Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Rhonda, Diana, Jake, And Trent

16 hours ago, Samsnee said:

Man I love this show. No way Michael is gone. That sacrifice surely has earned him a spot in the Good Place. 

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking too. Michael has been a human-torturing demon for eons. I don't think just helping these humans a bit isn't enough to be forgiven. But being willing to be destroyed for them? That's a big deal. 

• Love 2

I don't see Michael's sacrifice as predictable or cliche as much as I see it necessary in continuing to parallel his development with Eleanor's. Michael's willingness to risk retirement to save Eleanor mirrors Eleanor's leaving Mindy's in the first season to save her friends from being sent to the Bad Place. (Soulmates--not necessarily romantic soulmates--are absolutely real in this universe as evidenced by Michael and Eleanor.)  And who knows how this is all actually going to play out. I'm just excited to watch. 

• Love 6

I have to admit, I wasn't sure which way Michael would go. I thought for a moment he might decide to save himself leaving Eleanor to fend for herself. It wasn't until he started his little speech I knew what he was going to do, and I started bawling like a baby! Seriously, I burst out in tears. Granted it was a rough day yesterday, but still. I don't care how predictable or cliché that moment might have been, it was beautiful.

And I appreciate that the show doesn't zag just to zag. When they do the unexpected, it's because it makes sense for the story and characters. But when it doesn't make sense, they go with the zig we expect. But they do it wonderfully.

I hope someone from the show comes and reads how much we love and appreciate the work they put into making this show. It is clearly a labor of love for them, they put so much into it, into the smallest details, into the development of such rich characters. I just hope they know that we see it and we appreciate it.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 15

I think a small part of what is causing tears in that scene is the genuine feeling we get from Michael and Eleanor. Ted and Kristen are very good friends in real life, so I think that comes across in what we get onscreen. I was verklempt at their giant hug a couple of episodes ago.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Ted and Kristen are very good friends in real life, so I think that comes across in what we get onscreen.

More to the point, they're very good actors. I'm sure it wasn't meant that way, but to say that it works only because of their off-screen relationship seems to devalue the hard-won skills of acting.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

And I appreciate that the show doesn't zag just to zag. When they do the unexpected, it's because it makes sense for the story and characters. But when it doesn't make sense, they go with the zig we expect. But they do it wonderfully.

I like how you put that.  I detest when shows zag just to zag, and have bailed on more than one because of it.  This show zigs and zags just right!

• Love 5

Rules nerdery: Janet did have her object-summoning (creating?) powers while on the train to Bad Place headquarters. This suggests to me that even if she was mostly depowered while in the Medium Place, she could have walked back to the train station there, conjured up cocaine (and a car to get back), and then brought it back to Mindy's. Or maybe her other powers don't even work on the MP train station, but she has train-summoning powers even there, and she could have summoned a train to get back to some point where she has full powers.

• Love 2

But not having the right number of chips IS zagging just to zag. It just happens to have been a very predictable zag to zag. There was absolutely no logical reason why he would only have four. Except they need that shocking moment. It's why it was such a tiresome trope. Nobody is questioning Michael's sacrifice. It's the lazy way they chose to get to it. Compare it to Eleanor being willing to sacrifice herself in season 1 when Chidi murdered Janet. That moment was slowly built up perfectly. Not some random thing thrown in the episode to get from X to Z.

Or that Shawn obviously chose to go to Mindy's right that second. Or that they just happened to be unveiling their exhibit on that very day.

The show is usually better than this. But this was very poorly structured.

Edited by CherithCutestory
  • Love 2

As for the Judge, I'm guessing Andre Braugher or Dirk Blocker since they work with Schur on Brooklyn 99.  Although for completely left field picks: Maya Rudolph or Archie Panjabi.

• Love 6

I've been lurking here for a while, but never posted before now. Michael sacrificing himself for Eleanor's sake was just so awesome!! Second favorite scene of the episode was Jason rescuing everyone with his Molotov Cocktail. Jortles!! I can't believe we only have two more episodes to go this season! 

I second Julie Andrews as the Judge. 

• Love 3

I agree that some of situations were convenient to the plot advance of getting team cockroach to the judge portal. BUT how awesome is this show.??!? Love Jason’s demon special power... Molotov’s cocktails.. HA!

