Type keyword(s) to search

Baked In Vermont - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I hope she returns for another season. I used to DVR The Kitchen and hate-watch for the snark but I have removed it. It was grossing me out and I am happy to take my meager viewership elsewhere. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Any thoughts on contacting FN?  Or will it be a waste of time?

It may not be a waste of time but surely they know that any show slotted for that time will struggle. I am part dinosaur and am not on FB, Twitter or any other social media that you young whipper snappers use these days! 

As a huge salmon fan, that salmon en croute she made looked absolutely scrummy (a la Mary Berry) and I am going to try that for sure.  The potatoes looked really good as well. 

I learned that water does not totally seize up chocolate which I have heard over and over.  Interesting recipe for mousse and one I could certainly do in a pinch since mine has never once been a chocolate free household for more than 30 seconds.

Not that I would make my own phyllo dough, I'm not totally insane.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I learned that water does not totally seize up chocolate which I have heard over and over.  Interesting recipe for mousse and one I could certainly do in a pinch since mine has never once been a chocolate free household for more than 30 seconds.

That was something new I learned as well. I thought about her chocolate mousse all day yesterday and clearly I need to make it,

Not that I would make my own phyllo dough, I'm not totally insane.

After seeing them make phyllo on GBBO during the Frances season (speaking of Mary Berry) I knew I would never make it, Gesine made it seem easy and it probably is but still.... I want to try some or all of those things she put in hers for sure.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/4/2018 at 3:00 PM, Kohola3 said:

Any thoughts on contacting FN?  Or will it be a waste of time?

I certainly would love to join in and contact FN.  Just another example of how any decent instructional show gets canned quickly.  Did FN move BIV to introduce "Girl Meets Farm?" If so, that's  kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Both are decent new shows and deserve a chance. I don't watch FN much on Sunday mornings, so I could be wrong. 

In any case, I would certainly like to know the reason for the time switch. 

Edited by CharlizeCat

The last show I watched, the one on which Gesine made petit fours and a cake for the girl next door's graduation party, illustrated perfectly what I find to be dull about this show sometimes.  It was all "watch Gesine and learn," which is fine, but the ordinary busy housewife is not going to be concocting such fancy desserts on a regular basis.  While I admire Gesine's skills, I'm looking for recipes that I can make for family and friends, not three-tiered stacked and lavishly decorated meringue cakes.  Once again, I found myself missing Gale Gand's show.  I learned so many techniques from her, and her desserts were always appropriate for the home baker..

I suppose it's all to each his/her own. In subsequent and even previous shows from that graduation episode she's made things I won't but she's also made things I will or things I'm on the fence on but willing to try. The fancy dessert(s) was for a special occasion all her things aren't that... involved. So the average housewife might make the time for a special occasion. As for watching for things you can make there are plenty of shows on PBS or Create that can give you that (I've no doubt you know this) I watch those too. But hey, you can of course find whatever you want boring or dull, we all have different barometers.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, mishy said:

I suppose it's all to each his/her own.

I have actually learned new techniques and tips from her and tried several recipes.  I admit that I would not make my own phyllo dough but I did do the salmon en croute with store bought dough and it was wonderful. I have made the devils cream cake several times (as has my sister) and have gotten rave reviews and it's very simple.  So not all of her things are out of range.  The chocolate mousse had 2 ingredients and water so hardly pushes the limits for any cook/baker!

• Love 2

I've been baking since I was a teenager, and I've still managed to pick up some very useful tips by watching Gesine.  I would definitely not think of her as boring.  If anything, I wouldn't mind if she dialed back on the cutesiness a little.  But with the exception of the phyllo dough, I haven't seen her do anything I think is not worth making or beyond my abilities.  No one forces people to watch shows they find boring, so I don't understand why that's even a problem.

• Love 5

At last!  I watched the show about a picnic for two on their anniversary, and I LOVED IT!  She seemed so happy, and her recipes looked scrumptious.  Most of all, they were doable for the home cook/baker.  I will be making every single one of them.  My Austrian-born neighbor taught me how to make phyllo dough, so I'm all set. 

• Love 2
(edited)

It's about half and half for me.  There are some things that she does that I will absolutely try.  Or might try.  Let's face it, I love watching cooking shows but whether or not I do it depends on how labor intensive it is (even if I think I could do it) and how many ingredients I'd need to buy.

And there are some things I just won't ever do--like make phyllo dough.  Or, for that matter, pipe whipped cream around the berries she puts in between layers.  Those berries can go right on top a flat layer of whipped cream, thank you very much. Or they can get mixed in.

Edited by Irlandesa

The show works for me. It hits the right notes of "I wouldn't even bother," to "Yeah. maybe," to "I can and will make that."  From a show hosted by a professional baker who runs her own school, I expect to occasionally see something OTT that I don't have the skill, time or patience for (e.g. that red, white and blue jelly roll cake.) Also, while the little flower decorations for the petit fours probably aren't really that difficult to make, it was just the sheer volume and amount of time involved that convinced me that it looked too "fancy and difficult." 

I've also noticed that Gesine has been adding a lot more savory dishes to her repertoire.  I mean main dishes and not something like Parmesan puffs (looking at Lorraine Pascale), biscuits with herbs or the mandatory Beef Wellington. 

I think that what I like best are the plethora of tips. I have tried many of Gesine's tips and they work. I am especially excited to try the chocolate mousse made with water. I also know now how to properly slice Hasselback potatoes, if I ever decide to make them.

