Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Pimple Popper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/7/2021 at 9:22 PM, Back Atcha said:

Is Whitney the one whose show ran its course a couple of seasons ago and she's grasping at ANYTHING to appear relevant ... like dealing with some French pêcheur-chat AND traveling to France to meet him/her/it ???

That be her!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I'm surprised that that Dr Lee doesn't put people with severe cases under general so she can get more cysts--especially with patients who are extra sensitive to pain like Monica. Dr Youn on Youtube (he loves Dr Lee, BTW) has said it would be easier to put some of these patients under general and take care of it all. He has great reaction videos to DPP and Botched.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Atlanta said:

I'm surprised that that Dr Lee doesn't put people with severe cases under general so she can get more cysts

Sometimes she DOES comment about the pain she endures while removing a lot of these cysts, lipomas, etc.  The patients have a pain threshhold, but so does the doctor.  If insurance is involved (which I doubt for these TV cases), there is often a limit to the number of things that can be treated in one session.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

They probably also made an executive decision that viewers would find it pretty boring to watch her pop things on unconscious people as opposed to people she can talk to and who can react. After all, it's supposed to be entertaining.

I would also add , maybe out of some ignorance of how this actually works, that putting someone under general anesthesia is something you do in a hospital setting with the assistance of an anesthesiologist, not in the back room of your clinic. And other medical facilities and doctors might be reluctant to be filmed for malpractice reasons and require some financial compensation as well.

I guess it might be possible she does some procedures under general anesthesia, but those are not ones that end up on TV.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Rickster said:

I would also add , maybe out of some ignorance of how this actually works, that putting someone under general anesthesia is something you do in a hospital setting

Oh, for sure, that almost goes without saying. It's very serious and complicated on so many levels, And it's not a TV show, at least not the kind they have on TLC.

• Love 1

OMG those bebe pêcheur-chat on you tube (first video) look just like my feral "yard tigers" mama is so very protective of them just like this mama! I didn't see the show so I don't know how it applies to the patient's dx, but the video was so cute!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Love it, too, but would it not be chat-pecheur (my keyboard doesn't appear to have the correct accent)?

I google something when I need an accent mark, or the cent sign, then paste it where I want it.

• Useful 1

Some procedures can be done under light sedation too.  It’s not general, so you don’t  have to be intubated, but you are really out of it and don’t remember anything. It’s like what you have with a colonoscopy or other out patient procedure.  I had it for one of my eye lid procedures.  But, I suspect they want the patient awake for the tv drama. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Some procedures can be done under light sedation too.  It’s not general, so you don’t  have to be intubated, but you are really out of it and don’t remember anything. It’s like what you have with a colonoscopy or other out patient procedure.  I had it for one of my eye lid procedures.  But, I suspect they want the patient awake for the tv drama. 

True but any sedation comes with risk also insurance probably would consider it unnecessary. I would why they don't use nitrous oxide.  I am nervous at the dentist and request that for most procedures. With that you do not have to have someone drive you home and you don't have to fast before the procedure.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

True but any sedation comes with risk also insurance probably would consider it unnecessary. I would why they don't use nitrous oxide.  I am nervous at the dentist and request that for most procedures. With that you do not have to have someone drive you home and you don't have to fast before the procedure.

What’s that like?  I’ve seen patients use it on tv and they seem really relaxed.  

Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

What’s that like?  I’ve seen patients use it on tv and they seem really relaxed.  

It's hard to describe. You are aware of everything but just seem...disconnected  is the best way to describe it. It is an anesthesia, I think , I request it before the shots and I usually do not feel the pain of the needle. My insurance does not cover it and I am more than happy to pay the extra money. I tell the dentist it make life easier for you and me.

• LOL 1
53 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

In my personal experience, when I get it I feel like I've had about 2 martinis.  Since fear and stress cause pain to be amplified, it probably helps by that route, not to mention even if it hurts, you don't really give a shit because you're so buzzed. And the best part?  No hangover!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, cynicat said:

In my personal experience, when I get it I feel like I've had about 2 martinis.  Since fear and stress cause pain to be amplified, it probably helps by that route, not to mention even if it hurts, you don't really give a shit because you're so buzzed. And the best part?  No hangover!

I had a good friend who had a more...interesting..life than I had say it was the best legal high she ever had.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I wish I had gone for that instead of light sedation for my second eyelid surgery.  They wanted me to be able to close and open my eyes during the procedure, but it was ridiculous. I really believe someone stole my drugs and I got nothing but saline in the line. Lol. I was completely awake, aware and felt it all. I asked them to give me more local injections in my eyelids, due to the pain. It was weird. My first eyelids surgery I was totally out and had no memory, though they tell me I was awake.  A few weeks later I had to have a revision on one eyelid and I ditched the sedation/hospital route and just had local in the office.  🥴 Needles in the eyelids were the only thing that hurt. 

When Dr. Lee gives those injections, she acts like they don’t hurt much. I suspect it depends on the location. I know that those around the eyes, mouth and in the finger hurt. 😫  

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Why is TLC giving Dr. Lee competition with Dr, Mercy?

It's probably not so much "competition" as having a show to fill in after a full season of Dr. Pimple Popper. Dr. Lee's fans won't give up on her show. 😍

• Love 3

I’m always taken aback when Dr. Lee comments on how her hands get tired and she can only do so many pops.  That seems odd to me.  Doctors develop hand strength. Surgeons operate for hours.  It doesn’t appear to be that strenuous on the hands….idk.  