On a shallow note.. All of them looked amazing.

I am kind of sad about how close the season end is. 

As far as who the judge is... a lot of great choices have already been mentioned. I would like to see Betty White as the judge.  

I agree with the idea of next season probably being held in a type of middle place or a purgatory until they can prove that they are all Good Place worthy... 

I am going to watch the extended version online for my rewatch.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Ameliabedilia said:

I figure eventually they will make it to the judge, but maybe he's stalling for whatever reason...  

Unless..... the whole plot was a sham by Michael and they have been transported to yet another neighborhood of evil.  Maybe he's freelancing without Shawn's knowledge.

• Love 3

Where was the portal going? I missed something, and came back to see them in front of it, and jumping.

I like that Michael sacrificed himself for Eleanor, but I was thinking they could have jumped together. Unless he needed to close the door. My DVR cut off as he turned around, so I missed the end. I'm glad that wasn't it, though and that it's on again next week (I googled that).

1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

Unless..... the whole plot was a sham by Michael and they have been transported to yet another neighborhood of evil.  Maybe he's freelancing without Shawn's knowledge.

I hope not.  I think it would be a huge mistake to do that just for the twist.  They'd be ruining all that fabulous character development, and for me, I would no longer care to rewatch this series if they invalidate Michael's redemption arc and his bonding with Eleanor and the other humans.  IMO, those were the best parts this season.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, CherithCutestory said:

But not having the right number of chips IS zagging just to zag. It just happens to have been a very predictable zag to zag. There was absolutely no logical reason why he would only have four. Except they need that shocking moment. It's why it was such a tiresome trope. Nobody is questioning Michael's sacrifice. It's the lazy way they chose to get to it. Compare it to Eleanor being willing to sacrifice herself in season 1 when Chidi murdered Janet. That moment was slowly built up perfectly. Not some random thing thrown in the episode to get from X to Z.

Or that Shawn obviously chose to go to Mindy's right that second. Or that they just happened to be unveiling their exhibit on that very day.

The show is usually better than this. But this was very poorly structured.

I don’t know. I think it would be more of an amazing coincidence if there were the perfect number of badges on the perfect number of coats hanging by the door for Michael to grab as his first plan was shot to hell. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Anela said:

Where was the portal going? I missed something, and came back to see them in front of it, and jumping.

I like that Michael sacrificed himself for Eleanor, but I was thinking they could have jumped together. Unless he needed to close the door. My DVR cut off as he turned around, so I missed the end. I'm glad that wasn't it, though and that it's on again next week (I googled that).

It was to get them to the judge to plead their case(s). They couldn't jump together because they didn't have two badges, and the WhateverItWasWhyTheyNeededTheBadges would be able to perceive that there were two beings and one badge, so then...badness.

• Love 2

After watching this episode twice, one thing that struck me was the look on Michael's face when Elanor told him to be careful. And then his remark to her...the tone in his voice. It makes me wonder.....could they really be in the Good Place (or Medium Place) all along and they're being tested to see if they move forward in their moral character or redeem themselves from what supposedly sent them to the Bad Place?

While all we hear are descriptions of how awful the Bad Place is, we never truly see it....even when they're IN the actual Bad Place. Wouldn't the demons want to shed their human façades and be their natural forms if they were in the real Bad Place?  Perhaps Michael is seeking redemption because he wasn't able to progress and move forward earlier on in his afterlife? 

I can't wait to see where the show is going to take us next week. I'm so sad there are only a few episodes left this season :(

• Love 7

I just started getting in to this show back when it returned from break, and I've been liking it...and then this episode comes along and makes me wonder why I hadn't gotten into this show sooner. I haven't had this since Parks & Rec. I tuned in to that midway through season 3, and there were some good episodes...and then along came "The Fight" and that's when the show sunk its claws into me for life.

"I'm luggage!" was great, but the whole payoff "JORTLES!" was just so amazing, I need to catch up now.

My guesses for the Judge:

-Nick Offerman
-Megan Mullaly
-Retta
-Amy Poehler
-Jim O'Heir. Yeah, Jerry decides everyone's fate.
-Ben Shwartz/Jean-Ralphio.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

It was to get them to the judge to plead their case(s). They couldn't jump together because they didn't have two badges, and the WhateverItWasWhyTheyNeededTheBadges would be able to perceive that there were two beings and one badge, so then...badness.

