Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E13: The Solo Oscillation

When Sheldon kicks Amy out to work solo, she and Leonard bond during a series of science experiments. Also, Bert the geologist replaces Wolowitz in the band Footprints on the Moon, and Sheldon finds Penny a surprising source of scientific inspiration.

I love Sheldon and Penny together.  They play off each other really well.  And Leonard and Amy were fun together as well.  I think maybe the show made a fundamental mistake with how they paired people off!

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, lazylump said:

Any Canadians get a glimpse of the coffee logo on the counter behind Leonard and Amy when doing the ice Experiment?  I swear it was a Tim Hortons Logo.  Anyone, or do I just need a bigger TV?

I'm American, didn't see it in this episode but I was half watching. I don't think you're going crazy or need a bigger TV. There was a Tim Hortons mug on Amy and Sheldon's counter in The Tesla Recoil (I posted about it, that's the only reason I recall which episode).

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 1

So great to have a scene with just Sheldon and Penny, those were my favorites in the earlier seasons. I'm glad too that Penny managed to help him with his work, because I hate it when the show makes her stupid - I was worried they were going there when they had her make a boat out of a newspaper at the beginning of the episode.

It's interesting that Sheldon wants to go back to string theory now, after he seemed well and truly over it in S7. Although he's the only one with a genius IQ, he hasn't made any breakthroughs in either string theory or dark matter until now, whereas Leonard, Howard, and Raj have all been very successful in their respective fields. I hope for him that his knot-in-four-dimensions-with-a-hyperplane theory (did I understand that correctly?) leads to a breakthrough.

• Love 4
Just now, Latverian Diplomat said:

While I agree that Penny and Sheldon together is great, part of the magic is how platonic they are.

That's true.  The idea of Penny and Sheldon having sex is rather disturbing for some reason.  Maybe it's a brother-sister vibe.

• Love 15
55 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

As one of my favorite TV weathermen (Lloyd Lindsey Young) used to scream - "SCIENCE!"  (My East Coast, tri-state area homies should get that reference).

He used to work here in Evansville!  We loved him.  In fact, my hubby talked to him on the CB radio when he was leaving here. That shows you how long ago it was.  Is he still working in the east?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

So great to have a scene with just Sheldon and Penny, those were my favorites in the earlier seasons. I'm glad too that Penny managed to help him with his work, because I hate it when the show makes her stupid - I was worried they were going there when they had her make a boat out of a newspaper at the beginning of the episode.

When Penny did the newspaper boat-and-hat bit that her father had taught her, I wanted her to have grandchildren for me because I thought she would be a great mother—as she always has been for Sheldon.

ETA: Now I want the series finale to be a peek into the future (5 or 10 years) in which Penny has attained an Early Childhood Education Certificate, has 1 or 2 kids of her own, and runs an in-home daycare for babies of geniuses who want their kids to be intellectually stimulated by a warm and nurturing caregiver.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 13

I loved the looks on Amy's and Leonard's faces when Penny told them strings could knot if they were sheets.  I honestly love how even though she doesn't understand something, she'll remember it and repeat it.

• Love 18
10 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Leonard and Penny’s disgusted looks at Amy doing her Neti pot in their sink was hilarious. 

I especially loved Leonard's look.  It also looked like Mayim was really doing the neti pot not just faking it.  I wouldn't be surprised if she used it in real life but I can never figure out how it works and am sure I'd drown myself if I tried it.

Sheldon and Penny are good when they actually work together, he somehow leaves his put downs and thoughts about her lack of education aside and uses her as a sounding board even though she doesn't "get" a lot of what he says it works for them and it's actually fun (and funny) to watch.  Also loved Sheldon being literal "No I passed out there" (points to floor).  And him and his Mom were sort of a call back to the episode with Leonard;s Mom.............Sheldon: What are the chances?  Beverly: Are you just asking or do you want to do the math?  Sheldon: I want to do the math.   He just can't help doing the math!

I think this is only the second time Leonard and Amy got exclusive time together; the other was when he went to the wedding with her and they were fun to watch then also.  I'm guessing with both couples is partly that they do all have chemistry with each other and seeing people who don't usually have scenes alone with each other is fresh for the viewer.

