Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Janine's Story

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, dahling said:

Speaking of all the people responsible for pushing her on/dragging her off the planes, I thought they were all remarkably kind to her.  The worst she was treated during the whole show was the guy who yelled at her in SeaTac when she almost ran him over. 

That one flight attendant who kept saying "you're fine you'e fine" because she was crying and carrying on...omg

• Love 10
40 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

This is the stupidest thing not to get a direct flight when it takes 10 people to shove you onto a plane. Not only is she mentally ill, she is an idiot. There are at least 3 direct flights a day seattle to houston if not more! I don't understand this at all. Especially after what happened on the first attempt she decided to save $50 she would do it twice? Who is paying the people who are shoving her fat ass thru the plane door? At least she didn't say I feel like Cleopatra!!

I felt that she should look into her birth parents medical and mental history. I know she was adopted but I think that info could of been helpful.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, kj4ever said:

The one thing I couldn't get over - how she says she had no help.  There's no way in hell she didn't have any help.  I mean she wouldn't even be able to clean a litter box herself.  Can you imagine her bending down to scoop a little box?  I don't think the scooter twists like that, and she is not going to do anything unless that thing is involved.  She has to have some kind of home health service.  I mean food, yeah, you can use pea pod or insta cart for that, but just the daily stuff?  No way she had zero help.  No. Way.

Yup. I said the exact same thing to my husband. We have 4 cats and 5 litter boxes (3 of them are the auto cleaning type).  I'm considerably overweight, and the amount of bending over necessary to scoop the boxes and empty the receptacle boxes leaves me out of breath.  No way she was doing that. And her freezer was chock full of frozen food (much of it junk, I'm sure), so she's either using a delivery service or she has someone doing her grocery shopping. When she was in the Houston hospital for the infection, she mentioned that they'd given her a medical assistant to get the cat boarded and pick up her clothes. She had to have had someone like that in Seattle - I imagine that she's had medical issues requiring hospitalization there, too, and given that she has no family or friends, social services were likely involved at some point to make sure she's okay at home. I would have paid a pet sitter to come to the house rather than boarding the cat - poor thing is probably stressed enough from the move to Houston and the sudden disappearance of her owner. She didn't need the additional stress of being boarded.

Two of my cats like to drink out of the toilet bowl and their claws have scraped a lot of the paint from the toilet seat in our main floor powder room, so there are large areas of black exposed on the seat. I immediately recognized the black areas on her toilet as wear marks rather than shit stains. I'm so used to the toilet seat here that I don't even notice it anymore. Now that I've really examined it, I realize it's time to replace the seat.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, dahling said:

I noticed that, but I really think it was just the paint was worn off the edge of the toilet seat. The whole thing looked pretty abused: standard toilets aren't meant to bear 600+ lbs of weight. 

My plumber told me he is seeing more toilets ripped from the floor when a large person drops down on them. He said the tank is shoved back into the wall and the seal is broken on the floor.   

• Love 2

The worst she was treated during the whole show was the guy who yelled at her in SeaTac when she almost ran him over. 

She did almost run him over.  I would have yelled at her too. That thing is the size of some small cars and it's her damn responsibility to watch where she's going.  

• Love 17

When she said Dr. Now could either help her or leave her to die I knew she wasn’t ready to lose weight. Zero accountability or personal responsibility. 

Also, so hard to watch people who can’t take care of themselves have animals. What kind of life is that for their poor pets?!

• Love 23
11 hours ago, Aw my lahgs said:

One reason she’s so lonely, other than her being so annoying, is that I think she’s slightly on the spectrum. Something along the lines of PDD-NOS. She’s totally clueless about how life and relationships work. She doesn’t really have many social skills.

Where does she get her money from? She lives in decent apartments in Seattle and Houston. She wears real clothes. She has a pet. She could afford plane travel. How? She mentioned being a clothing designer and BBW model in the past, but nothing about right now.

The camera man kept zooming in on the wheels of her scooter. Was he waiting for the scooter to break?

I soooo wanted to root for her. I sooo wanted to like her. But she’s horrible. Dont think she’ll make it. Her future is as gloomy as Mr Awww my legs.

I was wondering the same thing as she seems to have enough cash flow to keep her self-destructive lifestyle going.  The kitchen in the Houston house was simply lovely and updated.  I do not think the show pays for housing but perhaps for the new season their financial contributions to the participants has changed for the better???  Who was paying the assistant she hired to help her???  I do not believe a monthly disability check would cover all this, especially since she apparently has a very short work history.