Thank you. :)

I liked the part of the museum they were in. "First man to send a picture of his genitals, unasked" and "first person to say they need a vacation from their vacation". 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, CofCinci said:

I think the Judge is Mike Schur’s own father-in-law, Regis Philbin. 

OMG!! I did not know that. Judge Regis for the win!!!!!! 

Though someone up thread mentioned Eric Idle as long as he sings the philosophers song, that would be acceptable also.

On 1/19/2018 at 1:11 AM, Dowel Jones said:

"Just because I'm a straight up hottie doesn't mean I can't read philosophy."  Don't ever change, Eleanor.

Last week I was thinking that Dax Shepherd might get a cameo as the judge, but that's out.  Still in the wind.  Maybe it will be Schur himself.

There ia no reason Why the judge couldn’t be checking them out ‘in the wild’ but you are probably right. 

21 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I hope someone from the show comes and reads how much we love and appreciate the work they put into making this show. It is clearly a labor of love for them, they put so much into it, into the smallest details, into the development of such rich characters. I just hope they know that we see it and we appreciate it.

That's how it was in the early years of the Simpsons.

I agree with everything that's already beens said, and thought this was one of the best episodes of a show with all great episodes. Ditto on the hotness of everyone in their disguises, and Tahani's amazing American accent. Jortles!

Oh, Michael. You've come so far...poor Eleanor.

Someone earlier commented on Sean's "naughty bitch" going well with Andre Braugher's "common bitch" on B99. The fact that the actor playing Sean is Andre's husband on B99 completes the circle nicely.

I would say that I hope this show gets 1,000 seasons like The Simpsons, but it would make me as sad to see this show go that downhill as it does for the latter show.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

My guesses for the Judge:

-Nick Offerman
-Megan Mullaly
-Retta
-Amy Poehler
-Jim O'Heir. Yeah, Jerry decides everyone's fate.
-Ben Shwartz/Jean-Ralphio.

Megan Mullally please. :)

On 1/19/2018 at 9:41 AM, Lugal said:

And my favorite line of the episode: "Whenever I have a problem, I throw a molotov cocktail at it, and boom!  I have a different problem."

Me too and so very true. 

This was straight up fabulous. I was expecting it to slow down now that the left the faux good place but it was great.  I think Michael and Elenor are soulmates.  Can't wait to see what happens. 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, Paloma said:

Even worse, we gave up cable at the end of 2017 so we can't DVR it or see it On Demand when we get back, so we'll have to watch it on a computer screen at a desk instead of on TV from the comfort of our sofa (assuming it is still available at the NBC website). 

It depends on the airline you're flying on. On Virgin Atlantic from Seattle to London, one of the options was Season 1 on The Good Place. I watched all of them, back to back, again - just because I could - and I wanted to. 

• Love 2

I love this show.  I watched S1 of it, but I they really had me at Elinor's epiphany and "Holy Mother Forking Shirtballs".

And I've loved every minute of S2.

But I'm afraid that Michael's next line, right after "Hey Boss, What's up?" will be "It worked".

(But even if it is? Michael and Elinor are still sole mates waiting to be revealed.  I think)

I only got the chance to watch this episode today. Oh man, I loved every minute of it. 

I couldn't help but laugh at the poster of Pirates of the Caribbean 6 in the train station.

I thoroughly enjoyed Dax Shepard's character. I also laughed at his little moment with his wife. 

So many excellent lines, but what might be my favourite? "I'm a naughty bitch" being uttered by Shawn. Marc Evan Jackson delivered that line perfectly and made me crack up.

I also really loved the replicas of the four in the museum, especially Jason. 

I highly doubt Michael is actually gone. We'll see him again, but the question I have is what will become of him once the gang finds him. Will it secure him a place in The Good Place? 

12 minutes ago, BobH said:

Just rewatched it, missed that Chet worked with Trent in "Parts and Decapitations".

And Chidi giving that guy a ball tap was great.

I thought it was "partial decapitations." Which is... disturbing and hilarious.

22 hours ago, morakot said:

It depends on the airline you're flying on. On Virgin Atlantic from Seattle to London, one of the options was Season 1 on The Good Place. I watched all of them, back to back, again - just because I could - and I wanted to. 

