Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Episode 1

• Start Topic

A new midwife joins the team as the area is rocked by power cuts and blizzards. The new arrival is delayed by the weather and falls ill as soon as she arrives. However, she is quickly dragged from her sick bed to assist with a difficult birth. Nurse Crane and Dr Turner treat an elderly cancer patient who faces losing her house due to slum clearances, and try to convince Sergeant Woolf to allow her to die at home.

Reggie's "I'm scared"to Violet just before he left with Fred and Sister Winifred (the latter driving) had me LOLing.  Poor Reggie! And I love seeing Vi concerned about him and his safety.  They are quite the adorable little family!

It was nice to see the sergeant's softer side after a talking-to by Phyllis.  I really enjoyed him wanting to know when Ruth passed because he could ease some of the logistics for her husband.  And Phyllis sharing the strudel!  Very nice touch, though I cried when the husband told Phyllis it was the last thing he made in his kitchen. :(  But that was nothing compared to the buckets when he said goodbye to his wife. 

Him:  "If I never told you…" 

Me: *Dawson Leary cry face*

Lucille is already fitting in nicely, despite her tough journey to Nonnatus House.  I liked that the other midwives discussed some of the difficulty and racism she may face and that Phyllis was the first to say she'd stop it in its tracks.  Ugh, bladder infection…that had to be super rough.  I did appreciate her hopping up when it was clearly "all hands to the pump".  She did wonderfully helping Trixie with the breech birth and seemed more confident than Chummy or Jenny when they first began.

So glad the stripper kept her daughter and wants to buy Valerie's aunt's dance studio.  And that she stood up for herself and got the money owed her from the manager.  I didn't hear the name of the guy who owned the establishment…maybe a mobster?  

Yay for Sister Winifred getting her license!  Everyone else on the road may want to look out as long as the snow sticks around!

Is Sister Monica Joan going blind or does she just need glasses?  I'm hoping for the latter, because if it's the former, she may not be able to stay at Nonnatus House.

Another AA meeting with Trixie, interesting that she likened it to being in a cage.  And I loved that the stripper gave her the courage to go with Christopher on vacation, but also feeling hesitant because, despite her teasing her friends, she's "not that kind of girl" nor has she ever been.  I always thought that was the case and I'm glad to have my instinct confirmed.

• Love 7

So glad the show is back. And we got a life-sign from Patsy and Delia!

I loved Nurse Crane in this episode - so gentle and steady in dealing with such a terrible situation. And when she returned you could really see the toll her duties had taken on her and how grateful she was for the little acts of kindness from her new room mate, that was a great job by Linda Bassett.

Trixie was great with little Alexandra (and I loved her snow-lady building outfit). Too bad the moment got ruined by the mother's 'tart' comment. 

Sister Monica Joan's face really lit up when she met someone who also loves Keats. Too bad Lucille ruined the moment by bringing up the Dewey system LOL! 

• Love 5

It was difficult watching Sister Monica Joan be given a task that she clearly knew she was going to struggle with. It must be hard for Sister Julienne to balance giving her tasks that occupy her and keep her involved but that aren't too much for her. 

I wasn't surprised to hear that Trixie hadn't been "that type of girl" given that she often sees the consequences for those girls. Things seemed to work out for the unwed mother in this episode but I'm guessing if Trixie found herself pregnant out of wedlock she would lose her job. Was there a morality clause for midwives? I remember in an earlier season there was a teacher who lost her job when she became pregnant out of wedlock. I hope nothing like that happens to Trixie.

Edited by snowwhyte
  • Love 6

There probably is a morality clause.  I don't know is anyone remembers, but in the first season there was a big deal just about the fact that Trixie had alcohol in the room.  They had to hide it, they weren't supposed to be drinking there.  I know some time ago, not on here.  I read a thing that listed all the things that a Nurse could lose their jobs or license over in the 50's during WWII....and I can't imagine they laxed on that in the early 60's, late 60's maybe.  Some things included public intoxication,  improper behavior with a man not their husband,  swearing..... generally any behavior that would fall under the military term 'conduct unbecoming'  

That teacher didn't just loose her job, but her lodgings too.  I don't think Sister Julienne would want to fire her, I mean Im sure that everyone suspects what will happen when Trixie goes away with Christopher, but is she got pregnant I think that Sister Juliene may be forced to fire her is she doesn't marry Christopher whether she wants to or not.   However since it sounds like Trixie's arc is about her struggle with either wanting to, or actuating slipping back to, drinking.  I don't think they are using her real pregnancy in the show.