This site has a good recap of the episode but I'm really sharing it here because it has the cutest behind the scenes picture of Jim and Mayim hugging at what looks like a dinner or awards party.  Plus it has the you tube videos on how to do the ice and popsicle stick experiments

http://www.geekgirlauthority.com/big-bang-theory-recap-s11e13-solo-oscillation/

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

So when I googled it, I learned that it is highly unlikely someone would pass out, holding his breath. 

If someone could pass out though, it would be Sheldon!  He's stubborn like that (holding his breath to prove a point.) 

47 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I especially loved Leonard's look.  It also looked like Mayim was really doing the neti pot not just faking it.  I wouldn't be surprised if she used it in real life but I can never figure out how it works and am sure I'd drown myself if I tried it.

I can't get the hang of those either.  Mayim did a great job with this scene.  Actually using a Neti pot while carrying on a conversation and being filmed was quite impressive!  I would've drowned or snorted it all up while laughing at the looks on Penny and Leonard's face.  

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I can't get the hang of those either.  Mayim did a great job with this scene.  Actually using a Neti pot while carrying on a conversation and being filmed was quite impressive!  I would've drowned or snorted it all up while laughing at the looks on Penny and Leonard's face.  

I don’t think she could see them, which might’ve been blocked that way on purpose to enable her to keep a straight face and not snort water up her nose. 

13 hours ago, Frost said:

And Leonard and Amy were fun together as well.  I think maybe the show made a fundamental mistake with how they paired people off!

I love it when they mix up the couples, not necessarily for romance, but just to change things up.  Amy is good with all of the guys.  Does anyone remember whether there has been an episode with Bernadette and Leonard?  

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Thalia said:

Does anyone remember whether there has been an episode with Bernadette and Leonard?  

The scavenger hunt.  Bernadette turns into a rabid wolverine when she's in a competition and Leonard spent the entire time moaning about whether Penny was mad at him.  It was an interesting pairing, to say the least!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I loved the looks on Amy's and Leonard's faces when Penny told them strings could knot if they were sheets.  I honestly love how even though she doesn't understand something, she'll remember it and repeat it.

I think that was my favorite part of the episode.

I loved all of the Penny/Sheldon scenes.   They are always so great together and didn't disappoint here.  It's nice that Sheldon appreciates her and doesn't talk down to her because of her lack of science knowledge.  When Penny says, “See? How long did that take me? Like a minute?”, he gives her a little affirming nod/gesture that's so cute.

Leonard and Amy were awesome too.  I agree with Thalia, it's great when they mix up the pairings. I think it's especially fun when they pair up Sheldon and Amy with other characters for an episode.

Did anybody else think Howard's astronaut musical was an intriguing idea?

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

Did anybody else think Howard's astronaut musical was an intriguing idea?

It could be - I wish I could give it the proper level of consideration.  My problem is that watching the band rehearsal has lead to "Thor & Dr. Jones" getting stuck in my head.  That is a catchy tune, darn it!

• Love 10
11 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Leonard and Penny’s disgusted looks at Amy doing her Neti pot in their sink was hilarious. 

I was impressed that it appeared Mayim Bialik actually ran the water through her sinuses.  Some people are too squeamish to use a neti pot.

I liked the idea of Penny being a good sounding board for Sheldon.  Sounds like he may be going back into string theory.  I wonder if we will see Sheldon have any sort of major success before the series wraps up.  He's supposedly so brilliant, but he doesn't really have the accomplishments to back up his potential. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, rmontro said:

He's supposedly so brilliant, but he doesn't really have the accomplishments to back up his potential. 

The show tries to infer his accomplishments rather than state them outright.  For example, the reporter from Physics Today focused on Sheldon when Leonard and Sheldon published a paper because he'd been following Sheldon's career.  I think the problem is that Physics and string theory are real things and the show either has to claim a real scientist's work as Sheldon's or make up a fake discovery for Sheldon to have.  That doesn't seem to be as difficult with Leonard's career as an experimental physicist as he's doing experiments that prove or disprove other's theories.

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, Frost said:

The show tries to infer his accomplishments rather than state them outright.  For example, the reporter from Physics Today focused on Sheldon when Leonard and Sheldon published a paper because he'd been following Sheldon's career.  I think the problem is that Physics and string theory are real things and the show either has to claim a real scientist's work as Sheldon's or make up a fake discovery for Sheldon to have.  That doesn't seem to be as difficult with Leonard's career as an experimental physicist as he's doing experiments that prove or disprove other's theories.

