Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Pimple Popper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just saw the last 20 minutes of this, but wow- the guy who had 14 lymphomas removed from his arms and chest! I'm sure his wife will just love that 'present', gross. Does Dr. Lee put a topical anesthetic on these people, they never mention this aspect.

The sad greasy-haired young woman with neck tags- again, was she anesthetized? I hope she healed up in time to wear the necklace. What I like about Dr. Lee is that she seems pretty empathetic to these folks, without pitying them.

I have to say, I feel like I should never complain about my little physical trials and tribulations after seeing this show!

• Love 3

The woman with the 50-year old blackhead ... I will never understand how people let shit like that go for so long. And on her face!

Sending out a hearty screw you to all the doctors who (allegedly) shrugged and told their patients just to live with their various disfiguring bumps: "It's not cancer, the end."

The teasers from next season look horrifying. We're way beyond cysts and pimples now.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, 2727 said:

The woman with the 50-year old blackhead ... I will never understand how people let shit like that go for so long. And on her face!

Sending out a hearty screw you to all the doctors who (allegedly) shrugged and told their patients just to live with their various disfiguring bumps: "It's not cancer, the end."

The teasers from next season look horrifying. We're way beyond cysts and pimples now.

Ain't that the truth. I also want to know if Jean 's lipomas will come back since Dr Lee indicated they were familial. Crazy

• Love 2

I could have done without the Christmas theme.  I highly doubt it was anywhere near Christmas when this was filmed and I also doubt they did all of this in one day. 

They really did go for some major cases - huge keloids, the 55 year old DPOW, 12 lipomas.  It does really bother me how hard it is do get doctor's to address these types of things.  Just because something won't kill you, it doesn't mean it's okay to ask someone to live with it. Some of these folks lived with these things for so long. 

• Love 4

I don't think this was on where I live, but thankfully, it's on OnDemand. That blackhead was ridiculous, that was a single pore I had no idea they could be stretched out that much.

Interesting that her husband is also a dermatologist & is at the same practice. I wonder how she got to be famous & he didn't?

2 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I could have done without the Christmas theme.  I highly doubt it was anywhere near Christmas when this was filmed and I also doubt they did all of this in one day. 

Yeah, I found the Christmas stuff to be annoying.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, GaT said:

I wonder how she got to be famous & he didn't?

Apparently she is REALLY into the stuff she films and he isn't. If he is working on someone that also has a huge cyst or some other pop that he thinks she will like and film, he sends the patients to her after he is done with his work (if they OK the filming).

There is a vid on YouTube showing her playing classical guitar. Both her father and brother also play. She has crazy talent for it. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

It does really bother me how hard it is do get doctor's to address these types of things.  Just because something won't kill you, it doesn't mean it's okay to ask someone to live with it. 

It could very well be that if it’s not medically necessary, insurance won’t pay for it. So it’s not so much that a doctor doesn’t want to address it, but that the patient can’t or won’t pay for the cosmetic procedure. 

I get the strong impression that DPP does these televised or taped-for-YouTube for free in exchange for permission to air. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, asemumma said:

It could very well be that if it’s not medically necessary, insurance won’t pay for it. So it’s not so much that a doctor doesn’t want to address it, but that the patient can’t or won’t pay for the cosmetic procedure. 

I get the strong impression that DPP does these televised or taped-for-YouTube for free in exchange for permission to air. 

That is very much it.  Insurance won't pay unless it is medically necessary.  Some doctors get very creative in writing things up so they will be covered.  I have been fortunate enough to be able to pay to have things removed that insurance would not cover.  At the same time, I have had doctors who have discouraged me from removing growths because "they'll grow back".  To my mind, unless it's going to grow back immediately, it's worth it, especially when it's on your face. 

I do think she does a lot of this work pro bono if the patient is willing to have it filmed.  This allows folks to get these things taken care of that they have been living with for years. 

• Love 5
18 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

That is very much it.  Insurance won't pay unless it is medically necessary.  Some doctors get very creative in writing things up so they will be covered. 

I was rewatching some of the shows tonight, and Ronen, the air steward, was having difficulty doing his job, and was having a lot of pain, and I was surprised that for that reason it wasn't covered.
The "Christmas show" theme seemed like kind of a send of  other Christmas specials, and a good excuse to have to longer show, with more pops.

