Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Pimple Popper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I got the seven-day free trial that I'll be cancelling before I get charged for the month. I wanted to see last week's episode of Dr. PP. 🤷‍♀️ We watched a couple of semi-interesting paranormal specials. That's it, though. I'm out after tomorrow night's episode! I mean it!😂

• Love 2

I just got clued in to the show having moved exclusively to Discovery+, which is both disappointing and confusing. Seems like such an odd strategy to move it partway through a new season, let alone expect viewers to start paying additionally for it when it's been established as a TLC show included in your cable. Curious what data (if any) made the powers that be decide that Dr. Pimple Popper was worth the risk and that its viewers would be willing to follow it over to Discovery+, while other TLC shows like 90 Day Fianceé are staying on the channel (for now).

Maybe they'll eventually show the reruns of the Discovery+ exclusive episodes on TLC after a period - hopefully so since Discovery+ isn't even offered in Canada, so I can't watch the show now even if I wanted to.

• Love 1

I just watched this week's episode. I have to say, I like being able to fast-forward through the unnecessary backstories and handwringing. I was previously watching on the TLC app on my Firestick via my mom's DirecTV login, so I had to sit through commercials and couldn't rewind or fast-forward.

I have discovered (heh) that HGTV's Good Bones appears to have moved exclusively to discovery+, and I am not amused. It's the one show I watch on HGTV (via the Firestick HGTV app). I guess I'll have to wait until the next season is over and get another seven-day free trial to discovery+ and watch everything at once. I hate this so much.

Back to Dr. PP. The mother of the psoriasis patient angered me. She "couldn't" wear a mask and then wouldn't watch the doctor inject her daughter because she "can't stand needles". How was she supposed to give her daughter injections at home?

I'm fairly ticked off about TLC taking shows that viewers made popular and moving them to Discovery + so we can be charged twice. I think I'm going to see if dropping it from my cable means TLC gets - you know, like .0000000000000000000000000000000000000001 cent less from me - just on principle, as someone else said. I will miss seeing Dr. Lee squeeze goo and gunk out of things; why do I like that so much?)

• Love 8
12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Back to Dr. PP. The mother of the psoriasis patient angered me. She "couldn't" wear a mask and then wouldn't watch the doctor inject her daughter because she "can't stand needles". How was she supposed to give her daughter injections at home?

It sounded like the mom had a legitimate reason why she couldn't wear a mask--some kind of lung condition.  Dr. Lee mentioned that the daughter would be getting the injections from a local doctor, she's not giving them herself.  

The twin sisters with the honking big pilar cysts on their heads?  Those were awesome!

On 1/26/2021 at 11:53 AM, sempervivum said:

Hmm. Seems like this would open up a lot of opportunities for some smaller 'free' network. Find their own dermatologist with a cute personality and see how fast most viewers will switch to the cheaper alternative. Personally, I was watching for the procedures, not for Dr. Lee, jmo.

Discovery probably missed their best shot at getting the premium channel up at the right time. If they had come out with it last spring or summer, it would have been an easier sell to the house-bound masses. Now? shrug

There are more Podiatry and pimple popping on YouTube. I would put them in the suggestions for new shows but don't quite understand how to do that anymore since we left TWOP.

DC Doctor

Jaws Podiatry ( the doctor gives the impression that some of his patients could end up in his basement)

Dr. Sadek 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/1/2021 at 1:24 PM, bamlouie said:

Maybe they'll eventually show the reruns of the Discovery+ exclusive episodes on TLC after a period - hopefully so since Discovery+ isn't even offered in Canada, so I can't watch the show now even if I wanted to.

She has lots on youtube, and posts some to Facebook.  If you go to youtube, you'll find other dermatologists also posting, several from UK.
(I do avoid the amateurs.)

On 2/1/2021 at 4:53 PM, bilgistic said:

I just watched this week's episode. I have to say, I like being able to fast-forward through the unnecessary backstories and handwringing. I was previously watching on the TLC app on my Firestick via my mom's DirecTV login, so I had to sit through commercials and couldn't rewind or fast-forward.

I always record on cable, so can do that anyway.  I have all her cable shows saved on my DVR.

On 2/1/2021 at 8:45 PM, JeanJean said:

I will miss seeing Dr. Lee squeeze goo and gunk out of things; why do I like that so much?)

