Type keyword(s) to search

Crashing - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

42 minutes ago, SHD said:

Pete couldn’t have sucked it up for more of the Good Faith tour and made a little more cash to tide him over? He’d rather spend his time making no money and being insulted by Amy Schumer? He should’ve had the courage to just quit instead of making them fire him.

I know. $1,000 a show and they did a show every night. Crazy. And calling Kat “hot” was quite a stretch. Pete’s cute but I could find nothing attractive about Kat.  

• Love 4

I wonder if there is a Christian variety tour, with a market big enough to susta8n those kinds of paydays for the performers.

In any event, Kat isn’t wrong, Pete was into it until she showed her bat shit crazy side.

Previews for the finale make it look like he and Ali may give it another go.

Plus he lands on his feet career wise, getting to open for John Mullaney.

Hmm so they should know soon if they don’t know already whether they’re renewed.

With the changes at HBO, it might have a good shot.

• Love 1

I thought it was funny that the woman playing the head of the Christian comedy tour was Eve Plumb (aka Jan Brady), and over the end credits they played a song by the Brady Bunch (featuring Jan doing a solo). 

• Love 4
(edited)

I can't believe I didn't even recognize Eve Plumb until I saw her name in the credits.

The end song was a hoot!

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I recognized her only after she had been in a couple of scenes.

It was my interpretation that Pete didn't get fired on purpose, he just couldn't help himself with the material, it was in his nature to be a little bit raw, and that came out in the standup material. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, cpcathy said:

I recognized her only after she had been in a couple of scenes.

It was my interpretation that Pete didn't get fired on purpose, he just couldn't help himself with the material, it was in his nature to be a little bit raw, and that came out in the standup material. 

Agreed, I think the conversation with Jessica really got into his head and solidified what had been bothering him about the tour all along. It wasn't that he was worried other people would think he was a sell-out. That was a symptom, not the root. When she said that he needed to figure out within himself what the line was he wouldn't cross, that resonated. Then when she said to be careful that he wasn't funnier off stage than on, that also resonated.

If you notice, it wasn't cussing that got him fired, or talking about a "taboo" subject. It was speaking honestly about his faith in a way that wasn't traditionally "comfortable" for the average church-goer. He could get onstage and not cuss, not discuss bodily functions, pretend he wasn't having sex with his girlfriend. None of those crossed his personal line. But pretending that he didn't have complex thoughts about the big ideas that were closest to his heart was too much for him. That was his line. He found it.

Unfortunately, it meant giving up the money, but that was what he had to do in order to look himself in the mirror. I mean, hell, it's not like he had kids to feed. If you can't blow off gigs for your principles when you're single and free, when are you ever going to be able to do it?

• Love 3

Didn't recognize her at all.

Strange stunt casting but she did a good job of being a joy kill, pearl-clutching church lady I guess.

By now, Pete has all these stand-up friends and acquaintances.  I guess it's a far cry from having to hand out fliers, though he could go back to that any time, since the show isn't depicting him as someone who's able to make regular appearances on TV yet.

Maybe this episode is a sign that he's pretty much left his evangelical upbringing for good now.  At the beginning of this series, he was like Mike Pence who frustrated Jessie sexually for not being passionate enough.  Contrast that with this season where he got freaky with Kat, screwing all over the place.

And he seems to be firmly a New Yorker, not likely to go back home or if he did visit, he wants to leave as soon as he can.

• Love 2

It's been cancelled? Wow, HBO has an issue with these low-key comedies, they don't seem to make it past two or three seasons. But we got, what, 7 seasons of Entourage??

I still miss Togetherness and Bored to Death.

• Love 3

Ratings must have been really poor because AT&T is going to make HBO increase the amount of original programming.

For instance, this year they will have 150 hours, which is 50% more than last year.

Then Richard Pepler, who's been at HBO for almost 30 years, resigned because AT&T was going to go over his head as far as programming decisions going forward.

So they will crank up the amount of shows and probably be like Netflix, inundate with quantity over quality.

• Love 2

What a great episode. Pete did a great acting job, and Mulaney was excellent. Really happy with the ending, Pete mentioned it would wrap up the series strangely well and it hit all the right notes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

What a great episode. Pete did a great acting job, and Mulaney was excellent. Really happy with the ending, Pete mentioned it would wrap up the series strangely well and it hit all the right notes.

I agree. I’m not sure they could’ve done a better series ender even if they had known. Mulaney’s a riot.

• Love 1

It was okay.  If they continued, it would mean that this season, Pete eventually got back with Ali.

And he has these little triumphs in his career, enough of them to keep at it.

No doubt he’d suffer some setbacks so he never becomes a huge star.  

Not sure there was ever an overarching story though, just the professional and amorous adventures of a goofy looking but amiable lug.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 1
On 3/4/2019 at 12:17 AM, Lemons said:

I know. $1,000 a show and they did a show every night. Crazy. And calling Kat “hot” was quite a stretch. Pete’s cute but I could find nothing attractive about Kat.  

I just bingewatched the whole series. When Kat showed up my reaction was that she seemed like a more realistic match for Pete, attractiveness-wise, than Ali or his ex-wife (who I think are both pretty gorgeous.)

Don't get me wrong, the actress who plays Kat is very attractive, but I felt like she was styled to look a bit "off." Her hair was the least flattering length possible, and her hair color was too light, and her brows didn't match her hair, etc. I thought it was brilliant styling, considering how "off" she was, personality-wise.

But then it became obvious that Kat was supposed to be drop-dead gorgeous. So...maybe not?

I liked this series, but my biggest issue with it was that Pete went from being a horrendous stand-up to a pretty good one very, very quickly.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

hen Kat showed up my reaction was that she seemed like a more realistic match for Pete, attractiveness-wise, than Ali or his ex-wife (who I think are both pretty gorgeous.)

Ali is played by Jamie Lee who is Pete’s real life ex girlfriend so he can apparently get it.

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Ali is played by Jamie Lee who is Pete’s real life ex girlfriend so he can apparently get it.

In real life I doubt he's ever been as clueless or humorless as he was portrayed in season one and the beginning of season two.

16 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

eal life I doubt he's ever been as clueless or humorless as he was portrayed in season one and the beginning of season two.

Based on his podcast he is still fucking cluless in real life.

Pete Holmes on Adam Carolla podcast.

Says Crashing was an expensive show to make.  They shot on film, which Apatow insisted, and shot in NY.

They just never had a crossover audience, meaning while it drew in younger viewers, especially those in comedy or following the comic scene, it wouldn't bring in his mother's friends.

I don't know that HBO shows need to appeal to all age ranges but I guess it needed a large enough audience to justify the costs.