Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Second Chances

Cranberry

Deacon goes on a date with a familiar face. Juliette dives into a self-help movement. Will and Gunnar invite Avery to perform with them. Scarlett is reminded how her career has had a positive influence on fans. Daphne reaches out to Jake.

I really enjoyed this episode, probably because so Avery-centric as he's my favorite character.  That Will/Gunnar/Avery/Cadence stuff was gold.  Funny and relevant considering Avery always puts himself on the backburner for Juliette.  I know this Darius has to be a cult leader of some stripe or at least just a con man (30% of income?), but that doesn't mean some observations he makes can't be true.  Juliette does have to dominate every interaction, but does that mean Avery is just a doormat?  I think it's more complicated than that, and I like that the writers recognize through Avery's friends that his situation with Juliette is problematic. 

I also like them addressing that Juliette and Avery are not married.  

I like the Jessie character as an individual so this rel is no prob for me.  They did a good job introducing her and bringing her in in S5. 

Light on Maddie, love it.  

I think Avery will see this Darius cult thing as just another short-term fix for Juliette a la gospel music/religion.  Also, I hope that part of Avery's problem with this thing is he's an intelligent well-read man who sees through the bullshit.  It's just another philosophy, in another words -one man's opinion.  

• Love 8

Juliette better not give any of her money to these cult people. The helping others and meditating and all that can certainly be great things and can help Juliette, but anyone who asks people for 30% of someone's income is clearly pulling some kind of scam.

I loved the Will/Gunnar/Avery stuff. I didn't even mind the Gunnar/Scarlett scene, since there didn't seem to be any subtext about them getting back together. And Cadence is super adorable.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 6

I think the showrunners took a nice long look at S4 and realized the stylings of Avery/Will/Gunnar/and now toddler Cadence is the shit. Love it.  Need that light to counter the darkness of cult land, even though Darius and his fortune cookie wisdom is hi-larious.  

Edited by sunflower

I just realized that Scarlett's closest/only girlfriend is her uncle. Gunner has Will and Avery to hangout with and sing with but Scarlett seems to be all alone. 

More WAG please. How about they all move back in together with the baby and we rename this show 3 Men and a little lady. Hell bring back Gunners not son for him to raise.

Juliette can just jump off a bridge. I can't believe this is the last season and they are pulling such crap. Avery needs to run away. Girl that tacky ass house is all you don't look at Avery like his only interested in your money. Every time he tries to make some on his own you ruin it for him by being crazy. 

It seems so obvious, but how can it be?, that Will and Gunnar is rom-com territory.  That ain't no bromance interactions, all those kitchen scenes...Is it a running joke that these dudes are always making pancakes? (See S4).  And notice in the scene with Will and Gunnar that G said Avery was his best friend?  Because Will is his soon to be lover!  A girl can dream, it would be such a great story! 

I don't know about anyone else but I am getting crazy cult, Scientology type feel to this cult thing and Juliette. I am not sure who decided to go this way but its a bit messed up for the final season. Is it going to end up where she has to walk away from her daughter and Avery because of it if they don't follow in this cult too and give a bunch of income to them? UGH

I know others are into it but I'm not into seeing a Gunner is bi story with him and Will hooking up. I like the friendship they have going in the show and it would end up killing it with how this show goes. 

So far this show is just eh to the start of the end of its run. 

• Love 5

I liked this episode almost solely for the Will/Gunnar/Avery/Cadence plot. I just love the three of them together, they have such great chemistry, are super fun together, and make great music. Add Cadence being adorable, and you have TV magic right there! I especially loved Will akwardly trying to literally lasso Avery in the middle of his kitchen, and failing miserably while Gunnar laughs at him. 

Know what isn't fun? Juliet being a totally maladjusted stupid person who apparently is about to ditch her family (again!) and give 30% of her income to this cult/obvious con. I am just sick to death of doing this with Juliet. Juliet is unhappy, she looks to find something to distract her from her unhappiness or fix it, she ditches her family, and then learns a lesson or gets bored or fails and comes back to her family/career again. Rinse and repeat. That part when she told Avery that she was "finally happy here" with these random people she just met instead of her long time partner and daughter was just brutal. Its sad to say this, but he deserves better.

Just a bit of advice Jules? If a religion requires 30% of your income upfront, its probably not the best kind of religion. 

• Love 12
45 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

That part when she told Avery that she was "finally happy here" with these random people she just met instead of her long time partner and daughter was just brutal.

Really, when she was like, don't ruin this for me?  Girls got Balls.  Sometimes I just want to slap the silly out of her.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, sunflower said:

Really, when she was like, don't ruin this for me?  Girls got Balls.  Sometimes I just want to slap the silly out of her.  

