Type keyword(s) to search

Baked In Vermont - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
28 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I've never even thought of making eggs the way she did.  So I take it she doesn't add any cream to them?

I wondered the same thing! I will try her method next time. So glad we got to see Ruthie! Gesine's hubby and family are so attractive!

Edited by Spunkygal
(edited)
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I've never even thought of making eggs the way she did. 

That was quite interesting. I never add anything to the eggs but I have to wonder how it works with just one or two eggs since I would never eat a dozen at one time!  Guess I'll try it in a small frying pan to see how it goes.

I did look up the recipe on the Food Network website and it simply says to whisk the eggs and then cook them to a soft scrambled consistency. So the trick she showed was just on the show.

Edited by Kohola3
research

We made scrambled eggs Gesine's way this morning and they came out fantastic! They were pretty (you could actually see the whites and the yellow) and they were creamy. It was just me and Husband, so 4 eggs. Really made a difference!

• Love 1

OK, so I tried it this morning with 2 eggs.  Perhaps I didn't do it correctly - did you preheat your skillet @Westiepeach?  If so, how hot?  

I did like the fact that the whites and yellows were distinctly separate, looked very nice.  Mine were rather dry, though.  Maybe I waited too long to scramble them because the whites were dried out before the yolks seemed done enough for me.

56 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

OK, so I tried it this morning with 2 eggs.  Perhaps I didn't do it correctly - did you preheat your skillet @Westiepeach?  If so, how hot?  

I did like the fact that the whites and yellows were distinctly separate, looked very nice.  Mine were rather dry, though.  Maybe I waited too long to scramble them because the whites were dried out before the yolks seemed done enough for me.

I did preheat the pan a little bit to melt the butter. I did not let the whites cook all the way through, just until they were set. Then I broke the yolks and scrambled it. You may have cooked the whites too long. Mine were creamy, not dry.

2 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

You may have cooked the whites too long.

I think so, too.  And I may have had the pan too hot.  Will definitely give it another go!

I love this show! I forget when it’s on so I always have to check the guide on my TV. Imagine a cooking show that’s actually about, you know, cooking! No crafts, no jokes, no cocktails, no stupidity. I haven’t made any of her recipes yet but I sure will look them up and try some of them like her chicken pot pie. I find her personality very sweet and pleasing. She seems to really want people to enjoy baking and preparing foods for their friends/family. Could we please have more shows like this?!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I love this show! I forget when it’s on so I always have to check the guide on my TV. Imagine a cooking show that’s actually about, you know, cooking! No crafts, no jokes, no cocktails, no stupidity. I haven’t made any of her recipes yet but I sure will look them up and try some of them like her chicken pot pie. I find her personality very sweet and pleasing. She seems to really want people to enjoy baking and preparing foods for their friends/family. Could we please have more shows like this?!

With you! Love the show. Love actually learning something while I watch!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

Imagine a cooking show that’s actually about, you know, cooking!

It is such a refreshing show and I love her personality.  I am making the crumble buns for company in a couple of weeks so will have to report back on those.  Love her practical tips as well.  Never thought about sprinkling gelatin over a large surface like that - seems simple but no one has ever mentioned it before.  I hope this show keeps on coming!

• Love 1

I'm hoping she makes a gooseberry pie. They are so yummy but a lot of work as the berries have both a top & bottom, well "stem" that has to be cut off. I realize one isn't a stem, but humor me. Anyway, Gesine just might have a trick up her sleeve on how to de-stem those pesky delicious berries. Otherwise it's back to the manicure scissors.

Love the show. Yay! A cook!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, rhys said:

I'm hoping she makes a gooseberry pie.

Not sure what a gooseberry is.  I've heard of them in Canada but haven't every had one.  Does it have a resemblance to any other berry?

They are green but can have a tinge of purple. They are smooth. Generally they are tangy/tart so they need a fair amount of sugar. They are small--smaller than the tip of my little finger so prep is laborious. I don't know how to put pictures here.

My favorite thing on this show was Gesine's edible flower arrangement.  Those cookie flowers were precious!  It seemed to me that the sanding sugar lost considerable color after the cookies were baked, however, and I wondered if there was a remedy for that.  Would a glaze, then sanding sugar after the baking work?  They looked so pretty with their bright colored decorations.  It was a bit of a letdown to see them fade away.