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m always taken aback when Dr. Lee comments on how her hands get tired and she can only do so many pops.  That seems odd to me.  Doctors develop hand strength. Surgeons operate for hours.  It doesn’t appear to be that strenuous on the hands….idk.  

Surgeons can & do operate for hours....However, in major cases there are TWO surgeons, primary & assistant...plus the OR staff...Dr. Lee is popping along alone with her MA, who rarely does the actually popping

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Why is TLC giving Dr. Lee competition with Dr, Mercy?

I don't really see it as competition, as there seem to be an endless number of people needing help, that isn't available to those without money.
Look at all the home remodeling shows, and other types.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

2 hours ago, CrazyMoon said:

Surgeons can & do operate for hours....However, in major cases there are TWO surgeons, primary & assistant...plus the OR staff...Dr. Lee is popping along alone with her MA, who rarely does the actually popping

And she's not talking a few pops, or even 10-20.  It's on the cases where there are hundreds.  She'll get 50 plus (or even more, I think).  And yes, some of them are hard to pinch out. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

And she's not talking a few pops, or even 10-20.  It's on the cases where there are hundreds.  She'll get 50 plus (or even more, I think).  And yes, some of them are hard to pinch out. 

Keep in mind that Dr. Lee is a small woman. I can totally understand how her fingers/hands would get sore and/or cramped doing so many pops. I am small boned, with a size 3 ring finger, and I have trouble twisting the lid off a water bottle.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, MissT said:

Was a bit under-whelmed with Dr. Mercy. It was mindless tv.   I'll stick with Dr. Lee.  

They kept showing the ages of the patients.  I figured out that when lipoma guy got together with his baby mama (her term), he was 37 and she was 14!!!!  

I was underwhelmed with the show as well.  I don't need a doctor who cries with every patient.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

They kept showing the ages of the patients.  I figured out that when lipoma guy got together with his baby mama (her term), he was 37 and she was 14!!!!  

I was underwhelmed with the show as well.  I don't need a doctor who cries with every patient.

OMG, I know -- I thought I read the screen wrong when they provided her age! They said she was 35 correct?

• Love 4

We just had our annual checkups with our dermatologist.  We discuss important stuff like Dr. Pimple Popper and Dr. Mercy while he's examining us with a magnifying light.

He said that in Arizona, insurance companies now require that anything larger than a 3cm lipoma must be removed at a surgical center, not in the doctor's office.  That's somewhere between 1.25 and 1.5 inches.  The primary reason for this is the amount of lydocaine that must be used for larger lipomas can affect heart rhythm, etc.

No way that Dr. Mercy should have taken off that 19 pound lipoma in her office.  The patient should have been put under a light sedation in addition to the surface injections.

My doctor also said that he is part of a medical page where Dr. Lee sometimes provides information about the show to other medical professionals.  Most of the patients we see have waited for years because they have no insurance.  And the release they have to sign to be treated for the show absolves Dr. Lee of ANY liability for complications or death from the treatments.

• Useful 5
16 hours ago, AZChristian said:
17 hours ago, MissT said:

Was a bit under-whelmed with Dr. Mercy. It was mindless tv.   I'll stick with Dr. Lee.  

NOTE:  My bolding.    Yeah!  Calling Dr. Lee's production staff.  Calling Dr. Lee's producers!  We need more MEDICAL content ... less filler (Judge Judy™)... too much conversation, history, etc.  Hope someone showes these comments to Dr. Lee.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, readheaded said:

Agreed. Plus, did we really need another dermatologist? 

Actually, why not?  There are plenty of people needing help apparently.
And we've lots of home remodelers and people with a shitload of kids, so why not another dermatologist?

• Love 10
7 hours ago, auntjess said:

Actually, why not?  There are plenty of people needing help apparently.
And we've lots of home remodelers and people with a shitload of kids, so why not another dermatologist?

Excellent point.  There are 2 other shows , Dr. Emma and Save My Skin, and another one (I haven't seen in awhile) called When Skin Goes Wrong.  I'll never get enough pilar cyst pops!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I'm always fine with another dermatology show to watch, so happy to have Dr Mercy join the crew. I am kind of hoping that, like Dr Emma, her show branches out to other skin conditions beyond cysts, lypomas and rhinothymas. I like seeing eczema and other new conditions too.

• Love 3

There was a guy with a leg rash/ulcer on his leg and another one on his arm that Dr. Lee said were normally caused by diabetes but there was no treatment.  My sister had a reaction to pokeweed that looked just like them (treated with steroids).  This made me realize that I haven't heard her ask any patients what sorts of plants they've been around. Even a slight brush against it while walking the dog could have an effect. And many of her patients don't live in the area and she may not know about all the various plant toxicities and how they vary from season to season.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, deirdra said:

There was a guy with a leg rash/ulcer on his leg and another one on his arm that Dr. Lee said were normally caused by diabetes but there was no treatment. 

She'd had biopsies done on both areas.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, deirdra said:

There was a guy with a leg rash/ulcer on his leg and another one on his arm that Dr. Lee said were normally caused by diabetes but there was no treatment.  My sister had a reaction to pokeweed that looked just like them (treated with steroids).  This made me realize that I haven't heard her ask any patients what sorts of plants they've been around. Even a slight brush against it while walking the dog could have an effect. And many of her patients don't live in the area and she may not know about all the various plant toxicities and how they vary from season to season.

I'm pretty sure she, and most if not all dermatologists,  know what all the rashes from vegetation look like unless they present in a completely non-traditional way.  That's kind of basic stuff.

As @auntjess said, she did biopsies and I believe it was necrobiosis lipoidica?  Not 100% sure though.

• Love 3