Also, I was wondering about the brother we never heard anything about during the show.  Apparently. the wife of 1 of the bros and her  movie-star wannabe daughter are involved with Janine but that seems about IT!!

• Love 5

I fast forward through most of these shows now, cannot stand the waste of time watching 2 hours of petulant, whiney people.  Had gastric bypass last year, I followed (and still follow) the rules, and hey - I've lost weight, 20# prior to surgery so no fatty liver and it was easy to move it off the operative area.  100# total and I am at the weight I want to be.

I've flown from Seattle to New Orleans - the plane stopped in Houston coming and going.  No Dallas stops.

No one is forcing these people to look into surgery or to having it.  It is a tool to assist me in changing my life, as it should be for them, but so little drama.

• Love 24
55 minutes ago, pdlinda1 said:

I was wondering the same thing as she seems to have enough cash flow to keep her self-destructive lifestyle going.  The kitchen in the Houston house was simply lovely and updated.  I do not think the show pays for housing but perhaps for the new season their financial contributions to the participants has changed for the better???  Who was paying the assistant she hired to help her???  I do not believe a monthly disability check would cover all this, especially since she apparently has a very short work history.

Also, I was wondering about the brother we never heard anything about during the show.  Apparently. the wife of 1 of the bros and her  movie-star wannabe daughter are involved with Janine but that seems about IT!!

I don't think they have cut her totally out of her life.  I don't think the SIL would have been there to help if that was the case.  They might simply not want to be on TV.  I know I couldn't pack up my stuff and jump to help my family member, and the SIL was flying out of Denver so I'm assuming they live there.  Besides, not everyone (most people I would imagine) wants their crap displayed on TV.  I mean my sister and her excuses could give this lady a run for her money and there is no way in hell I'd go on TV with her!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

At least Janine didn't have an enabler. 

Her niece was a pearl of great price.  Jumped right in with the "let's find some exercise you can do lying in bed."  

3 hours ago, Cherrio said:

I am going to start a new business transporting people to Houston to see Dr. Now.  Along the way, all pets will be rescued. I think the vehicle I have chosen will be both enticing and comfortable

Okay, YOU owe me a new computer screen!

Seriously, the ONE thing Dr. Now is always asking these people to do is see.a.therapist.  And that is the one thing they all push back on or put off.  Let me spell it out for you -- you have a problem. a SERIOUS problem with food and you are using it as an escape or as compensation.   What is remarkable is I would bet my next paycheck that if we asked them if they believed the starvation-thin anorexic nervosa sufferers needed a shrink, they'd all say "of course they do!"  

Well, SO DO YOU.  

• Love 12
7 hours ago, swankie said:

And did anyone else see all of the shit that was on the inside rim of the toilet seat after she finished using it and got up?  Clearly the grabber thingy isn't really a good way to wipe a 600 pound person's ass.  I just hope that she cleaned it off before leaving the bathroom and they just edited that part out.  Damned editors could have edited out that whole scene as far as I'm concerned.  I think we've seen enough of these people going to the bathroom.  Ewww!  And using a metal grabber thing to wipe your ass sounds hella painful. 

I’m wondering does she run the tongs through the dishwasher or what?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, jennblevins said:

I’ve seen ads for the gastric balloons around here (as @Tabbygirl521 pointed out in the chat thread, IN THE SEATTLE AREA, specifically by the Costco near the Sno-King county line). I was curious about when they’d become available, too — Google seems to think 2015. Also that some people have died after having them implanted?

The picture in the ad pretty clearly showed the balloon pill on a string ... just thinking about swallowing that is making me queasy. 

That may be the billboard I saw - I live about ten minutes from there and pass by often. Small world!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Cherrio said:

She probably only had one box of waffles instead of two.

I am going to start a new business transporting people to Houston to see Dr. Now.  Along the way, all pets will be rescued. I think the vehicle I have chosen will be both enticing and comfortable.

wmob001.jpg.f8ff8d0418c6ef1dcdcb99b6c2e967f9.jpg

I think I love you ?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, Carolina Girl said:

Seriously, the ONE thing Dr. Now is always asking these people to do is see.a.therapist.  And that is the one thing they all push back on or put off.  Let me spell it out for you -- you have a problem. a SERIOUS problem with food and you are using it as an escape or as compensation.   What is remarkable is I would bet my next paycheck that if we asked them if they believed the starvation-thin anorexic nervosa sufferers needed a shrink, they'd all say "of course they do!"  

