Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Pimple Popper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, xls said:

OMG thats nasty looking! 

He obvs has a fear of dentists too.

I am so happy that the bump was removed. That is the worst growth I have ever seen on the show.

• Love 9

It really did look like Lenny had necrotic tissue on top of that lipoma. The removal was not quite as vomit inducing as I feared it would be. It looked like an heirloom tomato.

I think the all-time grossest pop was the guy who had the huge cyst over his knee. Blech.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

That guy's mother in law seemed like bitch. She knew that he was self conscious about the bumps on his head, but she called him "lumpy." It seems as if she doesn't really like him. 

• Love 21
15 minutes ago, Hero said:

That guy's mother in law seemed like bitch. She knew that he was self conscious about the bumps on his head, but she called him "lumpy." It seems as if she doesn't really like him. 

What a bitchy thing to call him. He was such a nice guy too. I’m glad they could be removed and hope he sleeps better now.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, xls said:

OMG thats nasty looking! 

He obvs has a fear of dentists too.

It's probably not as much a fear of dentists as a lack of money to pay for one.  I really felt bad for him all around.

• Love 15

So Dr. Lee is, like all doctors, a liar and a fraud because she wanted pathology returned before she cut into that guy's huge festering protrusion? Sigh.

Did the necrosis on top of that lipoma just turn out to be infected skin? I may have missed Dr. Lee's explanation. Yet another time in my life that I'm grateful smellovision doesn't exist.

I'd like to salute the optimism of restaurants and food companies who think it's a good idea to advertise on this show.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
(edited)

It's becoming apparent just how dental care is not something that many people from lower economic groups can afford.  I really feel for them.  There are some clinics that offer reduced rate treatment, but, I also think that it might be a cultural thing too and that dental care is not highly regarded for some reason.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8

I was amused by Lenny's 6 weeks later shots, demonstrating that the topless cowgirl tat on his bicep now has her own head back, rather than a monstrous growth on top of her shoulders. I think there's definitely a link to poor dental hygiene, tattoos, and reality shows! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I did get a bit of a chuckle out of Lenny being afraid of the plague but pulling out a cigarette. You need to worry more about lung cancer Lenny! I did feel sorry for him and wish he could get some help for his phobias especially since he is older and could start to have medical issues soon.

I was also annoyed at the future MIL being more concerned with how the wedding pictures would look than the fact her plain looking daughter was marrying a cute, nice guy. Glad he got some relief from the bumps.

I never thought I would watch a show like this because I am squeamish but I draw the line at the new shows with people with crusty feet. I have a little dignity left lol!

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I thought it was odd how Lenny was so turned off by other people's germs when he was walking around with a horrible odor that smelled like a dead animal.  (That's according to his description.)  Man, glad I wasn't on his flight!

• Love 14
12 hours ago, Hero said:

She seems like one of those people who is constantly prodding people's soft spots and passes it off as "teasing." Not a fan.

4 hours ago, 2727 said:

So Dr. Lee is, like all doctors, a liar and a fraud because she wanted pathology returned before she cut into that guy's huge festering protrusion? Sigh.

I think it was just a combination of phobia and lack of information. None of that was rational thinking. He probably can't even explain what he means by "the plague."

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought it was odd how Lenny was so turned off by other people's germs when he was walking around with a horrible odor that smelled like a dead animal.  (That's according to his description.)  Man, glad I wasn't on his flight!

It was just funny, the lack of self-awareness on his part. There he is in a mask because someone might cough in the same room as him, and yet he was walking around with a giant, infected gob of flesh hanging off his arm, and no thought to wrapping it to protect himself or anyone else. That thing could've been wearing it's own mask. I'll be honest, if I was sitting in a doctor's waiting room, and someone coughed right next to me, I'd be a bit skeeved and would have one eye on their hands to see what they touched after (presumably) covering their mouth. But if Lenny sat next to me with that thing on his arm, I would be out of my chair before I'd even had a conscious thought about moving. I'd feel bad, and I'd pretend like I had to go to the bathroom or ask the receptionist a question, but I'd be gone.

