Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Clooney

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Other weird notes:  Randall drives a $100,000 plus car.  Beth drives a pretty ordinary American SUV.  I would think she would have at least a 'luxury' SUV like an Audi Q or Lexus RX.

Eh, I drive a nice new car with all the bells and whistles and my husband drives a 30 year old minivan I won't set foot in. Doesn't bother me at all.

9 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I get Kate. I never tried on a piece of clothing knowingly that it would not fit, but I have never truly been happy with my body. I tend to always buy clothes 1 or 2 sizes bigger than me, because I always expect to gain back some of my weight. I have those voices, still.

I understand the voices, I have them too, I just cannot relate to the immediacy of her response. In my own experience, I've been overjoyed when reaching my goal, and it takes a while for me to start undermining myself again. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I understand the voices, I have them too, I just cannot relate to the immediacy of her response. In my own experience, I've been overjoyed when reaching my goal, and it takes a while for me to start undermining myself again. 

All the body image stuff is complicated.  In one of my favorite pictures of my daughter's wedding, my one hand that's showing looks enormous for some reason, and my hips are probably more objectively noticeable, but it's the hand that bugs me.  Inexplicable.  I have to laugh at myself but darned if I understand it. 

16 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

All the body image stuff is complicated.  In one of my favorite pictures of my daughter's wedding, my one hand that's showing looks enormous for some reason, and my hips are probably more objectively noticeable, but it's the hand that bugs me.  Inexplicable.  I have to laugh at myself but darned if I understand it. 

Agreed. I look at pictures of my "normal" weighted self and still think my thighs were too fat. I was in petite sizes, but I see tree trunks when I look at the pictures.

And yet, I have a photo of me during a period when my ex told me I was fat  - wearing a dress I specifically bought to "hide" the fat - and I can see that I was perfectly slender by anyone else's standards. Wierd. The mind is a dark and twisty place.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 4:48 PM, cameron said:

I don't think that she was ever a size 7.  She looks a lot larger than that.

Hannah Zeile, the young actress who plays teen Kate, looked pretty small at the SAG awards tonight:

this-is-us-sag-awards.jpg?w=620&h=420&cr

I think she just looks thicker because she's quite short, but she doesn't look much bigger than Mandy Moore in this picture.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Hannah Zeile, the young actress who plays teen Kate, looked pretty small at the SAG awards tonight:

this-is-us-sag-awards.jpg?w=620&h=420&cr

I think she just looks thicker because she's quite short, but she doesn't look much bigger than Mandy Moore in this picture.

I love her dress the most, really pretty. I always thought on the show they emphasized her widest areas by having her wear clothes that cut her off in the wrong places, made her waist seem bigger but she was never "heavy" to me.

• Love 2

Looking at a couple of pics I see online, this one shows how beautifully the casting dept did in having the kids age so well and the second pic which was on their mantle shows how even back then, Jack had Kate, Rebecca, Randall and the mom by the pool, Kevin. ; )

this is us pic 3.JPG

this is us.jpg

• Love 2
On 1/19/2018 at 6:29 PM, nexxie said:

Really liked all the storylines in this episode - just wish Beth wasn’t always so sour; maybe the writers will let the building project bring her some joy.

Exactly.  

Not to mention, she was once a stay at home mom.  Why is she giving Randall such a hard time about working as though he's out of touch with reality because he doesn't have a job?  He seems to be taking care of the children.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I love her dress the most, really pretty. I always thought on the show they emphasized her widest areas by having her wear clothes that cut her off in the wrong places, made her waist seem bigger but she was never "heavy" to me.

Hannah Z. is one beautiful little girl.  Mandy looked incredible too.  Not digging the actress that plays Beth's dress.

• Love 1

I have a 17 year old who wears 7s and 5s.  She looks more like Madison's size than this. 

But like I said, not that it matters to me.  They couldn't cast a fourth Kate to be size 7 at age 17.  Ziele pulled it off fine.  But it's a little like looking past an actress's baby bump behind a giant handbag when the character isn't pregnant.  Not that Ziele looks pregnant, just not a size 7, to me.  

2018-01-22_8-35-23.jpg

Edited by Guest

I can buy teen Kate being a 7 in 1997/98 sizes, especially for a formal dress. I bought by senior prom dress just a year before in a size 3...and had to have it taken in a little, even though I wore a anywhere from a 5-7 and occasionally 9 in regular jeans. So fitting into a size 7 formal could have easily kept her in the range of 10-16 in regular clothes.

On 1/20/2018 at 10:39 PM, breezy424 said:

I also don't 'get' Kate and the voices.  I was a fat teenager.  Then I lost the weight.  I felt good.  And kept it off for the rest of my life so far.....well except when I was pregnant....but went back to an average weight after each pregnancy.