Again, lots of goodies on youtube, hers and others.
Plus, you all might try Audiologist UK, he's on Facebook & youtube, and does earwax removal.

It's Audiology Associates Ltd

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

She has lots on youtube, and posts some to Facebook.  If you go to youtube, you'll find other dermatologists also posting, several from UK.
(I do avoid the amateurs.)

I always record on cable, so can do that anyway.  I have all her cable shows saved on my DVR.

Again, lots of goodies on youtube, hers and others.
Plus, you all might try Audiologist UK, he's on Facebook & youtube, and does earwax removal.

The earwax removal is amazing. Didn’t even know that could be done.

• Love 2
On 2/2/2021 at 3:41 PM, bilgistic said:

I missed that part; thanks!

If they have insurance, that will only fly for so long because the insurance isn’t going to pay a doctor or nurse or anyone for something that can be done at home for free. I’d have rather never given my own son shots.  It’s kinda awful to have to be that person to your kid, especially on a regular basis. 

• Love 1

I gave my late cat weekly B-12 injections and daily subcutaneous fluids at home (he had irritable bowel disease, pancreatitis and kidney disease), which was definitely very scary at first, but I did it because it was WAY less expensive at home and way less stressful than taking him to the vet every time. So I give a hard side eye to parents of humans who "can't" give a single shot once every month or three to a school-aged child who clearly understands the benefit of the shot.

And while I'm being judgmental, it's been well established and proven by now that mask-wearing doesn't affect respiration or oxygen level, even in folks with breathing conditions.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I gave my late cat weekly B-12 injections and daily subcutaneous fluids at home (he had irritable bowel disease, pancreatitis and kidney disease), which was definitely very scary at first, but I did it because it was WAY less expensive at home and way less stressful than taking him to the vet every time. So I give a hard side eye to parents of humans who "can't" give a single shot once every month or three to a school-aged child who clearly understands the benefit of the shot.

And while I'm being judgmental, it's been well established and proven by now that mask-wearing doesn't affect respiration or oxygen level, even in folks with breathing conditions.

I hear that to an extent.  I had to give my kid shots every week of a drug that made him really nauseated for a day or two.  It got to the point where just smelling the alcohol pad would make him vomit.   Before they made citrate-free Humira, we know parents who had to give their kids a Humira shot weekly or every other week, and those shots were so painful that it required icing the injection site well beforehand.  It really just depends on the situation.  Knowing the need for the shot doesn't make it any less painful or take away any side effects of the drug for the child.  Having a medical person who isn't part of your daily life give a shot can help the child compartmentalize the experience as something that happens outside the comfort of home.

• Love 4
On 1/31/2021 at 11:51 PM, auntjess said:

It's just so crappy that they took all of the good shows, like ID's See No Evil.
I hope the cable companies sue the pants off them.

Comcast probably won't care because so many people also have them for internet service, they're getting paid when people stream, too.  Comcast has been telling people in our area for about the past year to swap out cable boxes for Roku and then stream Comcast's channels, and now they've raised the price for the streaming.  Unfortunately, there are no other high-speed internet providers in our area, so we have no choice, especially now that my husband and I are working from home and my son is doing virtual school.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/29/2021 at 10:54 PM, mamadrama said:

I broke down and got Discovery+, but only because I don't have cable. I watch a ton of TLC, Discovery, HGTV, ID, etc. I was paying $20 a month for Philo, but Discovery+ let me cancel that and now my bill is less. I'm able to access most of my shows (90DF, MBFFL, M600PL, Pimple Popper, etc) but I'm also enjoying having access to a lot of the older crime shows. It works for me but if you already have a service that gives you want you want then it's probably not worth it. 

I'm enjoying Discovery+.  I'm binge watching the tiny house shows which I didn't get because I didn't have DIY Network, and I'm enjoying the Magnolia Network shows so far.  I'm confused as to why I haven't been able to see the new 90 Day Fiance and Maine Cabin Master shows though. I also watched a show about container homes yesterday which was interesting. 

If you pay for cable you are already paying to watch shows. I need to cancel mine but it is hard to break off a decades long relationship even though it has been abusive for years!  Lol. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, RoxiP said:

If you pay for cable you are already paying to watch shows.