His friend must have the patience of a saint.

• Love 14
(edited)

I recently had a doctor's appointment with a very well renowned expert. Patients wait for many months just to get to see him.  I got a fluke appointment pretty quick due to a last minute cancellation.  Yay for me, but, when he came in to greet me, he had the worst cold or flu! He apologized but, said he hated to cancel. I understood, but, he did not have a mask on and didn't offer me one!  I held my breath as he coughed and sneezed.  I was freaking out like crazy!!! Lucky for me, I didn't get sick!  He got pretty close to me too with the examination.  All I can figure is that I had had that bug before and was immune. 

Dr. Lee really cracks me up.  I bet her staff think she's crazy!  Lots of fun, but, I did raise an eyebrow when her staff member said that Dr. Lee has to get on them to clean the equipment properly.  I'd hope they had that kind of thing under control. lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

So many times the patients say that doctors have told them that nothing can be done about their growths.  I have a suspicion that the real story is that since the conditions aren't life threatening, removing them would be considered elective or cosmetic surgery and insurance won't pay for it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
23 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

It was just funny, the lack of self-awareness on his part. There he is in a mask because someone might cough in the same room as him, and yet he was walking around with a giant, infected gob of flesh hanging off his arm, and no thought to wrapping it to protect himself or anyone else. That thing could've been wearing it's own mask.

For real. I was laughing at the audacity of this guy being a germaphobe when he is walking around with a huge gaping open sore on his arm for who knows how long. He should have been wearing a mask so he couldn't smell the thing.

• Love 7
(edited)
11 minutes ago, camom said:

So many times the patients say that doctors have told them that nothing can be done about their growths.  I have a suspicion that the real story is that since the conditions aren't life threatening, removing them would be considered elective or cosmetic surgery and insurance won't pay for it.

I think that is the case almost all the time with these things. A couple of years ago, I had a cracked tooth. It couldn't be saved. They wanted to do an implant. Insurance wouldn't cover it saying it was a cosmetic thing. The tooth was in the back of my mouth. No one would see it.... hardly cosmetic. We were lucky we had the money for it but it was ridiculous. I could have bought half a car! I can't even imagine having to live with some awful growth because I can't pay to have it removed. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, Jadzia said:

He should have been wearing a mask so he couldn't smell the thing.

He should have put a mask on that thing.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I did get a bit of a chuckle out of Lenny being afraid of the plague but pulling out a cigarette. You need to worry more about lung cancer Lenny! I did feel sorry for him and wish he could get some help for his phobias especially since he is older and could start to have medical issues soon.

That was my favorite part!  He is so afraid of catching something from people coughing, but he runs outside, pulls away his mask, and smokes a cigarette!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I fell asleep (a new medication that really did make me drowsy) and missed it. What did it end up being? 

It was a cyst.

6 minutes ago, jabinlbc said:

I thought Lenny's growth was a lipoma?

I thought she said it was a cyst, but maybe I was to busy being grossed out to hear clearly LOL

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, GaT said:

it looked like he was growing another arm

When they first showed it, I kind of glanced at it and I actually thought it was an amputated limb!  Good grief - what is wrong with these people?!  That thing wasn't even healed.  He's lucky he didn't get some kind of staph infection, especially being a farmer (I think).  I couldn't live with something like that attached me.  My fear of cancer or THAT THING on his arm would have overcome my fear of doctors.

• Love 5
(edited)

Okay.  I have  a confession to make.  I actually have two lipomos!  I've had both for years.  No one really notices, even when I was super thin and in a swimsuit, unless, I point it out.  On both of the places, I had them checked out by surgeons to make sure they were not anything serious.  One did a needle biopsy, the other ultra sound.  Both doctors told me they would remove it if I wanted them to, but, there was no need. It was up to me. They didn't really bother me.  Insurance seemed a nonissue and that they would remove it no problem.  ??? So, I'm not sure, why some of these people don't get them removed earlier, unless they didn't have insurance.  I didn't do it, because originally, I wanted liposuction and my surgeon said, that would not work well on the lipoma and that an actual incision would be needed, so, I didn't bother.  Eventually, I stopped thinking about it. If they grew large, I would have them removed for sure.  If I had seen Dr. Lee back when I got mine, I'd have likely told them to take mine off right there in the office. lol 

My dad also has a lipoma!  His is on his back and is somewhat noticeable.   He's consulted a surgeon and may get it removed, although, it doesn't bother him. His insurance would pay, according to his surgeon.  Dad is 81 years old. 