Well, SO DO YOU.  

I noticed that she kept procrastinating things, she mentioned she was supposed to go to therapy, but said, "I'll do it soon." Therapy would have helped enormously.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, kj4ever said:

I almost think they should all get that balloon in the early period where they need to lose weight before surgery...

There have been reports of people dying from the balloons-I wouldn’t risk it. And people of all sizes can be in pain. She probably has arthritis made much worse by her weight as well as tears in her knees or other joints. If someone who was anorexic said they were in pain, they would be believed, but a fat person can’t really be in pain?

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 12
58 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

When she was talking about how she enjoyed the attention of being a BBW model and she felt fine physically, but it crept up on her and fucked up her health and knees by 40, I was like "Whitney Thore, are you listening?" This was seriously Whitney in 20 years, if she lives that long.

Ha!  and there were Whitney Fat Fabulous life commercials during this too!  I said in the live thread that I hope she was watching for her commercials (or course she would, she's like the biggest narcissist) that this makes her wake up and realize that this will be her life in 10 years.  Can't STAND her or her irresponsible message.  I'm all for body acceptance, but the whole "being fat doesn't make you unhealthy" crap is just wrong.

I mean yeah some bigger people might not have problems.  Some people drive drunk and don't get into accidents.  Doesn't mean people should get liquored up and drive around.

Edited by kj4ever
  • Love 9
19 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I have planned ahead, mainly out of fear of an Assanti and have added to my fleet. If Steven misbehaves he will be sent out to sea on the pepperoni surfboard.

28678117091_864153e62f_b.thumb.jpg.93da492362a2daa8efd9525158e8d850.jpg

IF?  You better get some straps for that board now...lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Kellyee said:

Being more than 300 pounds overweight is an eating disorder. Janine is over 500 pounds overweight, which makes her the same as a 75 pound anorexic when it comes to mental health. Would you send a 75 pound anorexic on the verge of death home and scream at her to try harder?

Janine has no coping skills. None. She's not just craving a burger and being too lazy to resist the urge. She comes across like a whiny manipulative baby, but really she's seriously mentally ill. I want to know how much money Dr. Now makes off these people.

I believe this 100%. I don't understand why compulsive overeating and morbid obesity are not treated like mental health concerns in the same way as anorexia and bulimia. I also think food is the drug of choice for many who suffer with undiagnosed and/or untested mental illness.  If we had a system that properly diagnosed and treated mental illness, free of shame and sigma, we would make a lot of progress in solving many social problems, such as, drug and alcohol abuse, obesity, criminal behavior, poor parenting, and so on. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Erinwatchestv said:

When she said Dr. Now could either help her or leave her to die I knew she wasn’t ready to lose weight. Zero accountability or personal responsibility. 

Also, so hard to watch people who can’t take care of themselves have animals. What kind of life is that for their poor pets?!

That drove me crazy.  She seemed pretty self-aware at first.  She reminded me of a bit of Nikki (who i loved, because she took it so seriously from the word go).  But, as the episode progressed she seemed more and more delusional.   And I completely understand why her brothers were MIA.  I was left the impression that she felt not only entitled to the life, diet, world she wanted, but that it was also other people's job to help make that happen for her.

But, then I also didn't think she's that different thank many of the people on this show.  They seem to believe that the surgery is a way for them to keep living the life they've always lived.  That they will get the surgery, continue to eat as they always have, and then just lose weight.  

• Love 9

I realize that she had some serious leg issues, but, still.....Did you notice how she would seem to pretend to stand, but, not really?  I see that a lot with the patients who don't want to walk.  They will make a big, apparent attempt, but, they really don't do anything but lift their arms up. They don't seem to really do anything with their legs but, let them dangle.  I think it's intentional and not a result of weak legs. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I’m wondering does she run the tongs through the dishwasher or what?

My mind refuses to go there.  Nope.

Therapy should be arranged before traveling that distance.  Come on, couldn't Dr. Now have arranged for Janine to see a doctor in Seattle first, and then prescribed some anti-anxiety meds for the trip?  I'm sure they skip over some of what goes on, but this whole thing just seemed so haphazard to me.

• Love 15

I started out this episode thinking feeling kinda bad for Janine. I've done a lot of research on eating disorders, since I've suffered with multiple ones since I was in college, and I know that parents who overly monitor a child's eating are more likely causing an eating disorder, not preventing one. (My parents didn't do that to me, mine started due to excessively rigid dieting. Another topic altogether). I was thinking, "Yep, it's no wonder she's so screwed up!" But as the episode wore on, I started to doubt whether any of that ever happened or, like every single time she was challenged, she was just making excuses.

