainy doesn't really look like the Brainy I remember. Classic Brainy was green-skinned and blonde. 

On 1/18/2018 at 9:34 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

Oh, Brainiac-5. Whatever did they do to your glorious purple and green color scheme and why?

It suddenly came to me! J'onn is green and they didn't want to have 2 green characters (J'onn's father notwithstanding since there's no choice there and he rarely appears.) There's a green quota!

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, tinnefoil said:

People saying that X has chemistry with everybody except the people they are actually put with (aka doing the job they are actually supposed to do) feels like a sorry excuse for me. It's easy to have chemistry in just the hypothetical. For the record, I thought Rosenbaum's chemistry with Lana was fine. 

People use "they don't have chemistry" interchangeably with "I don't want this storyline" way too often. 

Rosenbaum has chemistry with passing motorists and inanimate objects though. And Welling, despite being a lovely man, has the chemistry of a potted plant.

• LOL 1