6 hours ago, Lura said:

It seemed to me that the sanding sugar lost considerable color after the cookies were baked, however, and I wondered if there was a remedy for that.

I think it's the caramelization of the sugar that causes the colors to fade. That happens around 340 degrees so not much you can do about it if you want the cookies to be baked.  (I watch too much America's Test Kitchen - all that science!)

OK, reporting in on the crumble buns.

First of all, they are pretty labor intensive.  Gesine effortlessly completes three bakes in a half hour show while reality is a bit different!  

Second, they were very, very good but also very, very sweet.  I would suggest them for more a dessert than a breakfast food

Third, they are freaking HUGE!  I used a 12X9 pan because they would not fit in a 9X9 pan.

Fourth, it was difficult to judge "doneness" with these because of the crumbles on top. You have no idea because you don't see any color.  I probably would leave them in at least another 5 minutes.

Fifth, I only made a half recipe of the crumbles and that was plenty for the pan of buns.

Sixth, they really ARE tender using the mashed potato flakes!

• Love 2
22 hours ago, rhys said:

Gesine does a much better job remembering what leftovers are in her frig than I do. The doubling trick was pretty neat.

rhys, I watched the leftovers show & enjoyed it, but don't know what you mean about the "doubling trick" (my memory is long gone, for anything).  Can you explain?  Thanks. 

24 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

rhys, I watched the leftovers show & enjoyed it, but don't know what you mean about the "doubling trick" (my memory is long gone, for anything).  Can you explain?  Thanks. 

The trick of how to tell if your dough has doubled after rising. She put a pinch of dough in a little vial type vessel, marked the top of the dough and then when it had doubled, it had risen above the mark she made, so you could see it had doubled. This was in her baking class segment.

2 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

Oh!  I must have been out of the room during that part -- how clever!  Simple, but smart (& something I never thought of).  Thanks!

Don't leave the room! You might miss adorable Ruthie with her ever eager face!!

• Love 1

When this show started on Food Network & I hadn't yet had a chance to watch it, I'd see adoring comments about Ruthie & ignored them because I assumed she was a child.  Now that I realize she's a dog, I appreciate her properly & agree she's always worth watching.

Gotta try that baking powder trick for crispy chicken skin!

Making the Devils Cream Cake this week but a half portion - I have a small springform pan. Will report back!

• Love 3

I appreciate that she throws in other tidbits than just baking. I will definitely try her mom's sauce for green beans. I love horseradish and whole grain mustard together. That sauce would be good even served with baked salmon. 

I used to bake chickens but, really, my local Kroger and my local Walmart do such an incredible job with chickens that I just buy one at one of those stores. 

• Love 1

The cake baked in hollowed out oranges? Genius. Must try as I love all things creamsicle. I'm a tad surprised they got enough orange flavor from the shell alone. I thought she was going to use the segments somehow in the came recipe.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, rhys said:

The cake baked in hollowed out oranges? Genius.

Dying to try this! I am thinking it might be easier in an oven, though.  I am never too sure about consistency in my grill.

4 hours ago, Motor City said:

I did not catch the whole segment on the cake baked in an oranges, but what did Gesine do with the pulp and juice from the orange?  Did she put it in the cake batter?

Nope.  Just set them aside, I assume to eat later.  Or squeeze for juice.

I somehow stumbled on to this and am watching my first episode (ice cream cookies, grilled creamsicle cakes inside oranges, and homemade pizza dough). I am enjoying it and learning new things already - and I can use all the help I can get!

2 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I had a new episode this week--the one with the knitting club and the ice-cream cake.

Me, too. I was surprised.  I think the DVR taped it at a really odd hour, though.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I had a new episode this week--the one with the knitting club and the ice-cream cake.  Or was that just new to me? I somehow managed to miss the whole first season.

That was a repeat. It was the the second episode from the first season.

28 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I thought it might be.  I went to see if there were any references to it in the board for the first season, but I didn't see any (or missed those, too).  Thanks!  I'm glad I got to watch it either way.

The board wasn't created until the end of the first season so there would be less reaction to specific first season episodes. 

Fans of this show should be as incensed as I am about how moving BIV to the wee hours of Sunday ruined her viewership. Look at the latest ratings. It's the lowest performing show.