I always think about that when watching episodes that feature Sheldon's work in theoretical physics.  It is very problematic for the reasons you mention.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, wendyg said:

That was the best episode in a long, long time, entirely because of the high science content.

Absolutely.  Reminds me of the earlier seasons before the show became so couples-focused. 

Since JG has said next season will probably be the last, I hope we get a lot more episodes like last night's before the finale.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

It's nice that Sheldon appreciates her and doesn't talk down to her because of her lack of science knowledge.  When Penny says, “See? How long did that take me? Like a minute?”, he gives her a little affirming nod/gesture that's so cute.

I think he's come to appreciate how smart she is, arguably above everyone in the group but himself and Amy. At least when sober (I think alcohol for Penny is like the basement room at CalTech for Sheldon). Her lack of scientific knowledge means that more effort needs to go into laying things out for her, but that also means that he can't shortcut things that may not deserve shortcutting, and there's a greater chance of her asking a pointed question.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

So when I googled it, I learned that it is highly unlikely someone would pass out, holding his breath. 

It can happen, though. Years ago, when my oldest two kids were teens, they decided one day to have a contest to see who could hold their breath longer (yes, they were--still are!--weird people...). My son won (or, as he and I were discussing recently, maybe lost? We never really called it formally) when he passed out, and on his way down, hit his head on a brick in the brick-and-board bookcase he was standing next to. He's the genius child in the family, too (no, really! not Sheldon-level genius, though, thank goodness). Which just goes to show all teenagers are stupid in some way, and Sheldon's emotional maturity isn't much beyond adolescence, I suppose. Still, the joke was one of the two laugh-out-loud moments in the ep for me, a rarity these days, because I understood it immediately when I saw the board : )

The other moment I loved:

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I was already grinning happily through the back-and-forth scenes featuring...science!! Even the music stuff was about science. And the women weren't shunted to "less important" or filler/token science storylines, and the constant forced trope of "the nerdy science guys do stuff that bores/annoys/mystifies the women while the women only want to do relationship-based or domestic stuff" (and variants, usually involving how the guys aren't worthy of the women) was entirely absent. These were all smart people (yes, including Penny!) acting on their capabilities and competence, and it was fun to boot. And the sheets remark from Penny to Leonard and Amy after the brainstorming session with Sheldon was perfection--I laughed so loud I scared the cat. This is the stuff that makes me come back to BBT, because it's possible. I wish they'd give up on the pathetic/loser-type storylines once and for all.

• Love 13

Ugh, that really was gross. It just goes to show that in many ways, Amy really is the perfect match for Sheldon because she herself is often oblivious to social mores. To walk into someone's home and do that in their kitchen sink right in front of them shows a rather shocking lack of self-awareness. Amy is usually the voice of reason, correcting Sheldon's behavior.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

This was a great episode, firing on all cylinders, though my favorite storyline was Penny using her downhome common sense to help Sheldon figure out a direction for his life. Their relationship really started way back in the episode where they had an ever-escalating fight until Sheldon threw her laundry onto the telephone wires outside and Penny (thanks to Leonard) got Mrs. Cooper involved. There was a marked shift after that, of Sheldon accepting Penny as, well, maybe not an equal (not then, not yet), but as someone strong & smart enough to fight back and stand up for herself.

Since then, they've grown into a more-than-siblings-but-less-than-romantic-partners relationship that's probably the sweetest part of the show. I just saw a rerun of the episode where they celebrate Sheldon's birthday and he freaks out and hides in the bathroom. It's Penny who goes in to comfort him, and she says that as a kid she would have been one of Sheldon's tormenters, and now he's one of her favorite people. And you get the feeling he feels the same about her. 

Also good was Leonard's glee in sharing simple science fun with Amy, since he can't do that at all with his spouse. (I understand, I'm an ol' Grateful Deadhead married to a Dead-hater. You learn to deal.) 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ugh, that really was gross. It just goes to show that in many ways, Amy really is the perfect match for Sheldon because she herself is often oblivious to social mores. To walk into someone's home and do that in their kitchen sink right in front of them shows a rather shocking lack of self-awareness. Amy is usually the voice of reason, correcting Sheldon's behavior.