• Love 1

We'll it didn't record, so I guess I missed it.  I do skip anything labelled as "bonus."  Thanks.
I haven't watched her youtubes, because  I have a desktop, and just use youtube for music and quick things.
I'll have to get a laptop, so I can watch curled up in bed, my preferred TV viewing place.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:13 PM, 2727 said:

I'm with you on this kiddo.  I kept thinking about it off and on all weekend - how, how, could you live with something like THIS on your face, a hard black thing about the size of a quarter!!  I couldn't do it, I just couldn't do.  I would find me somebody, somewhere to remove this thing once and for all way, way before 25 years had passed!  Unbelievable!

• Love 5
On 12/17/2018 at 7:40 AM, auntjess said:

We'll it didn't record, so I guess I missed it.  I do skip anything labelled as "bonus."  Thanks.
I haven't watched her youtubes, because  I have a desktop, and just use youtube for music and quick things.
I'll have to get a laptop, so I can watch curled up in bed, my preferred TV viewing place.

If you have Comcast, it's on OnDemand.

So I am home with the Christmas season flu and discovered this show yesterday.  Too weak to reach the remote I saw parts of two episodes.  One included a black man with fluid on his back; she took out about 15 syringes of fluid, but I fell asleep and have no idea what was causing the fluid build up.  He had had it removed before.  Anyone remember?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Too weak to reach the remote I saw parts of two episodes. One included a black man with fluid on his back; she took out about 15 syringes of fluid, but I fell asleep and have no idea what was causing the fluid build up. He had had it removed before. 

I'm stealing that as the reason I watch shows I know are dumb: "Too weak to reach the remote!"

The African American patient Delano  was not typical for this show in that it wasn't pimple or cyst related. As I recall, Dr. Lee had to research/consult on this and it turned out to be a buildup of lymphatic fluid called a lymphangioma, caused by a defect in the anatomy. He would need surgery to correct the problem or it will just keep filling up again. 

Poor guy. I hope Dr. Lee helped him find someone who'd fix it at no charge.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

As I recall, Dr. Lee had to research/consult on this and it turned out to be a buildup of lymphatic fluid called a lymphangioma, caused by a defect in the anatomy. He would need surgery to correct the problem or it will just keep filling up again. 

Thanks for the info; glad it is fixable.   I was able to reach the remote today to change from TLC to ID and catch up on Detective Kenda.

• Love 1
On 12/17/2018 at 7:40 AM, auntjess said:

I just saw that an expanded version is being shown after the premiere of season 2, so you can catch it then.

The one sister is going to go to town on the other sister’s face and back. The Good doctor basically gave her a lesson.  

Dr Lee’s pimple-fying of Christmas was gross. No one wants to associate Christmas tree ornaments with pus and those chicken fat looking things.

I enjoyed the pops, but I really really hated the ham handed attempts to make this a Christmas special.  Sometimes producers ruin shows with their stupid ideas. Just show the pops, people! We like the pops!

• Love 2

I would love it if sometime this forum would have a thread called “If you have a  limpoma, you’re exotic!”  Or something along those lines. Like “Smalltalk: exotic limpoma”

Edited by PityFree

I started watching a marathon of this show last night and was as grossed-out as I was entertained. But what I found most interesting is that one of Dr. Lee's patients suffered from the same skin condition I have for many years -- only I didn't know there was a name for it. My GP told me the same things hers did -- you need to lose weight, stop smoking, blah blah blah, all things doctors tell you when they really don't know what they're dealing with but are too proud to admit it. My skin condition isn't as bad as Dr. Lee's patient's was and it's actually gotten better as I've gotten older.

I really like Dr. Lee. She possesses the kindness and compassion a good doctor needs and she really listens to her patients. I've dealt with so many physicians who are dismissive and arrogant. Dr. Lee seems very down to earth while being completely competent and knowledgeable in her profession. That's very refreshing.