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Love 1

Yeah, I think Trixie's arc will be about her addiction resurfacing. She looked calm and poised during that birth but in the phone booth you could see that the situation had really taken its toll on her. Helen George played that beautifully. 

• Love 1

I want to rewatch this episode, but two things really stuck out to me.

1) I love Lucille Anderson and I will protect her with everything I have

2) this is a shallow, aesthetic-y note, but I've been jamming to the song playing when Trixie turns on the radio/the Turners are in the car, He's So Fine by the Chiffons, nonstop. The soundtrack to this show has always been great, and I'm hoping it continues to be so 

• Love 11
17 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

I really hope Trixie doesn't start drinking again. Things seem to be going well for her and I don't want her to lose the progress she's made.

I suspect that if she starts drinking, the ex-wife will be the thing that ends up being the final nail.......sounds like there is gonna be a lot of issues with the baby mama.   I hope that if she does its an accident.  Maybe the ex-wife tricks her into drinking......I really dont want to see her willfully picking up a bottle.

• Love 1

Aww, welcome back, show. I missed you and all the cry-fests your episodes trigger.

Loving the new midwife Lucille and even though I am sure there will be a story or three about racism she will encounter, that's just what would have happened in Britain in the 1960s so they have to show it.

Now that the new copper has shown he has a human side I feel more able to get on board with any romance stories they have in mind for he and Phyllis. Speaking of Phyllis, the actress playing her did a superb job this episode. She had just the right mixture of warmth, empathy and practicality.

I also think (sadly) that Trixie will be revisiting their addiction, and I think something is going to happen re Sheila hiring the au pair, but not sure what yet.

Edited by katisha
  • Love 2

I’m so glad this show is back and I haven’t cried twice in one episode in a long time. I’m surprised in 1963 women still gave birth at home in England.

I like the new midwife Lucille. She’s most likely going to run into some racism which will be sad to watch. 

I hope everything goes well for Trixie, she deserves some happiness. I have a bad feeling about this au pair Sheilagh is going to hire. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

Wow, we didn't get that bit in the States tonight.

Thank you for that confirmation.  I thought I was losing my mind or had seriously missed something.  No references to AA in the U.S.

Lucille is awesome.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I’m so glad this show is back and I haven’t cried twice in one episode in a long time. I’m surprised in 1963 women still gave birth at home in England.

I like the new midwife Lucille. She’s most likely going to run into some racism which will be sad to watch. 

I hope everything goes well for Trixie, she deserves some happiness. I have a bad feeling about this au pair Sheilagh is going to hire. 

In 2018,  one in 40 births are still at home.  They have well trained midwives there so it isn't a risk. There would probably more but there is a midwife shortage

• Love 3

In addition to the AA scene, I think we also missed the first lunch scene with the nurses (from the recap) where they finally finished the muligatawny soup and were having pea soup.  Or I was distracted and totally missed that scene.

• Love 4

(Post snuck in) In response to @LillyB, there are also midwives who are NOT well-trained out there delivering babies. I wouldn't trust a CPM with my pregnancy, opting instead for the much more educated CNM. Yet CPMs are allowed to attend homebirths in some states without even a further state exam. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

British midwives must take a three year college course unless they are nurses, then it is an 18 month program. I don't think Jill Duggar and her ilk would be allowed to deliver babies there.

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, GaT said:

Did anybody else have trouble understanding what people were saying? The sound wasn't very clear to me, people sounded too whispery.

I sometimes have trouble with the accents and the differences in the language between ‘British’ and ‘American’ English so I always watch with the closed captioning on.  The show is so well written and the stories so layered, I don’t want to miss anything.

i just wish they wouldn’t edit the show here in the US.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, LillyB said:

British midwives must take a three year college course unless they are nurses, then it is an 18 month program. I don't think Jill Duggar and her ilk would be allowed to deliver babies there.

Actually, during the second episode, in defense of Lucille's situation with Marjory, it was disclosed that British midwives had FOUR years of training on top of exams before going into the field. 

And yes, I was thinking of Jill Duggar (CPM, barely) botching homebirth after homebith, her own included. 

• Love 3
On 1/29/2018 at 4:27 AM, katisha said:

Aww, welcome back, show. I missed you and all the cry-fests your episodes trigger.