I'm afraid that without the "quirk" and "cuteness" factors, Gesine could come across as very serious and austere.  I can easily picture her being all business, no nonsense when she needs to.  It's obvious that she's extremely intelligent and sharp and probably thinks very fast on her feet.  Not somebody I would want to cross.  LOL!

I Gesine, Ray, Ruthie and the show a lot and hope it can make it to a third season.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CharlizeCat said:

I can easily picture her being all business, no nonsense when she needs to. 

I think so too but I also think she'd be a person I'd like to take classes from. I have tried a couple of her tips as well.

And the Devil's Cream Cake has become my go-to dessert for guests; it's really quite easy especially using her tip for gelatin.  I make half a recipe, though, in a 5 inch springform.  Perfect size for a small group.

• Love 1

Since I have been known to eat lemon curd right out of the jar, I think that bread looked absolutely scrumptious.  May have to try that when I have guests - too big for one person.  I have always hated mac and cheese but that did look better than most.  And you can't ruin brownies!

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

May have to try that when I have guests - too big for one person. 

I liked your post but I think I liked it too soon.  What is this "too big for one person" nonsense? I'd polish it off in two days, I suspect.

14 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

And you can't ruin brownies!

Yes you can--by putting frosting on it. I'd kind of love to try to do a campfire brownie, though.

The mac and cheese is a little too thick for me. I like it a bit runnier.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'd kind of love to try to do a campfire brownie, though.

It kind of reminded me of my childhood when there was an Aunt Jemima Easy Mix Coffee Cake mix with the same idea.  All of the dry ingredients were already mixed in a plastic bag in the box and it came with a little paper baking tray.  You'd dump egg and milk in the bag and squish it around and then dump it in the tray.  There was a little envelope of topping.  We'd fight over who got to do the squishing!

Sigh, those were the days....

• Love 2

It broke my father's heart when those Aunt Jemima Coffee Cake mixes stopped being made a few years ago.  He fondly remembers his little kids using them to make a treat for breakfast when our mom was sleeping in on the weekend.  He continued buying them as long as they were available, though he agreed with me that it's easier to whisk ingredients in a bowl than to squish them in a plastic bag.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

...it's easier to whisk ingredients in a bowl than to squish them in a plastic bag.

So true.  But that little cardboard pan was so cute!  And there was something about squishing the bag and watching the egg yolk start to blend in.  Everything fun disappears!

• Love 1

I can't believe she forgot the butter & had to grease the brownie pan with bacon fat! Geez. I like bacon, but I'm hoping that was a super fine layer. All I could think of was the vegetarian s in my family (& I would have to eat their brownie).

Also, I want Gesine to apply to be on Great British Bake Off.

• Love 2

I've gone from someone who was "eh" about Gesine and her show to becoming a real fan of hers.  I think she turned the corner for me when she began cooking.  At first, it seemed like she was baking so many tricky things that I would never attempt, but as soon as her baking also incorporated cooking, I looked at her with new eyes.

Gesine seems to be the epitome of a woman with a dream who kept working at it until she made it come true.  She got her bakery, her baking school, and her television show by working hard and never losing sight of the end results.  I admire her for her "stick-to-it-ive-ness" and truly enjoy watching her.  In my mind, there are two FN hosts who are born teachers: Anne Burrell and Gesine Prado.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I just noticed on my on-screen guide that there'll be a mini-marathon of this show on Wednesday morning, starting at 10, in case anyone's interested in catching any missed episodes.

She was also a judge on the Christmas Cookie Challenge recently.  It was so nice to have her on the screen again.

• Love 3

More episodes airing this coming Wednesday morning.  I don't know if this is set to be a weekly thing, but they're going to run out of episodes pretty fast at this rate. A couple of the ones they're showing this week are the same as they showed last week.  A little weird, but maybe they're trying to see if there's still an audience for it.  She says hopefully.

• Love 1

For anyone who's interested (and didn't already know about this), King Arthur Flour is running a series on their YouTube channel called The Isolation Baking Show, starring Gesine and Jeffrey Hamelman of KA.  I don't know how long it's scheduled to keep going, but there are about ten or a dozen episodes so far. It's really nice to have her back in some format, and Jeffrey is great. The first thing I'm going to watch after I clear my desk of the current work project is the bagel episode.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

For anyone who's interested (and didn't already know about this), King Arthur Flour is running a series on their YouTube channel called The Isolation Baking Show, starring Gesine and Jeffrey Hamelman of KA.  I don't know how long it's scheduled to keep going, but there are about ten or a dozen episodes so far. It's really nice to have her back in some format, and Jeffrey is great. The first thing I'm going to watch after I clear my desk of the current work project is the bagel episode.

I love Gesine and follow her on Twitter. In addition to posts about this baking series with Jeffrey, she has other interesting posts about their delightful farm, Ruthie, the ducks and other stuff. She is a true delight.

• Love 1

If you decide to subscribe to Discovery+, you’ll get all six episodes of Baked In Vermont. I can’t believe this show only got six episodes. They need to bring it back, even if it’s digital only.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Automne said:

If you decide to subscribe to Discovery+, you’ll get all six episodes of Baked In Vermont. I can’t believe this show only got six episodes. They need to bring it back, even if it’s digital only.

This would be the ONLY show I would consider paying yet another service to watch. She is precious, love her dogs and house and especially love how she inspires me to try to bake. 

Sometimes Cooking Channel re-airs FN shows and I recently rewatched several BIV episodes. Delightful as always!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2
On 2/2/2021 at 11:39 AM, Automne said:

Baked in Vermont had 16 episodes. There were two seasons. Season 1 was 6 episodes and season 2 10 episodes.

• Love 2