By about 20 minutes in I was screaming at the TV. And when this bitch started telling Dr Now she was afraid she was bulimic, I'd HAD IT.  Are you freaking kidding me?! First of all, she obviously has no idea what bulimia actually is and second that whiney, fake voice complaining to Dr Now sent me through the roof.

She definitely suffers from binge eating disorder, no doubt, but she is in such denial that it was hard to watch. She has obviously given up on herself and her life and wants to pretend she's "trying soooo haaard" - ugh!!! Are you seriously going to gain 63 pounds in two months and claim you don't know why? Seriously? For real?

The final straw was her magical thinking about surgery - another one who thinks surgery will just make her cravings go away and she'll be all better! La-la-la-la-lah!  She thought a gastric balloon was drastic but gastric bypass was not? And why would Dr Now even do the balloon when he knows, 100%, that she will not be able to eat healthfully on her own? 

There is something seriously wrong with this woman. Not her weight, not her eating disorder -- her head. She needs a psychiatrist, not Dr Now. 

Mark this one as another that I have no desire to see any follow-up about. 

• Love 14

I think the second flight was a direct flight but not a nonstop.  It appeared to be a Southwest flight; SWA doesn't have nonstop flights between those cites, but they may have had direct flights at some point.  I live in Florida, and it's very, very common for my plane to be going on to another Florida city, half of the passengers with it, after they stop in my city. 

They also have very generous passenger of size policies, so it may have been the only airline that didn't make her buy three seats.

I'd like to know about that first airline, though.  I have no idea who the carrier was, I've never seen that bulkhead design, and they seemed to have some supersized seats.   

• Love 3

She thought she was faint because she hadn't eaten that day. These delusional twits all think they're these tender reeds, don't they? They whine about not having eaten, they're afraid they'll pass out if they don't eat every half hour, they think they're malnourished if they have to eat the 1200 calorie diet. Honey, you are not that fragile. 

All airport hysterics were just ridiculous. I kept yelling "honey, take a goddamn valium and get on with it!"

I don't blame her brothers one bit for leaving her to her own devices. How many times have we as watchers wondered why the families of these human black holes stick around to be manipulated, bullied and used as servants to cater to their every whim? I say "Bravo!" to Janine's brothers, who have apparently decided that she is an adult and can live with her choices, and that they have lives of their own to lead.

Niece Rachel did seem to love to be the ministering angel. She looked like Tori Spelling, if Tori Spelling was pretty. 

• Love 17

I have personally flown direct from Seattle to Houston several times, so there must have been some other reason she didn't have a direct flight. How on earth did she decide it was a good idea to book a flight that wasn't direct after her first catastrophe? SMDH

• Love 6

Good grief. After the corndog and the ice cream, she laid back and rubbed her belly.  Rolled her eyes. Head back. Food orgasm. Really sad.

She comes across to me as a really sick woman on many levels. That calm creepy voice is super weird.

And who is dyeing her hair purple?

Edited by seasons
  • Love 21
9 minutes ago, seasons said:

Good grief. After the corndog and the ice cream, she laid back and rubbed her belly.  Rolled her eyes. Head back. Food orgasm. Really sad.

She comes across to me as a really sick woman on many levels. That calm creepy voice is super weird.

And who is dyeing her hair purple?

That TOTALLY creeped me out how she rubbed her belly like that. Very disturbing

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, aliya said:

The one time I actually see a note on the extended edition, I learn about a cardboard box museum in France.

I don’t know how in the world TLC can call this a new episode??  All I have seen that’s new are a series of non related trivia about the biggest waffle in the world, airports and the original form of ambulatory care.  It’s ridiculous.  Are they going to have part two on this women next week?

• Love 2
22 hours ago, shouldbedancing said:

Now Jonathan is the ultimate scam. I don't know how much she paid him to stand there and say nothing but... she got her money's worth with that.

He was hired to help her make the trip.  He did the packing, took her to the airport, and help her on the plane.  The second trip, he did packing, but couldn't travel with her.
He did what he was hired to do, so I can't fault him.

21 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I don't think Jan knows what bulimia is.

That was a pretty stunning claim for her to make, wasn't it?

21 hours ago, dahling said:

Who the hell is making her travel plans? There has to be a direct flight or 10 between Houston and Seattle.

