Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Rhonda, Diana, Jake, And Trent

3 hours ago, DrScottie said:

That was magnificent. I can't wait for the extended cut

Extended cut?

i know it’s not true, but it always feels like they bring in Dax, when they can’t get Ryan Hansen. 

Also Rob Thomas please write an episode of Veronica Mars that takes place in the 40’s. 

I was freaked out and thought this was the season finale. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, twoods said:

I thought it was hilarious that the guy who is on death's door on How To Get Away With Murder (he isn't a good guy) was in hell as a torturer. Poor guy can't catch a break on being a nice character, but at least he's getting work.

He also has a role as a doctor on "The Good Doctor." He's not the lead, but he's a good guy and one of the main characters there.

I have nothing to add. I love everything.

• Love 3

I loved it so much I rewatched tonight. There were so many good little moments like Jason getting dressed on the train. The pocket square that later became the molotov wick, and Janet giving him and subsequently taking back the briefcase ("take my credit card to the hedge fund") 

Writing for The Good Place has to be so much fun. Anything that gets on your nerves that week can be written straight into you script, as a Bad Place minor annoyance. 

Tears of joy for Mindy and Derrick! 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I predict that Good Janet, pretending to be Bad Janet, will rise to the occasion and somehow rescue Michael.

This is the only thing keeping me from being totally bummed by how dire Michael's situation seems to be at the end. There had to be a reason the writers had Janet get left behind when the others escaped post-Molotov cocktail, especially since she was originally on the side the others escaped to when Shawn appeared, then when they turned around to run away, she ran left, all the way across to the other side away from the exit (while the others were running to the right, toward it) just before Jason threw it. It doesn't make much sense, unless her remaining serves a purpose.

Why yes, I have watched the episode 5 times now.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Things I'd never admit to anyone in real life: I actually burst into tears when Michael shoved her into the portal and she was screaming no with her arms outstretched before disappearing. Admittedly, it's been a rough week, but I may be overly invested in this show.

To Eleanor, Michael and Janet are the tall toothbrushes at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and she's the small pink one. She even said that the big toothbrushes would watch over the small ones and talk about feelings and make sure no harm comes to them. Her "father" just sacrificed himself to save her. 

How many plungers is she going to cry into now? 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:
3 hours ago, MarquisDeCarabas said:

Extended cut?

The version posted on NBC's website the next day is usually an extended cut that's a minute or so longer than the aired version.

I think Hulu has the extended cut, too.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, arc said:

At the end, when Jason entered the portal, did he yell "Bortles" or... "Portles"?

Jortles! His fake name was Jake Jortles, chosen after Eleanor told him he could not call himself Blake Bortles.

• Love 1

No, he definitely said “Jortles” when he threw the Molotov cocktail, but it was either a ‘b’ or ‘p’ sound on entering the portal. (Oh, the Vulture recapper heard it too.)

Hawaiian pizza is extra funny in that it’s first legitimately a bad food to go with Maine soul food and Arkansas bagels, but it is one of the few foods where the world at large agrees with Mike Schur that “hot fruit” is bad. (He is also opposed to fruit pies.)

Edited by arc
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure Jason said, "Portals!" when he went through. 

And I gotta say that while I've always thought Jason was a cutie in a dumb, sweet way, Jason in that suit, with the hat was straight-up hottie.

I really love Michael and Eleanor's relationship. Their exchange about her being worried about him and his telling her to look after the other three totally set up his sacrifice. I also love that not only has Eleanor developed ethically, she's also grown so much in her care for other people. She's the other big toothbrush in their little family.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Minneapple said:

JORTLES!

As if we needed another reason to cheer for the Jaguars against the Patriots on Sunday!

I never watch football except when it is on a television that is not mine but I might watch if Jaguars make it to the Super Bowl.  

I have a feeling that people still learning how to be good and a demon who did his first selfless act aren't yet ready to enter the actual Good Place. 

My prediction: the Judge will send the whole gang plus Micheal to the Medium Place to stay with Mindy St.Clair (and GoodJanet's ex, Derek)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, arc said:

At the end, when Jason entered the portal, did he yell "Bortles" or... "Portles"?

I heard Portles, and my closed captioning said Portles (or maybe it was portals) as well.

Question please!  My DVR cut out!  What happened right after Michael pushed Eleanor through the portal?  He turned around, the bad boss was there, and then...??

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Question please!  My DVR cut out!  What happened right after Michael pushed Eleanor through the portal?  He turned around, the bad boss was there, and then...??

Michael turns around and Shawn and a bunch of security guys are there. He says "Hey boss. What's up?" casual and unconcerned. Like a goddamn hero!