• Love 6

I appreciate her empathy a lot too. Normally this type of show I wouldn't be able to stomach, but I'm appreciating her explanations of things (and the awareness it brings to more unusual skin conditions, especially the disfiguring ones), the fact she isn't judging her patients (and I'm assuming in the US the money/health care issue is a big reason why a lot of people don't get these things taken care of sooner), and I really like how comfortable she makes people. There's never a "OMG!" shock when she sees someone's condition.

I also like that she has no qualms about treating them even if it is really cosmetic. I can't tell you how many doctors I've run into that have said since something isn't cancerous I should just live with it. I love that she understands that sometimes it's about more than that.

I also like that she lets them see, touch and ask questions if they want.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

That one person's neck looks like a bad burn.  I wonder what it is.

It reminded me of the pics I saw years ago of a man that was labeled "the elephant man" not sure what it was but I felt sorry for him. His whole face was like that :/

• Love 1

Ohhhh! That was good! I’m so happy for the man from the Philippines. His nose looks so much better than it did after she finished removing the thing on his nose! 

However, if the show runners are reading this forum: you can stop giving us fake conversations about how somebody’s head pimple or psoriasis is affecting their marriage.  I want patients with weird things getting removed, good follow-ups of how the scarring is looking, and more pops.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, PityFree said:

you can stop giving us fake conversations about how somebody’s head pimple or psoriasis is affecting their marriage.

Hey, the wife has to sweep up his skin flakes. How much can one person endure?

I was wishing Dr. Lee could also help Genner with his acne scars. His nose growth was easier to remove than I expected; I didn't think there would still be skin underneath.

I obviously wouldn't be watching this show if I was repulsed by the pops, but I could do without Dr. Lee's excitement over caramelized fat pockets and the constant comparisons to food. I'm trying to eat string cheese here!

• Love 4

I obviously wouldn't be watching this show if I was repulsed by the pops, but I could do without Dr. Lee's excitement over caramelized fat pockets and the constant comparisons to food. I'm trying to eat string cheese here!

She does that a lot! Maybe that's how she maintains her weight. She thinks, "This ricotta cheese looks just like something I drained from a guy's knee yesterday. Hard pass on the lasagna."

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Yep. I mentioned this last season. But it bears repeating. Stop comparing icky skin disorders to food, Dr Lee. Jeebus, that's disturbing. Wet newspaper is fine, sand, damp concrete is perfect. No. more. Food!

• Love 1

Yee gods, some of the stuff coming out of the lumps in those previews! Although the inside of that thing on the psoriasis guy's head was pretty horrid, too. I actually am appreciating learning about lipomas from this show; I worked for years with a woman who always had a lump growing somewhere on her head, which would 'disappear' after a vacation but new ones kept showing up. I thought they were some kind of tumour, but didn't feel comfortable asking. Now I know!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, PityFree said:

However, if the show runners are reading this forum: you can stop giving us fake conversations about how somebody’s head pimple or psoriasis is affecting their marriage.  I want patients with weird things getting removed, good follow-ups of how the scarring is looking, and more pops.

Thank you! That took me right out of the episode.  Especially since they were arguing about her trying to get him to go see Dr. Pimple Popper. Like, gee, what are these cameras doing here then if I’m not going to see her?

• Love 3

Here's a good life tip for you, don’t decide to have a little potato salad snack & then watch this show. Just sayin’.

I can’t believe how many lipomas she took out of that poor woman’s arms, I bet her scars will be almost invisible when she finishes healing.

I cringed the whole time she was working on the guy with the thing on his nose, you would think that was the kind of thing they would knock the patient out for. He certainly looked much better.

When she was examining the guy with psoriasis all I kept thinking was “why doesn’t she wear gloves?” She’s always touching people with her bare hands, aren’t doctors supposed to wear gloves to prevent the spread of disease? Though I have to admit, she really changed this guy’s life.

• Love 3

When she was examining the guy with psoriasis all I kept thinking was “why doesn’t she wear gloves?” 

Psoriasis can't be caught by touching someone's skin.  It is an autoimmune disorder.

I felt awful for the poor guy.  He must have been so uncomfortable.  Here's hoping that the drug he's taking doesn't cost the moon.

• Love 6

I cannot imagine having one thing removed from my body, let alone 68 things.  That woman was just radiating at the end of her very long procedure.  

