Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Rhonda, Diana, Jake, And Trent

18 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:
On 1/22/2018 at 10:33 AM, CinAZ said:

I just watched the NBC Online version... no extended cuts version?? Are there no extra scenes this episode?

It doesn't look like it. There wasn't one the past two weeks either. The last episode with an extended version was "Derek."

"Best Self" definitely had extra scenes.  I might have watched it on Hulu.  Does anyone else remember where they saw the extra scenes?  (It was discussed in the episode thread.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse

Now that you mention it, that does sound familiar (as do some of the bits mentioned in the Best Self thread). But NBC doesn't have it listed as an extended cut, like it does Dance Dance Resolution through Derek, and I don't have Hulu, so there's nowhere else I could have seen it. Weird.

On 1/18/2018 at 8:14 PM, Pamela said:

"Soul food from Maine, bagels from Arkansas, and of course, Hawaiian pizza."

That got a huge laugh from me because a few co-workers and I spent part of today's lunch hour debating the merits (and horrors) of Hawaiian pizza. For the record, it was two in favour and two VEHEMENTLY against. (I was one of the latter. Fruit on pizza definitely belongs on the menu in the Bad Place.)

The most repugnant part of Hawaiian pizza is the Canadian bacon. Sorry, Canada. I love your Mounties, but I hate your bacon.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Zanne said:

The most repugnant part of Hawaiian pizza is the Canadian bacon. Sorry, Canada. I love your Mounties, but I hate your bacon.

Totally off-topic - I hate bacon too, but I've never had a Hawaiian pizza with bacon on it. Always just regular ham.

I must be one of very few people in the world who actually enjoy Hawaiian pizza. I would never order it myself because there are always things I like better, but at large events with many types of pizza I will often take a slice of Hawaiian. There are certainly worse pizzas, in my book!

11 hours ago, secnarf said:

Totally off-topic - I hate bacon too, but I've never had a Hawaiian pizza with bacon on it. Always just regular ham.

I must be one of very few people in the world who actually enjoy Hawaiian pizza. I would never order it myself because there are always things I like better, but at large events with many types of pizza I will often take a slice of Hawaiian. There are certainly worse pizzas, in my book!

I don't mind Hawaiian pizza either. I also would never order it myself but I think it's fine. The hot fruit taboo is super weird. Most fruit is great warm. Some is better warm. Fried bananas > bananas. Blueberries are great but also great in oatmeal or a nice hot pie. That humanity alone among animals decided to cook our food but this whole category is off limits for it is silly.

Wait a minute... I'm the bad place.

Edited by CherithCutestory
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, secnarf said:

I love Hawaiian pizza. In fact, I like to get it with DOUBLE pineapple. But I hate a lot of the things most people apparently love such as coffee, beer, and seafood. I hope my opposite taste bud wiring will serve me well in the bad place. Do your worst, demons! No, not Brussels sprouts! (Yum...)

1 hour ago, CherithCutestory said:

The hot fruit taboo is super weird.

But apple pie is one of the greatest gifts known to man!

28 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

I hope my opposite taste bud wiring will serve me well in the bad place. Do your worst, demons! No, not Brussels sprouts! (Yum...)

Haha, you've figured out how to beat the system! Good on you mate!

Me, I don't mind spiders at all, but butthole spiders....I think I'm gonna try the stretching room instead thanks. Maybe get turned into a hotdog? I'll get stuffed with hotdogs, but only if Tahani is in charge. I don't think I'd like Michael's idea of stuffing very much lol

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Enginerd said:

I love Hawaiian pizza. In fact, I like to get it with DOUBLE pineapple. But I hate a lot of the things most people apparently love such as coffee, beer, and seafood. I hope my opposite taste bud wiring will serve me well in the bad place. Do your worst, demons! No, not Brussels sprouts! (Yum...)

You may be my food twin!

On 1/18/2018 at 10:29 PM, Paloma said:

This is how much I love this show: My husband and I are leaving this weekend to go to Israel for a month, to visit our precious 15-month-old granddaughter (and her parents), whom we only get to see a couple of times a year. But all I'm thinking about now is that I am going to miss the remaining episodes of The Good Place and have to wait until late February to catch up (too late to discuss with all of you). Even worse, we gave up cable at the end of 2017 so we can't DVR it or see it On Demand when we get back, so we'll have to watch it on a computer screen at a desk instead of on TV from the comfort of our sofa (assuming it is still available at the NBC website). 

