Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Dr. Pimple Popper

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I can’t figure out what is going on with this show. We get a couple of new episodes, then two repeats, and according to my DVR next week is a repeat too.

It's disappointing that they are being packaged as new and the DVR records them, but they are repeats with a tiny "new" segment.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

On 8/17/2019 at 9:45 AM, Rickster said:

I can’t figure out what is going on with this show. We get a couple of new episodes, then two repeats, and according to my DVR next week is a repeat too.

I'm sending an email expressing my displeasure with TLC at how they have aired 2 new episodes then resumed with reruns.  Not smart, imo. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Weirdly, a Google search turns up summaries of at least three more new episodes with supposed airing dates in August. I wonder why they were pulled/delayed?

edit to add: the summaries seemed to be of truly new shows, not recycled shows with a couple of added minutes.

Edited by Rickster
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Weirdly, a Google search turns up summaries of at least three more new episodes with supposed airing dates in August. I wonder why they were pulled/delayed?

That is odd. The other day I saw that my DVR was scheduled to record another episode but at some oddball time. I assumed it was another one with recycled content. I've now just deleted this show altogether from my list of shows to record. Even by specifying "new episodes only" the DVR has recorded what seemed like hours of recycled stuff. I still like the show but I'm over these scheduling shenanigans.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I checked yesterday on the On Demand menu, and for Season 3, it listed only 4 shows available to watch.  Season 2 had 10 shows.  So definitely something weird is going on with this show.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

This show suddenly appeared on my DVR, so I guess it's back, but it's season 4 episode 3, so it's at least out of order. No idea what's going on.

They are spending waaaay too much time with the people talking about their problems, I don't remember them spending this much time before. I actually just FF'd through the background crap because once I find out what the problem is, I don't care about the rest of the crap.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Agreed. And I don't really care about her interaction with the office staff, or her husband (who doesn't seem to want to be on the show - so leave him alone). Nothing against anyone - just get to the procedures and cut the filler. No pun intended lol. 

Edited by seasons
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I notice this with most US shows that are reality docs - they start out all about what you're watching for, and then slowly devolve into showcasing either the people or the "star" of the show until the actual surgery/issue stuff is maybe 20% of what you see. It's SO annoying.

I honestly don't care about the people who come on the show - I care about their ailment.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I agree they should cut down the patients' backstories a lot.  Like it should take 2 minutes or less - describe the issue and how it affects them as they show some film of it and be done.  Not 10 minutes of saying basically the same thing, or adding lots of examples (e.g. showing 10 shirts that don't hide the lump, etc).  However, I do like seeing some of the interactions with the rest of the staff, as long as it doesn't take over the show. 🙂 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Agree with all of you, too much back story.  That being said, a 12.9 lb lipoma?  How the fuck do you ignore that? 

Also, the guy with psoriasis: didn't he say he had insurance issues?  I took that to mean that his insurance wouldn't pay for a monoclonal treatment.  I can't imagine his doctor was unaware of the treatments available--they're almost standard of care at this point.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I cancelled my DVR recording for this series several months ago. It was set for "new episodes only" but FFS I kept getting recordings of recycled sh*t that I'd already seen at least twice!

So, is there any new content now in these so-called "new" episodes? And by that I mean, patients we haven't seen before?

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Some of those lipomas are so incredibly large i am surprised they don't require surgery in the hospital. 

Patients irritate me when they have these growths festering for years and then some seem ticked off that dr sandra requires a cat scan. 

So much about the show is pissing me off but I'm in. Also in for the foot doctor show. Jan 2 big day of premieres on tlc. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I'm gonna sit this season out because of the amount of filler and backstories. I trust you guys to let me know if anything particularly gnarly happens!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/27/2019 at 12:15 AM, GaT said:

This show suddenly appeared on my DVR, so I guess it's back, but it's season 4 episode 3, so it's at least out of order. No idea what's going on.

They are spending waaaay too much time with the people talking about their problems, I don't remember them spending this much time before. I actually just FF'd through the background crap because once I find out what the problem is, I don't care about the rest of the crap.

This Thursday episode was a little different. I'm hoping next week goes back to a more normal format.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, cynicat said:

Agree with all of you, too much back story.  That being said, a 12.9 lb lipoma?  How the fuck do you ignore that? 

Also, the guy with psoriasis: didn't he say he had insurance issues?  I took that to mean that his insurance wouldn't pay for a monoclonal treatment.  I can't imagine his doctor was unaware of the treatments available--they're almost standard of care at this point.