• Love 18

This show just keeps getting better and better.  The way they set everything up was genius.  And Michael sacrificing himself for the humans, that got me.  I suspect Janet might get him out, but since a few other people have thought that too it probably means the show will think of some other brilliant way of saving him.

8 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I loved it so much I rewatched tonight. There were so many good little moments like Jason getting dressed on the train. The pocket square that later became the molotov wick, and Janet giving him and subsequently taking back the briefcase ("take my credit card to the hedge fund")

That was awesome, followed by Janet's delivery: "You're going to get caught, give it back." And then the subtle way Manny showed Jason's disappointment.  Everyone really got to shine in this episode.  Jameela Jamil's American accent was spot on.  And she even namedrops in Hell.

And my favorite line of the episode: "Whenever I have a problem, I throw a molotov cocktail at it, and boom!  I have a different problem."

• Love 13

While still not quite as good as last week this week’s offering was still better than 90% of other things I watched. 

Best Moments

- Michael’s sacrifice at the end: Wonderfully acted by Kristen and Ted. I’ve loved the development of their bond this season and the scene really shows how much both have gone. 

- “then I remembered im a naughty bitch” 

- Jason gets to save the day! I love that everyone on this show gets their chance to shine <3

• Love 3
1 minute ago, PunkinChunkin said:

Oh this show! Every moment is a treasure. One of my favorites not mentioned yet was the movie poster in the Bad Place train station: "Pirates of the Carribbean 6! Showing Everywhere. FOREVER."

Oh my gosh, I didn’t even notice that - perfect!

• Love 4

I just realized the background music during the party is a jazzy version of "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer," continuing the theme from the rager in the end-of-neighborhood party a couple of episodes ago.

Add to that Tahani COMPLETELY owning the role of Rhonda ("Once you've dogged every hole, you're just repeating yourself.") and I just love this show.

Edited by jmonique
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, mammaM said:

I love this show so much!!!!!!! But the scene that had coffee come out of my nose was the audio at Mindy's house, you hear, "I'm Derek!" and the sound of wind chimes. I lost it

Yeah, I was laughing so hard at that whole scene I may have missed some of it. I'm going to need to re-watch this episode. A lot.

2nd favorite moment: Rhonda talking about shoving a hot dog down John Wayne's throat. This episode was just brilliant.

• Love 4

Anybody else notice when the train pulled into the depot there was a giant poster on the wall for Pirates of the Caribbean 6? LOL.

This was easily the best episode of the season, if not the whole series. To be honest I wasn't feeling last week's episode at all. It was a nice, quiet episode with just the core six characters, but I was a little bored with it. They pulled out all the stops on this one. Everyone else has already quoted all the great lines so I'll just say Bravo, Good Place. 

(If I were to nitpick, I'd point out that fire is unlikely to block or hinder a demon, but . . . whatever.)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Writing for The Good Place has to be so much fun. Anything that gets on your nerves that week can be written straight into you script, as a Bad Place minor annoyance. 

Tears of joy for Mindy and Derrick! 

Talk about Maximum Derek!

Gonna have to give an unpopular opinion here: I LOVE this show. LOVE love love it. And while the individual jokes, the delivery of said jokes, and omg the costuming!! were perfect, this was among my less favorite eps this season. Too many overdone tropes. "Hide in this room -- no one ever uses it!" of course telegraphs that the room is about to be put to use. That they would get to the portal and not have enough pins. That Michael would make an Ultimate Sacrifice to protect one of the humans. For a show with such fresh and original writing and plotlines, I was disappointed there were so many easily predictable scenarios in one episode.

Things I did love: Everyone looking like straight-up hotties in their disguises. Dax slyly hitting on his wife. "I'm luggage!" Molotov cocktail -- and how it creates a new problem. Every time Bad Janet says "Fat dink" with a heavy emphasis on the "d." Farts!

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Anybody else notice when the train pulled into the depot there was a giant poster on the wall for Pirates of the Caribbean 6? LOL.

Look at the previous half-dozen comments; there's a whole series about it, as it keeps revealing more detail.

• Love 2

Holy shirtballs. That was an amazing episode. Y'all have already described the best moments (practically every second), but I'm also loving the continuity. Other shows could have an episode dealing with the Trolley Problem and that would be it. Never referenced again. This show has spoken about it in at least two other episodes.

In terms of how well-crafted this episode was, it reminds me of "Racial Sensitivity" from Better Off Ted. That  was the funniest episode of any show in the aughts. I think this is the funniest one for the 2010s.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

I think the judge will have to be someone with an equal measure of awesomeness and gravitas-- which is why I'm picturing either JK Simmons or Sam Elliott.