Yeah. Juliette sucks a lot of the time but also.. we’ve been here before with her. This excat storyline. Minus the cult stuff but just with her wanting to return to singing right after having a baby.. seriously. Same story. Can’t believe this is how they’re ending the series for her. 

• Love 5

Does anyone know where I can watch this episode? I had it set on the DVR but something else recorded instead of it. I can't find it on demand and I can't find any future showings on CMT. Would love to see an Avery-centric episode, that's for sure.

8 hours ago, Bad Example said:

I want Will, Gunnar, and Avery to become the the most famous country children's band in the world and Cadence can just sit and giggle and the whole thing will be adorable.

The giggle was the best wasn't it? This would be something if that was to happen to them. LOL

• Love 1

Did the cult lady really say that every cult member has to give the cult 30% of their income? I thought she said that the cult donates 30% of its income to charitable causes, but I was pouring myself a cup fo tea during that scene so I may have misunderstood. I figured cult members would have to pay a hefty daily/hourly rate for Darius's time, but 30% of total income sounds absurd. Are there really that many stupid rich people around?

3 hours ago, milner said:

Can someone please tell me the name of the actor who plays Darius, the 'cult' leader and what he has been in before?   Thank you

3 hours ago, sunflower said:

He played in the Affair and Parenthood. His name is Josh Stamberg. 

37 minutes ago, Badger said:

He was also in the first four seasons of "Drop Dead Diva."

He also played Karl Meyer, Susan's ex-husband, on Desperate Housewives. The actor plays sleazy/shady really well.

• Love 1

The show runners are punishing everyone who wanted more Gunnar, Will, and Avery interacting by sending Jules into a cash hungry cult.

I need Avery to take Cadence and leave Juliette. She's always been too selfish for him. Not understanding the retcon that he and Jules aren't married. He never filed the papers. But this show seems to shred everyone's backstory every episode.

Deacon had a date. Cute. When does her psycho ex find out? 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, milner said:

Can someone please tell me the name of the actor who plays Darius, the 'cult' leader and what he has been in before?   Thank you

He was also on Drop Dead Diva as the head of the law firm. That’s what I remember him from. 

So, I finally see where the season is going.  Juliette and Scarlett will join the cult and take their neediness with them.  Avery, Will, and Gunner will move back in together (and of course with Cadance!) and form a hugely successful group that will save Highway 65 and eclipse the careers of not only their contemporaries like Juliette, Maddy, etc., but even overshadow the former Queen of Country Rayna James.  Deacon will now head and run one of the most successful record labels in the country and even join and jam with Avery, Will, and Gunner from time to time.  Teddy will finally be released from Jail, reclaim Daphne and move out of Nashville to try to get away from his notoriety.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, J-Man said:

What the heck is a "guitar pull?"

Yes, I wish this would have been explained too.

I like Jessie, which is inexplicable because I loved Rayna/Deacon. But they've done a good job in not rushing it.

Maisy Stella looks beautiful and so much more mature than last season. But, please no peroxide!

19 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Did the cult lady really say that every cult member has to give the cult 30% of their income? I thought she said that the cult donates 30% of its income to charitable causes, but I was pouring myself a cup fo tea during that scene so I may have misunderstood. I figured cult members would have to pay a hefty daily/hourly rate for Darius's time, but 30% of total income sounds absurd. Are there really that many stupid rich people around?

A&E has a show called Scientology & the Aftermath which will answer that question which is yes there are. 

Juliette’s story is completely about joining a fictional Scientology and I don’t care.  

Give me a spin-off with Avery, Gunner and Will.  They really the only bright spot of this show.  I can completely do without all the female characters and could care less about Deacon dating again.  

• Love 4

If only they had put the guys together in a band, and kept them there, a couple of seasons ago.  Together as a group even Gunner is fun and that's saying something.  I'd watch the hell out of that show.

Rinse and repeat with Juliette.  And she's so isolated from the rest of the cast.  Again.

• Love 3
On 1/13/2018 at 3:06 PM, J-Man said:

I thought it was "guitar pool" (like a "typing pool" where all the typists sat and worked) and that it was something like a jam session. However, you are correct and I just found a definition: "a guitar-pull is a southern tradition where a small group of musicians sit around and take turns playing songs on a guitar.  The 'pull' part comes from the assumption that there was only one guitar among the group, so one may have to 'pull' it away from another in order to get a turn."