I just checked, and there are.  I wonder though, if the type/configuration of the plane made a difference, and she couldn't fit on some.

20 hours ago, MsVixen said:

Could she have traveled by train? 

NO! Unless she leased a private car somehow, trains are NOT made for people her size, and I had a dreadful time when I took my mother on one, when she was using a walker.  
What they called a handicapped seat was maybe a little wider, but that was the longest 8 hour trip of my life.
And the restrooms would be too small, and she'd have to walk, no room for the scooter or a wheelchair.|
If she could afford it, I wonder if medical transport all the way would have been easiest.

13 hours ago, Kellyee said:

She doesn't need a gastric bypass as much as she needs mental health treatment and a social worker to work out the real issues.

While she may need all that, it's her weight that has her in imminent danger of dying.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, seasons said:

More than once on the hoarding show I've seen the clean up crew find the skeletal remains of a cat in the hoard. Janine's cat had seriously better sleep with one eye open, and NOT on that bed. How would she even know if she crushed it? 

5 minutes ago, Maggienolia said:

Y'all. She has TWO cats. TWO. 

Edited by seasons
Uh oh.
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, kj4ever said:

really did feel bad for Janine when they were talking about her childhood.  The diet pills at 4, the constant monitoring of food.  Of course this is going to mess you up.

I agree, and wonder if the adoption agency should have not mentioned her fat mother.  Maybe she'd have been okay, and probably better than she ended up.

11 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

I have no sympathy for you when I see you stuffing your face with corndogs AFTER being put on the diet and then saying you don't understand why you gained.

They all say this, is it some time of food amnesia? Didn't I see something gravy when she was on the 1200 calories.

11 hours ago, aliya said:

They've done the balloon in the UK for a few years. We are only just starting it. The guy I saw on YT who had it, did quite well, but I'm not gonna lie - I think I'd be like Jan and feel nauseated all the time. 

I asked about this somewhere else too, but is this what the Drs.Davis (Garth & his dad) used on their sister/daughter, and you inflated or deflated it, depending on how it was working?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I asked about this somewhere else too, but is this what the Drs.Davis (Garth & his dad) used on their sister/daughter, and you inflated or deflated it, depending on how it was working?

Naw - she had a lap band, which has a saline fill that can be increased or decreased. The balloon is different. 

So wait a minute - she has a hole the size of Montana in her thigh and 1) didn't feel it (maybe that's what pained her on the plane, tho she seemed to be fine elsewhere) and 2) isn't thankful that she's in the hospital instead of the morgue having died of sepsis. Jeez.

Wait a minute again - any other time Dr Now tries to get these minimally mobile people up on the scale, there are 20 people in the room. As much as I want to slap her, why is she trying to stand by herself? Gosh - she's wheezing like heck, just from trying to stand.

Edited by aliya
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

She looked like Tori Spelling, if Tori Spelling was pretty. 

I love this.  A great backhanded compliment, that would leave the person puzzling forever.  
(And I saw Tori doing a commercial for a psychic hotline.  Did Aaron Spelling work to amass a fortune for this?

9 minutes ago, aliya said:

Naw - she had a lap band, which has a saline fill that can be increased or decreased. The balloon is different. 

Thank you!

• Love 2

I was telling a coworker, who is a nurse, about this show and mentioned that Janine was too fat for the x-ray and that I'd never heard of such a thing. She said she hadn't either.  Good lord - too big to be x-rayed. 

Do people usually use their scooters in the house?  Don't they use a wheelchair? I admit not to knowing much about these things.

• Love 2

I'm a little behind.  Sooo, does she HATE it in the hospital?

K, kidding, but that was the funniest moan and groan I've seen in a long time on this show.   "I hate it here, no actually I mean I hate it, I really hate it here in this Hospital, I hate the food the diet is terrible, I want to go home because, did I say I hate it here??!

• Love 2
On 1/18/2018 at 6:58 PM, calpurnia99 said:

She thought she'd be 495 but she was 603. I swear they think if they diet for 3 days before the weigh in Dr. Now won't know they cheated the whole time. She needs PT to get up and walk.  

Yeah, she had “a bad week” amd regained 63 lbs. I’ve done that. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 20
2 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Yeah, she “a bad week” amd regained 63 lbs. I’ve done that. 

Fotflol!  I'll admit to dieting for 72 hours before a doctor's appointment and watching the scale intently in hopes I made goal.

• Love 8