It was a hilarious scene, though I kept thinking there is no way Sheldon would ever allow Amy to use a neti pot over their kitchen sink.  He would freak out so bad he might not ever be able to use that sink again, even after sterilizing it with hospital-grade disinfectant.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, kariyaki said:

That is the face I make every time my husband does his Neti pot in the sink, usually while the rest of us are eating dinner. 

My husband, on the other hand, didn't see the humor in the scene....

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Sometimes I wonder what a Sheldon and Penny relationship would actually look like.   They are polar opposites but they get each other and they have hella chemistry.  

If she had no sex drive it might work, but being a person with normal urges, Sheldon's lack of  desire for coitus nips that in the bud!  I can't imagine Penny & Leonard and Sheldon & Amy ever living very apart from each other.  Sheldon does seem to need both of them, especially Penny.  They really do have a special bond. 

• Love 2

I must say the Leonard - Amy pairing was really the episode's big surprise. Penny and Sheldon are always great but Leonard and Amy have so far not fared well - this was a success. I also liked the quick summary of what everybody's been up to at the beginning. I had forgotten that Leonard had been working with Bud and Amy with Howard (I wonder if they played Neil Diamond in the lab) - and I'm glad Raj's planetarium show is still a success. The rebound theory was also great - everybody who's ever been on a prolonged academic path is familiar with that one.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Gummo said:

Also good was Leonard's glee in sharing simple science fun with Amy, since he can't do that at all with his spouse.

Why not? Penny seemed happy with the show Prof Proton was giving when he visited, and more recently she and Sheldon were trading knowledge over breakfast; it's not science she's averse to, but the boredom of a classroom.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

This is why Penny should be part of a new Professor Proton show. Even though she doesn't understand it, she can say it as if she knows exactly what she's talking about. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

This is why Penny should be part of a new Professor Proton show. Even though she doesn't understand it, she can say it as if she knows exactly what she's talking about. 

Good point. And it would make a satisfying bookend to her character's journey on the show.

• Love 3

Kunal looked way hot in his bar mitzvah suit.

Why wouldn’t Raj and Howard just practice in the garage when Haley is sleeping?

Penny is such a good friend to Sheldon.  It is absolutely my favorite part of this whole series.  Also love how she can poke fun at him (like rubbing her tummy in the “mmmm” motion) and he rolls with it.

And I want her black and blue sweater.  You would think living in the northeast I could find nice sweaters but nope.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

And I want her black and blue sweater.  You would think living in the northeast I could find nice sweaters but nope.

This is the first season I really dig Penny's wardrobe choices. I was more partial to the deer print shirt - the sweater's sold out btw. (but at a price of $345 that might be a blessing in disguise).

• Love 1
On 1/11/2018 at 7:50 PM, Latverian Diplomat said:

While I agree that Penny and Sheldon together is great, part of the magic is how platonic they are. There is no sexual tension whatsoever, but they still get things from each other they don't get from other people.

After 11 seasons and with how all the couples have been firmly established, of course Sheldon and Penny have to be classified as platonic. 

But in the early seasons, IMO there was romantic potential for Sheldon and Penny (which Shenny shippers, to this day, feel was wasted). They have a sparkling as well as an endearing quality together that could have easily turned them down that path.

I am realistic enough to know Shenny will never be. However, it would behoove the writers to go back to pairing them more often. As has been said, they are always fun to watch. Many of the classic episodes and scenes of the series have been with Sheldon and Penny.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, ChitChat said:

If she had no sex drive it might work, but being a person with normal urges, Sheldon's lack of  desire for coitus nips that in the bud!

Sheldon's interest in coitus has already been somewhat stimulated by Amy. I imagine it could be spurred on further by someone who has far more sexual experience.

On 1/11/2018 at 7:13 PM, chocolatine said:

I'm glad too that Penny managed to help him with his work, because I hate it when the show makes her stupid - I was worried they were going there when they had her make a boat out of a newspaper at the beginning of the episode.

I took the paper boat/hat bit as Penny basically being all "I am not participating in whatever this is about. I'm going to amuse myself." Rather than it being about her being "dumb".

• Love 7