I told daddy that he and I should go on Dr. Pimple Popper as a father/daughter duet!  We have family in CA so, it would be a nice trip!  I kid.  I'm much too private for something like that. lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I think there's definitely a link to poor dental hygiene, tattoos, and reality shows! 

I'd like to think that you mean the people on reality shows, and not the ones who comment on them.

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Don't forget the cigarette stench.

1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

When they first showed it, I kind of glanced at it and I actually thought it was an amputated limb!  Good grief - what is wrong with these people?!  That thing wasn't even healed.  He's lucky he didn't get some kind of staph infection, especially being a farmer (I think). 

They showed him in a mobile home park, doing handyman things like installing linoleum.  I loved it, because of the thought of tiny house hipsters living there when their friends' hospitality wears out and they have to find some place to legally put the thing.  Meet your new neighbor Lenny.

29 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Insurance seemed a nonissue and that they would remove it no problem.  ??? So, I'm not sure, why some of these people don't get them removed earlier, unless they didn't have insurance. 

If their doctor visits were a while back, before Obamacare, they probably didn't have insurance (just from armchair judging their financial condition).  Probably still don't, actually (more armchair judging).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, jabinlbc said:
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

That was some cyst! 

I thought Lenny's growth was a lipoma?

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but I'm pretty sure cysts are the spurty things, and lipomas are the fatty things. According to Dr. Lee, Lennie's thing was a 'beautiful flower' (of fat). 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

God that mother in law was such an asshole. I hope those two don’t end up having a child with any kind of physical deformities,cause that lady would make sure to remind that kid everyday how....such shitty things to say from a woman who doesn’t look like any prize herself.

Lenny did kinda seem over the top with his fears. I kept wondering if he actually only wanted the mask to hide his teeth. 

I was extremely surprised that his lump wasn’t anything serious or infected.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

God that mother in law was such an asshole. I hope those two don’t end up having a child with any kind of physical deformities, cause that lady would make sure to remind that kid everyday how....such shitty things to say from a woman who doesn’t look like any prize herself.

Lenny did kinda seem over the top with his fears. I kept wondering if he actually only wanted the mask to hide his teeth. 

I was extremely surprised that his lump wasn’t anything serious or infected.

I agree, especially about the Mother In Law From Hell. What a bitch. In the followup scene she actually "joked" about wanting to go along on their honeymoon. A joke that fell very flat. I wanted to tell that guy to just run and keep on running. With or without his fiance. Far far away from Monster-in-Law. 

Yep. Lenny was lucky he didn't end up with some nasty gnarly infection, with that un-healed sore on that huge lump on his arm. He obviously worked in dusty, dirty environments, indoors and outdoors (maintenance/repairs on cabins or mobile homes or whatever they were). His friend had the patience of a saint and I suspect was the driving force behind him applying for the show and keeping him on track. We saw one time where she literally had to talk him back into Dr. Lee's office. I bet there were many such occasions on the road to his getting treated by Dr. Lee.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

If their doctor visits were a while back, before Obamacare, they probably didn't have insurance

I keep forgetting about Obamacare. I was even on it for 1.5 years after getting laid off and before Medicare kicked in. My premium was $28/month for gold level on a part-time job income of around $15K. It had much better coverage than Medicare, too.

Some of Dr. Lee's patients have outright said they can't afford to go to the doctor, but maybe they also need an appointment with an ACA counselor!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, palmaire said:

I keep forgetting about Obamacare. I was even on it for 1.5 years after getting laid off and before Medicare kicked in. My premium was $28/month for gold level on a part-time job income of around $15K. It had much better coverage than Medicare, too.