Yes, however from what I understand, new episodes of Pimple Popper, Property Bros, etc. are only available on Discovery +.  Those who stick with cable or who won't subscribe to D+ (me!) don't get to see these new episodes.  I wouldn't be surprised if pretty soon every channel will only be available for a monthly fee.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Thanks!  I ESPECIALLY LIKE missing the person's story!!!

If you go to youtube, some of hers are there (I don't pay to subscribe), and you'll also see other dermatologists, so plenty of pops.
(And to be honest, I probably wouldn't know if I'm watching a blackhead or DPOW (my new favorite), that I've seen before.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Do you all think shows will be shown like after they re shown on D+? Like some apps only show in retro and not brand new episodes. Good Girls cn be watched on some appls, just not the latest episodes.

If I'm understanding what you're asking, only the old seasons of Dr. PP and the first four (I think) episodes of season five are still on TLC...for now. Everything including the old seasons and new content after season five, episode four has moved to d+ now and forever. Well, maybe not forever, but until and unless something changes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

If I'm understanding what you're asking, only the old seasons of Dr. PP and the first four (I think) episodes of season five are still on TLC...for now. Everything including the old seasons and new content after season five, episode four has moved to d+ now and forever. Well, maybe not forever, but until and unless something changes.

Thank you, bilgistic. 

2 hours ago, auntjess said:

If you go to youtube, some of hers are there (I don't pay to subscribe), and you'll also see other dermatologists, so plenty of pops.
(And to be honest, I probably wouldn't know if I'm watching a blackhead or DPOW (my new favorite), that I've seen before.)

What’s a DPOW?

• Useful 2
14 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

What’s a DPOW?

Google took me to YouTube...which said, "Dilated Pore of Winer(DPOW) is a giant open comedo commonly found on the trunk or the face. They are essentially larger than a blackhead but appear to be very close in appearance."    ICK!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
10 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Google took me to YouTube...which said, "Dilated Pore of Winer(DPOW) is a giant open comedo commonly found on the trunk or the face. They are essentially larger than a blackhead but appear to be very close in appearance."    ICK!

They look like an over-dilated black head...with what seems like a pebble, the usually soft stuff hardens to the pebble-like consistency because the pore is so open. Usually have to be surgically removed so's not to damage the surrounding tissues.

• Useful 2
1 minute ago, CrazyMoon said:

They look like an over-dilated black head...with what seems like a pebble, the usually soft stuff hardens to the pebble-like consistency because the pore is so open. Usually have to be surgically removed so's not to damage the surrounding tissues.

14 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Thank you both. I think those are my faves. Kind of over the puffy stuff... kinda

• Love 2

I almost got the 7 day free trial of Discovery Plus, but decided against it.  I’m fed up with pay streaming channels.  At home  I have cable that includes TLC.  My other place only has WiFi so, I have Amazon and a few more. I’m so sick of them. This is my last month of all but Amazon video and music, unless it’s free.  I figure Amazon is  free due to the free shipping.  I find I spend more time looking for something to watch than actually watching on these pay streaming channels.  It’s just not worth it to me anymore.  I’d rather have cable.  That’s overpriced too, but easier to watch.  So, I guess I won’t see Dr, PP in the traditional way anymore.  I’ll come by here to read about it.  

I wonder who thought that moving certain shows to Discovery Plus would make it work.....I don’t think it was a wise idea.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder who thought that moving certain shows to Discovery Plus would make it work.....I don’t think it was a wise idea.  

Given that Discovery Plus went on sale within a month after its launch, I think Discovery is also finding it might not have been a wise idea.  I suspect they over-estimated how many people are desperate enough to pay extra for more garbage shows.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Given that Discovery Plus went on sale within a month after its launch, I think Discovery is also finding it might not have been a wise idea.  I suspect they over-estimated how many people are desperate enough to pay extra for more garbage shows.

I agree!  I've been looking for a reason to stop watching "my trashy shows," and TLC/Discovery have started the weaning.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I agree!  I've been looking for a reason to stop watching "my trashy shows," and TLC/Discovery have started the weaning.

I may not stop completely, but the line in the sand is that I will not pay extra for them.  If they go to D+, I'm done with them.

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I may not stop completely, but the line in the sand is that I will not pay extra for them.  If they go to D+, I'm done with them.