On 1/12/2018 at 10:09 PM, chocolatine said:

Yep when you look at what Scientology you will see there are lots of rich idiots that will give even more then 30% of their income way to a so called "religion". Along with those that aren't rich who do it. Its pretty disturbing but they prey on those down and out, lure them in with promises and then trap them. I pity those born into that sick kind of world. Yet I am waiting for this cult on the show to tell Juliette she can't talk to Avery and her daughter unless they join too. Along with whatever other bs they will toss in to say how Avery and her daughter are bad for her. *rollseyes* 

On 1/13/2018 at 3:06 PM, J-Man said:

A guitar-pull is a southern tradition where a small group of musicians sit around and take turns playing songs on a guitar....pulled it off a google search and it is spelled pull not pool. Should have asked hubby to see if he knew or not since he plays guitar. LOL 

I enjoyed this episode simply because it had a lot of Avery in it ... and very little Maddie and Daphne. I loved the three guys together, loved how they kidnapped Avery and refused to let him mope. "You're too mopey." "I'm not mopey, you are." LOL

I'm not wild about the Juliette storyline; however, I like that she's not acting like a crazy person and seems to be fairly mature in the way she's checking them out. They seem very reasonable and friendly, and I can see how she'd be drawn to them. I assume later we'll find out how much of a cult they really are. I am predicting that this will lead to an actual Javery breakup that'll be fixed by the end of the season. :) 

I am so over Scarlette and her "boo hoo, I don't think I want to perform after all." Either pursue a performing career or stick to writing. But quit angsting about it.

I like Deacon, and enjoyed seeing his uncertainty over dating someone. I'm not wild about Jesse. I kind of wish he'd sort of played the field a bit before finding a relationship, and I kind of hope this one doesn't work out. It's just not that realistic to find the right person so easily, imo.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrystalMoon said:

I like Deacon, and enjoyed seeing his uncertainty over dating someone. I'm not wild about Jesse. I kind of wish he'd sort of played the field a bit before finding a relationship, and I kind of hope this one doesn't work out. It's just not that realistic to find the right person so easily, imo.

This is exactly what I've been thinking.  Deacon, in previous seasons, had no trouble asking women out.  I don't mind him getting together with Jesse eventually, but would have liked him dating others first, possibly because the thing with Jesse felt like it would be too serious of a relationship, then realizing that casual dating wasn't what he wanted.  Then we could have Deacon/Jesse.  Maybe that would have taken too much of the shortened season. 

Mainly, I like to see confidant (regarding women and guitars) Deacon and not this awkward, hesitant pussy-footing around Deacon.

• Love 3

I kind of feel like Deacon was feeling a little pressure to start dating, mainly from Scarlett, which might have sparked his initial hesitancy and awkwardness. I like Jessie but I think it still could end up that he decides it’s too soon and he’s not quite ready. And, considering Jeffrey Nordling will be around for the season, maybe he figures into things somehow. 

And I like seeing the girls, especially Daphne. 

Seriously, the cult can have Juliette, and Scarlett, Heck.. Maddie, too.    

Just have Will, Avery and Gunner playing music and having fun and raising Cadence and I'm ha happy viewer.   

It disturbs me that I like no women on this show.  That is not usually a problem for me.  But that's where we're at.  

I'm cool with Cadence.  I don't mind Daphne when she's in scenes with just Deacon... I don't need her to join the cult. I just need limited time with her.   

Otherwise.  I just want to watch the Will/Avery/Gunner show.  

On 1/15/2018 at 0:43 PM, CrystalMoon said:

I'm not wild about the Juliette storyline; however, I like that she's not acting like a crazy person and seems to be fairly mature in the way she's checking them out. They seem very reasonable and friendly, and I can see how she'd be drawn to them. I assume later we'll find out how much of a cult they really are. I am predicting that this will lead to an actual Javery breakup that'll be fixed by the end of the season. :) 

I don't think she is being mature at all. She walked off the stage as she did. Took advice from some guy she doesn't even know and more then likely targeted her for her name and money (Scientology). The guy knew she had weakness to use and play on. That is how people get sucked into cults and giving everything they have to them. Reasonable and friendly is always going to be the act a cult puts on for new recruits. They can't have them see the real deal or they would run the other way. Yet its not reasonable at all to be telling someone they have to give 30% of their income to them if they are part of their crazy. I do think it will be a breakup for sure. Yet want to bet he has to go rescue her ass from the crazy cult and that is how they get back together before it ends? *rollseyes* 

BTW, if she was being mature she would have been home dealing with her issues like a mature adult and taking care of her baby. Not running off whenever like she does. 

• Love 1
On 1/15/2018 at 2:43 PM, CrystalMoon said:

It's just not that realistic to find the right person so easily, imo.

This is in regard to Deacon & Jesse.  I doubt if it's really common to meet the right person so quickly, but my uncle did.  He was in a grief support group after his wife passed away after 40+ years together.  When he and Ann met, he knew from their first date that she was the one and sure enough, they married and had one of the most loving, romantic, mutually respectful marriages ever, until he died at age 90-something.  They waited an appropriate time before marrying, BTW; they didn't do it after one of their support group meetings.    

• Love 1
(edited)

Yay Avery!

All cult-type things creep me out.

I hate the Deacon relationship. I like him better solo and just being a dad for a while. 

Edited by gryphon