It's amazing, isn't it.

But just a little PSA here--with income that low, it's possible that the best deal is to be on a silver plan because you get not only the subsidy, which reduces the premium, but also cost-sharing reductions, which can make the deductible $0 on a policy that has a $5,000 deductible without the CSRs, and the out-of-pocket maximum also dramatically reduced. 

It's pretty complicated dependent on individual situations, and not well known, which unfortunately isn't always the best match for people who have very low incomes (no offense, @palmaire!).

Some of Dr. Lee's patients have outright said they can't afford to go to the doctor, but maybe they also need an appointment with an ACA counselor!

True dat.  People with really low income, but above Medicaid limits, really can get excellent coverage for very low premiums.  And there aren't pre-existing condition limitations for the ones who have let things fester. 

It's tougher for people with livable incomes, because they're liable to be above the limit to get CSRs.  They'll still get a subsidy, which is good, but having low deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums makes it possible to actually get health care without going broke.

Of course in Lenny's case, you have to actually want the health care.  I thought it was just hilarious that he was scared of catching something in a dermatologist's office, never mind something that would be prevented by wearing a mask.  He must wear a hazmat suit with extra gloves when he goes to Walmart.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 6
(edited)
15 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I agree, especially about the Mother In Law From Hell. What a bitch. In the followup scene she actually "joked" about wanting to go along on their honeymoon. A joke that fell very flat. I wanted to tell that guy to just run and keep on running. With or without his fiance. Far far away from Monster-in-Law.

Never mind!

Edited by bilgistic
11 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Something tells me that that guy has never stood up to his mother in his life. I feel sorry for his wife, not him.

I thought that woman was his future mother in law, not his mother.

• Love 2

Regarding lipomas and doctor's and insurance:  My brother had a lipoma on his abdomen.  He had it for a few years and his doctor's did tell him not to mess with it, it wasn't bothering anything.  Then his gallbladder decided it hated him, and one of the ports would have to go in right where the lipoma was, so it had to go as well.  But still, even with insurance the portion he had to pay the doctor and hospital and all the other little things were ridiculous.  And they wanted it up front, so he had to wait until he could come up with the money BEFORE they would do surgery.  (It wasn't an emergency, just a sucky gallbladder.)  so even with insurance, even with ACA, even with savings, surgical procedures are no joke.  It's no wonder people leave things alone until it gets too bad to deal with.  And it might be a small mercy a doctor is willing to say "don't mess with it right now" instead of "let me do all the things and take all your money." 

• Love 1
On 3/8/2019 at 2:48 PM, camom said:

The other thing, too, is that health care in the US is highly variable in terms of accessibility, cost, and quality depending on where a person is.  In an area where there are large portions of the population that's uninsured, there are probably fewer providers and those providers may not be the highest quality.  That could explain a situation like Lenny's.

• Love 2

I cannot even imagine being on an airplane four times (to CA, back, to CA and back again) with someone who has this smelly, nasty thing hanging off of his arm. How was he even allowed on a flight? I do think he had a truly good friend in that lady who went with him. However, wearing a mask on his face even though he had that thing hanging off of his arm and the fact that he smoked (!) and had no front teeth, made me skeptical about his fear of the plague. This was a very interesting program for sure.

• Love 7
On 3/7/2019 at 10:32 PM, mmecorday said:

I think the all-time grossest pop was the guy who had the huge cyst over his knee. Blech.

Ah, yes.  That was the bump to end all bumps!  Unfortunately, my daughter walked into the room just as the oatmeal was oozing and now she thinks I'm really weird.

• LOL 2

I am strangely fascinated with this show. Most of this stuff doesn’t repel me (maybe because my son is a veterinarian and I’ve watched him perform surgery many times) but that toe doctor just turns my stomach. No way can I watch that stuff!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I think that fans of this show were expected to be watchers of Toe Bro, and a new foot doctor show on TLC, which I haven't seen.
I couldn't finish Toe Bro.

Me either, I turned it off.

• Love 3