Loving the new midwife Lucille and even though I am sure there will be a story or three about racism she will encounter, that's just what would have happened in Britain in the 1960s so they have to show it.

Now that the new copper has shown he has a human side I feel more able to get on board with any romance stories they have in mind for he and Phyllis. Speaking of Phyllis, the actress playing her did a superb job this episode. She had just the right mixture of warmth, empathy and practicality.

I also think (sadly) that Trixie will be revisiting their addiction, and I think something is going to happen re Sheila hiring the au pair, but not sure what yet.

I hope not! 

9 hours ago, GaT said:

Did anybody else have trouble understanding what people were saying? The sound wasn't very clear to me, people sounded too whispery.

For the first time, I did, but I do watch with captions and that helped. 

There were some moments that made me smile. Dr Turner telling Shelagh about the good conversation he had with the au pair and how much he enjoyed her coffee as opposed to what he usually gets. The look on her face. The actress can say more with a look than with words.  I don't think Dr. Turner will stray, I just think it is going to eat Shelagh up having this woman around. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't think Dr. Turner will stray, I just think it is going to eat Shelagh up having this woman around. 

I don't think she'll be around long.  Shelagh will get rid of her for the good of the family.  She reminds me of that movie, "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle."  

• Love 2

I think the show has confused 1963 with 1968 in so far as hair, make-up, hem length, and encouraging men to be present during the birth. Actually I had my baby in 1968 and my husband was down the hall smoking with the other men the entire time.  I was a senior in high schools in 1963 and we had our hair in tidy little flips, nobody's hair was below the shoulders and black eyeliner all around the eye was still waiting for Cher to come along and make it popular.

I just really liked the 1950's setting and wish we didn't have to progress so fast.

10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Am I the only one who thought that a former stripper might face difficulties opening a dance studio for little girls? We know how gossipy Poplar is!

Yes, I thought that was very far fetched. That's the trouble, for me anyway,  with Heidi Thomas's writing.  I think she tries too hard to fit things into today's mentality.  Another thing that brought me up short was Trixie whispering about being a virgin as though that was something shocking and slightly shameful.  Even now, I don't think of that as something she needed to overcome.  If she wants to wait for marriage why shouldn't she?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I don't think she'll be around long.  Shelagh will get rid of her for the good of the family.  She reminds me of that movie, "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle."  

She was in the preview for epi 3. 

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

"I am a huge supporter of people dying with dignity, but can we agree that Mrs. G needs to come on?"

God forbid the woman wanting to die in her own bed.

Who said that? The policeman?

I don't recall it being said... But I don't deny that I was thinking it.

I know, I know, I am heartless but.... I've been the daughter to two older people doing the toddler footstamp of denial to the reality of a situation, and its intensely frustrating to see it played out with nary a sympathetic nod towards all the evil bastards who actually weren't doing anything morally wrong in attempting to do their work. 

The couple got notifications - whether I agree with forced sales or not is a different question - but this didn't magically sneak up on them. The daughter clearly invited them previously to live in her nice home. These people weren't being turned out with no notice, they were well aware of it and just didn't want to accept it.

God forbid people actually be angry with them for holding up everyone's work because they just didn't want to accept reality to the very bitter end.

Not trying to be an ass, the husband confessing his love was genuinely touching, but no one had dementia here, they just didn't want to accept the situation and dug their heels in. I accept that having to deal with this in real life colors my opinion

• Love 8

The couple got notifications - whether I agree with forced sales or not is a different question - but this didn't magically sneak up on them. The daughter clearly invited them previously to live in her nice home. These people weren't being turned out with no notice, they were well aware of it and just didn't want to accept it.

I was deeply touched by the storyline, complete with the tears, but I also kept thinking: "Their street is being torn down around them, and it doesn't appear a box has even been packed."  Are the husband and daughter just going to have to do a rush packing job while simultaneously having the funeral?  It's absurd it got to that point. 

I thought the stripper's storyline was resolved way too easily and happily. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 5

I thought the stripper's storyline was ridiculous. I get where they were going with it but how exactly did the stripper have the money to buy out the dance school?

I *was* touched by the elderly couple's storyline, I don't deny that at all but.... the couple's denial and magical thinking hits way too close to home. All I could think was that I bet that daughter caught nothing but flack from everyone for not forcing her mentally competent parents to face facts, and also from her brother for not tending to them, and from her parents for daring to be the voice of reason against their plan to do nothing and get their way. Been there, done that. 