Paloma, I watch it on Hulu. Maybe it's not available overseas though?

wait, this just occurred to me: Why couldnt Michael have held Eleanor in his arms and jumped through the portal? He was wearing a pin, maybe the portal wouldnt realize there's another person there?

On 1/18/2018 at 9:37 PM, Paloma said:

That's what I'm thinking/hoping--that he can't be punished in Hell for letting his friends escape, because that act of selflessness should qualify him for Heaven (or at least for a hearing by the judge).

Well since the judge doesn’t see many cases, and the team had to go to him to try and get him to hear their case, I don’t think that the judge will just all of a sudden recognize that Micheal did something good and save him. 

But Janice still hasn’t been discovered (somehow). So I think that we will get some great Janice and Micheal senes coming up, where she’s trying to save him.  

I’m not sure why, but Janet’s “I’m luggage!” was both funny and sad to me when heard in light of “Not a girl” and “Not a robot.” She’s very clear on what she is and isn’t, and it was kind of heartbreaking to me that she would claim “luggage” as an identity. Of all the things she could be that aren’t girls or robots.

1 hour ago, bethy said:

I’m not sure why, but Janet’s “I’m luggage!” was both funny and sad to me when heard in light of “Not a girl” and “Not a robot.” She’s very clear on what she is and isn’t, and it was kind of heartbreaking to me that she would claim “luggage” as an identity. Of all the things she could be that aren’t girls or robots.

At least she didn't say she's baggage! That would be a whole other level of insinuation!

On 1/18/2018 at 9:03 PM, CofCinci said:

I gasped when he pushed her into the portal, even though we knew it was coming. Is this the end for Ted Danson?

I suspect there's a plot reason why Janet was written still being on the loose.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2018 at 0:17 AM, jbrecken said:

I think the judge should be that one guy who was mentioned in Episode 1.1 that had figured out the rules for the afterlife.

Doug Forcett, the stoner kid from Calgary who got 92% correct on October 14, 1972 while on mushrooms. Given that he made that revelation while high, I am not sure that qualifies him to be the best arbiter between the "Good" or "Bad" (or "Medium") places. 

• Love 2

JORTLES! I can't deny the truth of Jason's logic - throwing a Malatov cocktail creates a whole new problem! I loved how easily Jason fit in with all the Bad Place jags.

Good Janet trying to be bad was adorable. I can't lie - I wanted to see what else they had in the museum because the few things we saw were hilariously awful.

I loved Eleanor's entire Bad Place look from head to toe!

On 1/23/2018 at 6:42 AM, CherithCutestory said:

I don't mind Hawaiian pizza either. I also would never order it myself but I think it's fine. The hot fruit taboo is super weird. Most fruit is great warm. Some is better warm. Fried bananas > bananas. Blueberries are great but also great in oatmeal or a nice hot pie. That humanity alone among animals decided to cook our food but this whole category is off limits for it is silly.

Wait a minute... I'm the bad place.

I don't mind cold or room temperature fruit, but some fruit is great hot! I love fruit pies and grilled fruit. Grilled peaches, grilled pineapple, apple pie, all delicious! No surprise then that I like pineapple on pizza, but I get it with regular bacon (not Canadian bacon) and sausage. YUM. I have no shame. I'll order it - no regrets. I like the sweet contrast of the pineapple with the saltiness of the meat. Then again, I've always liked the salty/sweet combination. When I was a little kid, on the rare occasion that my mom would let me go to McDonald's, I always dipped my hot salty french fries into my cold sweet soft serve ice cream.

On 1/23/2018 at 7:41 AM, Enginerd said:

I'm with you. I don't like beer or coffee but I love broccoli. And yes, I've even had broccoli on pizza (see: Inside Out), but hey, I live in Berkeley so that's to be expected.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Doug Forcett, the stoner kid from Calgary who got 92% correct on October 14, 1972 while on mushrooms. Given that he made that revelation while high, I am not sure that qualifies him to be the best arbiter between the "Good" or "Bad" (or "Medium") places. 

Still it would be a funny callback to the first episode.

• Love 1
On 1/18/2018 at 11:14 PM, Pamela said:

"Soul food from Maine, bagels from Arkansas, and of course, Hawaiian pizza."

That got a huge laugh from me because a few co-workers and I spent part of today's lunch hour debating the merits (and horrors) of Hawaiian pizza. For the record, it was two in favour and two VEHEMENTLY against. (I was one of the latter. Fruit on pizza definitely belongs on the menu in the Bad Place.)