Biologics are really expensive and insurance, depending on the plan, often don't cover them.  Even "good" insurance requires a ton of justification to cover them.  2 of my kids have Crohn's and I regularly hear from other parents that their insurance won't cover biologics (which have become a gold standard in treatment and have shown to reduce the need for surgery) at all or require massive amounts of steroids be used instead of biologics, despite the steroids having horrible side-effects and not being for long-term maintenance.  Every 6 months, my kids' doctor has to continue to justify and prove that Remicade works for my kids, even though they've been on it for 6 years. Unfortunately, I can see insurance companies arguing that psoriasis is largely "cosmetic", although it's painfully obvious that it can be debilitating.  

I noticed that Dr. Lee uses Cosentyx a good deal on her show, as opposed to other biologics and that Cosentyx advertises during the show.  I wonder if they have a deal worked out?  Cosentyx is probably a practical choice for the patients on the show because it's self-administered (which also makes is a cheaper choice because no infusion center is needed), but what happens if a patient on the show doesn't respond to Cosentyx?  

  • Like 4
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, readheaded said:

I noticed that Dr. Lee uses Cosentyx a good deal on her show, as opposed to other biologics and that Cosentyx advertises during the show.  I wonder if they have a deal worked out?  Cosentyx is probably a practical choice for the patients on the show because it's self-administered (which also makes is a cheaper choice because no infusion center is needed), but what happens if a patient on the show doesn't respond to Cosentyx?  

So back to my point, he said he had insurance issues.  She only gave him a month's worth of product and I can't believe his own MD didn't try to prescribe him mAbs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, cynicat said:

So back to my point, he said he had insurance issues.  She only gave him a month's worth of product and I can't believe his own MD didn't try to prescribe him mAbs.

I didn't think it was unusual that she only gave him a month's worth of the drug.  She gave him enough to see if he was going to respond.  Why give him thousands of dollars worth of a medicine when they didn't know if it was going to work?  And, back to my point, his own doctor probably didn't prescribe it because his insurance probably doesn't cover it (or the ones they do cover didn't work) but the makers of Cosentyx might have a deal with Dr. Lee to keep providing him the medicine in exchange for the advertising. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

OK, I just saw a commercial for the new season of this show & it starts on 1/2. I have no idea what the shows they're showing now are, are they leftover from previous seasons?

Share this post


Link to post

I saw a preview show last week, but tonight is mostly all new. The new toe show is next. Looks fascinating.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Tonight's episode was pretty good! Still too much filler on the background of the patients.

Did I miss the diagnosis for the facial lesion on the older man with the nose lesion? It did look like a skin cancer...

I'm way on board for the foot doctor show! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, seasons said:

Tonight's episode was pretty good! Still too much filler on the background of the patients.

Did I miss the diagnosis for the facial lesion on the older man with the nose lesion? It did look like a skin cancer...

I'm way on board for the foot doctor show! 

I agree with you about there being too much backstory.
 

The guy with the fat sack hanging from his thigh had me talking back to the TV! It grew for six months? Why would he let it get that far? It’s not like it didn’t get in his way every day. Also, why wouldn’t you tape that thing down with gauze, or something? Argh. 

I hope they do a follow up with the woman with face bumps. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, seasons said:

Did I miss the diagnosis for the facial lesion on the older man with the nose lesion? It did look like a skin cancer...

 

Not yet. She just took the biopsy and then it ended. I assume he'll be on the next episode or another one soon. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, 7isBlue said:

I agree with you about there being too much backstory.
 

The guy with the fat sack hanging from his thigh had me talking back to the TV! It grew for six months? Why would he let it get that far? It’s not like it didn’t get in his way every day. Also, why wouldn’t you tape that thing down with gauze, or something? Argh. 

I hope they do a follow up with the woman with face bumps. 

I was even thinking that compression shorts/underwear could have helped.  

  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think there is a lot going on with some of these patients that may not be revealed.  I suspect that things like depression, social anxiety, ignorance, etc.  come into play, in addiction to lack of funds and insurance coverage.  It's a sad situation.  When I see the gratitude and relief on their face....it is heartbreaking.  So many people are suffering across this country who could be helped.  At least Dr. Lee is doing her part.  Dr. Lee is good at her job, but, not just because she is a fine doctor, but, because she understands people.  That is very valuable gift and not the kind of thing that can be learned.  It's often intuitive. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 18
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

15 hours ago, christine falls said:

Not yet. She just took the biopsy and then it ended. I assume he'll be on the next episode or another one soon. 

Yeah the showed a scene where the daughter tells Dr. "I disagree" it wasn't in the show. Maybe in tonight's Supersized ?

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I really thought we were looking at that guy's balls when they showed the previews, I was completely shocked LOL

The poor woman with the bumps on her face looked better, but she still looked pretty bad.

I hope they plan on continuing the nose guy's story so we find out if he has cancer.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

They're definitely plan to continue to show nose guy's story. I would also like to see more of the woman with face bumps.