I completely agree with you!  Just signed up for my annual re-up with Cox (bundle), and for what I pay I'm SURELY not going to keep digging from the financial well for the new discovery + channel.  

I think they made a very big gamble (like Fox did with their subscription channel that turned out to be a big BUST) and they are going to be greatly disappointed with the revenue they are able to generate in the long run.

• Love 6

100% agreed! I'll pay my 10 bucks a month to enjoy a Disney movie when the mood strikes, but although HGTV, Food Network, Discovery etc are the bulk of my tv watching, they're mostly interesting chatter and I'm not paying that plus my cable, plus possibly a new tv (Disney + doesn't work on my current 'smart' tv) for something that is mostly background noise. 

• Love 2

For those wanting to try Discovery+, try using the code HOLIDAY2020. The redeem code box is at the top of the page. It will ask you to create an account, but it does not require  credit card/payment info. The offer is ad-free for a year, free!  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Same here.  Holidays are sort of over now.

All that promo gave you was the $6.99 package for $4.99, it's not free.  Am I seriously the only person who is watching this on D+?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, cynicat said:

All that promo gave you was the $6.99 package for $4.99, it's not free.  Am I seriously the only person who is watching this on D+?

I used the promo code last night (Thursday), and it worked. Free for one year, expires 3/4/22 and ad-free. Sorry it didn’t work for anyone else. 

• Useful 1

I thought the woman whom wanted to keep her huge holes in her ears was ridiculous.  She will no doubt start trying to make them bigger and be back for surgical repair.  IMO she's way over the age where that kind of body distortion is even remotely cool (not that I think it ever was).  

She kind of makes a mockery of the people whom truly could be helped by Dr Lee.

• Love 2
On 3/5/2021 at 1:18 PM, sixlets said:

I used the promo code last night (Thursday), and it worked. Free for one year, expires 3/4/22 and ad-free. Sorry it didn’t work for anyone else. 

I’m going to try it this weekend. Tks. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
37 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Let us know if it works for you. I could go for a free year, but will never pay for it!

Right.  Me either.  I’m trying to figure out when you enter a promo code....hmmmm...I’ll figure it out I guess.  

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ref. Discovery+.  I can’t find a way to insert a promotion code.  Does the option appear after you provide email address?

I believe this promo only ran for one day, which was the day I originally posted it.  But, in case you want to try it, the redeem code is in the top right corner.162521844_10157961710683017_72818105285006956_n.thumb.jpg.7084a63f039bbcf1f077a52f84177a06.jpg

10 minutes ago, sixlets said:

I believe this promo only ran for one day, which was the day I originally posted it.  But, in case you want to try it, the redeem code is in the top right corner.162521844_10157961710683017_72818105285006956_n.thumb.jpg.7084a63f039bbcf1f077a52f84177a06.jpg

Hmmm..I don’t get redeem code option. I’ll play around with it tomorrow. 

On 4/5/2021 at 10:57 AM, roughing it said:

I'm curious how many viewers have been lost due to moving everything over to D+?

I think perhaps it's the older generation like me that may not go for all this subscription stuff.   I have DISH already.  I pay for Netflix.  I pay for Apple music.  And that's it.  As much as I liked Outlander I didn't pay for Starz just to watch it when it came out.  Same with Doc Martin and Heartland.   I don't even do Amazon prime.  

If I paid for all these subscription services I'd be paying $200 a month. 

• Love 5

This is exactly it. My dad is only 73, but he turns on the TV to the Golf Channel or the Military Channel and just watches. He doesn't want to have to look for something to watch or remember what's on where. My mom (71) watches Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Acorn (British programming) and other apps on her Firestick, but she is computer literate. My dad was a machinist. My sister and I all share our logins. There's not a duplicate account among any of us.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm old, but I'm devoted to my DVR, and rarely watch anything live.
I spend a lot of time looking at schedules, and fitting things in.  
I have U-verse, and package has internet and wifi.  
I still watch Dr. PP videos on Facebook and youtube, and have most of her earlier shows on DVR.
When you come down to it, once she goes in for the close-up, one cyst or DPOW (my favorites), are pretty much like another one.

Edited by auntjess
Wanted to add: if you're doing youtubes or Facebook, also look at Audiology UK, the earwax removal videos.
  • Love 3