I don't really know if I can explain it well, but as someone who has struggled with eating disorders it was EXACTLY what I went through. The voice in your head that we all have tells us how we feel about ourself, our conscience, and our internal monologue. We all have one, some people are more in tune with theirs than others. It's not another voice in a schizophrenic sense, it is our own voice. And after a while, you get used to hearing things from this voice, good or bad. You can change your body, but it is much harder to change that internal voice. For me, when I was anorexic, that voice told me that I was never good enough. i could lose all the weight in the world but I still wasn't good enough. And that voice continued to tell me how fat I was, despite not being fat at all. When I turned to binge eating, it was similar, with a voice of "you don't deserve to be thin" or "everyone already thinks you aren't good enough".  And the guilt after a binge? Oh wow,. was that voice loud. "You idiot. You're never going to be loved if you keep doing this." Much like an addiction or an abusive relationship, you learn that those words are normal and you become dependent on them. Going through therapy and trying to take away that voice is as terrifying for someone with an eating disorder as trying to take away an addict's drug of choice. You depend on it, it is your friend (albeit abusive and unhealthy) but you feel very lonely without it. 

I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but I'm trying to explain it as best I can. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

But they said she was Maddie's size, too, didn't they?  

I believe Kate said she and Madison would have been able to share clothes. Depending on the clothing item and cut, I could see it. Obviously not super-tight things but t-shirts or flowy/baggy 90s dresses, sure.

2 hours ago, sara416 said:

I don't really know if I can explain it well, but as someone who has struggled with eating disorders it was EXACTLY what I went through. The voice in your head that we all have tells us how we feel about ourself, our conscience, and our internal monologue. We all have one, some people are more in tune with theirs than others. It's not another voice in a schizophrenic sense, it is our own voice. And after a while, you get used to hearing things from this voice, good or bad. You can change your body, but it is much harder to change that internal voice. For me, when I was anorexic, that voice told me that I was never good enough. i could lose all the weight in the world but I still wasn't good enough. And that voice continued to tell me how fat I was, despite not being fat at all. When I turned to binge eating, it was similar, with a voice of "you don't deserve to be thin" or "everyone already thinks you aren't good enough".  And the guilt after a binge? Oh wow,. was that voice loud. "You idiot. You're never going to be loved if you keep doing this." Much like an addiction or an abusive relationship, you learn that those words are normal and you become dependent on them. Going through therapy and trying to take away that voice is as terrifying for someone with an eating disorder as trying to take away an addict's drug of choice. You depend on it, it is your friend (albeit abusive and unhealthy) but you feel very lonely without it. 

I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but I'm trying to explain it as best I can. 

You did; you did explain it. Thank you for an eloquent, beautiful post.

• Love 1

I know This is Us is on tonight, but next week TV Guide has the Presidential address canceling shows on Tuesday and the following week says "new" but they have an old title on (which is probably an error) So we have this week and then  2 wks which will probably be Super Bowl week and the show he dies or starts to die in, if they have it over 2 episodes?

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, sara416 said:

It does make perfect sense and it reminds me of  Dr. Phil's book, "Self Matters," where he speaks a lot about  that negative self talk.  I know Dr. Phil has completely sold out these days, but there was a time when he was a very good behaviorist.  I know someone who says that book changed her whole life. 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:59 PM, Kira53 said:

All I wanted was for Randall to be at William’s apartment and for Cooney to sneak in to the apartment and that Randall would take him home.  I forgot that one of the girls was allergic but so what, they took in a foster child at the wrong time in the wrong situation.  I just wanted Clooney to get a new home.  He would have been the perfect cat for Randall, a little beat up, little rough around the edges but a fighter. The daughter could’ve taken allergy pills.   I could see Randall picking up a stray and trying to make it a show cat.  In my fantasy, Randall would have a little piece of William and know something that William loved.  That’s why he was looking for the lady.  Bring in a funny way how he was always running to the super to get things fixed. So Randles behind the building and he’s having the idea of having something that his father loved. Still rather him have Clooney.

Yes, the Clooney story was ultimately very unsatisfying.  Nooooo, strays definitely do NOT "always find someone who needs them" and that random kid feeding Clooney a single bowl of food was such a weak afterthought scene. 

I really hoped Clooney would jump through Randall's car window and snuggle into William's old sweater.  It would have been more interesting to watch the spiffy tidy Randall Pearson family adjusting to a third less-than-perfect addition than it was to have Randall being totally goofy, asking a series of strangers whether they'd been romantic involved with his dead father.  

Randall knew William had a lover at the end of his life, and that there was mutual affection and respect.  I didn't really like him being so elated that there was a "mystery woman."  Should've focused more on finding that cat.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

One of the daughters is allergic to cats. They can't take one in.