I couldn't believe guy with the nose bumps, etc. hadn't tried to get those nose bumps removed.  The woman with the face bumps had tried a lot of things that hadn't worked yet. The leg lump hadn't been there too long and it wasn't life threatening. But the nose guy had skin issues that affected not only his appearance, but also his ability to breathe. Breathing is important!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

 I really want to see the woman with the face bumps further along than just four weeks—she’s barely healed.  I can see a difference and I think removing the bumps helped re-shape her nose. But I’d like to see how it looks without all the scabbing.  

 Also is anyone else wondering if Dr. Lee walks around with her phone recording video all the time???? otherwise why was she recording video when that driver with the nose thing picked her up??? 

 I ended up watching the super sized version of the episode while I was doing some other things and I almost wish I hadn’t...because the supersized elements were just more backstory on the patients!! Booooo! I really did not need to know what the grandmother who raised the guy with the extra mock testicle hanging off of his leg thought about his problem nor did I need to hear him discuss his sex life with his girlfriend in front of their four-year-old child.  I would, however, love to know the grandmother’s recipe for fried chicken because it looked delicious and left me craving some. Oh I also didn’t need to watch the lady with the bumps on her face examine her daughters face for bumps while standing in their kitchen. 

Edited by PityFree
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, PityFree said:

 I ended up watching the super sized version of the episode while I was doing some other things and I almost wish I hadn’t.

Thanks for the heads up.  I recorded both, but will now just delete the super-sized one.  Dr PP ones used to have extra pops.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thank goodness for the DVR and the FF key. I skipped almost all of the footage of the guy with the extra scrotum. And most of the backstories of the other two. I can take care of my weekly watch of this series in probably less than 15 minutes. I feel sorry for the two patients with the obvious facial lumps. I wish them both well. The scrotum dude seemed all too fond of flaunting it on camera so yeah I'm glad he got it removed and now he can just go away.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 1/4/2020 at 3:55 PM, PityFree said:

Also is anyone else wondering if Dr. Lee walks around with her phone recording video all the time???? otherwise why was she recording video when that driver with the nose thing picked her up???

Yeah, that seemed a little suspicious to me.

ETA:  In the new episode, they replayed the scene of her getting in his car, and I noticed a big bag sitting in the middle of the back seat.  That wasn't her first entry into that car.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/5/2020 at 10:03 AM, Jeeves said:

Thank goodness for the DVR and the FF key.

This^^  I had seen the woman from Idaho on a preview so I just hit FF thru it as she was boring the first time.  I have the same complaint about her treatment as I do about the woman with all the lumps on her neck.  It seemed like both would be excellent candidates for follow-up treatments.  The neck person lives in Sacramento ( about 6 hours away) so I think a return trip or two wouldn't be difficult.   Both looked better, but it seemed like there was more that could be done. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

 It felt like there was less patient background in this latest episode  and that made me happy.  They still need to refrain from putting Dr. Lee’s staff on camera—none of them seem like they really want to be on camera.

I was impressed with that little trick for using a triangle of skin from a different part of the cheek to cover the skin cancer scar of the older man. He looked so much better. 

22 hours ago, Twopper said:

This^^  I had seen the woman from Idaho on a preview so I just hit FF thru it as she was boring the first time.  I have the same complaint about her treatment as I do about the woman with all the lumps on her neck.  It seemed like both would be excellent candidates for follow-up treatments.  The neck person lives in Sacramento ( about 6 hours away) so I think a return trip or two wouldn't be difficult.   Both looked better, but it seemed like there was more that could be done. 

I agree.  Many of these patients deserve a second or even third treatment to help fix their issues. I think it would be worth it for the show to spend the money bringing the people back because I think viewers would be interested in seeing them helped as completely as possible.  

 In the previews they showed a gentleman from the first episode in season 1 who had a hump on the top of his back who returns to Dr. Lee.  I remember his problem being much more complicated than just a simple skin issue (It was a leak in his lymphatic system or something, IIRC) I’m really hoping that she has arranged for him to get real help.

Edited by PityFree
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/11/2020 at 6:58 AM, PityFree said:

Many of these patients deserve a second or even third treatment to help fix their issues.

I was glad to see the guy with the giant lump on his back that Dr Lee drained back, & I was happy that she found someone to do his surgery free of charge. I'm just surprised that we didn't get to see that doctor.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, GaT said:

I was glad to see the guy with the giant lump on his back that Dr Lee drained back, & I was happy that she found someone to do his surgery free of charge. I'm just surprised that we didn't get to see that doctor.

Not all surgeons are willing to be exposed like that...I used to work for a group of vascular surgeons...the "face" of the practice did all of the PR stuff...sometimes they would pose for a group photo, but it was usually the 'face'...and they were all very personable and pleasant, just not into publicity.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, GaT said:

I was glad to see the guy with the giant lump on his back that Dr Lee drained back, & I was happy that she found someone to do his surgery free of charge. I'm just surprised that we didn't get to see that doctor.