I have always been very much against Hawaiian pizza. I like pineapple, but NOT on pizza. The other bad foods were pretty funny too.

Such a clever show! Each episode is a treasure. The Museum of Human Misery, Good Janet having to pretend to be Bad Janet, Jason and his Molotov cocktail, Michael figuring out how to solve the problem.

On a totally shallow note, Jason was looking fiiiiiiiiinnne in that suit and hat.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:23 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

What were the two torture room they mentioned checking or in passing, "Children's recitals" and "Weekend at ikea?"

Janet acting like bad Janet was the best

I laughed at the "holiday weekend at IKEA" which is one of my ideas of hell

• Love 1
On 1/23/2018 at 10:41 AM, Enginerd said:

I agree on the seafood and beer, which are both disgusting, but I can't get behind pineapple on pizza. Fruit does not belong on pizza! 

I also hate a lot of foods most people love, such as mushrooms, sushi, watermelon, and pumpkin pie.

17 hours ago, KaleyFirefly said:

I agree on the seafood and beer, which are both disgusting, but I can't get behind pineapple on pizza. Fruit does not belong on pizza! 

Ehem.

Tomatoes are a...

Never mind.

• Love 9

"Is that like stuffing vegans' faces with sausages?" Tahani
"Yes... Faces... right." Michael

Chidi is revealed to be a Kantian. That fits. And it also fits that Eleanor would be more into situational ethics.

"This is hell. Of course there's a Gift Shop!" Michael

"I took the form of a 45 year old man, so I can only fail upwards!" Shaun

"Whenever I have a problem, I throw a molotov cocktail at it, and boom!  I have a different problem." And it actually worked!

Only a 3 hour delay for the trains in hell? They need to learn from Virgin Trains!

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:15 AM, Ailianna said:

I don't think they did solve the trolley problem, because a trolley is on rails, and can't just be steered into a random course.  How would you stop the trolley by sacrificing yourself?

If you destroy the trolley (with you in it), that would prevent anyone else dying. Not actually an option within the scope of the scenario, but it is a reasonable elaboration of it.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:11 AM, Dowel Jones said:

"Just because I'm a straight up hottie doesn't mean I can't read philosophy."  Don't ever change, Eleanor.

But she is changing. That's pretty much the point of the series!

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, Mabinogia said:

I wasn't sure which way Michael would go. I thought for a moment he might decide to save himself leaving Eleanor to fend for herself.

He might have been tempted, but it would scupper any chance he had of getting into The (real) Good Place. Since evidently even the Neutral Place isn't safe, Michael is committed to becoming a better person (or demon).

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:30 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'd like to see a throwback and go with Patrick Stewart or John de Lancie as judge. 

I'd like that, but then I'm old (given your screen name, I guess a year older than you). I don't know how many of the young 'uns watching would get that.

LOL. I know it probably only slowed their pursuers down for a few minutes at the most but it was still hilarious that Jason's Molotov cocktails came back. 

I thought that would be the major callback and then they brought back the trolley problem. How dare they? It would have had a lot of emotional resonance if that moment didn't look like a cheap Syfy show to me.

I watched this again on Netflix, and this episode makes no sense.  How did the 4 get away with pretending to be demons?  For example, when Chidi was talking to that group as "Trent" they acted like they knew him, but they couldn't have since his identity was made up.

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I watched this again on Netflix, and this episode makes no sense.  How did the 4 get away with pretending to be demons?  For example, when Chidi was talking to that group as "Trent" they acted like they knew him, but they couldn't have since his identity was made up.

As I remember it, Dax Shepard's character mistook Chidi for Trent and then introduced him to the other demons that way. I think?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, bethy said:

As I remember it, Dax Shepard's character mistook Chidi for Trent and then introduced him to the other demons that way. I think?

That's where I got confused, I thought they all decided on their fake names before they ever met the demons.  Like why didn't one of them say "Who the hell is Rhonda Mumps?"

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

That's where I got confused, I thought they all decided on their fake names before they ever met the demons.  Like why didn't one of them say "Who the hell is Rhonda Mumps?"

There are probably thousands of demons all working in different departments it’s unlikely that everyone knows everybody. The fake good place alone used 318 demons. 

1 hour ago, bethy said:

Yes. Chidi never came up with a demon name.