Plus, honestly, there's no way they wouldn't have been rousted out of that house long before the wrecking ball. The actual source material for the show, the Call the Midwife books, bear that out.

• Love 7

I thought the stripper's storyline was ridiculous. I get where they were going with it but how exactly did the stripper have the money to buy out the dance school?

She sold her mink coat.  I guess the school only cost a few thousand?

Plus, honestly, there's no way they wouldn't have been rousted out of that house long before the wrecking ball. The actual source material for the show, the Call the Midwife books, bear that out.

Yeah, I was thinking it would have been pretty unsafe to have them still living in that house while major demolition was going on about twenty feet from their front door. 

• Love 3
On 3/26/2018 at 8:30 AM, JudyObscure said:

Another thing that brought me up short was Trixie whispering about being a virgin as though that was something shocking and slightly shameful.

That's not the way I read her talking to Valerie, myself. I thought it was more that Christopher's intentions were on her mind, and she felt like confiding but was a bit abashed about discussing it outright, not that she felt any shame about it. 

Edited by caitmcg
  • Love 6
On 1/29/2018 at 2:27 AM, katisha said:

I watch when I exercise, and this morning I thought "oh, the shows on my list are pretty dark, I think I'll go with Call the Midwife"  a quarter of the way in, I'm "oh...right..."

23 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Wow, we didn't get that bit in the States tonight.

I stopped reading the forum when I read that bit, because I figured I'd have to watch both shows first, since I hadn't seen that yet. I forgot that bits get cut out.

22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Am I the only one who thought that a former stripper might face difficulties opening a dance studio for little girls? We know how gossipy Poplar is!

Nope. But after thinking about it a bit, I think the strip joint (and her digs) were in a different part of London. I think she said she went home to have the baby.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
On 3/25/2018 at 9:45 PM, LittleIggy said:

Nope. But after thinking about it a bit, I think the strip joint (and her digs) were in a different part of London. I think she said she went home to have the baby.

What I think she was saying was that she came home to the East End (where she had attended the dancing school when she was a young girl) from somewhere else. She was living in Poplar again, and working at the strip joint after she returned for, as long as she could (i.e., until the manager canned her for being too pregnant, as we saw). I can fanwank it as her having tried to keep a low profile after she returned, but even if locals didn't know she'd been stripping, from what we've seen they'd probably not be thrilled with an unwed single mum, either.

Edited by caitmcg
  • Love 3

Was suppose to have your post quoted Judy Osborn   That was  my year of high school and one of my births too!   Husband was allowed in labor room ( not delivery ) but I sent him away down the hall because I didn't want him hearing me screaming. What? I did wear eyeliner in 63 and I remember a teacher mentioning it  

Rogram injection for RH- issues was invented one after my first birth so my 3rd who was taken 5 weeks early had to have 2 complete exchange transfusions where his heart stopped during first. Needless to say it's a shock to the body for infants.  My husband was involved in infant care for sure though. 

I am so glad the show is back.  Watching this series shows me the British / Europeans were ahead in positioning during labor , most younger women find it hard to believe we had our legs strapped / clamped down during delivery. 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 3

While I like the new nurse Lucille Anderson, I think this will be my last episode. The show just hasn't been the same since the end of Season 5. Once Sister Evangelina died, the heart of the show died with it, imo. I thought the two main plotlines aside from the arrival of Nurse Anderson (stripper giving birth; woman dying of cancer while buildings are being demolished around her) were just a little too farfetched. Irl, Nonnatus House closed in 1965, as so many women were giving birth in hospitals at that point. It had become an anachronism, and this series is straining a bit to find reasons to keep all these characters in one place and remain relevant in the 1960s as well. It makes me sad; this was one of my favorite shows. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I think the show has confused 1963 with 1968 in so far as hair, make-up, hem length, and encouraging men to be present during the birth. Actually I had my baby in 1968 and my husband was down the hall smoking with the other men the entire time. 

I wondered about that. I was born then and my father often joked that not only was he not in the delivery room, they had to tackle him running through the parking lot.

I have to admit that between the show taking place in the past and in the UK, I always handwave things that confuse me as one of those things but I admit that I feel like I'm doing that more and more as the show goes on.

I cannot for the life of understand why the show treats Sister Winifred as comedy relief. They really don't seem to know what to do with her.