Asthma, not allergy. Although as I'm typing this I realize I don't know if that is much different. Remember how William saw Annie take her inhaler and then left to visit Clooney at home? I'm allergic to cats (my whole family is) and I don't have asthma, but the symptoms are likely similar

Hee.  I imagine the daughter's respiratory ailment was written in service to William traveling back and forth to his old home base instead of bringing his pet along in the first place.  All those hours on the bus helped establish William's sensitive nature and there were more stories to be mined from his old apartment/neighborhood.

I just think "Clooney" has been referenced quite a bit and once they showed him starving, dodging cars and being chased by children, they missed their full quota of happy sniffles by being a little too sketchy regarding his fate.  

• Love 3

I didn't realize I missed this episode until I started watching last night's and realized during the "previously on..." preview none of those scenes were familiar.  So I turned off the show and hopped on Hulu to see this one.

This is the first episode that I have not been totally annoyed with Kate.  Which sort of surprises me, because I'm not a fan of 99% of her story lines revolving around her weight (there needs to be something more to her than that), and this one was about her weight, but I still liked it.  I agree with other posts up thread who find it incredible that Kate could afford a custom gown from a store like that - I'd guess we're talking at least $5,000, maybe closer to $10,000?  But I liked the Kate/Madison friendship development.   As for the teen actress, I always figured she was skinnier in real life than they had her appear on the show - it was pretty obvious they were putting her in oversize clothes for a while.  And this is why - so they could show the "reveal" of Kate's skinny period.  The young actress is really very good, and I think the 3 Kates are the best cast group among the kids.

I also liked that Miguel put Kevin in his place when Kevin whined about Miguel going to the grocery store with them.  Yeah, Kevin, you treated your mom like shit the last time you saw her, and Miguel wanted to make sure that didn't happen again.  Good for him.  And now that I think about it, I wasn't really annoyed with Kevin's story line either, since he's now "getting it".

And I like Randall and Beth, so no complaints there.  I liked the "Lady" plot line, as Randall needs purpose and this fit the bill (at least temporarily), and thought it was sweet and funny that it ended up being a billboard. 

I still wish they'd just get to the fire/Jack's death.  I stopped caring a few episodes ago, and still don't care.  Jack's death is the Lost polar bear - it's been strung out too long and wasn't interesting enough to begin with.

• Love 2
On 1/22/2018 at 2:19 PM, sara416 said:

Beautifully put. 

• Love 1
On 1/24/2018 at 8:55 AM, candall said:

I imagine the daughter's respiratory ailment was written in service to William traveling back and forth to his old home base instead of bringing his pet along in the first place.  All those hours on the bus helped establish William's sensitive nature and there were more stories to be mined from his old apartment/neighborhood.

I just think "Clooney" has been referenced quite a bit and once they showed him starving, dodging cars and being chased by children, they missed their full quota of happy sniffles by being a little too sketchy regarding his fate.  

I know! But then again, Annie's asthma aside, the Pearson Prime family adopted a stray dog not long ago (in story-telling time), one who just...magically appeared, sort of like a leprechaun...and maybe the writers resisted the impulse. Or hoped we'd come to appreciate that Clooney "got his own." Or didn't want to add a kitty to the cast. 

And the expertly directed, shot and edited cold opening of Clooney on the streets, scored to "God Bless the Child," which gently seques, on little cat feet, into the This Is Us guitar strums and title card?  Real magic.

• Love 3

Clooney on the streets was one of the best things they've done on the show.  The show needs more of that artistry (and humor in my opinion).  I would have liked more cat, but come to think of it, they don't appear much on TV, I suppose because they're not so controllable with food treats as dogs.  Not the cats in my life, anyway.

• Love 4
On 1/19/2018 at 7:17 AM, QQQQ said:

I've been overweight my whole life, and there's a constant tape playing in my head about food, being fat, losing weight. My adult weight has fluctuated between 120 and 300. No matter what I've tried - and I've tried it all, from gastric bypass to Weight Watchers - I can't (won't?) maintain a healthy weight and always return to obesity. Kate saying the "thin her" missed the negative voice was a gut punch - I literally stopped breathing while she was talking. I guess the one thing I haven't tried is therapy...

We must be sisters.  I’m 5’, highest weight close to 280, post gastric bypass 135 now around 165.  I have been at 165 for 15 years.  I’ve kind of resigned myself to being fat...it seems like 165 is where my body wants to be.  I’m not happy about it but I can’t figure out how to change the part of me that resists regular exercise.  My food choices aren’t bad, portions are probably too big but 56 years into this life, I think it is what it is.  

On 1/23/2018 at 11:00 PM, BoogieBurns said:

Asthma, not allergy. Although as I'm typing this I realize I don't know if that is much different. Remember how William saw Annie take her inhaler and then left to visit Clooney at home? I'm allergic to cats (my whole family is) and I don't have asthma, but the symptoms are likely similar

Mrdc is terribly allergic to cats and has allergy-induced asthma.  Cats not only cause him to sneeze, have burning, itches eyes but within a couple minutes he’s also struggling to breathe.  She may have both.  

• Love 3