I know a woman who has severe psoriasis.  I haven't seen her in quite some time, but I remember how much pain she was in during a flare-up.  It appears Cosentyx has a copay program, and it has a $16000 annual limit, and some people could qualify for a $0 copay.  I would guess they did something for him since Dr. Lee mentioned the name so many times.  

• Love 2

I thought the same thing about the brand name Cosentyx being mentioned so many times: they are paying for some of his meds and/or sponsoring the show.  I don’t remember any Cosentyx commercials though.

I do wonder why the guy with psoriasis haven’t tried an internal medication previously. Maybe insurance issues.

• Love 1

I do wonder why the guy with psoriasis haven’t tried an internal medication previously. Maybe insurance issues.

Probably because it is prohibitively expensive without insurance or some sort of drug assistance program.

• Love 2
On 1/3/2019 at 10:29 PM, 2727 said:

Hey, the wife has to sweep up his skin flakes. How much can one person endure?

So I take it that I'm not the only one who thought she was a bit of a hosebeast? "Your skin disorder is really affecting me!"

• Love 1
On 1/3/2019 at 11:26 PM, rhys said:

Yep. I mentioned this last season. But it bears repeating. Stop comparing icky skin disorders to food, Dr Lee. Jeebus, that's disturbing. Wet newspaper is fine, sand, damp concrete is perfect. No. more. Food!

It's what doctors do--we can't help it.  

• Love 3

Ok, I’m late to this show - just started watching this week - so I apologize if this question has been answered before. But a few days ago there was an “expanded” version of the show that included the guy from the Phillipines.  I had watched the original show so I sat down to watch the expanded version and for the life of me, I couldn’t tell any difference in the show at all. 

What is supposed to be the difference between the 2 shows?

On 8/2/2018 at 2:05 AM, DNR said:

Oh my God .... the genetic skin disorder the sister & brother were afflicted with was heartbreaking.(*neurofibromas) I thought the sister was bad and then the brother appeared onscreen. Can’t imagine the stares , comments & ridicule in public. The woman had such a nice personality.   I feel terrible for saying this but bro looked like something Hollywood’s Dreamworks special effects team came up with for a movie. ? I’ve never seen a person with this genetic mutation.

I just got hooked on this the other night when they did a marathon, and I was fighting a bad cold and was too weak to change the channel.  The disease the brother and sister have is either the same or related to the one that the Elephant man had.   I wish it had a cure or at least a better method of treating it than just removing a relatively small number of them at the time.  I wonder if they grow back.   She didn't mention the Elephant man so maybe it isn't exactly the same.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2019 at 10:08 PM, PityFree said:

I've kept all these shows on my DVR, an honor previously only afforded to Mike Holmes' early shows, and Disaster DIY.
When I rewatch them, I ff past all the talking, right to the pop.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:00 PM, mmecorday said:

Probably because it is prohibitively expensive without insurance or some sort of drug assistance program.

I was wondering about this too. Here's something on the cost, but don't remember the dose.
https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/cosentyx

22 hours ago, JJ1 said:

I had watched the original show so I sat down to watch the expanded version and for the life of me, I couldn’t tell any difference in the show at all. 

What is supposed to be the difference between the 2 shows?

Usually on TLC shows, the "bonus" scenes are labelled as such, and you can ff and catch it.  They're not usually worth the effort.

• Love 1

So, the girl with the cyst on her neck/shoulder had that when she was a little girl & her parents never took her to the doctor? 

That poor guy with all those tumors, I wonder why they didn't do something about the one near his eye? It looked like it was dragging his face down.

Why didn't they show what the black woman looked like when she healed? I really wanted to know.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, GaT said:

Why didn't they show what the black woman looked like when she healed? I really wanted to know.

I wonder if it was on purpose because it didn't turn out well?

There sure was a difference in attitude between the woman with the neck cyst and the one with seborrheic keratosis. Several patients have commented that one of the reasons they put off getting their lumps removed was their fear of surgery, but still. Calm down, tiny dancer. Dr. Lee's talking anesthesia technique was funny.

Dr. Lee stressed that neurofibromatosis can be "excruciating," but I was still a little uncertain why those smallish cysts would cause the guy so much pain.

Another episode that makes me grateful for my own diseases in comparison!

• Love 2