• Love 1

Fathers in the delivery room were certainly not the norm at that time but they did exist - always expect outliers. My siblings and I were born during the 50's/60's in a very conservative, rural region. My parents were pretty normal and had no times for progressive ideas yet my father was present at all births since my mother really appreciated his big hands pressing against her back during labor. She told me that this had been an immense help. The legendary midwife (who had been doing her duty since WWI) never objected - she certainly appreciated him more than the neighbor who had spent all the time she was fighting to save his wife from hemorrhaging in a drunken stupor hurling occasional abuses in the other bed. She was a great midwife but not necessarily discreet.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnnaBaptist said:

While I like the new nurse Lucille Anderson, I think this will be my last episode. The show just hasn't been the same since the end of Season 5. Once Sister Evangelina died, the heart of the show died with it, imo. I thought the two main plotlines aside from the arrival of Nurse Anderson (stripper giving birth; woman dying of cancer while buildings are being demolished around her) were just a little too farfetched. Irl, Nonnatus House closed in 1965, as so many women were giving birth in hospitals at that point. It had become an anachronism, and this series is straining a bit to find reasons to keep all these characters in one place and remain relevant in the 1960s as well. It makes me sad; this was one of my favorite shows. 

I personally didn't find the storylines far fetched. Strippers did get pregnant and have babies, and people have often obstructed destruction of buildings by staying in their homes.  My own parents were in complete denial about my mother's cancer - up to the day she died. Not as dramatic as this couple, but I think the show gave a good emotional underpinning for why they would stay in their bubble.

As for Nonnantus house becoming an anachronism - the show is in 1963, so still open, and more women are having hospital deliveries. It's an option the midwives discuss with them all the time.

17 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Fathers in the delivery room were certainly not the norm at that time but they did exist - always expect outliers. My siblings and I were born during the 50's/60's in a very conservative, rural region. My parents were pretty normal and had no times for progressive ideas yet my father was present at all births since my mother really appreciated his big hands pressing against her back during labor. She told me that this had been an immense help. The legendary midwife (who had been doing her duty since WWI) never objected - she certainly appreciated him more than the neighbor who had spent all the time she was fighting to save his wife from hemorrhaging in a drunken stupor hurling occasional abuses in the other bed. She was a great midwife but not necessarily discreet.

I agree. And it was presented as an outlier approach.

As for fashion - in the 60's Britain was more fashion forward than the US, we adopted their fashions, because they were cool. So I'm willing to believe what they present.

• Love 8

Yes, we did follow the English fashion scene but we weren't five years behind -- maybe a few months. 

Yes, of course men delivered their own babies from cave man days, particularly in the American frontier and on isolated farms.  What seemed odd to me, was that this was not presented as an outlier ("Oh  how very odd!")  but a new wave that the midwives were going to encourage and teach in their classes.

Yes, strippers got pregnant and had babies -- and they were shunned by the other women, not patronized for ballet lessons.

Oh well.  I guess I'm going to have to ignore history and my own experience and just accept History According to Heidi Thomas as fact.

I'm just not sure I'm going to be able to watch her updated version of "Little Women," though.  I watched the preview where she says she tweaked it to make it "relevant."  All I could think was  why?

• Love 1

I personally didn't find the storylines far fetched. Strippers did get pregnant and have babies, and people have often obstructed destruction of buildings by staying in their homes. 

The far fetched aspect of the stripper isn't that she got pregnant but that she somehow had enough money to buy out a dance school and had the necessary dance instruction to run the dance school... but was also desperate to be paid for her last few strips.

The elderly couple isn't unrealistic in merrily ignoring reality but the actual books the show is based on outline the very organized way people were cleared from the slums. It's also unfair in it's depiction of everyone being heartless and cruel to the elderly couple without any acknowledgement that this didn't happen in a complete vacuum. 

• Love 3

The show certainly pushes progressive and sometimes downright anachronistic mindsets pretty hard. It's the double curse of historical fiction - if you're presenting (prevailing) mindsets of the period on controversial topics you're in danger of losing your audience, especially if said mindsets are expressed by protagonists (notice how all the main characters immediately embraced Lucille). So there's always a danger of going too far into the opposite direction. Plus there's no denying that the 'outliers' often provide the better stories and so writers are immediately drawn to them. It's tricky to keep the balance and the show's definitely struggling. But it's hardly alone in that battle *cough*DowntonAbbey*cough*

• Love 4
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn’t get the idea that the strip club was in a different part of London.

In the UK version, they do show her arriving at the East End tube station with her suitcase and her fur after quitting the strip club. 

• Love 3