I was just glad that Delano finally got that fixed.  I'd like to see updates on him, and a few others from time to time, because their lives had been really hurt by their condition.
 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/17/2020 at 2:43 PM, GaT said:

I was glad to see the guy with the giant lump on his back that Dr Lee drained back, & I was happy that she found someone to do his surgery free of charge. 

I was, too. But the sad part is that, had it not been for a TV show, Delano would still be walking around with that awful thing on his back because he couldn't afford insurance to get it removed on his own.

  • Like 6
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, ninjakid said:

This show is an indictment of the American medical system. 

It's very sad that these people can't get treatment.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, oakville said:

It's very sad that these people can't get treatment.

Yup. I said it before but Dr. Lee would not have a show if we had a decent system of medical care in the United States that covered everyone.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Part of the problem though, is that people can afford and do go to a doctor, who blows them off with "it's just cosmetic."
And have we seen the show where the woman says "I disagree?"  It's in a teaser/promo sometimes.

 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

9 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Part of the problem though, is that people can afford and do go to a doctor, who blows them off with "it's just cosmetic."
And have we seen the show where the woman says "I disagree?"  It's in a teaser/promo sometimes.

 

As well as not having the confidence to disagree with the doctor to his/her face. There can be a real intimidation factor in dealing with physicians...Some can't even say they want a second opinion.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, auntjess said:

Part of the problem though, is that people can afford and do go to a doctor, who blows them off with "it's just cosmetic."

And if it is deemed to be "just cosmetic" by a doctor, insurance usually won't pay for it.  It has to be "medically necessary."  A lot of what we see on DPP should be approved as "medically necessary" if a doctor submits documentation to an insurance company (before a procedure) because it is a "quality of life" issue.  

I suspect that a lot of these people are on medicaid or some other basic policy that would not approve treatment that isn't on the border of life-threatening.

 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

And if it is deemed to be "just cosmetic" by a doctor, insurance usually won't pay for it.  It has to be "medically necessary."  A lot of what we see on DPP should be approved as "medically necessary" if a doctor submits documentation to an insurance company (before a procedure) because it is a "quality of life" issue.  

I suspect that a lot of these people are on medicaid or some other basic policy that would not approve treatment that isn't on the border of life-threatening.

 

I had a doctor order an MRI due to debilitating pain I had in my leg. Insurance denied it. He got on the phone with them and they still denied it. Insurance has the final say regardless. 

  • Useful 1
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post

During the hubby's prolonged cancer battle one of his proposed tests/treatments was denied...and I called the insurance myself (I have a medical background and always talked it over with someone 'in the know' before proceeding). The authorization clerk said there had been some confusion with his case because it was 'such a mess'...I got the procedure approved then reported her for being so incredibly unprofessional in her dealings with me. Never be too timid to ask for a supervisor or other higher-up...call the insurance yourself. Keep your voice professional and neutral...stand firm.

 

  • Like 7
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/21/2020 at 11:11 AM, libgirl2 said:

I had a doctor order an MRI due to debilitating pain I had in my leg. Insurance denied it. He got on the phone with them and they still denied it. Insurance has the final say regardless. 

That's horrible. My doctor got on the phone with the insurance company to fight for me to have an MRI and got it approved. As a result, the test revealed a massive cerebral aneurysm that I was thankfully able to get repaired. I had a ticking time bomb in my brain that could have killed me at any time. Insurance company employees are total uncaring bean counters.

  • Surprise 5
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

That's horrible. My doctor got on the phone with the insurance company to fight for me to have an MRI and got it approved. As a result, the test revealed a massive cerebral aneurysm that I was thankfully able to get repaired. I had a ticking time bomb in my brain that could have killed me at any time. Insurance company employees are total uncaring bean counters.

Thank God your doctor was able to get them to agree to it. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/17/2020 at 2:43 PM, GaT said:

I was glad to see the guy with the giant lump on his back that Dr Lee drained back, & I was happy that she found someone to do his surgery free of charge. I'm just surprised that we didn't get to see that doctor.

I was happy to see him again as well (and he looks so different now!) but I was a little confused at how they framed his return visit. At the end of his first appearance, she told him it would likely return and that she would work to find him a surgeon to help correct the issue. But on this episode, he acted like he just returned to her because it had come back and then she said at the end that she found someone as if that was some sort of new idea. It almost seemed like they filmed the first part with his lump returning to try and heighten the drama about it coming back. It just didn't seem to make sense since I thought she was already looking for his surgeon based on the first episode. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

As a result, the test revealed a massive cerebral aneurysm that I was thankfully able to get repaired. I had a ticking time bomb in my brain that could have killed me at any time.

You are so very lucky.  My sister in law found that she had one, but it exploded before they could repair it.  59 years too young. 😞

  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size