They would be great but my mind was taking me in the opposite direction. My mind is picturing Julie Andrews or Carol Burnett and my out of left field guess is Dolly Parton 

• Love 6

Judge Judy as The Judge would be hilarious, but Mary Steenburgen would be a fun way to keep getting cast members' spouses to guest. Or The Judge could be some weird half and half Bad Janet-Good Janet hybrid. Like a redhead Janet or something.

Also I watched Will and Grace on my DVR before this because I wanted to save TGP for last, like a little dessert, and I saw Michael sacrificing himself so I was sad-laughing through the entire episode and then I was sad AGAIN even though I knew it was coming. How is this show so good at making me like a literal demon?!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Rachel81 said:

Talk about Maximum Derek!

Gonna have to give an unpopular opinion here: I LOVE this show. LOVE love love it. And while the individual jokes, the delivery of said jokes, and omg the costuming!! were perfect, this was among my less favorite eps this season. Too many overdone tropes. "Hide in this room -- no one ever uses it!" of course telegraphs that the room is about to be put to use. That they would get to the portal and not have enough pins. That Michael would make an Ultimate Sacrifice to protect one of the humans. For a show with such fresh and original writing and plotlines, I was disappointed there were so many easily predictable scenarios in one episode.

Things I did love: Everyone looking like straight-up hotties in their disguises. Dax slyly hitting on his wife. "I'm luggage!" Molotov cocktail -- and how it creates a new problem. Every time Bad Janet says "Fat dink" with a heavy emphasis on the "d." Farts!

Definitely agree. Lot of good laughs and a bad Good Place episode is better than the best of most. But I would say this was straight-up a bad Good Place episode. All of the trope stuff you mention, which most of the time they subvert rather than adhere to strictly. It was just predictable.

And sloppy stuff that seems beneath them. They've been in the afterlife for hundreds of years. Why isn't Joe Francis there yet? We've seen Chidi lie and deceive people before even in this reboot. He was deceiving Vicky on a couple of levels. But now he is just incapable of it? That Michael's solution wasn't an answer to the Trolley Problem, at all. The things they had the four say in their exhibit was all really obvious. Small stuff but the show is usually sharper. And combined with the fact that the overall structure of the episode was trope heavy and predictable it's just not a great episode, imo.

(He is also opposed to fruit pies.)

I no longer have any respect for Mike Schur as a writer or man.

Edited by CherithCutestory
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Affogato said:

They are trying to be good people. What matters if you gain the world and lose your soul?

But how to be good is an objective truth in this universe. There is a certain way to do it - any other way is wrong.

Julie Andrews for the judge! That would be 250 levels of awesome. But really just about everyone listed so far would be great.

I actually thought all the more "predictable" bits were UNpredictable, because this show has been so good at subverting how I expect things to go, that I now expect things to NOT go the way I expect them to go (If that made any sense). So them taking some more tropes was unexpected for me.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, DrScottie said:

To quote that dippy song by America: "Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't, didn't already have " In Jason's case, it's the Scarecrow, but Tahani (the Tin Woman in this case) is growing a heart as well. 

love this!  I just wish the rest of the lyrics were as profound.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Jack Kerouac said:

But how to be good is an objective truth in this universe. There is a certain way to do it - any other way is wrong.

Yes but the show doesn't agree with the premise the universe is built on. The underlying premise of the show is the universe is wrong. Medium people don't deserve to go to hell. Almost anyone, even an evil demon, is capable of redemption. If even God, Himself or Herself or Itself, says different he, she, or it is wrong.

Chidi doesn't want to just follow the rules to get what he wants. He isn't opportunistic in that way. He wants to be a genuinely moral human being. And there is an inherent conflict with the moral structure of the universe and genuine morality. Eleanor and everyone else is learning morality from him. So, it has made them better people but not necessarily in the formula that gets you into the Good Place under the existing system.

ETA: I should say the universe is wrong or the whole premise is actually very different from what Michael understands it to be. But the universal scheme as it has been presented to us is definitely not endorsed as moral in the show.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, CherithCutestory said:

Yes but the show doesn't agree with the premise the universe is built on. The underlying premise of the show is the universe is wrong. Medium people don't deserve to go to hell. Almost anyone, even an evil demon, is capable of redemption.

Chidi doesn't want to just follow the rules to get what he wants. He wants to be a genuinely moral human being. And there is an inherent conflict with the moral structure of the universe and genuine morality.

But Chidis Sin is not his Moral Compass its his incapability to make a decission.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Andrew Wiggin said:

But Chidis Sin is not his Moral Compass its his incapability to make a decission.

I'm sorry, I didn't quote deep enough. The thread I was responding to was about why they weren't just doing what they know to be "right" in this universe. Like why wouldn't Chidi just help the demons torture bad people when torturing bad people is morally correct in the universe scheme and he knows it. Not why he originally got sent to the Bad Place.

• Love 1