I just started watching this show last month, when it was one of the few options on an Air Canada flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong. Was immediately hooked.

I gave up cable years ago...Roku and a Hulu subscription are where it's at.

Amazing how the demon version of Dax Sheppard wasn't really any different from the sleazebag dude he played who hit on Kristen Bell at the class reunion in the Veronica Mars movie. Torture Demons: they're just like That Guy.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:21 PM, Mockingbird said:

I don’t know. I think it would be more of an amazing coincidence if there were the perfect number of badges on the perfect number of coats hanging by the door for Michael to grab as his first plan was shot to hell. 

It is the bad place.  Never the perfect amount of anything.

9 hours ago, Court said:

Y'all. I was legitimately sad today when Jortles and the Jaguars lost. Poor Jason.

I know.  I never cared for sports but this loss legitimately made me sad.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:57 PM, AnnaRose said:

I hope not.  I think it would be a huge mistake to do that just for the twist.  They'd be ruining all that fabulous character development, and for me, I would no longer care to rewatch this series if they invalidate Michael's redemption arc and his bonding with Eleanor and the other humans.  IMO, those were the best parts this season.

At this point Michael being still evil would be the kind of plot twist that would set the show back an entire season and only be used if the show wanted another three seasons.   That doesn’t mean that Michael won’t end up being tortured himself but that might just further his redemption and now he is the one who needs to be rescued by a bunch of people whose first instinct isn’t self sacrifice.

14 hours ago, Enginerd said:

Amazing how the demon version of Dax Sheppard wasn't really any different from the sleazebag dude he played who hit on Kristen Bell at the class reunion in the Veronica Mars movie. Torture Demons: they're just like That Guy.

I haven’t seen him do anything else but my impression is that Chips was kind of like that. Does he have another shtick? 

yeah perfect for hell, though. 

Edited by Affogato
Stupid phone and/or thumbs.
On 1/19/2018 at 2:07 PM, BabyVegas said:

Judge Judy as The Judge would be hilarious, but Mary Steenburgen would be a fun way to keep getting cast members' spouses to guest.

Ugh, no to Judge Judy. She's an obnoxious, abrasive personality. I don't want her stinking up one of my favorite shows.

However, I love Mary Steenburgen.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Affogato said:

I haven’t seen him do anything else but my impression is that Chips was kind of like that. Does he have another shtick? 

He starred in Parenthood as the little brother who screwed up a lot, but eventually settled down to be married with children and own a business.  

One of the things I loved about this episode was that Chidi never actually lied!   He told the other demons that he was assigned to torture this hot chick (which he was  -- that was the whole premise of the neighborhood) and that he did it by making her read philosophy books.  Totally managed to get through this situation without compromising that particular aspect of his principles.  Genius! 

• Love 4

After watching this episode twice, one thing that struck me was the look on Michael's face when Elanor told him to be careful. And then his remark to her...the tone in his voice. It makes me wonder.....could they really be in the Good Place (or Medium Place) all along and they're being tested to see if they move forward in their moral character or redeem themselves from what supposedly sent them to the Bad Place?

While all we hear are descriptions of how awful the Bad Place is, we never truly see it....even when they're IN the actual Bad Place. Wouldn't the demons want to shed their human façades and be their natural forms if they were in the real Bad Place?  Perhaps Michael is seeking redemption because he wasn't able to progress and move forward earlier on in his afterlife? 

I suppose it could be another long con and they are all actually in purgatory. It would certainly help to explain why we rarely see a demon in demon form, although it's equally possible it's just a budgetary issue. The whole concept of their being able to improve themselves enough to get into the Good Place sort of defies the traditional belief that what you've done on earth decides where you go after you die - there's no contingency for improvement after death and moving upwards or downwards. That's kind of the whole point of heaven and hell. 

I think the twist at the end of Season 1 was an opportunity for a reset and they might have something similar planned for this season, if they're not planning to end the whole show outright.

6 hours ago, CinAZ said:

I just watched the NBC Online version... no extended cuts version?? Are there no extra scenes this episode?

It doesn't look like it. There wasn't one the past two weeks either. The last episode with an extended version was "Derek."